[Speculation] Two More Maple Leafs Forwards (Bertuzzi, Robertson) Appear To Be Done In Toronto

Two More Maple Leafs Forwards Appear To Be Done In Toronto

Dave Litman 

Sunday, June 30, 2024 

The Toronto Maple Leafs are reportedly losing not one, but two members of their forward mix, as it's been revealed Sunday evening that UFA Tyler Bertuzzi will not be re-signing with the team, and RFA Nick Robertson has asked to be traded.

Starting with Bertuzzi, the Leafs tried to work out an extension with the veteran forward after his one season with the team, but the numbers in the negotiations were outgrowing the Leafs' ability to meet them. 

According to insider Darren Dregger of TSN, Bertuzzi will look for a four-year deal north of $5 million annually, and that is not something that GM Brad Treliving was open to. 

As for Robertson, the young forward has faced injury problems throughout his short career, limiting his time in the NHL. This season, however, he was mostly healthy, but still found himself bouncing between the Leafs and the AHL's Marlies, leaving him extremely frustrated, and now wanting out, per insider Chris Johnson. 

Johnson reports that the 22-year-old has no plans to re-sign with Toronto and has asked for a trade. He is coming off his entry-level contract, and as an RFA, does not own arbitration rights, so doesn't really have any leverage. We'll see if the Leafs capitulate to his demand. 

Robertson proved himself a productive scorer in his minutes this season, with 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games while getting just 11:23 of ice-time per game. He added another 11 points in nine games at the AHL level.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/two-more-maple-leafs-forwards-appear-to.html

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wasn't Robertson one of the better Toronto prospects, or was that Toronto media hype?

a little from column A, a little from column B. 

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

It's official, I could manage an NHL team better than some GMs:

"Bertuzzi's expected to sign a four-year deal north of $5 million when free agency opens on Monday," Seravalli said.

Wow

I hope it's not with us 😩

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wasn't Robertson one of the better Toronto prospects, or was that Toronto media hype?

A good yet overhyped prospect, for the right price I’d consider him good production in limited ice time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bieksa seems pretty high on him. 

He is a Marchessault-type of player. 

Likes to talk shit and get under peoples skin. Gets in on the forecheck. Is tenacious. Undersized despite that.

Almost at a .5 PPG pace only playing 11:21 a game. 

Upset at the limited opportunity he is getting. Not utilized on special teams whatsoever. He could grow into a top 6 scoring winger. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

How 'bout some Canucks news. As usual, TOR hogging the headlines. 

PA went hard in the paint the day before the draft. I think we got some news. This victim complex many of us have is weird to me. Lol.

19 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Spoke too soon

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Crying Pepe Meme Sticker Sad Pepe The Frog Meme Sticker, 60% OFF

Take it with a grain of salt but he may be going to Chicago..

• Like 1

Dunno much about him. 

Hyped as a good hardnosed guy with upside when he left Det to go to hockey universe and  now everyone is avoiding him like the plague. 

Funny to see how demand and perception of a player is so fickle

Something about him rubs me the wrong way.

Though his game bears resemblance to other pests I feel like I haven’t heard the same accolades about him as those others. Yes, he has received the “hate to play him, love to have him” type of talk, but you don’t hear much love from former teammates.

It’s probably just me remembering his anti-vax position and colouring him unfairly since then. 

• Cheers 1