Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

have you lived under a rock since December 2019? You are smarter than this petty BS

I'm not smarter than anything. You're giving me too much credit lol. If you make a promise in politics and you can't keep it, you deserve to be called out for it. I remember a thread pointing out the promises that Jason Kenney was unable to keep and wouldn't you know we did the right thing and threw him out for it.

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

You just cant quit him, huh?

Anyway, what I found interesting about the article is that most Canadains identify with the centre. Seems so polarized on here and in the media, but apparently thats not the case.

Another point in the artilce that bucks what people on here say alot is...

'Perhaps contrary to conventional wisdom, Canadians who identify as right-of-centre aren’t more likely to be older. Among the age group 30-34, 23.2 per cent identified as on the right of the political spectrum; that’s higher than 18.1 per cent of those older than 55.'

Honestly, I think the work camps are a huge contributor to the radicalization of millennial men.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

She actually is a nobody though. I mean, I know that the CBC likes to portray her as if she's some sort of queen of conservative politics, but she is nothing but a nobody with archaic views.

I Mean if you hold on to one person like that then didn't Dominic LeBlanc run for the leadership of the Liberal party at one time? He's a pretty crooked criminal. I don't think all liberals are crooked criminals..

If someone like me knows about her, then she isn't really a nobody.  I have some old friends who were goo goo ga ga over her when she went to Calgary during the last leadership run.  

I agree on her archaic views, but she gets votes.  So what does that tell ya about the Conservative party?  It tells me that they are not too concerned about those archaic views.  In fact, many may have those same views.  Wink Wink nudge nudge.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not smarter than anything. You're giving me too much credit lol. If you make a promise in politics and you can't keep it, you deserve to be called out for it. I remember a thread pointing out the promises that Jason Kenney was unable to keep and wouldn't you know we did the right thing and threw him out for it.

Replacing him with someone even more unhinged isn't an improvement.  That's what you're advocating again by suggesting that PP should be allowed a chance to run Canada and help us opt out of inflation with Bitcoin.

so you dont think it is a monumental achievement to solve all the long term water advisories by 2024 because it was meant to be 3 years sooner? 

tough crowd, how would any human being live up to your expectations aside from just not promising anything: which so far that is Pierre Poilievre's thing: no promises, just waiting for the other guys to make mistakes. That is not leadership, that is a troll who managed to get elected to lead the Con Men. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

If someone like me knows about her, then she isn't really a nobody.  I have some old friends who were goo goo ga ga over her when she went to Calgary during the last leadership run.  

I agree on her archaic views, but she gets votes.  So what does that tell ya about the Conservative party?  It tells me that they are not too concerned about those archaic views.  In fact, many may have those same views.  Wink Wink nudge nudge.

Well I mean I guess you have a point, but just so you know, there is lots of liberals that don't support same-sex marriage and don't support a woman's right to choose how the prime minister was one of those people not too long ago. So I think all sides have people in the party that are not ones you and I would like to be friends with. But again, I will hold firm that she will never ever be anything in the party than a small backroom voice that nobody listens to.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Replacing him with someone even more unhinged isn't an improvement.  That's what you're advocating again by suggesting that PP should be allowed a chance to run Canada and help us opt out of inflation with Bitcoin.

Why don't you point to the achievements that Trudeau has actually got under his belt? Because all I hear from you is more the same rather than giving somebody else a try.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

so you dont think it is a monumental achievement to solve all the long term water advisories by 2024 because it was meant to be 3 years sooner? 

tough crowd, how would any human being live up to your expectations aside from just not promising anything: which so far that is Pierre Poilievre's thing: no promises, just waiting for the other guys to make mistakes. That is not leadership, that is a troll who managed to get elected to lead the Con Men. 

