[Signing] Toffoli a Shark

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

Yikes. No way Canucks match that, nor should they. I would of liked TT here, but not that contract. 

I wanted Toffoli here 4 years ago at age 28.  Signing him at 4 x $6 at 32 just doesn't work on THIS team.

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m going to restrain myself from describing this as Benning level. Loui looks on intently and calls his agent. 

He'll bring leadership and many intangibles to a rebuilding team in San Jose.  Little Things 2.0   😆

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Arguably the most bizarre move of the day for either side

No kidding.

Hard to think he couldn’t have got 4 years and around 5.5 from a good team.

Seems like he simply went to the highest bidder. And people wanted to add this guy. Clearly he’s done with winning.

For those who questions his character and chirps him for taking the bag with the Sharks instead of signing with a contender for cheaper, let’s take a look at this from his side.

He had already won his cup in 2014.

He made $4.6 million per for 4 years from 2016-2020. His biggest contract to date until he signed today.

He became a UFA at the worst possible time with COVID flat cap and he had to sign for 4 years at $4.25 million per. If it weren’t for the flat cap and covid, he would be due for a raise would definitely had landed a contract of 5 million+ for 6+ years. And due to circumstances out of his control, he got traded 3 times and played on 4 different teams in the span of this contract, it had definitely taken a toll on him.

He is 32, this is likely his last contract and definitely his last chance to cash in. I don’t blame him one bit for chasing the bag and settle for some stability.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He's already got his ring. Now he gets to go play in the sun for big money and mentor a franchise player. Honestly, doesn't sound so bad.

I know a few guys who played in California and they said it was the best (one ironically then played in Montreal, about the complete opposite).

Good fans when they are at the arena and folks that care about hockey.  At the same time, once they get two blocks away from the rink or on their days off they are completely anonymous.  Best of both worlds.

In this case, I suspect he balanced family considerations.  His wife was a broadcaster in California and she has followed him around on a lot of stops.  This seems like a settle down to finish his career to support her back after all that.

Edited by Provost

It baffles me that so many people question players chasing longer terms and money.

Wouldn't we switch jobs if someone offered us more money and guaranteed terms?

We tend to forget for hockey players, it is first and foremost a job for them, just like NHL hockey is a business before it is a sport. 

It is a job that has a much shorter life span than most, and one they don't know the next day could be their last... so good on them to cash in while they can. They all deserve it.