GML 2024-25 (One expansion space available!)

FREE AGENCY:

First off thank you to this membership for all the activity and exciting times during Free Agency! all of your time is appreciated.

We have completed over 50 signings, about 1/5 of the NHL level player pool in Restricted & Unrestricted free agents with a host of prospects as well.

An observation noted and what teams can expect,

There is a growing number of teams who are offering salaries that would put them above the salary cap and are offering roles to free agents that would bump under contract players down down down their lineups out of position.

We get it, we all want that new shiney toy. Are eyes can be bigger than are stomachs and so on.

So you may find agents asking more and more for you the GM to provide an up to date depth chart. Really take a minute and consider if presenting a depth chart where borderline 2/3 dman should be showing on your bottom pair so you can squeeze another top four blueliner in for the sake of the contract offer. It raises red flags with agents but also notes that in the example above a player may not be thrilled with their sudden lower placement in the lineup.

I would urge all clubs to take that extra minute and draw up your lineup and be honest with yourself where your free agent targets fit.

There is always wiggle room, a gray area but agents don't like to see under contract players bumped down to make a free agent offer look better and agents eye roll at the " we plan on trading out x player so your client will fit in ". If you don't have the roster space or you font have the cap or role that is all groovy just find the right players.

Not meant as a rant or a negative just an observation where some teams may want to reconsider or put a little more thought into.

Thanks everyone!

• Thanks 2

SIGNING: The Minnesota Wild have signed Olli Maatta to a three-year contract.

small.png: Olli Maatta - Three-year contract worth $9.0 million dollars ($3.0m per season)

----------------------------------

arby18_ AGENCY

• Cheers 1

SIGNING: The Minnesota Wild have signed Derek Forbort to a two-year contract.

small.png: Derek Forbort - Two-year contract worth $3.0 million dollars ($1.5m per season)

----------------------------------

arby18_ AGENCY

SIGNING: The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Tanner Jeannot to a 5-year contract.   

small.png Tanner Jeannot: Five-year contract worth $15 million dollars ($3m per season)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

SIGNING: The New Jersey Devils have signed Reilly Smith to a 5-year contract.   

small.png Reilly Smith: Five-year contract worth $26.75 million dollars ($5.35m per season) with a NMC for years 1-2 (will wave for expansion draft however) and a NTC for years 3-5

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

SIGNING: The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed Austin Roest to a 2-year contract.   

small.png Austin Roest: Two-year contract worth $1.8 million dollars ($900k per season)

Edited by Lethunder

SIGNING: The Vancouver Canucks have signed Zack Ostapchuk to a 3-year contract.   

small.png Zack Ostapchuk: Three-year contract worth $5.25 million dollars ($1.75 per season)

• Vintage 1

SIGNING: The Florida Panthers have signed Theo Wallberg to a 3-year contract.   

small.png Theo Wallberg: Three-year contract worth $2.4 million dollars ($800k per season)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

SIGNING: The Washington Capitals have signed Michael Milne to a 2-year contract.   

small.png Michael Milne: Two-year contract worth $1.7 million dollars ($850k per season)

SIGNING: The New Jersey Devils have signed Semyon Vyazovoy to a 3-year contract.   

small.png Semyon Vyazovoy: Three-year contract worth $2.775 million dollars ($925k per season)

• Cheers 1

SIGNING: The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed Connor Punnett to a 2-year contract.   

small.png Connor Punnett: Two-year contract worth $1.8 million dollars ($900k per season)

SIGNING: The New Jersey Devils have signed Sam Sedley to a 3-year contract.   

small.png Sam Sedley: Three-year contract worth $2.4 million dollars ($800k per season)

• Cheers 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:39 PM, Lethunder said:

SIGNING: The Nashville Predators have signed Brent Burns to a 3-year contract.   

small.png Brent Burns: Three-year contract worth $29.64 million dollars ($9.88m per season) with a NMC

Question, does the contract just terminate when a player retires? Like, would someone have been able to outbid this if they offered a 7 year contract worth 6-9 million per?

2 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Question, does the contract just terminate when a player retires? Like, would someone have been able to outbid this if they offered a 7 year contract worth 6-9 million per?

Yes, our contracts can be voided when a player retires - we don't have the 35 year+ rule in place.

There isn't an official rule for at what point extra years are meaningless - but we try to look at it from an at least semi-realistic point of view.

In this example, Brent Burns is 39 years old. He had a productive year last year and could realistically play a couple more years so three years is fine. We wouldn't take the long term deal for less money because it's highly unlikely he's playing hockey at 46 years old.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Yeah when they retire, you can terminate the contract. Not sure if your example would "win", I'm not an agent, but I guess it has to be within reason.

Burns has played 20+ minutes the last couple of seasons, and played all 82 games. Has been productive in those. Even at 9.88 million for one year would've been a high bid IMO. If Burns decides to play a couple more seasons, he likely doesn't get a 9.88 million contract for whatever else he's got left in the tank, so it's also a risk that his play declines and that's a steep cap. He's definitely playing one more year, could see maybe another at least.

In other words, I don't think the 3 years was done to lower his cap hit and sign a friendlier deal, unless you think teams were willing to go 10+ million for Burns.

Edited by Theo5789

11 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

There is a growing number of teams who are offering salaries that would put them above the salary cap

It raises red flags with agents but also notes that in the example above a player may not be thrilled with their sudden lower placement in the lineup.

Isn't this exactly what happens every year in the NHL and in our GML? GM's go over cap and add players that bump others down the lineup, we even have a rule that allows for a 10% cap inflation during the summer to accommodate this. I understand what you are saying of course, but it seems to me that if more GM's are doing what a few GM's previously did to be successful that speaks well for the health of our league and parity within it. 
I think in some ways your post just described the exact process of Free Agency. ✌️

To be sure, i get the point of the post, and will continue to mind my shop according to our rules, but wanted to express my liking the idea of better parity throughout the league, which would be the result of more GM's taking these risks to improve their clubs. 

Enjoy your day everyone, I am just sharing my thoughts out loud, no real point to the post. 
Cheers

P.O>

EDIT: although in thinking about it, if teams are making offers that would put them 9.1million or higher over the cap, then that 10% inflation rule simply makes it impossible for that signing to happen, right?
or am i mis-thinking it?

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Isn't this exactly what happens every year in the NHL and in our GML? GM's go over cap and add players that bump others down the lineup. I understand what you are saying of course, but it seems to me that if more GM's are doing what a few GM's previously did to be successful that speaks well for the health of our league and parity within it. 
I think in some ways your post just described the exact process of Free Agency. ✌️

Not quite my point in posting some observations but its all good. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not quite my point in posting some observations but its all good. 

Yeah, i was just musing out loud. I agree with your post in general. I don't feel my club is one of those you may be talking about so there is probably things you are seeing that I am not, but you know me: I have an opinion for every occasion and no frontal cortex filter, hahahaha!

I appreciate the entire exec and have a lot of faith this league is being run very well. My post above was just i guess a live shot of how i processed your statement. 

SIGNING: The New York Rangers have signed forward William Karlsson to a three year contract.

144.gifWilliam Karlsson: $22.5 million dollar contract ($7,500,000 per season)

* Deal includes a NTC - 2 year Full no trade - last year 10 team NTC option.

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1