Canucks have extended a qualifying offer to Arturs Silovs, Plus..

26 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

So can this block rumored offer sheet? 

I am pretty sure he still can up until he signs the QO. The only way no offer sheet can be offered is if Silovs had arbitration rights, which he doesn't  here.

Someone more knowledgeable can weigh in with a more comprehensive explanation ...

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

This gives us a chance to match offer sheets, otherwise someone could just flat out sign him and take him from us. 

Exactly.  With that being said, I REALLY hope we re-sign him tonight.  I get the feeling he's gonna be a serious target for an offer sheet.  Would only cost a 3rd round pick for any team that wants to poach him.

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Be even better if we could extend him for more than one year at a time.  Then we wouldn't be revisiting this issue every year.

The only issue with that is on Silovs end and how he played in the playoffs why would you lock in for cheap if you can break out and get a healthy raise? 

23 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The only issue with that is on Silovs end and how he played in the playoffs why would you lock in for cheap if you can break out and get a healthy raise? 

Give him a bit of an escalator on his 2 or 3 year extension, something that is indicative in management's trust in his abilities and doesn't break the bank, plus do it in such a way that he's earning a little more than what he'd be getting via annual QO.  Saves everyone the effort of revisiting $$$ talks every season.