[Speculation] Oliver Kylington To Test Free Agency

Oliver Kylington To Test Free Agency

June 30th, 2024 at 9:42pm CST • By Brian La Rose

For the past several weeks, the Flames and Oliver Kylington had been talking about a new contract with a mutual desire to get something done.  Early in the day, Sportsnet’s Eric Francis reported that Calgary hadn’t given up hope on getting a new deal in place.  However, TSN’s Salim Valji reports (Twitter link) that the blueliner will indeed hit the open market tomorrow.

Kylington is one of the wild cards of this year’s free agent class.  In 2021-22, he had a breakout campaign, collecting nine goals and 22 assists in 73 games while logging over 18 minutes a night.  It looked like he had arrived as a legitimate full-time NHL blueliner, resulting in Calgary giving him a two-year, $5MM agreement.

However, the 27-year-old hardly played on that contract.  He took all of 2022-23 away from the team and missed half of this season to focus on his mental health.  When he did return in January, the Flames were cautious with him, easing him in.  Overall, Kylington played in 33 games, picking up three goals and five assists while averaging 17:15 per contest.

For his career, Kylington has played in just 201 games, recording 55 points.  That’s not a significant body of work for a typical unrestricted free agent to be negotiating off of but TSN’s Darren Dreger relays (Twitter link) that Kylington’s camp is hoping for a two-year deal with a small increase off his $2.5MM AAV from the last two years.

Contending teams might be looking for more certainty when it comes to distributing their largely limited free agent dollars around.  However, teams with more flexibility might be intrigued by the potential upside if they feel Kylington can get back to the level he was at back in 2021-22.  If a few of those feel that way, he might be able to get the type of commitment he’s looking for.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/oliver-kylington-to-test-free-agency.html#ref=home

1 minute ago, vanisleryan said:

Would give us 3 pairs that can move the puck.

Yup.  Arguably the most important thing other than defending when it comes to defencemen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

This would be a solid player for the third pair.  
Agree with Stawns about Roy too. Would be a great pair to get tomorrow.. 

Roy would be the perfect partner for Hughes, bet he’d get 45 points and be responsible.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vanisleryan said:

Hughes- Roy

Soucy - Hronek

Kylington - Myers

He's a rover, not sure Myers is the best partner for him?  Myers had a better season due to being paired with Cole (who, despite playoff gaffes, was very solid during the regular season).

12 minutes ago, Darius said:

This would be a solid player for the third pair.  
Agree with Stawns about Roy too. Would be a great pair to get tomorrow.. 

3 minutes ago, vanisleryan said:

Roy would be the perfect partner for Hughes, bet he’d get 45 points and be responsible.  

No rocket science about it... analysts have made it pretty clear that Roy is likely the best overall defenceman on the market tomorrow.  

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

He's a rover, not sure Myers is the best partner for him?  Myers had a better season due to being paired with Cole (who, despite playoff gaffes, was very solid during the regular season).

Yeah, if we landed Roy and Kylington, I'd go with:

Hughes-Hronek

Kylington-Roy

Soucy-Myers 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, vanisleryan said:

Hughes- Roy

Soucy - Hronek

Kylington - Myers

I have to admit I love the look of those pairs. If we can snag both of them I am down for it. That said, I feel we should try and snag Adam Boqvist as well.  It would improve our depth and I feel he would benefit a lot from working with Foote and Gonchar

Edited by BTueyCanucksFan
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They talked about potentially doing it. Have Hronek anchor his own pairing. 

Hughes likes playing with hronek and if that's the case, I'm sure that's how it'll be

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, if we landed Roy and Kylington, I'd go with:

Hughes-Hronek

Kylington-Roy

Soucy-Myers 

that's not bad defensively, but might be a little soft physically? 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that's not bad defensively, but might be a little soft physically? 

Is Matt Roy not physical? I thought he had a little sandpaper to him but I may be getting him confused with someone else.

Change of scenery could help with his game and mental health as well. It’s a figure of speech, but we do happen to have significantly better scenery than Calgary! I remembering his break-out campaign and being jealous of Calgary because their D was already so stacked. 

15 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Change of scenery could help with his game and mental health as well. It’s a figure of speech, but we do happen to have significantly better scenery than Calgary! I remembering his break-out campaign and being jealous of Calgary because their D was already so stacked. 

In fairness Calgary is actually a pretty nice city.  Definitely much nicer than Edmonton. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

In fairness Calgary is actually a pretty nice city.  Definitely much nicer than Edmonton. 

I had the pleasure of living there for a good stretch (having moved back to BC a few years back) and despite my little barb I agree completely. Like all things - it’s just a different kind of beauty. 

• Cheers 1