Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So it's a 50/50 split so the rich like Trudeau interesting. I mean he's been rich his whole life so I guess takes one to know one.

You just cant quit him, huh?

Anyway, what I found interesting about the article is that most Canadains identify with the centre. Seems so polarized on here and in the media, but apparently thats not the case.

Another point in the artilce that bucks what people on here say alot is...

'Perhaps contrary to conventional wisdom, Canadians who identify as right-of-centre aren’t more likely to be older. Among the age group 30-34, 23.2 per cent identified as on the right of the political spectrum; that’s higher than 18.1 per cent of those older than 55.'

47 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You just cant quit him, huh?

Anyway, what I found interesting about the article is that most Canadains identify with the centre. Seems so polarized on here and in the media, but apparently thats not the case.

Another point in the artilce that bucks what people on here say alot is...

'Perhaps contrary to conventional wisdom, Canadians who identify as right-of-centre aren’t more likely to be older. Among the age group 30-34, 23.2 per cent identified as on the right of the political spectrum; that’s higher than 18.1 per cent of those older than 55.'

Imagine that I'm making my voice. Heard about the prime minister of the country I live in. I wonder do you make these comments to your cohorts that have legitimately thousands of posts about a guy who isn't even president in a country they don't even live in? 

Yeah, I think that's the conventional thing about Canada is that we are all in the center. That's why the liberal party seem to be so popular for so long because they were that center party. The NDP was on the left and the conservatives were on the right. However, as I've said many times now, the liberals have moved as far left as they ever could and I don't know if their end game is to try to knock out the NDP or if this is just a Trudeau thing and who he is. I guess we'll have to see who the next leader is of the party to make a assessment.

12 hours ago, Spur1 said:

I am going to smoke a bit more to grok that bit of verbal drivel. 

I love that word, have used it so so much in my life...a good friend and I used to hike around the Mt Helliwell bluffs and smoke a joint or two at the park benches...we decided ants when they are rubbing antennae together are really Grok'in each other. it has been a favourite word ever since.

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I keep hearing how people get more conservative as they get older, but for me it was the complete opposite....

As a young adult, I voted for the Socreds in BC and the Conservatives federally. I believed in trickle down economics, because I had no background in the subject and the idea made sense. I saw union guys making twice as much as I did going on strike for even more and I thought they were greedy. I thought low income and street people were just lazy, or substance abusers, because I didn't understand the cycle of poverty and disadvantage that is the reality for many folks...

As I've grown older, I've come to the realization that maybe I am my brother's keeper.... and if my tax dollars can help someone escape this vicious circle, then I'm happy to contribute.

Maybe I'm not in the majority....I don't know.....maybe some folks just get more self centered and cynical as they get older....:classic_unsure:

Funny ting, I supported the Socreds in my youth because it was what we did in our family. My cousin was the minister of Lands and Forrests in the Socred Government of BC. As I became educated and entered into adulthood and worldly, I have drifted left and more left on some issues, I still take each issue on its own merrits and make my mind up based on what I know, and when new data comes in I am open to changing my mind, but I know I am left of center, without a doubt. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Imagine that I'm making my voice. Heard about the prime minister of the country I live in. I wonder do you make these comments to your cohorts that have legitimately thousands of posts about a guy who isn't even president in a country they don't even live in? 

Yeah, I think that's the conventional thing about Canada is that we are all in the center. That's why the liberal party seem to be so popular for so long because they were that center party. The NDP was on the left and the conservatives were on the right. However, as I've said many times now, the liberals have moved as far left as they ever could and I don't know if their end game is to try to knock out the NDP or if this is just a Trudeau thing and who he is. I guess we'll have to see who the next leader is of the party to make a assessment.

I can't answer your question but it is interesting to note these results from a few elections before Jack Layton's 'monopoly man' cancer stricken election rise in QUebec till now:

2000: NDP 13 seats (4th)

2004 NDP 19 seats (4th)

2006 NDP 29 seats (4th)

2008 NDP 37 seats (4th)

2011 NDP 103 seats (2nd)

2015 NDP 44 seats (3rd)

2019 NDP 24 seats (4th)

2021 NDP 25 seats (4th)

peak NDP on the federal scene was with the Orange Crush in Quebec under arguably a superstar leadership in Jack Layton, I never voted NDP federally, but I respect Jack. 

