Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

As long as the robots support my political leanings it’s all good.

They'll support whatever you tell them to support... without of course knowing what it means, but hey! They can feed your confirmation bias with things you want them to tell you!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

:classic_huh:

Sorry, when did Trudeau try and overturn an election loss through violence? (For that matter, when did he lose an election?)

You'll also need to point out which felony charges JT is currently facing.

What does "over turning an election loss through violence" have to do with womanizing or bigotry?

Though it is closer to political scandals - https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/a-short-history-of-justin-trudeaus-scandal-plagued-liberal-government

34 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I looked the up word 'lockdown' earlier today when I thought maybe we were all just getting confused by semantics.     

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a number of non-pharmaceutical interventions colloquially known as lockdowns (encompassing stay-at-home orders, curfews, quarantines, cordons sanitaires and similar societal restrictions) have been implemented in numerous countries and territories around the world.

So, according to that definition, we had a lockdown.   China had one too, but their's was a lot harsher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockdown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns

We did not have a “lockdown”. We went about our daily business. We had minor inconveniences. 
“lockdown” means to be locked in one’s cell. Or in this case in one’s house or apartment. To suggest we experienced an actual lockdown is 100% wrong. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Alflives said:

We did not have a “lockdown”. We went about our daily business. We had minor inconveniences. 
“lockdown” means to be locked in one’s cell. Or in this case in one’s house or apartment. To suggest we experienced an actual lockdown is 100% wrong. 

Semantics.  I agree we were inconvenienced a bit.  I agree that it was all worthwhile.  I'm with you in most regards, but the dictionary seems to say we had a lockdown.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

They'll support whatever you tell them to support... without of course knowing what it means, but hey! They can feed your confirmation bias with things you want them to tell you!

Kind of like a Trump voter....hmmmm.....

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

What does "over turning an election loss through violence" have to do with womanizing or bigotry?

Though it is closer to political scandals - https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/a-short-history-of-justin-trudeaus-scandal-plagued-liberal-government

You said they're the same (or close to it)

They're not even close.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Wiggums said:

So you guys or someone is trying to tell me that inflation and increased cost of living has actually helped the homeless problem?  What...the....heck?   Crazy stuff

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/unhoused

44 percent increase in Quebec

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2023/10/6/1_6591716.amp.html

32% increase since 2020

Estimated 83% increase by 2030 for all of Canada 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/here-s-how-many-people-will-be-at-risk-of-homelessness-by-2030-according-to-this-ai-1.6672410

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7042041

Seems you're having a correlation causation issue. And I'm not even sure you have much correlation even. As others pointed out, homelessness actually went down during the minor inconveniences you refer to as "lockdowns" (that actually helped us keep more people healthy, longer until vaccines arrived, and not overrun our already stressed hospitals).

Homelessness is primarily driven by mental health, addiction and growing wage disparity/cost of living.  The pandemic in general didn't help any of those things, "lockdowns" or otherwise. Ukraine invasions, supply chain issues etc also causing a lot of the cost of living/income issues. Again nothing to do with "lock downs".

The biggest thing we need as a country is to start funding public housing again. That and a plan to deal with the memtal health issues.

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Seems you're having a correlation causation issue. And I'm not even sure you have much correlation even. As others pointed out, homelessness actually went down during the minor inconveniences you refer to as "lockdowns" (that actually helped us keep more people healthy, longer until vaccines arrived, and not overrun our already stressed hospitals).

Homelessness is primarily driven by mental health, addiction and growing wage disparity/cost of living.  The pandemic in general didn't help any of those things, "lockdowns" or otherwise. Ukraine invasions, supply chain issues etc also causing a lot of the cost of living/income issues. Again nothing to do with "lock downs".

The biggest thing we need as a country is to start funding public housing again. That and a plan to deal with the native metal health issues.