Oh I do think it's a monumental achievement and I'm more than happy to see it done considering I belong to the indigenous community. But again, if you are able to look past everything and say well, at least it got done. I don't have to trust what they tell me then what's the point really, you'll always support the guy. See if you hadn't noticed. There is conservative that I've called out and criticized in the past, but that's the thing I've noticed with liberals is they don't seem to ever call out Trudeau or other liberals. The fact of the matter is he was wrong and at this point it was a lie and if you can't admit that and you're willing to look past it, is there really any point for you and me to debate this?

Why don't you point to the achievements that Trudeau has actually got under his belt? Because all I hear from you is more the same rather than giving somebody else a try.

Legalizing Cannabis

Effectively navigating Covid

Renegotiation of NAFTA while the US was under a hostile administration. I'm open to giving someone else a try, but not the bigot the cons currently call a leader.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well I mean I guess you have a point, but just so you know, there is lots of liberals that don't support same-sex marriage and don't support a woman's right to choose how the prime minister was one of those people not too long ago. So I think all sides have people in the party that are not ones you and I would like to be friends with. But again, I will hold firm that she will never ever be anything in the party than a small backroom voice that nobody listens to.

Oh I do think it's a monumental achievement and I'm more than happy to see it done considering I belong to the indigenous community. But again, if you are able to look past everything and say well, at least it got done. I don't have to trust what they tell me then what's the point really, you'll always support the guy. See if you hadn't noticed. There is conservative that I've called out and criticized in the past, but that's the thing I've noticed with liberals is they don't seem to ever call out Trudeau or other liberals. The fact of the matter is he was wrong and at this point it was a lie and if you can't admit that and you're willing to look past it, is there really any point for you and me to debate this?

None at all, but to be fair, we are rando's in a hockey forum, there never was a point at all my dude.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Legalizing Cannabis

Effectively navigating Covid

Renegotiation of NAFTA while the US was under a hostile administration. I'm open to giving someone else a try, but not the bigot the cons currently call a leader.

Now it all makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

None at all, but to be fair, we are rando's in a hockey forum, there never was a point at all my dude.

Sure there was a point. I really enjoy political debates but I don't enjoy the tribalism in politics today. I mean I like PP but admittedly is lack of real life work experience is a huge red flag. But it's almost laughable that a filthy rich guy who has had a security detail since the day he was born knows anything about the middle class, yet liberals believe him..

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Imagine that I'm making my voice. Heard about the prime minister of the country I live in. I wonder do you make these comments to your cohorts that have legitimately thousands of posts about a guy who isn't even president in a country they don't even live in? 

Yeah, I think that's the conventional thing about Canada is that we are all in the center. That's why the liberal party seem to be so popular for so long because they were that center party. The NDP was on the left and the conservatives were on the right. However, as I've said many times now, the liberals have moved as far left as they ever could and I don't know if their end game is to try to knock out the NDP or if this is just a Trudeau thing and who he is. I guess we'll have to see who the next leader is of the party to make a assessment.

I can imagine that. You menion him a lot.  Though I'll leave you alone about JT. I'm just adding to what I find annoying, which is every article/thread about anything in Canada has comments about the PM. People used to go on about TDS...well JTDS is alive and well. 

I thought you might find that article interesting as it talks about some perceptions vs reality ( rich are on the right etc). It also gve me a bit of hope that we aren't all so far apart as this interweb tells me on the regular. As you say canada has a lot of folks in the center. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I can imagine that. You menion him a lot.  Though I'll leave you alone about JT. I'm just adding to what I find annoying, which is every article/thread about anything in Canada has comments about the PM. People used to go on about TDS...well JTDS is alive and well. 

I thought you might find that article interesting as it talks about some perceptions vs reality ( rich are on the right etc). It also gve me a bit of hope that we aren't all so far apart as this interweb tells me on the regular. As you say canada has a lot of folks in the center. 

is the Canadian politics thread So we are discussing the prime minister as he is an important player in Canadian politics at the moment. Looked at the American politics thread. It's all about a guy who hasn't been president since 2020. I don't see you telling anybody in there, they're talking about the former president too much.

