Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

1 hour ago, German Canuck said:

No because the only two players we are missing in comparison to the last offseason are Kuzmenko and Cole

I don't think last off season is all that relevant because I don't think we have the degree of playoff success taht we had without Lindholm and Zadorov. We now have a big (literally) hole to fill on D.

1 hour ago, Spoosh said:

Panthers maybe?

That would be a pretty sweet F U to Tampa. If we don't sign him I hope he stays in Florida.

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Careful what you ask for....Remember "Messier" & "Sundin"?  LOL 

The right fit also matters IMO  

Sundin actually played well for us in the playoffs, it took him half a season to get into shape though. If Luongo didn't let in 7 softies against Chicago in game 6, we probably go on to win the cup that year. Sundin wasn't the problem and he benefited the Sedins long term. Both he and Naslund scored 2 goals each in game 6 which we lost 7-5 IIRC. I'd happily give stammer the Sundin deal.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty high price to pay if you’re not certain though.

You would think he gave them a strong indication he would sign with them.

Ehrhoff had his rights traded twice in 2011 and neither team signed him. Also, still waiting for that Tanev 'extension' in Toronto!

• Like 1

Just now, iinatcc said:

But Canucks are fumbling here I feel. Leafs, Utah, and now the Bolts have went ahead of the Canucks in securing either a player or their rights 

There's more options than just Guentzel lol. We still have a day before free agency even opens. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't think last off season is all that relevant because I don't think we have the degree of playoff success taht we had without Lindholm and Zadorov. We now have a big (literally) hole to fill on D.

That would be a pretty sweet F U to Tampa. If we don't sign him I hope he stays in Florida.

Sundin actually played well for us in the playoffs, it took him half a season to get into shape though. If Luongo didn't let in 7 softies against Chicago in game 6, we probably go on to win the cup that year. Sundin wasn't the problem and he benefited the Sedins long term. Both he and Naslund scored 2 goals each in game 6 which we lost 7-5 IIRC. I'd happily give stammer the Sundin deal.

Maybe but there is still enough time to fill these holes.

I dont get why some people press the panic buttom at this early stage of the upcoming season.

Edited by German Canuck

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't recall him having a great regular season I guess. Until he signed with us he always seemed to be a PPG+ player. 

He was great for the Sedins AND Kesler IMO...Kes had high praise for Sundin in helping him take his game to the next level.  

I think the price of Guentzel's rights indicates that they're not that close to signing anything. If TB really thought it was a foregone conclusion that they'd get this contract done, I don't think they would've ponied up a pretty significant asset relative to what rights usually get traded for.

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Google Dan Hamhuis if you don’t remember 

One instance 14 years ago when Philly didn't give up a pick as high as a 3rd isn't a legit example lol.  

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

I think it was Philly and pit 

Regardless of who it was, giving up a pick as high as a 3rd is a pretty strong indicator they're signing him.