I think you mean mental health issues. As for the housing issues I have seen them coming for 50 years. First it was zoning against trailer parks Then developments that required 1500 sq ft houses (one floor) or bigger. All to keep the lower class and non whites out neighborhoods. At the same time came regulations to make it difficult for people to build houses themselves. 
Mental health and addiction have always been there but too many of the soap opera (first half of the boomers) generation thought that somehow they were above the poor and downtrodden and passed by laws to make it harder for them. Leaving very little choice but tent cities and poor environmental setups in the wilderness. Meanwhile the more fortunate own vacation homes bigger than most locals primary residence. 

And here we are. Long the trailer park boys. 

Edited by Spur1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

well its happening... Trudeau is polling so bad that he is using dirty tactics to just keep his influence in the swing provinces... and his policies are so bad parliment is crossing the floor because they dont want to get thrown out with the bath water.

2 years of this and how terrible our economy is right now, it does not look good. on a side note i feel that the conservatives are paying US media to mock trudeau and prop up himself. Poillivere and now his youtube channel, with 12% of canadians watching his Personal content day in and day out and a few select youtubers that despise Trudeau and everything he stands for, this is the beginning of the great fall of Justin Trudeau's Liberals...

poilievre who is the smartest person on the parliament floor, has shook the liberal party. Trudeau, the Finance Minister, the health and Addictions minister are constantly getting embarassed, and frankly speaking with the inception of medically assisted Suicide and Safe supply is a fricking monster in my eyes...

First ruin the economy, they lose their jobs, they get addicted to drugs, they develop mental illness, become homeless, they feed them free drugs, then they kill them

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

well its happening... Trudeau is polling so bad that he is using dirty tactics to just keep his influence in the swing provinces... and his policies are so bad parliment is crossing the floor because they dont want to get thrown out with the bath water.

2 years of this and how terrible our economy is right now, it does not look good. on a side note i feel that the conservatives are paying US media to mock trudeau and prop up himself. Poillivere and now his youtube channel, with 12% of canadians watching his Personal content day in and day out and a few select youtubers that despise Trudeau and everything he stands for, this is the beginning of the great fall of Justin Trudeau's Liberals...

poilievre who is the smartest person on the parliament floor, has shook the liberal party. Trudeau, the Finance Minister, the health and Addictions minister are constantly getting embarassed, and frankly speaking with the inception of medically assisted Suicide and Safe supply is a fricking monster in my eyes...

First ruin the economy, they lose their jobs, they get addicted to drugs, they develop mental illness, become homeless, they feed them free drugs, then they kill them

Poo Poo has no chance. Just look at the guy! 

9 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

I don't know, like Trump supporters, Trudeau ones will follow him no matter what he does.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I don't know, like Trump supporters, Trudeau ones will follow him no matter what he does.

This is where the lens of people on the right always get it wrong.

Trudeau gets votes from the left and centre because he's been the best of the choice of candidates. We'd happily vote for someone better. That's not Skippy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Super false.

I know a bunch of people that have voted lib in the past that are fed up with JT.

I mean, isn't that showing in his declining numbers and the growing support for PP? 

And going on about Trump and JT being close to the same is absolute hogwash. I've read your posts over the years, smart and funny. You have been anti JT for a while but trying to sling him in the same sentence as Trump is nonsense.

Skippy has some increased popularity now when there's nothing on the line but complaining. When people really look at how little the CPC has to offer most people the numbers will change.

How much? Who knows but right now it's all rage farming with little substance.

I'd love to see JT step aside for a better leader but that seems unlikely now.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Super false.

I know a bunch of people that have voted lib in the past that are fed up with JT.

I mean, isn't that showing in his declining numbers and the growing support for PP? 

And going on about Trump and JT being close to the same is absolute hogwash. I've read your posts over the years, smart and funny. You have been anti JT for a while but trying to sling him in the same sentence as Trump is nonsense.

yeah hes much worse... literally creating hisown concentration camp of drug addicts and then letting them end there life when they have no way out because they do nothing to stem the problem at the root.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can't tell what your preference is 

i think it could be a good idea, but we are not ready for that. so many addicts are going to off themselves.

not to mention when the next housing crisis hits and we will see so much hurt in canada...

people will give up. not a good time to be implementing this, not sure there is even a good time...

we already have Maid which allows you to have hospitals to aid you in your foreseeable death...

this is not good.

Edited by MidKnight Ego