27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Now it all makes sense.

Sure there was a point. I really enjoy political debates but I don't enjoy the tribalism in politics today. I mean I like PP but admittedly is lack of real life work experience is a huge red flag. But it's almost laughable that a filthy rich guy who has had a security detail since the day he was born knows anything about the middle class, yet liberals believe him..

You just draw me in lol.

Stop making things up...geez.  He never had a security detail his whole life.  Pretty sure he was on his own when he was  nightclub bouncer , a snowboard and white water rafting instructor.

One of my friends taught at the same school as him ....I emailed him about said security detail and he said nope.

That said his time is done.  He should step away or the Liberals don't have a chance.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Now it all makes sense.

Legalisation was huge for me. I hated being considered a criminal. Now i can actually going into law enforcement, I'm looking to be recruited as a CO later this year.

It's added $43billion to the GDP and thats with a terrible roll out. There is still lots more money they could make in the industry, nevermind the strides it is making in the healthcare side of things. My mum is over the moon with her CBD pills for arthritis, she never would have touched it had it not been legal. 

I know you like to diss us stoners and imply we are dumb but I wont hold that against you. Maybe I'm just a chill person....for some reason 🤔

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

is the Canadian politics thread So we are discussing the prime minister as he is an important player in Canadian politics at the moment. Looked at the American politics thread. It's all about a guy who hasn't been president since 2020. I don't see you telling anybody in there, they're talking about the former president too much.

Sure, but didn't make sense as a response to my post... so I thought I would counter your joke with a joke.

I thought it was a good one too...to a man that once posted a pic of JT in a pink nazi outfit and a rainbow swastika ...a nod to brokeback mountain seemed to make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That was a great article, although most people thinking their own views are centrist is human nature, notably it cites Alberta and Saskatchewan voters consider their selves mostly centrist, but in the policy details overwhelmingly select right wing choices of the available answers. I like things like the interactive vote compass you see in the news where each individual can answer their conscience on policy questions and then it tabulated where your answer lay in a 3d "map" of all the folks who do it. Very interesting to see the results of that, like points of single birds in a starling flock of a million birds..

• Cheers 1

image.png.67ae75853f9cadfb5b2588702e1551d8.png

Liberal MP Greg Fergus has been elected the new Speaker of the House of Commons — and his first challenge will be to help Parliament turn the page on the embarrassing Yaroslav Hunka incident.

Fergus, who represents the Quebec riding of Hull-Aylmer near Ottawa, is the first Black Speaker of the Commons. He was picked by his colleagues through a secret ranked-ballot vote.

In his pitch for the job, Fergus vowed to improve the decorum in the Commons — something past Speakers have also promised with little success.

Debates in the chamber routinely include nasty partisan bickering. MPs also often flout the rules and heckling is a common tactic, particularly in question period.

"Respect and decorum — I'm going to be working hard on this and I need all your help to make this happen," Fergus said in his first remarks from the Speaker's chair after being elected.

"Respect is a fundamental part of what we do here. We need to make sure that we treat each other with respect and we show Canadians that example. There can be no dialogue unless there's a mutual understanding of respect."

• Like 1

Bank of Canada deputy governor Nicolas Vincent says businesses raising their prices more frequently than they did before the pandemic is contributing to higher-than-expected inflation.

Vincent made the comments Tuesday in his first speech as external non-executive deputy governor, a newly created role, to the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal.

In prepared remarks for his speech, which was delivered primarily in French, Vincent said price increases have been larger than normal and more frequent than before the pandemic — a trend that has persisted.

"We believe that this behaviour by firms — both here and abroad — is intimately linked to the stronger-than-expected inflation we've seen," Vincent said.

Corporate profits have drawn a lot of attention post-pandemic, as some people have questioned the fairness of rising profits during a period of high inflation.

Recent research from the central bank shows price increases have closely mirrored the cost increases businesses have faced. However, Vincent notes that even stable profit margins would mean customers are carrying the entire burden of higher prices.

