Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

There's a good chance JG may simply want to test the UFA market.  It's his last big contract, why not see what's out there?

With the likely result of Reinhart staying in Florida Jake would be crazy not to weigh offers 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Vancan said:

Being an American born player, living in Florida, less tax, less travel for starters. But if he wants to win another cup and have better stats, even with TB's big 3 still there, Id easily say Canucks have the better opportunity for that.

I wouldn't underestimate the Bolts ability to retool and become a contender in a few years. 

There's a reason nhy Tampa has been as good as it has been, it's because solid front office management team.

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Isn't Reinhardt the top dog?  

Well there is this guy 

i.png

Really if he can be had for 4 x 2 years. I would go for it 

Edited by iinatcc

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well there is this guy 

i.png

Really if he can be had for 4 x 2 years. I would go for it 

a) there's no way he's coming west 

b) there's most likely no way he's coming north of the border 

c) there's no way in hell he's coming to vancouver

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Tampa can’t offer 8 only Carolina can. 

They traded for Guentzels rights before the season is officially over. Doesn’t that mean because he’s Tampa property before the end of the season now Tampa can offer the 8 years?

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

They traded for Guentzels rights before the season is officially over. Doesn’t that mean because he’s Tampa property before the end of the season now Tampa can offer the 8 years?

Nope only Carolina can 

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

no, it doesn't. 7 years is now the max for guentzel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Idk who this person is or if they're reliable or not

Screenshot_20240630_182234_X.jpg

Reliable source or not, that does make some sense.  That TBL core is on the downswing.  If anything, I think JG would want a team on the upswing.  Whether it's the Canucks or another team, it makes most sense if he's signing for 7 years to have a solid chance of winning a Cup for more than half of those years.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I don’t think Canucks would seriously want him 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

As others have already pointed out: no. 

For those wondering why this is:

A team may only offer an 8 year deal if the player was "on the club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent trade deadline."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Idk who this person is or if they're reliable or not

Screenshot_20240630_182234_X.jpg

no idea who that person is either, but that's been my thought process as well. tampa is declining, not improving.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

And shipping out Jeannot and Sergachev for peanuts does not improve them either 

this is my thought with the tanev situation in toronto as well. does he see them as offering him a legitimate chance to win in the the next couple years? 

• Cheers 1

TB has 16 of 23 signed with 16.5 in cap space 

so how will they sign 6 more players with 8.5 or 7.5 or 7 mill in cap 

looking at < 1 mill per player 

that would be a league record in terms of number of contracts on a 23 msn roster at 1 million or less 

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

JG wants to win and if they want to Canucks could prob give him most money of any team 

If I'm JG, I seriously consider Vancouver.  If he feels he can take Pettersson's offence to the next level, then surely the Canucks would be a legitimate Cup winning threat for several years.  Not many teams could boast a 40 goal scorer on each of the top 2 lines, plus a Norris winning defenceman and a Vezina candidate goaltender.

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Carolina can still offer 8 

Why is that?  I read the CBA as saying that the player must be with the team "as of and since the most recent trade deadline."

Wouldn't the fact that he has not been with Carolina "since the most recent trade deadline" negate their ability to offer 8?

Furthermore, Carolina doesn't have bargaining rights, and so can't even make an offer until Guentzel is an unrestricted free agent.  My understanding is that the ability to sign 8 year deals expires at midnight before the opening of free agency.  So they can't offer him 8 now, because they can't negotiate.  And they can't offer him 8 on July 1st either?

18 minutes ago, tas said:

No thanks to either of the ebony & ivory Kane cancers.

• Upvote 1