Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes and only because we are only in the very early stages. Those that choose to retire in BC like myself will still get their Alberta pensions and premiums will be lower so that will help lots of people. Truthfully it seems BCers on the so called left are more interested in this than Albertans are. 

How about you just retire in Alberta if it’s so great, then you don’t have to worry about “the left”.  Love albertans who want to be their own entity but yet would prefer to retire and vacation in BC. 🤦‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Rook said:

How about you just retire in Alberta if it’s so great, then you don’t have to worry about “the left”.  Love albertans who want to be their own entity but yet would prefer to retire and vacation in BC. 🤦‍♂️ 

I'm born in BC champ. I own a home in the Okanagan. But by your logic that would mean Canadians shouldn't retire in the United States because they prefer Canada. So just stay there. Also, you don't speak for British Columbia. You are one person kiddo.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I'm born in BC champ. I own a home in the Okanagan. But by your logic that would mean Canadians shouldn't retire in the United States because they prefer Canada. So just stay there. Also, you don't speak for British Columbia. You are one person kiddo.

I can speak for a lot of Canadians there sunshine.. every time we see an alberta plate we cringe.  

4 minutes ago, Rook said:

I can speak for a lot of Canadians there sunshine.. every time we see an alberta plate we cringe.  

Is it because the vehicle is nicer than you will ever own? Just bugging you buddy. It's too bad though that you lump everybody in and generalize the way you do. I mean I can certainly understand a joke, but I don't think that's what you were doing here and that's probably why a lot of people in Alberta don't care for the rest of this country. But I do know British Columbia sure loves Alberta money to come over there every summer.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Is it because the vehicle is nicer than you will ever own? Just bugging you buddy. It's too bad though that you lump everybody in and generalize the way you do. I mean I can certainly understand a joke, but I don't think that's what you were doing here and that's probably why a lot of people in Alberta don't care for the rest of this country. But I do know British Columbia sure loves Alberta money to come over there every summer.

I can take a joke 🙂  My trucks only worth 70k so it’s nothing special.  But it’s also not chugging black smoke because I’m super cool and removed all the emission regulators out of it.  You act as if Alberta is the only economy driver in the country 🤦‍♂️ I’ve met a handful of good people from Alberta out of the thousands I’ve met.  Most are intolerant, self centred, egotistical, and uneducated.  Don’t get me wrong I’m a person who loves almost everyone, but the average Albertan has shown me enough to know the quality of character most have.  

2 minutes ago, Rook said:

I can take a joke 🙂  My trucks only worth 70k so it’s nothing special.  But it’s also not chugging black smoke because I’m super cool and removed all the emission regulators out of it.  You act as if Alberta is the only economy driver in the country 🤦‍♂️ I’ve met a handful of good people from Alberta out of the thousands I’ve met.  Most are intolerant, self centred, egotistical, and uneducated.  Don’t get me wrong I’m a person who loves almost everyone, but the average Albertan has shown me enough to know the quality of character most have.  

So again, you're generalizing everybody. Again this is hardly on topic. I get it. You hate Albertans good on you. Have a great day sir

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You've asked someone if they speak for all BC'ers and you've just done that here.

Also, you don't speak for British Columbia. You are one person kiddo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, stawns said:

We're talking about government deficit, not household debt though.  Again, we've been in far worse financial situations than we are currently in.  That said, the end of the boomers is going to be a bumpy ride for the entire planet, there's no disputing that.

As a business owner I can say this is very true.. business is chugging along at a nice clip.  The government has done a ton to help business through the pandemic.  Can more be done?? Sure including their unwillingness to budge on the payback of Govt loans.  I worry about business in other sectors struggling as yes we have bounced back, but the pandemic was tough on a lot of sectors and some folks are still digging themselves out.  We have another 20 years before we start to see the big decline in boomers (I see a lot of centennials in my line of work). Overall I give this Govt a B+ on their handling of the economy over the last few years.  Now if we can just figure out this immigration/housing issue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s not true in Canada.  From 1998-2007 we ran a surplus.  Also, in Harper’s last year in 2014 he also was running a surplus…

IMG_0806.jpeg

Funny that outside of COVID years the CONS have run up the most debt, and yet scream about Liberal spending the most by a wide margin. Silly and funny that so many right wingers scream very loudly about Liberal spending, in light of this chart. The covid spending, believe in it or not has saved tens of thousands of businesses from bankruptcy and saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs. Globally Canada is doing really well post 2020 on the economic front, but without any documentation folks will scream the Liberal Government is a terrible economics team. Makes me grin a bit, except for the populism take over aspect...sigh.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Funny that outside of COVID years the CONS have run up the most debt, and yet scream about Liberal spending the most by a wide margin. Silly and funny that so many right wingers scream very loudly about Liberal spending, in light of this chart. The covid spending, believe in it or not has saved tens of thousands of businesses from bankruptcy and saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs. Globally Canada is doing really well post 2020 on the economic front, but without any documentation folks will scream the Liberal Government is a terrible economics team. Makes me grin a bit, except for the populism take over aspect...sigh.

It’s amazing what happens when we support our small businesses.  They contribute far more than these big corporations. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Though no government has an actual "surplus", surplus budgets really aren't a good thing.  It means they are collecting taxes (or raising taxes) and not re-investing that money into the country or economy.  It is, literally, keeping money out of the system.  A surplus hurts us, the citizens.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Truthfully Trudeau should be in jail, too many scandals with criminal overtones, he's an embarrassment on the World stage and at home. His policies are strangling the Country Ecomonicaily. Wish we had some strong leaders.