The deputy governor says these recent discoveries about the effect pricing behaviour may be having on inflation is leading the Bank of Canada to rethink its assumptions about what drives inflation.

"The impact of our recent discoveries shouldn't be underestimated. They force us to revisit some of the assumptions we make in our economic models as well as question the relationship between inflation and its drivers," he said.

Vincent outlined some risks to the inflation outlook associated with the abnormal corporate pricing. The deputy governor said higher labour and financing costs could continue to push prices up. He also noted that the unusual pricing behaviour could be "sticky."

"Firms might continue to make larger and more frequent price changes even when many of the factors driving those changes have gone away," he said.

That could be due to new technology — namely electronic price tags — making it easier to raise prices, and consolidation in some industries may be reducing the competitive pressures that make it harder to raise prices, the deputy governor said.

"Perhaps the biggest risk of all is the idea that recent pricing behaviour could become self-perpetuating," Vincent told the business audience. "If you continue to expect your suppliers and competitors to make frequent price changes, you might be more prone to do the same yourself, creating a feedback loop."

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I can't answer your question but it is interesting to note these results from a few elections before Jack Layton's 'monopoly man' cancer stricken election rise in QUebec till now:

2000: NDP 13 seats (4th)

2004 NDP 19 seats (4th)

2006 NDP 29 seats (4th)

2008 NDP 37 seats (4th)

2011 NDP 103 seats (2nd)

2015 NDP 44 seats (3rd)

2019 NDP 24 seats (4th)

2021 NDP 25 seats (4th)

peak NDP on the federal scene was with the Orange Crush in Quebec under arguably a superstar leadership in Jack Layton, I never voted NDP federally, but I respect Jack. 

Mr. Dhaliwal, the lawyer from Toronto for some reason has the complete support of the NDP to be their leader.

Oh you might know him as Jagmeet Singh on account of a Dhaliwal isn't likely to get elected again in BC, but that is just an opinion, i have no real idea why he has a political nom de guerre that is different from his real name up to politics...not my pig not my farm...

I am not so sure the LIberals moved dramatically left. I know they stepped left, I have been involved in some of the policy planks that facilitated that, but i think the more dramatic thing is that the center right is lumped in with a party that is moving further right in attempts to outflank the PPC. The result of a step or two left for the liberals and several steps right by the Con men leaves the appearance of no one in the center. 

Jack Layton was a good man and probably the best leader the NDP ever had.  It's a travesty that he died just as the NDP were rising to power and being a more popular party than the Liberals federally.  He was a guy people could trust.  Unlike the guy that is in charge of the NDP now.  Imagine trusting a guy who changes his name just to run for politics and then goes to bed with the opposition just to stay in power with no regard for his constituents at all.

The NDP will certainly be in a freefall the next election unless they get a new leader...

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You just draw me in lol.

Stop making things up...geez.  He never had a security detail his whole life.  Pretty sure he was on his own when he was  nightclub bouncer , a snowboard and white water rafting instructor.

One of my friends taught at the same school as him ....I emailed him about said security detail and he said nope.

That said his time is done.  He should step away or the Liberals don't have a chance.

Such compelling evidence. I know a guy lol

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Legalisation was huge for me. I hated being considered a criminal. Now i can actually going into law enforcement, I'm looking to be recruited as a CO later this year.

It's added $43billion to the GDP and thats with a terrible roll out. There is still lots more money they could make in the industry, nevermind the strides it is making in the healthcare side of things. My mum is over the moon with her CBD pills for arthritis, she never would have touched it had it not been legal. 

I know you like to diss us stoners and imply we are dumb but I wont hold that against you. Maybe I'm just a chill person....for some reason 🤔

Sure, but didn't make sense as a response to my post... so I thought I would counter your joke with a joke.

I thought it was a good one too...to a man that once posted a pic of JT in a pink nazi outfit and a rainbow swastika ...a nod to brokeback mountain seemed to make sense.

