Tyler Toffoli maybe best value of this year's secondary UFA group

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Terovainen would probably be the best out of the bunch. He’s more of a playmaker with a decent shot.  He can also play PK as he has a two-way game. Great possession player. Usually on weak side flank on PP

I think Carolina will find a way to resign Terovainen now that Guentzel's rights have been traded. But I would prefer Terovainen over Toffoli. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I think Carolina will find a way to resign Terovainen now that Guentzel's rights have been traded. But I would prefer Terovainen over Toffoli. 

If Toffoli was willing to sign reasonably we could afford him and another 2nd line forward. 

That’s an if though but it would be hard to say no if we had an opportunity to sign him and have enough for another top 6 guy and our 2nd pair. 

Hopefully management can nail one good value signing so we can add further. 

• Cheers 1

I think he will get a decent raise this year but is still a good target.  Everywhere he does he produces.

Prioritizing Virtanen over Toffoli was one of the peaks of idiocy for Benning.

I am really hoping for Skinner and Toffoli.  If Petterson can’t produce with those guys, then he is the common variable.

It is long odds to get Guentzel, at least at a price that isn’t insane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I think he will get a decent raise this year but is still a good target.  Everywhere he does he produces.

I am really hoping for Skinner and Toffoli.  If Petterson can’t produce with those guys, then he is the common variable.

At least it wasn’t Stawns as our GM we would have lost Boeser for Jake 

If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

I like Teravainen and think he’s the best fit amongst the 2nd tier guys. Canes could try to retain with losing out on so much and he’ll probably be one of the higher paid 2nd tier guys though. 

• Cheers 1

If we want to have a good off-season we really need to find 1-2 bargain/good value signings in the top 6/2nd pair D. 

We need an entire 2nd pair and a couple 2nd line forwards. If we get 3/4 of that then I would be happy. If we get 4/4 then it would be a major W. 

15.5M in cap though. JR/PA need to work some magic. 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I wouldn’t even trade JT’s well used ginch for PLD 😂

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

We’d also have the Ebony & Ivory Kane cancers.

So if we had things Stawns way, we'd have Virtanen, PLD, Evander Kane, and Patrick Kane?  Cool cool.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Half of the issues the Canucks had this past season plus playoffs came from faster teams/players and players with more mobility.

Nothing against Toffoli but he's well past his prime in terms of mobility and speed.  Quality role player but not fast enough to forecheck or kill a penalty anymore and if he's not on the power play he's not exactly lighting it up 5v5 a year later

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I like Teravainen and think he’s the best fit amongst the 2nd tier guys. Canes could try to retain with losing out on so much and he’ll probably be one of the higher paid 2nd tier guys though. 

Yes, he is definitely a good target… I can’t actually believe he will be available 

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes, he is definitely a good target… I can’t actually believe he will be available 

I've always liked Teravainen.  Some people said he's a bit lazy though?  Not sure if that's just hear say.  

Would look nice on the PP, is a good transition player and would boost our possession numbers. 

Being with Petey though that line would definitely need a solid forecheck/board player. Whether that be a Joshua or maybe a guy like Zucker. The only knock with TT is the lack of physicality but he is a multifaceted player with his two-way play, skating, playmaking and enough finishing to pot 20+ goals. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I've always liked Teravainen.  Some people said he's a bit lazy though?  Not sure if that's just hear say.  

They might note his lack of physical play which is his only real knock. On the forecheck he usually is 2nd guy in looking to clog up lanes and create turnovers. He can play in all situations though(PP/PK), is a two-way player, playmaker with some finish, good skater and great possession player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm thinking Stamkos is probably more of a 3x$10m to even get the discussion started, but possibly more like a 4x$8m.  That's just my hunch though.

And contrary to that tweet, if SS91 makes it to free agency and doesn't circle back to TBL, then whoever signs him will have won FAFJuly1st this year.  If he ends up signing with TBL despite hitting UFA, then other factors will determine who won FAFJuly1st, but I'm thinking it won't have much to do with Toffoli's contract.

Yes, Stammer scored 40 last year but he's also 34 years old.  I'd be very careful with term.

I dare say that the Bolts want to come to terms with Guentzel before offering Stamkos what they can.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire with the Lightning.

30 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, Stammer scored 40 last year but he's also 34 years old.  I'd be very careful with term.

I dare say that the Bolts want to come to terms with Guentzel before offering Stamkos what they can.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire with the Lightning.

Perhaps, but much like Scott Niedermayer, he's the kind of player that if he hits the free agent market, you've got to do what you can to bring him over here, even if it means signing his brother (ie. in the case of Anaheim with the Niedermayers) or signing him for longer than you'd like (like Gillis offered to Sundin).  The Lightning might be able to get their house in order before he hits the market and offers him a retirement contract that's a bit more than their original $3mx8, but I would think it'd have to be substantially more for him to even entertain the thought of extending at this point.