Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, stawns said:

What's he don't that's been so bad?

Up to the pandemic the economy was rolling along pretty well.  Then he was a pretty steady force through the pandemic, taking measures to make sure Canadians who needed support got it.  Now, "post" pandemic, we have one of the better recoveries in the G20.

The economic issues at hand are worldwide, not just Canada.  Pretty tough to pin that on JT.

The job of PM is far from one of the most powerful seats in the world, at least as far as policy is concerned.  His job is to sell Canada to the rest of the world.

If the economy was rolling along quite well, why was he running deficits each year? And why were they three times bigger than he promised? As for the, it's not his fault, it's a global situation while you might be correct about that for whatever reason and this board is a perfect example of it. I'm sorry the previous forum, nobody gives credit to Harper about a global economic crisis. He's brought in over a million immigrants a year with no houses for anybody to live in. Rich corporations have gotten richer under his watch. Emissions are up even while he has a ridiculous carbon tax which hurts everybody. And as for the covid stuff, i don't agree with you in my opinion he went way too far.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, -AJ- said:

I don't see an issue on my end:

image.png

It's weird....the username definitely was missing the "s" for a while there. I commented on it when I saw @Boudrias post for the first time on this forum.

Seems like some back channel magic has taken place here. I suspect @Ribs

image.jpeg.03b46a7b75727ae638f3045198e20138.jpeg

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

If the economy was rolling along quite well, why was he running deficits each year? And why were they three times bigger than he promised? As for the, it's not his fault, it's a global situation while you might be correct about that for whatever reason and this board is a perfect example of it. I'm sorry the previous forum, nobody gives credit to Harper about a global economic crisis. He's brought in over a million immigrants a year with no houses for anybody to live in. Rich corporations have gotten richer under his watch. Emissions are up even while he has a ridiculous carbon tax which hurts everybody. And as for the covid stuff, i don't agree with you in my opinion he went way too far.

Every government since the Americans dropped the gold standard runs deficits.  That's got nothing to to do with the economy

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Slapshot said:

I'll just throw this little tidbit out, one of the steps to separate is to have your own pension plan, ala Quebec. They're fabricating reasons to opt out.

Thing is, Quebec started their plan in 1966, and it basically mirrors the CPP.  

If Alberta wants to start their own, they should only get money from the CPP if the individual Alberta resident agrees to transfer their benefits to the Alberta plan.  Alberta doesn't just get all of that money, no questions asked.   After a certain date, all contributions go the the Alberta plan and not the CPP.  

It was absolutely asinine for Premier Moron to even think that she could get it all, let alone ask for 53%.

27 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Thing is, Quebec started their plan in 1966, and it basically mirrors the CPP.  

If Alberta wants to start their own, they should only get money from the CPP if the individual Alberta resident agrees to transfer their benefits to the Alberta plan.  Alberta doesn't just get all of that money, no questions asked.   After a certain date, all contributions go the the Alberta plan and not the CPP.  

It was absolutely asinine for Premier Moron to even think that she could get it all, let alone ask for 53%.

So again that was the group put in place that came up with that figure and that's based on the fact that Albertans pay the most into it.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So again that was the group put in place that came up with that figure and that's based on the fact that Albertans pay the most into it.

Yeah but Lifeworks just made up the formula from whole cloth after realizing that using the formula in the CPP act  (that was never updated) would result in a whopping 900% of the total if all provinces left the plan.

Albertans do pay the most into CPP and will receive the most back on retirement.  As I understand it Lifeworks counts the benefits only for Albertans who retire and live in Alberta rather than including Albertans who retire outside the province.

Those numbers may not have come directly from her but the party is making no effort to get the real numbers out. If Albertans want to leave the plan, and they have every right to, they should know the true numbers. We don’t want another Brexit.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Yeah but Lifeworks just made up the formula from whole cloth after realizing that using the formula in the CPP act  (that was never updated) would result in a whopping 900% of the total if all provinces left the plan.

Albertans do pay the most into CPP and will receive the most back on retirement.  As I understand it Lifeworks counts the benefits only for Albertans who retire and live in Alberta rather than including Albertans who retire outside the province.

Those numbers may not have come directly from her but the party is making no effort to get the real numbers out. If Albertans want to leave the plan, and they have every right to, they should know the true numbers. We don’t want another Brexit.

Who is we? 

Just now, 4petesake said:

Fair enough. I should have said I would hate to see a lot of Brexit remorse.

Was that your only takeaway from the post?

Yes and only because we are only in the very early stages. Those that choose to retire in BC like myself will still get their Alberta pensions and premiums will be lower so that will help lots of people. Truthfully it seems BCers on the so called left are more interested in this than Albertans are. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sure, they pay more due to a there being lots of younger workers earning large incomes.  But in no way will an APP get 53% of the CPP.  Alberta should only get money from the CPP if the Alberta resident agrees to transfer their CPP benefits that they have earned into the APP.  It is their benefits.  Not Premier Moron's.

• Vintage 1

https://www.statista.com/statistics/442337/canada-employment-level-by-provi

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. are the 3 top employed provinces in Canada

with 14,804.7 times a thousand workers.

Ont  7,683

Que 4,380.7    ---Strike Quebec as they are on their own plan

BC.  2,741

So

Ab   2,353.4 times a thousand.

CCP premiums are capped at $66,6000 so nobody pays anything, extra, on income higher than that.

Given that not every job in Alberta reached the cut off, what are the odds that less than 2,353.4 times a thousand people really did put in

more money than 10,424 times a thousand people?

