Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

23 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you have to be working at a job to leave it? Also are you the arbiter of what is a “grown up job”?

And finally is sticking sharp knives on your boots and firing a rubber lump around the ice a grown up job?

Stawns is the one who said PP never had a grown up job. He started his own business at age 23. Is that not a grown up job?  He became a politician at age 25. Is being a politician not a grown up job?

Is Stawns the arbiter of what is a grown up job?  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do a quick google search Alf. Just make sure Mrs. Alf isn’t watching. 🫣

Seems JT had stuff said about him but nothing was proven true. 

If he did sleep with a student he’d be up on charges. If he slept with a student’s mother, then it’s not a scandal. 
“No publicly available evidence supports any claim that Trudeau had a sexual relationship with either a student or a student's mother while he was a teacher at West Point Grey Academy between 1998 and 2001, nor that such an episode contributed to his departure from the school's teaching staff.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trudeau-sex-scandal-school/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let me ask you a question. Is there only just male and female?

It's rather impolite to answer a question with another question. But considering the question you asked, I'd guess 'polite' is not something you concern yourself with.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he did sleep with a student he’d be up on charges. If he slept with a student’s mother, then it’s not a scandal. 
“No publicly available evidence supports any claim that Trudeau had a sexual relationship with either a student or a student's mother while he was a teacher at West Point Grey Academy between 1998 and 2001, nor that such an episode contributed to his departure from the school's teaching staff.”

Well you are correct. I suppose it's not proven true but nor is a lot of other stuff that's thrown out people on the other side of the aisle yet it's treated as the gospel around these parts. But I wouldn't doubt that it is true. I mean why would he leave mid semester? And why is he kept quiet about why he did. He's never spoke about it.

1 minute ago, StrayDog said:

It's rather impolite to answer a question with another question. But considering the question you asked, I'd guess 'polite' is not something you concern yourself with.

Right? So again, I'm supposed to trust science in the coronavirus thread, but in this thread I should throw science out the window. Thank you for making it clear.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Well you are correct. I suppose it's not proven true but nor is a lot of other stuff that's thrown out people on the other side of the aisle yet it's treated as the gospel around these parts. But I wouldn't doubt that it is true. I mean why would he leave mid semester? And why is he kept quiet about why he did. He's never spoke about it.

I agree it is rather strange a teacher would leave mid school year. But JT is rich so likely didn’t need the job. M at e he was thinking political career at that point? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

My trans kid says "You're welcome"

Listen. Let me be abundantly clear. I don't care what anybody is or wants to be. That is their choice. I am a limitarian at heart but do not force me to lie to my kids and confuse my kids. Again, I have no issues with what anybody wants to be and I will even if it's made clear to me prefer to them the way they would prefer to be referred to. However, I don't believe it needs to be legislated not to hurt people's feelings nor do I think someone should get angry if I say sir instead of ma'am.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree it is rather strange a teacher would leave mid school year. But JT is rich so likely didn’t need the job. M at e he was thinking political career at that point? 

No, I don't think he was thinking that. I think he was thinking I need to sign this agreement and get out of here because I've done something very bad. There is even a story which this one is factual when he was down in BC where a reporter was asking him some questions about his father I believe and he was half intoxicated and just reached over her and put his arm around her. Imagine if Trump did that or PP did?

Listen. Let me be abundantly clear. I don't care what anybody is or wants to be. That is their choice. I am a limitarian at heart but do not force me to lie to my kids and confuse my kids. Again, I have no issues with what anybody wants to be and I will even if it's made clear to me prefer to them the way they would prefer to be referred to. However, I don't believe it needs to be legislated not to hurt people's feelings nor do I think someone should get angry if I say sir instead of ma'am.

Trust me when I say you have been abundantly clear in how you feel about the LGBTQ community.

• Cheers 1

No, I don't think he was thinking that. I think he was thinking I need to sign this agreement and get out of here because I've done something very bad. There is even a story which this one is factual when he was down in BC where a reporter was asking him some questions about his father I believe and he was half intoxicated and just reached over her and put his arm around her. Imagine if Trump did that or PP did?

The fact of the matter is there is no evidence connecting JT to any sex stuff while he was a teacher. It’s just opinion. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank you.

• Cheers 1

I love that we have this space to disagree and debate, I think a few of us did that very well here today. Let's keep it civil though towards one another. 

Politics is just another way to spell Opinion, and everyone has one, most stink, and we can never smell our own. Hehehe. Thanks for a fun Sunday folks, while my Raiders sank to the Chargers in the American football scene.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Trust me when I say you have been abundantly clear in how you feel about the LGBTQ community.

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think I would trust you with anything.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

We know. 

Many conservatives are.

But please don't try to enforce your limitarian beliefs on the rest of us freedom folk.

Freedom? How do you feel about forcing a coronavirus shot on somebody? Suddenly you don't support freedom?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The fact of the matter is there is no evidence connecting JT to any sex stuff while he was a teacher. It’s just opinion. 

You should jump in the Donald Trump threat and switch over a couple names and then put this post in there and see what people tell you

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Exactly so now you agree with me that Trudeau is the root cause of it. 

Wait what?

Lol no man.

People can't control themselves or their spending.  Corporate price increases and shrinkflation are hammering people everywhere and the financialization of our housing sector is crushing the ability of many to simply afford rent.

Angry Trudeau is pointing his finger AT Trudeau and saying it's his fault and he's elitist and doesn't understand what is happening to the average person while promising to help fix it.