Mr. Dhaliwal, the lawyer from Toronto for some reason has the complete support of the NDP to be their leader.

Oh you might know him as Jagmeet Singh on account of a Dhaliwal isn't likely to get elected again in BC, but that is just an opinion, i have no real idea why he has a political nom de guerre that is different from his real name up to politics...not my pig not my farm...

I am not so sure the LIberals moved dramatically left. I know they stepped left, I have been involved in some of the policy planks that facilitated that, but i think the more dramatic thing is that the center right is lumped in with a party that is moving further right in attempts to outflank the PPC. The result of a step or two left for the liberals and several steps right by the Con men leaves the appearance of no one in the center. 

• Cheers 1

My core focus with being politically active is in three core areas: Seniors, Disabled Folks and First Nations. I had written a policy paper for the 2021 cycle that didn't win on the convention floor but basically would have created a guaranteed minimum annual income for Seniors at 30k a year. Costed out at around 3 billion. Strategy was to move to protect Seniors, and in another cycle extend it to the Disabled and finally in another cycle to First Nations: most disabled people in Canada without military service get by on 913 dollars a month. 

O.o

how is beyond my comprehension. I think we can do better. 

For seniors, it wasn't all bad: end result has been a couple 10% increases over time so it is getting better, just not radically better.

34 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

So India is expelling 41 of our Diplomats?

Leaving 21?

And Trudeau states He doesn't want to escalate things.

Yeah this ones a tough file.

I literally held the jobs at both CFIOG and the CSE that could collect the info that apparently the PM now has and at least the leader of one other party if not three other parties have seen. 

Without any details, we would have looked at things like the message envelope: systems used to communicate, geolocations of those systems, style of transmission, actors involved, and not just the message itself. I have a vague understanding that the smoking gun was shared by our allies in the US/UK/AUS/NZ/CAN alliance and likely in my mind would contain communications regarding the victim and likely to make it real would have had to be time stamped before the murder, or have specific language after the fact that would link India's officials to that murder. I have no reason to mistrust that data whatsoever but it is worth noting that intelligence can be subjective. Balance of Probablities can come into play, but from my experience 400 bits of information are condensed into a paragraph at best and mostly usually a sentence on a topic once it gets to a briefing level at the House of Commons or PM levels... Like Trudeau doesn't have a 40 page dosier on the murder, he has two sentences, maybe a few paragraphs, but the folks who have the highest clearance in the nation have all the details and the ins and outs and whos and whys, at least to teh best of our international partners and our abilities. 

I have no doubts that this was done by India's or for India's "secret agents".

As for escalating: we all know, or likely can reckon that Canada and our allies need India on the world stage to lean towards us and so I don't believe we will 'tit for tat' expel any more of India's officials, and that is what the PM was referring to. 

"We know you did it and we are upset, but it isn't going to lead to divorce" i guess is the situation.

edit: only it seems India is protesting too much about their innocence, and they will continue to. No one likes to be caught red handed in an assassination, cough Mohammed Bin Salman...lol

• Cheers 1

The turdeau has to be the most incompetent prime minister this country has ever seen.

The guy does nothing but lie and tax the hell out of us. He then takes all the taxes and either gives it to the WEF, the WHO, or any other country that comes begging. He can't even provide clean water in our own north yet he gives away all our money.

The only things he has done for this country is destroy the medical system, destroy the legal system, destroy our military, double the price of housing and everything else in his 8 years. 

He has gone further now trying to censor us all (I guess he really does dream of us being communist) and he has absolutely lost his mind on his constant woke crap.

I cannot wait until I never have to see that idiot again. 

Even drunk elizabith may would do a better job (lets do cons...).

Edited by Mac
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I can't answer your question but it is interesting to note these results from a few elections before Jack Layton's 'monopoly man' cancer stricken election rise in QUebec till now:

2000: NDP 13 seats (4th)

2004 NDP 19 seats (4th)

2006 NDP 29 seats (4th)

2008 NDP 37 seats (4th)

2011 NDP 103 seats (2nd)

2015 NDP 44 seats (3rd)

2019 NDP 24 seats (4th)

2021 NDP 25 seats (4th)

peak NDP on the federal scene was with the Orange Crush in Quebec under arguably a superstar leadership in Jack Layton, I never voted NDP federally, but I respect Jack. 

