Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

56 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea an illegal occupation of the nations capital will have an effect. Go figure. 

An illegal occupation of a few streets in Ottawa does not constitute getting your bank account frozen. The only time a person can have their bank accounts frozen is if they owe money to creditors, the CRA or there is fraud and suspicious activity involved in the account. 

Holding up a Fuck Trudeau sign in your truck and blocking a few streets does not meet this threshold. You can certainly get arrested for those actions which is what happened, but the actual freezing of bank accounts was a severe overreach by Trudeau and his cronies. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is not true.  The guy I know works at the 2nd largest bank in Canada.  He told me he knows people whose accounts were frozen.

Also, there is no one involved in the convoy who was a bad actor where FINTRAC needed to be involved and bank accounts needed to be frozen.  Not even the mafia has their bank accounts frozen.  Do you know what it actually takes to get a bank account frozen in Canada?  Conservative hyperpole?  Yeah, I don't think so.  

I know a guy, ffs

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

An illegal occupation of a few streets in Ottawa does not constitute getting your bank account frozen. The only time a person can have their bank accounts frozen is if they owe money to creditors, the CRA or there is fraud and suspicious activity involved in the account. 

Holding up a Fuck Trudeau sign in your truck and blocking a few streets does not meet this threshold. You can certainly get arrested for those actions which is what happened, but the actual freezing of bank accounts was a severe overreach by Trudeau and his cronies. 

This is my problem too. It's one thing to arrest them, which is whatever. Freezing people's bank accounts is above and beyond what I would consider an appropriate act

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Can you provide more information - apart from stuff you say someone told you - in regards to whose banks accounts were frozen and why?.

I could do the research (and will if needed) but I think the ball is in your court.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Can you provide more information - apart from stuff you say someone told you - in regards to whose banks accounts were frozen and why?.

I could do the research (and will if needed) but I think the ball is in your court.

What, you want names and addresses?

There were bank accounts frozen. This is a fact. Under the Canada Bank Act not one single person met the threshold of having their bank accounts frozen. 

Unless you can prove otherwise, it was a severe overreach by government. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd just like more proof of what you have been saying with such conviction.  My recollection is that a GoFundMe account or two was shut down and that the assets of the convoy leaders associated with it were frozen.

You seem to paint a far more sinister picture based on hearsay.  The phrase back it up or shut up comes to mind but it would be rude to say that out loud.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

FAFO. Sometimes people need to learn that over and over. 

3 hours ago, Satchmo said:

1)  Freeland's grandfather seems to have been a Nazi.   Please explain to me how that really matters.

2) Yes, a Liberal House speaker totally screwed up.  He admitted so and resigned in shame.   Please explain to me how that points to an ongoing support of Nazis on behalf of any Canadian political party.

3) Please find me posts on this site that call PP a Nazi so I can disagree with them too.

hey  I dont think they are going to do that... would you please find me posts about all this Nazi Nonsense...

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There were bank accounts frozen. This is a fact. Under the Canada Bank Act not one single person met the threshold of having their bank accounts frozen. 

Unless you can prove otherwise, it was a severe overreach by government. 

Ok so I did my own research.   I still feel just fine about how the country ridded itself of unlawful trespassers.

I saw some stuff about how the Canadian Government over reacted and performed Fascist and Draconian acts.

I saw other stuff about how the Canadian Government used means at its' disposal to deter an angry mob.

Those opposing views sounds like typical Canadian political discussion not unlike this thread.

Believe it or not time:

The RCMP, banking sector and federal government said Monday that account-freezing powers bestowed under the Emergencies Act to help authorities deal with convoy protests do not affect donors to the protests, despite unsubstantiated claims by a Conservative MP that a constituent had her bank account frozen over a $50 contribution.

“At no time, did we provide a list of donors to Financial Institutions,” the RCMP said in a statement Monday.

The agency said while it had sent financial institutions a list of accounts to monitor and freeze, those accounts belonged to “individuals and companies suspected of involvement in illegal acts,” such as notable “influencers in the illegal protest in Ottawa” and vehicle owners and drivers “who did not want to leave the area impacted by the protest.” The vast majority of banking customers and donors to the Freedom Convoy are not impacted by these measures.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland echoed those remarks at a news conference Monday. She said people who were not directly involved in the anti-pandemic-restriction protests should contact police if they believe their accounts were unfairly frozen. But she cautioned, “It’s important to be sure that the account is not being frozen for any other reason.”

The Emergencies Act granted banks and the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC) power to monitor transactions and potentially freeze accounts. The Emergencies Act measures only affects transactions made after the act was first invoked on Feb. 15.

As of Monday, the RCMP said 219 bank accounts and other financial products had been frozen under the act, and that 57 people or organizations were affected. The force also said it had frozen “the account of a payment processor for a value of $3.8M by a financial institution.”

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

So then, everyone in the House is a Nazi?

No,- just those that are not conservative party members.

Get with the program here.

My side good- the other side bad.

Simple.-for simple minds and easy votes

--------------------------------------

I do hold out hope for Canada, as I can not believe the internet is a true representation of the thought process, of most people.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, to summarize, Chrystia Freeland's grandfather was a Nazi.  The House Speaker, a staunch Liberal for decades, brought a Nazi into the House of Commons.