That doesn't mean at all that Trudeau is the root cause of it.  It means that people are seeking a boogeyman and one man is pushing and promoting a populist narrative and agenda by harnessing that anger.

Nothing more

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I love that we have this space to disagree and debate, I think a few of us did that very well here today. Let's keep it civil though towards one another. 

Politics is just another way to spell Opinion, and everyone has one, most stink, and we can never smell our own. Hehehe. Thanks for a fun Sunday folks, while my Raiders sank to the Chargers in the American football scene.

Yeah but the flames lost the other night so there is some good news.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Wait what?

Lol no man.

People can't control themselves or their spending.  Corporate price increases and shrinkflation are hammering people everywhere and the financialization of our housing sector is crushing the ability of many to simply afford rent.

Angry Trudeau is pointing his finger AT Trudeau and saying it's his fault and he's elitist and doesn't understand what is happening to the average person while promising to help fix it.

That doesn't mean at all that Trudeau is the root cause of it.  It means that people are seeking a boogeyman and one man is pushing and promoting a populist narrative and agenda by harnessing that anger.

Nothing more

The point I'm trying to make to you is throughout history. Populism is created when people are so far left behind. It might not be affecting you and I, but the majority of Canadians are really feeling the pinch. Everything is so expensive for lots of people. People are now learning. They will never own a house. Fuel prices are through the roof yet emissions are up. The average Canadian cannot get ahead no matter how hard they try. They feel left behind. So that's why I'm calling him the root cause of populism taking hold in canada. It's being a number of months but I seen a thing in Kelowna with PP and I was absolutely shocked at how many people were there to watch him and the young people. Wow

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think I would trust you with anything.

Freedom? How do you feel about forcing a coronavirus shot on somebody? Suddenly you don't support freedom?

You should jump in the Donald Trump threat and switch over a couple names and then put this post in there and see what people tell you

I understand your sentiments, but this isn’t about “The Donald”. It’s about our Prime Minister. People said nasty stuff about him (the sex stuff as a teacher) and there was no proof it was true. Of course people will allow their personal bias to affect their judgement, so there will always be some who believe the “stories” (which clearly that’s all they are) about our PM. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau has never had a grown up  job either. 

Interestingly enough, he had to abruptly leave his position as a part time drama teacher mid semester for some unknown reason. A quick google search can give you some insight into why he had to leave. 

Even PP asked him right on the HOC floor why he needed to leave that job so abruptly mid semester…

During a recent heated debate, Trudeau made the fatal mistake of inquiring about Poilievre’s past before rising to the position of opposition leader. Trudeau had no idea that he would soon face a scathing comeback that would spark a barrage of accusations.

Trudeau said, “Yes, Mr. Speaker, I was a school teacher before entering politics. I’m just having a bit of trouble recalling what exactly the leader of the opposition’s job was before diving into politics.”

To which Poilievre delivered a cutting blow, saying, with a smirk, “Yes and he left in the middle of the semester and I’m having trouble remembering why.” Ouch! The exchange sparked a storm of controversy and left Trudeau scrambling for a witty retort of his own.

Trudeau was a teacher and a snowboard instructor as an adult which means he had two more jobs and paid twice the genuine taxes that Poiliverre has done in his life.

This is not a debate this is a fact.  Absolutely zero deflection can be made that will change this fact from existing.

No matter what pithy comment gets made, Poiliverre is little more than a dollar store version of Trudeau and is a career politician catering anger to a frustrated population 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Alflives said:

I understand your sentiments, but this isn’t about “The Donald”. It’s about our Prime Minister. People said nasty stuff about him (the sex stuff as a teacher) and there was no proof it was true. Of course people will allow their personal bias to affect their judgement, so there will always be some who believe the “stories” (which clearly that’s all they are) about our PM. 

You are right, it is about our prime minister so let's put it this way. If it was PP. Do you think you or others on here would come out and say well? He never actually admitted to it nor was he charged with anything? Again, the one thing he could do is deny that it ever happened and when he was asked that point blank after debate he still didn't answer it. So I guess I will ask you why won't he just say it never happened?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Trudeau was a teacher and a snowboard instructor as an adult which means he had two more jobs and paid twice the genuine taxes that Poiliverre has done in his life.

This is not a debate this is a fact.  Absolutely zero deflection can be made that will change this fact from existing.

No matter what pithy comment gets made, Poiliverre is little more than a dollar store version of Trudeau and is a career politician catering anger to a frustrated population 

You can hate the guy as much as you want but you would be in the minority throughout this country. The guy is drawing serious crowds because he is speaking to what Canadians want to hear. I would prefer somebody who has a lot of knowledge in the actual workforce, but I would argue those options aren't available. You guys criticized O'Toole and here he was served in the military for a decade yet you guys still criticized him. The reality of it all is I don't think it matters what any conservative does you just won't support him or her. I know you'll keep up this argument that you're a small c conservative, but I'm sorry I don't buy it. You constantly go out of your way to defend Trudeau and throw conservatives under the bus. You vote NDP pro eventually and federally so I'm just confused when you say you're a small c conservative.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I would ask you to point to one time I said that people don't deserve equal treatment

You're right. Equal treatment was the wrong turn of phrase. I should have said equal respect. You have shown more than once show little respect you have for the LGBTQ community, including not that far up when you couldn't understand why someone would get angry by being misgendered. 

• Cheers 1