(SIGNING) Canucks Re-Sign Jett Woo to a one year deal

Haven't seen this posted on this forum yet. Link to the source is below, it comes from NHL.com so should be legit. Good deal for him and I do hope he can earn his way into an NHL extension over the course of the next year. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-agree-to-terms-with-jett-woo-on-a-one-year-two-way-contract

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Will Woo get a shot this year? With the Canucks only having Hronek and Myers as their regular RDs, Woo could be in competition with Juulsen, Friedman and McWard for the #6/7 spot. Hope Woo's putting in the work this summer.

I like this. Woo made some pretty good steps last year in Abbotsford. He’s not Big Z tough, but he’s no slouch and could add some of that to the lineup if he could just push his way onto it. Probably still more like to be an emergency call up though.

• Cheers 1

It's the right move. Woo is one of the better farm prospects for defense. He has yet to make his impact in the NHL, but if he puts in the work over the summer, he might make a big splash during training camp. I really hope he does. There's certainly room for him to move up. The Canucks can save a lot of money when that happens.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If he plays in the NHL this year we’ve likely had a disaster. 

Isn't that what people said about Juulsen last year?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Jess pinned and featured this topic
8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not me I think Juulsen is fine as a 7/8 option, Woo isn’t on that level yet imo. 

Think he went thru some injuries that stopped an otherwise seemingly positive progression by Woo last year. Still, he's getting at the age where you might think this will be his last professional (NHL) contract.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Think he went thru some injuries that stopped an otherwise seemingly positive progression by Woo last year. Still, he's getting at the age where you might think this will be his last professional (NHL) contract.

Agree I would say this and next year max. He is teetering the line if AHL fodder now 

I think people over look the fact that last year we had an exceptionally healthy year, so we didn’t get to see a lot of the “cup of tea” appearances by our farm players with the big club. But Woo got the call up several times to skate with the main roster. I think he’s closer then some think and should be able to push for the 7/8 role without it being a “disaster” as some posters comment.

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

I’ll be shocked if he plays in the nhl at all this year. 

39 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If he plays in the NHL this year we’ve likely had a disaster. 

Not necessarily. He will have to be waived to head to the AHL. 31 other teams would have to pass as well. 

6 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I think people over look the fact that last year we had an exceptionally healthy year, so we didn’t get to see a lot of the “cup of tea” appearances by our farm players with the big club. But Woo got the call up several times to skate with the main roster. I think he’s closer then some think and should be able to push for the 7/8 role without it being a “disaster” as some posters comment.

It’s one thing to be good in the AHL the NHL is an entirely different beast and right now he is below Juulsen and even Brisebois who was on track to make the roster before injury last season. 

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Not necessarily. He will have to be waived to head to the AHL. 31 other teams would have to pass as well. 

Then he can be someone elses AHL fodder right now unless he makes decent progression he is below Juulsen annd Brisebois and that is before we sign anyone in FA 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s one thing to be good in the AHL the NHL is an entirely different beast and right now he is below Juulsen and even Brisebois who was on track to make the roster before injury last season. 

Hope Breezy can bounce back. He really looked ready to take similar depth role as Juulsen before his injury. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Agreed, but Juulson is currently papered in as our 3RD, and Briser is a lefty. Now if Alvin signs another RD, then I agree, Woo is out in the cold. But with Meyers signing and the way RT talks about Juulson, I think our Right side is set. If Briser comes back healthy, it could be him and Freidman as 7/8, but if Woo can outplay Frieds at preseason, then I think Woo gets 8. McWard will go to AHL as he is still waived exempt.

my two cents anyway. And again, this is as we stand now, a signing could change things.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1