Then with all of the evidence of wrong doing why isn't he?

Oh .... that's right.  The law

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Canada is 2nd in the entire world in household debt to income.  The average Canadian is in worse shape now then they’ve ever been financially in the history of the country…

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/households-debt-to-income

Household debt in Canada is now the highest of any G7 country, according to data by the country's housing agency. The amount owed by Canadian households is also higher than the country's entire GDP.  Household debt in the US and the UK, by comparison, has shrunk in the last 10 years.

As of 2021, Canada's household debt is 7% higher than the country's entire GDP. This is an increase from 2010, when household debt was about 5% lower than Canada's GDP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65688460#

Households Debt to Income in Canada averaged 136.77 percent from 1990 until 2023, reaching an all time high of 183.33 percent in the third quarter of 2022 and a record low of 86.11 percent in the first quarter of 1990.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/households-debt-to-income#:~:text=Households Debt to Income in,the first quarter of 1990.

From 2008-2022 people lived on artificially low interest ratings and credit.

Multiple trips per year, new vehicle leases.  Eating out all the time.  Skip the dishes.  New wardrobe once a season and of course online shopping.

Household debt is a reflection the consumer economy not the government.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

The law that protects the prime minister. You need to admit that if you did some of the things he did, you would be in lots of trouble.

The law doesn't protect the PM.  You're smarter than that my dude.  You know if he truly did illegal stuff he'd have been found guilty of it

While he may not be innocent and may in fact have run afoul of ethical issues.  To say he should be in jail is just pearl clutching because if he had done anything truly criminal the numerous committees inquires or investigations that plague every PM would have found evidence of it.

Social media angst is not evidence of wrong doing or broken laws.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

So I guess if Trudeau gets given a break because of the covid pandemic then Harper should get a break because of the global financial crisis?

That being said You aren't wrong mulroney run up a ton of debt and truthfully, up until Trudeau liberals were pretty good at running balance budgets and not spending like drunken sailors. In fact, the only liberal prime minister that run up massive debt was Trudeau's dad. My biggest issue is that Trudeau promised only a 10 billion deficit and in his first budget it was tripled. He will never run a balanced budget and his whole tenure and that's pretty terrible.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Like?

What are you asking me? Are you talking about protecting the prime minister? Considering they can block an RCMP investigation, I think that tells you all you need to know. It's not just him. It's the same for conservative prime minister and it isn't right. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The law doesn't protect the PM.  You're smarter than that my dude.  You know if he truly did illegal stuff he'd have been found guilty of it

While he may not be innocent and may in fact have run afoul of ethical issues.  To say he should be in jail is just pearl clutching because if he had done anything truly criminal the numerous committees inquires or investigations that plague every PM would have found evidence of it.

Social media angst is not evidence of wrong doing or broken laws.

Again, the government of the day has the ability to block an RCMP investigation. That isn't right. I also never suggested that he should be put in jail though I do like that idea.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

What are you asking me? Are you talking about protecting the prime minister? Considering they can block an RCMP investigation, I think that tells you all you need to know. It's not just him. It's the same for conservative prime minister and it isn't right. 

Because you made the claim, the burden of explaining what you mean is on you.

Our politicians are pretty tame........not much smoke there for any of them in modern history

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Though no government has an actual "surplus", surplus budgets really aren't a good thing.  It means they are collecting taxes (or raising taxes) and not re-investing that money into the country or economy.  It is, literally, keeping money out of the system.  A surplus hurts us, the citizens.

A surplus allows the government to pay down debt. You know like when you pay down your mortgage and your credit cards. 

Are you implying that Canada should be indebted forever, never paying down its debt and simply accumulating more debt every year?  

You can collect money and put it back into the system while also paying down debt. When you are running a deficit, it means you are spending more money than you earn. This is how the average Canadian goes bankrupt. 

Also, as the debt grows you need to pay it back with interest. Interest rates have tripled in the last 2 years. So the government is now in a situation where it will need to raise taxes and collect more revenue simply to make their interest payments on the debt. 

A perpetual cycle that most certainly will lead us into a Great Recession…

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I guess if Trudeau gets given a break because of the covid pandemic then Harper should get a break because of the global financial crisis?

That being said You aren't wrong mulroney run up a ton of debt and truthfully, up until Trudeau liberals were pretty good at running balance budgets and not spending like drunken sailors. In fact, the only liberal prime minister that run up massive debt was Trudeau's dad. My biggest issue is that Trudeau promised only a 10 billion deficit and in his first budget it was tripled. He will never run a balanced budget and his whole tenure and that's pretty terrible.

Thanks to the previous liberal govt, under Chretien, we didn't really feel much impact from 2008

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Because you made the claim, the burden of explaining what you mean is on you.

Our politicians are pretty tame........not much smoke there for any of them in modern history

What are you talking about? What claim just come out and say what you're saying and I'll respond to it.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

A surplus allows the government to pay down debt. You know like when you pay down your mortgage and your credit cards. 

Are you implying that Canada should be indebted forever, never paying down its debt and simply accumulating more debt every year?  

You can collect money and put it back into the system while also paying down debt. When you are running a deficit, it means you are spending more money than you earn. This is how the average Canadian goes bankrupt. 

Also, as the debt grows you need to pay it back with interest. Interest rates have tripled in the last 2 years. So the government is now in a situation where it will need to raise taxes and collect more revenue simply to make their interest payments on the debt. 

A perpetual cycle that most certainly will lead us into a Great Recession…

Of course Canada will be in debt forever.......all countries are in debt forever