And that does not include the other provinces and territories work numbers

So lets add them too a total of

2408.4 rest of Canada

10,424 for Ont and B.C.

12,832.4 times a thousand workers- all them pad less than 2,353.4 times a thousand.?  Nah.

Canada_ employment level by province 2022 _ Statista.html

Edited by Gurn
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Sure, they pay more due to a there being lots of younger workers earning large incomes.  But in no way will an APP get 53% of the CPP.  Alberta should only get money from the CPP if the Alberta resident agrees to transfer their CPP benefits that they have earned into the APP.  It is their benefits.  Not Premier Moron's.

Well there will be a referendums. Never change by the way. I love how you call any conservative names but when it's a liberal or an NDper they are a good person lol.

Edited by Ryan Strome

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

When i graduated Alberta was 4% of the population, it is now I think 11%?

I am well aware that a larger proportion of the richer median family income ridings are in Alberta, i have the data in a file I am too lazy to click open, but it is the province with the higher ratio of richer Federal Ridings. However, with CPP having a maximum insurable amount around 66 thousand in income, all those high end ridings dont come into play becuase you all stopped paying at the same point I stopped paying which is only $3754.45 a year each. I will leave it to you to do the fine math and tell me how you think that adds up to 53% of the total. It doesn't, save your time and chalk. 

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

This just isn't true.

Which country in the g20 doesn't?

Among the industrialized nations, Canada has one of the lowest debt to gdp ratios and we've been in far worse financial straits than we are now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/financialpost.com/executive/executive-summary/7-myths-canada-government-debt-deficit-taxes/wcm/6cc5bb27-017c-43dd-b328-b24c9d51be7b/amp/

And that's from a media outlet on the right.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Among the industrialized nations, Canada has one of the lowest debt to gdp ratios and we've been in far worse financial straits than we are now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/financialpost.com/executive/executive-summary/7-myths-canada-government-debt-deficit-taxes/wcm/6cc5bb27-017c-43dd-b328-b24c9d51be7b/amp/

Canada is 2nd in the entire world in household debt to income.  The average Canadian is in worse shape now then they’ve ever been financially in the history of the country…

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/households-debt-to-income

Household debt in Canada is now the highest of any G7 country, according to data by the country's housing agency. The amount owed by Canadian households is also higher than the country's entire GDP.  Household debt in the US and the UK, by comparison, has shrunk in the last 10 years.

As of 2021, Canada's household debt is 7% higher than the country's entire GDP. This is an increase from 2010, when household debt was about 5% lower than Canada's GDP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65688460#

Households Debt to Income in Canada averaged 136.77 percent from 1990 until 2023, reaching an all time high of 183.33 percent in the third quarter of 2022 and a record low of 86.11 percent in the first quarter of 1990.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/households-debt-to-income#:~:text=Households Debt to Income in,the first quarter of 1990.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Canada is 2nd in the entire world in household debt to income.  The average Canadian is in worse shape now then they’ve ever been financially in the history of the country…

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/households-debt-to-income

Household debt in Canada is now the highest of any G7 country, according to data by the country's housing agency. The amount owed by Canadian households is also higher than the country's entire GDP.  Household debt in the US and the UK, by comparison, has shrunk in the last 10 years.

As of 2021, Canada's household debt is 7% higher than the country's entire GDP. This is an increase from 2010, when household debt was about 5% lower than Canada's GDP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65688460#

Households Debt to Income in Canada averaged 136.77 percent from 1990 until 2023, reaching an all time high of 183.33 percent in the third quarter of 2022 and a record low of 86.11 percent in the first quarter of 1990.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/households-debt-to-income#:~:text=Households Debt to Income in,the first quarter of 1990.

We're talking about government deficit, not household debt though.  Again, we've been in far worse financial situations than we are currently in.  That said, the end of the boomers is going to be a bumpy ride for the entire planet, there's no disputing that.

11 hours ago, stawns said:

Every government since the Americans dropped the gold standard runs deficits.  That's got nothing to to do with the economy

That’s not true in Canada.  From 1998-2007 we ran a surplus.  Also, in Harper’s last year in 2014 he also was running a surplus…

IMG_0806.jpeg

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

We're talking about government deficit, not household debt though.  Again, we've been in far worse financial situations than we are currently in.  That said, the end of the boomers is going to be a bumpy ride for the entire planet, there's no disputing that.

Household debt is the best indication of how we are financially as a country.  If we ever went into a recession and house prices dropped 30% or more, hundreds of thousands of Canadians would need to declare bankruptcy.  The average Canadian is leveraged to the sky, more than ever before.  Mortgages and credit card debt is through the roof.  Some people will never be able to pay it back.  People have been using their homes as an ATM machine to finance their lifestyles and now recently just to survive.  Once the housing market crashes, down she goes.  Could be worse than the Great Depression…

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well there will be a referendums. Never change by the way. I love how you call any conservative names but when it's a liberal or an NDper they are a good person lol.

She isn't a moron because she is a CONservative.  She is a moron because she is one.  Or did you miss all the stupid crap from her blog.  Or her claim that unvaxxed people are the most discriminated people.  And there is lots more stupidity.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I think you are misunderstanding deficits. I spoke about the deficit not the debt.

49 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think you are misunderstanding deficits. I spoke about the deficit not the debt.

Sorry, I wrote debt when I meant deficit.  From the link

"The IMF said Canada has among the smallest general government deficits as a percentage of GDP among the G7 countries, and it expects Canada to lead those countries in keeping deficits “under control.”

Desjardins economists acknowledged that the federal budget forecast a growing deficit. They said that could be mitigated by improved budget balances at the provincial level."