But according to this thread Pierre Poilievre is the actual Nazi...   🤣

According to this thread? :classic_huh: Or is it just one or two people in the thread?

I guess it's not as "funny" if you actually described it accurately. Besides, I'd wager the number of people calling Freeland a Nazi is pretty close to (if not greater than) the number of people calling Pollievre a Nazi.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:30 PM, aGENT said:

I've come across a LOT of the "muh freedoms" crowd that had been living here on the island, that were moving back to Alberta because they "don't like how the government is running things here"...

how many? and what freedoms were they angry about being threatened? must be pretty stupid ones right, judging from your response?

On 12/19/2023 at 6:35 PM, Bob Long said:

Lucky 

maybe they are the ones that are lucky, with welcome wagons like your self...

On 12/19/2023 at 6:39 PM, aGENT said:

Haha... Yeah, I was like "oh no...." 😏

Probably safer having then all in one place lol

35% of albertans are Liberals

On 12/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, RupertKBD said:

Do you tell them not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out?

This is a garbage post.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

No Hitler would put you in an oven.

and BC Liberals would Just gather you all and place them in their own area?

38 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'd just like more proof of what you have been saying with such conviction.  My recollection is that a GoFundMe account or two was shut down and that the assets of the convoy leaders associated with it were frozen.

You seem to paint a far more sinister picture based on hearsay.  The phrase back it up or shut up comes to mind but it would be rude to say that out loud.

The RCMP told the committee that around 257 accounts of people and businesses involved in the protests had been frozen by financial institutions.

Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand said the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters in Ottawa to leave and to discourage others from joining the protests.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6376955

So the RCMP admit that bank accounts were frozen “to encourage protestors in Ottawa to leave”.

That reason isn’t part of the Bank of Canada Act. That is shit that is only done in 3rd world countries and in Nazi Germany. 

And you wonder why Trudeau cannot get re-elected. 

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Although the illegal occupation of a few streets in Ottawa was pretty sad for that cities citizens to deal with, along with the few rough stories of protesters acting inappropriate, that isn't what got to me.

I supported their right to protest at the beginning and so did quite a few Canadians, but they lost the room. They had no leadership or concise demands. 

Then, they started to hold all of Canada hostage when they were shuting down our trade routes. Stalling millions per day. I changed my opinion at that time. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Ok so I did my own research.   I still feel just fine about how the country ridded itself of unlawful trespassers.

I saw some stuff about how the Canadian Government over reacted and performed Fascist and Draconian acts.

I saw other stuff about how the Canadian Government used means at its' disposal to deter an angry mob.

Those opposing views sounds like typical Canadian political discussion not unlike this thread.

Believe it or not time:

The RCMP, banking sector and federal government said Monday that account-freezing powers bestowed under the Emergencies Act to help authorities deal with convoy protests do not affect donors to the protests, despite unsubstantiated claims by a Conservative MP that a constituent had her bank account frozen over a $50 contribution.

“At no time, did we provide a list of donors to Financial Institutions,” the RCMP said in a statement Monday.

The agency said while it had sent financial institutions a list of accounts to monitor and freeze, those accounts belonged to “individuals and companies suspected of involvement in illegal acts,” such as notable “influencers in the illegal protest in Ottawa” and vehicle owners and drivers “who did not want to leave the area impacted by the protest.” The vast majority of banking customers and donors to the Freedom Convoy are not impacted by these measures.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland echoed those remarks at a news conference Monday. She said people who were not directly involved in the anti-pandemic-restriction protests should contact police if they believe their accounts were unfairly frozen. But she cautioned, “It’s important to be sure that the account is not being frozen for any other reason.”

The Emergencies Act granted banks and the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC) power to monitor transactions and potentially freeze accounts. The Emergencies Act measures only affects transactions made after the act was first invoked on Feb. 15.

As of Monday, the RCMP said 219 bank accounts and other financial products had been frozen under the act, and that 57 people or organizations were affected. The force also said it had frozen “the account of a payment processor for a value of $3.8M by a financial institution.”

cool thanks... and what was the cutoff line for suspected illegal activities...??? how certain did they have to be before they acted? How likely did they misjudge and get a few honest people's bank accounts frozen?

9 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

how many? and what freedoms were they angry about being threatened? must be pretty stupid ones right, judging from your response?

This is a garbage post.

BC Liberals? Is Crusty making a comeback? 

3 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I like Heffy but I wish a number posts came with some kind of disclaimer signifying that his views do not reflect the view of all bleeding heart liberals.

Just like most news these days (unfortunately) you have to view it through the lens of the people (person) producing these statements. Not enough people do that.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

a "pass" from what exactly?

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Is she getting a pass?

Seems you have provided an article that shows that she is getting criticism and today in this thread people have been defending the idea that she may be a Nazi.

That's a pass?

Or do you think she should have been removed from her position because of the scarf and her grandpa?

Such victim complex.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

yea an illegal occupation of the nations capital will have an effect. Go figure. 

Actions. Consequences. Whinging.

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

This is a garbage post.

I know, right? We should really put up with oversized children that feel freedom infringed.

I'd separate.

Edited by Bob Long