Lol 

As for marijuana, I think you have me pegged wrong. I have no issues with it being legalized but if that's the main purpose of why somebody voted for them then it shows me that they weren't too concerned about policy but rather just being able to enjoy going into a store to buy a pack of joints. So for the record I do support legalization of marijuana and I do enjoy smoking every now and again.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol 

As for marijuana, I think you have me pegged wrong. I have no issues with it being legalized but if that's the main purpose of why somebody voted for them then it shows me that they weren't too concerned about policy but rather just being able to enjoy going into a store to buy a pack of joints. So for the record I do support legalization of marijuana and I do enjoy smoking every now and again.

Trans bathroom boogeyman says hi. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Good post. 

the modern canadian conservative movement is MUCH further right than the Conservative government of Brian Mulrooney for instance. Quite literally the Reform extremists managed to remerge the entire right wing with them in control. O'Toole attempted to make a move back to the "progressive conservative' side of things and was quickly knifed down by the rest of the party. 

globally there is an inch between Canada's left wing and Canada's right wing: but within just our borders the Right wing of politics is marching further Maga Right than ever before. 

The Conservatives under PP are farther right that the Conservatives under Brian Mulroney.  The Liberals under Trudeau are also farther left than the Liberals of Jean Chretien.  Same with the US.  The Democrats under Biden are farther left than the Democrats under JFK or even Clinton.  The Republicans under Trump are farther right than the Republicans under Reagan.

We have a big problem in politics in Canada and the US right now.  All 4 of these parties need to go back to where they used to be in order to permanently fix things...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Honestly, I think the work camps are a huge contributor to the radicalization of millennial men.

Who are you calling a radical? Just the other day you said it was all right to teach people to wish death upon people they don't like. I would call that radicalization. I actually find it more scary given that you teach children in school as a profession.

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Trans bathroom boogeyman says hi. 

So what's that thing about staying on topic? I 

Edited by Ryan Strome

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol 

I very rarely smoke.  I'd just rather not waste court, prison, and police resources and would prefer to be able to collect tax on the revenue.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol 

The one time I voted Lib it was because of this and ER. Again, being considered a criminal was something that I really did not like.

I was pissed about the electoral reform promise being broken so I didn't vote for that party again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I very rarely smoke.  I'd just rather not waste court, prison, and police resources and would prefer to be able to collect tax on the revenue.

Plus 1 

I concur.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The one time I voted Lib it was because of this and ER. Again, being considered a criminal was something that I really did not like.

I was pissed about the electoral reform promise being broken so I didn't vote for that party again. 

Yeah the liberals and conservative will never actually bring electoral reform because if they do they will never form another majority government. But I imagine they will continue to lie to us. That being said, if the NDP ever finds themselves in a position to form government, I imagine they will change their position on electoral reform as well. Our politicians in this country are far too greedy because our system allows them absolute power with the majority government.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

image.png.67ae75853f9cadfb5b2588702e1551d8.png

Liberal MP Greg Fergus has been elected the new Speaker of the House of Commons — and his first challenge will be to help Parliament turn the page on the embarrassing Yaroslav Hunka incident.

Fergus, who represents the Quebec riding of Hull-Aylmer near Ottawa, is the first Black Speaker of the Commons. He was picked by his colleagues through a secret ranked-ballot vote.

In his pitch for the job, Fergus vowed to improve the decorum in the Commons — something past Speakers have also promised with little success.

Debates in the chamber routinely include nasty partisan bickering. MPs also often flout the rules and heckling is a common tactic, particularly in question period.

"Respect and decorum — I'm going to be working hard on this and I need all your help to make this happen," Fergus said in his first remarks from the Speaker's chair after being elected.

"Respect is a fundamental part of what we do here. We need to make sure that we treat each other with respect and we show Canadians that example. There can be no dialogue unless there's a mutual understanding of respect."

A great choice!!