Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Let’s not ignore that to make this work they shipped out Jeannot and Sergachev for peanuts. 

so they need and if they miss on Guentzel they still need a winger and replacements for Jeannot, Moser is not as good as Sergachev either so they will likely need a reliable depth dman too. 

Again, I don't blame them for being this aggressive. They've slipped in the power rankings, and if they tried running it back again with the same group, they'd almost certainly fall short. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Again, I don't blame them for being this aggressive. They've slipped in the power rankings, and if they tried running it back again with the same group, they'd almost certainly fall short. 

I don't blame them either but they’re not a lock to improve like inatcc is claiming either. That’s a lot of holes to fill for a 3rd and a player who can walk anyway. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't blame them either but they’re not a lock to improve like inatcc is claiming either. That’s a lot of holes to fill for a 3rd and a player who can walk anyway. 

Ultimately, Jake gets to decide where he goes. These days, becoming a Canucks feels a hell of a lot more appealing than becoming a Lightning player, and I cannot be convinced otherwise.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, kettlevalley said:

Why would he wait this long and not wait another day until he can he can hear all the offers and pitches?  I just can't see Tanev or Guentzel signing today. 

When you think about it, the Canucks most sought after pieces are Guentzel and Tanev. This likely reflects how other teams view them, too. So I don't blame either Toronto or Tampa for making these moves in an attempt to get the first crack at them. That's not to say that either will sign, though. It's a roll of the dice. 

8 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Ultimately, Jake gets to decide where he goes. These days, becoming a Canucks feels a hell of a lot more appealing than becoming a Lightning player, and I cannot be convinced otherwise.

Being an American born player, living in Florida, less tax, less travel for starters. But if he wants to win another cup and have better stats, even with TB's big 3 still there, Id easily say Canucks have the better opportunity for that.

18 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Why would he wait this long and not wait another day until he can he can hear all the offers and pitches?  I just can't see Tanev or Guentzel signing today. 

Life priorities? For example I just recently accepted a job offer that had the salary I was looking for. However around when the offer was presented another company (which looks to be better) wanted to interview me for a job that was willing to give me a slightly higher salary.

I only had less than a week to decide on the job offer. So it was a question of not taking the offer so I can risk for the other job or just take it.

So for Guentzel's and Tanev's case Tampa and Toronto could offer them a very good deal they already really like, so why risk not taking the offer that is presented just in hopes another organization might have a better offer? 

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Life priorities? For example I just recently accepted a job offer that had the salary I was looking for. However around when the offer was presented another company (which looks to be better) wanted to interview me for a job that was willing to give me a slightly higher salary.

I only had less than a week to decide on the job offer. So it was a question of not taking the offer so I can risk for the other job or just take it.

So for Guentzel's and Tanev's case Tampa and Toronto could offer them a very good deal they already really like, so why risk not taking the offer that is presented just in hopes another organization might have a better offer? 

Except they can circle back and take the existing offer if they don't like the other offers. 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Guentzel is THE top dog in FA he’d be crazy not to at least hear out the open market. 

36 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

You're comparing possibly 6 figures and perhaps a low number of interested groups to high 8 figures that multiple teams are willing to shell out. It's not even close. He'll have 1 to 2 months to say yes 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Well Tanev for sure won’t because Toronto would be mad to offer him 8 years. So he’ll get the same offer from a handful of teams then it’s choose where you and the family would like to live. Guentzel though could very well get the 8th year so unless he’s dead set on a location (cough Vancouver cough) I could see his deal getting done because that’s a difference of likely 8 million more he could get from Tampa then other teams.

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

When you think about it, the Canucks most sought after pieces are Guentzel and Tanev. This likely reflects how other teams view them, too. So I don't blame either Toronto or Tampa for making these moves in an attempt to get the first crack at them. That's not to say that either will sign, though. It's a roll of the dice. 

Canucks fans, not necessarily the canucks

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well Tanev for sure won’t because Toronto would be mad to offer him 8 years. So he’ll get the same offer from a handful of teams then it’s choose where you and the family would like to live. Guentzel though could very well get the 8th year so unless he’s dead set on a location (cough Vancouver cough) I could see his deal getting done because that’s a difference of likely 8 million more he could get from Tampa then other teams.

They can't offer him 8 years, only 7 I think

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

When it is clear that Tampa can't give him the AAV that others can?  There are teams around the floor right now while Tampa was low balling Stamkos.  

18 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tampa can’t offer 8 only Carolina can. 

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

How has the contract not been signed yet.

There's a good chance JG may simply want to test the UFA market.  It's his last big contract, why not see what's out there?

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Canucks fans, not necessarily the canucks

Canucks have been in on Guentzel and Tanev since the deadline. Extensively, don't know why you think it’s just Canuck fans…

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 2