Mr. Dhaliwal, the lawyer from Toronto for some reason has the complete support of the NDP to be their leader.

Oh you might know him as Jagmeet Singh on account of a Dhaliwal isn't likely to get elected again in BC, but that is just an opinion, i have no real idea why he has a political nom de guerre that is different from his real name up to politics...not my pig not my farm...

I am not so sure the LIberals moved dramatically left. I know they stepped left, I have been involved in some of the policy planks that facilitated that, but i think the more dramatic thing is that the center right is lumped in with a party that is moving further right in attempts to outflank the PPC. The result of a step or two left for the liberals and several steps right by the Con men leaves the appearance of no one in the center. 

I love how you couldn't actually say conservatives. You had to say con men. It kind of already shows your position. That being said, I actually agree with you on Jack Layton to be perfectly honest of all the politicians that I followed. So let's say over the last 25 years he was probably my favorite yet I would never vote NDP nor did I ever vote NDP while he was the leader. But I do respect the guy. Think he was a true leadership candidate in that while I disagreed with him. I'm glad he had the passion for the positions that he was trying to move towards. That's the thing. I don't hate anybody if they vote NDP, liberal or even green as long as they are passionate and they have a idea of why they are behind that movement. But when they blindly just say Trudeau or the liberals are better than conservatives then no, I can't respect that. As far as the conservatives moving further to the right, I don't think that's the case. I mean, what's the most right-wing thing about them that they don't support mass vaccination?? I mean hell half of them do lol. But let's just look under the previous conservative government. Remember the boogeyman Stephen Harper that was so far right from his reformer days. Yeah that same Stephen Harper brought in more immigrants than any other prime minister before him he never took away a woman's right to choose and he also never ban gay marriage and he kept up with the universal health care. So I mean, let's be honest. Do you really think they're that far right? And in my opinion, if anybody thinks the conservatives in Canada are that far right? Or attempting to be. They are really left wing to think that lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I love how you couldn't actually say conservatives. You had to say con men. It kind of already shows your position. That being said, I actually agree with you on Jack Layton to be perfectly honest of all the politicians that I followed. So let's say over the last 25 years he was probably my favorite yet I would never vote NDP nor did I ever vote NDP while he was the leader. But I do respect the guy. Think he was a true leadership candidate in that while I disagreed with him. I'm glad he had the passion for the positions that he was trying to move towards. That's the thing. I don't hate anybody if they vote NDP, liberal or even green as long as they are passionate and they have a idea of why they are behind that movement. But when they blindly just say Trudeau or the liberals are better than conservatives then no, I can't respect that. As far as the conservatives moving further to the right, I don't think that's the case. I mean, what's the most right-wing thing about them that they don't support mass vaccination?? I mean hell half of them do lol. But let's just look under the previous conservative government. Remember the boogeyman Stephen Harper that was so far right from his reformer days. Yeah that same Stephen Harper brought in more immigrants than any other prime minister before him he never took away a woman's right to choose and he also never ban gay marriage and he kept up with the universal health care. So I mean, let's be honest. Do you really think they're that far right? And in my opinion, if anybody thinks the conservatives in Canada are that far right? Or attempting to be. They are really left wing to think that lol.

Good post. 

the modern canadian conservative movement is MUCH further right than the Conservative government of Brian Mulrooney for instance. Quite literally the Reform extremists managed to remerge the entire right wing with them in control. O'Toole attempted to make a move back to the "progressive conservative' side of things and was quickly knifed down by the rest of the party. 

globally there is an inch between Canada's left wing and Canada's right wing: but within just our borders the Right wing of politics is marching further Maga Right than ever before. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Good post. 

the modern canadian conservative movement is MUCH further right than the Conservative government of Brian Mulrooney for instance. Quite literally the Reform extremists managed to remerge the entire right wing with them in control. O'Toole attempted to make a move back to the "progressive conservative' side of things and was quickly knifed down by the rest of the party. 

globally there is an inch between Canada's left wing and Canada's right wing: but within just our borders the Right wing of politics is marching further Maga Right than ever before. 

Well yeah if we are going to compare it to the progressive conservatives then I would agree with you. However, I think near the end the progressive conservatives and the liberals were getting so close in policy that it was hard to tell the difference. I don't know. I just see Trudeau moving to the left and I mean you might have some points in that the conservatives are moving to the right but I just don't think it's as far right as some would say. As far as the moving to the left for Trudeau, I thought that for some time and I do wonder if it's a bigger plan to do away with the NDP. But like I've said many times you look at Britain. Their liberal party was pretty much gone and now they just have the labour and the conservatives. So I wonder if there is a world in the future where we just have the conservatives and the NDP a true choice between left and right.

Edit: it is worth noting that in Alberta it's a true choice between left and right, although our NDP is more in the middle Centre. But the liberal party here finishes behind pretty much everybody and they only run in about maybe a quarter of the ridings. but yeah in Alberta it's just a two-party race.

Edited by Ryan Strome

5 hours ago, Mac said:

He can't even provide clean water in our own north

All of the rock throwing aside, this here needs a reply. 

143 long term drinking water advisories have been lifted since 2015.

Literally the party that could not provide clean water was the previous PM Harper Gov. 

As of now, in 2023 there are 26 first nations communities in Canada with long term water advisories. 

15 more advisories are about to be lifted pending final inspections

10 more are under construction

1 is in the feasibility study phase to determine what is needed and how much it will cost.

Commitment: End all long-term drinking water advisories on public systems on reserve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Good post. 

Ya, I look at someone like Leslyn Lewis PhD.  She ran for leadership in 2020 and 2022.  She didn't win, but isn't some nobody.  Solidly in the Social CON camp.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Funny ting, I supported the Socreds in my youth because it was what we did in our family. My cousin was the minister of Lands and Forrests in the Socred Government of BC. As I became educated and entered into adulthood and worldly, I have drifted left and more left on some issues, I still take each issue on its own merrits and make my mind up based on what I know, and when new data comes in I am open to changing my mind, but I know I am left of center, without a doubt. 

This is my view on politics as well. I don't believe in sides on any issue. I too find I am leaning more left on many issues but the whole social conservative movement we are witnessing is a non-starter for me. Anyone who uses the word woke has instantly lost my support. We've been telling kids for decades it's okay to be who you are and I'll be damned if I'm going to let them down now. A poster the other day mentioned how our skytrains are crime ridden and full of junkies shooting up. My step son rides the Skytrain everyday and all I've heard about is a number of homophobic attacks he's witnessed. I've seen it in schools too. Lgbtq signs being defaced, lgbtq clubs being booed, and lgbtq kids being mercilessly bullied. This has made me a single issue voter and until the fiscal conservatives show up and put and put an end to this nonsense I'll continue to vote for anyone else. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

All of the rock throwing aside, this here needs a reply. 

143 long term drinking water advisories have been lifted since 2015.

Literally the party that could not provide clean water was the previous PM Harper Gov. 

As of February 2023 there are 26 first nations communities in Canada with long term water advisories. 

15 more advisories are about to be lifted pending final inspections

10 more are under construction

1 is in the feasibility study phase to determine what is needed and how much it will cost.

But to be fair, didn't he say that he was going to make sure everybody had clean drinking water? 

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, I look at someone like Leslyn Lewis PhD.  She ran for leadership in 2020 and 2022.  She didn't win, but isn't some nobody.  Solidly in the Social CON camp.

She actually is a nobody though. I mean, I know that the CBC likes to portray her as if she's some sort of queen of conservative politics, but she is nothing but a nobody with archaic views.

I Mean if you hold on to one person like that then didn't Dominic LeBlanc run for the leadership of the Liberal party at one time? He's a pretty crooked criminal. I don't think all liberals are crooked criminals..

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

But to be fair, didn't he say that he was going to make sure everybody had clean drinking water? 

absolutely and you can see every one of those long term advisories is being addressed. Or do you suppose he can just clap his hands and voila, it is done?