Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

As far as the speaker of the house goes, I mean I totally understand why the conservatives and liberals don't do it. But I would like to see them pick a member from the NDP or the greens to be the speaker. I think that would be good for democracy. With that said, I actually think Jag would be good at that role. I mean I don't support the NDP at all and I think his policies would be disastrous for the nation but I actually don't mind him that much as an individual and his passion for his views for Canada.

38 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The one time I voted Lib it was because of this and ER. Again, being considered a criminal was something that I really did not like.

I was pissed about the electoral reform promise being broken so I didn't vote for that party again. 

I too am sad that Electoral Reform was unable to be brought in. This wasn't a decision to reneg on a promise, this was a situation where was no consensus between stakeholders. The Cons opposed it entirely, with 140ish seats and the NDP with 25ish seats was demanding that the party gets seats to fill with insiders( yes proportional representation means that a party gets a seat, not an accountable human being) while the BLOC are simply there to promote Quebec sovereignty, and the greens are irrelevant with only 1 seat at the time. There was no way to make this happen without opening up the constitution to rewriting, which no one wants and would have been even harder to do. So the policy is shelved, it is still a liberal policy to try to reform elections to a ranked Ballot almost identical to the kind that the Conservatives use to select their leader. The one used to make Pierre Poilievre the leader of the opposition.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I too am sad that Electoral Reform was unable to be brought in. This wasn't a decision to reneg on a promise, this was a situation where was no consensus between stakeholders. The Cons opposed it entirely, with 140ish seats and the NDP with 25ish seats was demanding that the party gets seats to fill with insiders( yes proportional representation means that a party gets a seat, not an accountable human being) while the BLOC are simply there to promote Quebec sovereignty, and the greens are irrelevant with only 1 seat at the time. There was no way to make this happen without opening up the constitution to rewriting, which no one wants and would have been even harder to do. So the policy is shelved, it is still a liberal policy to try to reform elections to a ranked Ballot almost identical to the kind that the Conservatives use to select their leader. The one used to make Pierre Poilievre the leader of the opposition.

Do you honestly believe this? It was 100% a broken promise. The prime minister even said that it would allow fringe parties to enter into the hoc. That's actually quite a scary thing to say because how Canadians vote is how Canadians vote and to have one person determine who is fringe or not is pretty ridiculous and pretty dictatorial. It's the same old ball game. They'll never change it because if they do the conservatives and liberals will not be able to gain a majority. Trudeau himself may have meant it but the moment he took power those in the know told him that'll never happen. At least that's what I believe.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Our minority government came to a consensus on this elected member, and I fully support that decision.

I believe it's a person of colour and that's why maybe you said it was an excellent choice. While I won't criticize the choice, I do wonder why somebody that was in a conflict of interest scandal is a good choice. Also, our government is hardly a minority. It's a coalition at this point.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Do you honestly believe this? It was 100% a broken promise. The prime minister even said that it would allow fringe parties to enter into the hoc. That's actually quite a scary thing to say because how Canadians vote is how Canadians vote and to have one person determine who is fringe or not is pretty ridiculous and pretty dictatorial. It's the same old ball game. They'll never change it because if they do the conservatives and liberals will not be able to gain a majority. Trudeau himself may have meant it but the moment he took power those in the know told him that'll never happen. At least that's what I believe.

He did say that, about PROP REP, not ranked ballots where a true majority of voters have to reach consensus on the candidate to represent them. Prop Rep gives any party with a fractional vote share a seat, with no public input as to who fills it, just the party insiders...election reform does not mean prop rep, it means a change from first past the post, and I at least would think that the system the Conservatives use to elect a leader would be a good system to elect local representation to the House.

Edit: to spell it out, an 3xtremist party let's call them "The Brownshirts" get 1% of the vote, in a house of 338 seats that is 3 seats! ... I don't care what your definition of extremist might be, the "Kalistan Party" or the Bulshevik Party or the Violet Revengers.. a fringe party with 1% support would have 3 seats in our House of Parliament. If these people were extreme bigots, imagine a member of Parliament saying something like So and so community are not people, they are animals" it is not a good idea to make it easier for fringe positions to make it to official office.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

He did say that, about PROP REP, not ranked ballots where a true majority of voters have to reach consensus on the candidate to represent them. Prop Rep gives any party with a fractional vote share a seat, with no public input as to who fills it, just the party insiders...election reform does not mean prop rep, it means a change from first past the post, and I at least would think that the system the Conservatives use to elect a leader would be a good system to elect local representation to the House.

I mean if we look to European countries, we see some of the models that we should consider following in my opinion. You can't even form a government until you go to the other parties to see if you can make a coalition with them and when you make a coalition with them means there has to be something on the table for the folks that would have voted for that party. In my opinion, more Canadians are represented that way.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I mean if we look to European countries, we see some of the models that we should consider following in my opinion. You can't even form a government until you go to the other parties to see if you can make a coalition with them and when you make a coalition with them means there has to be something on the table for the folks that would have voted for that party. In my opinion, more Canadians are represented that way.

So you agree that the Liberal Government comjg to a consensus with the NDP is a good democratic way forward. Good to hear.

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

So you agree that the Liberal Government comjg to a consensus with the NDP is a good democratic way forward. Good to hear.

Is that what you took from that? No, many European countries have three or four different parties involved in the coalition. Also, in my opinion the only reason that happened is because the NDP is bankrupt and don't have any money for an election lol

Thank god when the cons get back in they will hand out jobs based on skill level.

Enough of this woke crap already. Thankfully many canadians are also getting back on board with this common sense belief (the left calls it racism somehow).

Yes yes...the far left will scream "racist" at the thought of handing out jobs based on skill.  But honestly who cares at this point. They yell "racism" every time they don't get their way.

This new house speaker is just another corrupt lib as per ethics violations. There is no honestly left in politics so we just have to go with the one that will do the least damage...and the turdeau has certainly done mountains of damage in this country.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Is that what you took from that? No, many European countries have three or four different parties involved in the coalition. Also, in my opinion the only reason that happened is because the NDP is bankrupt and don't have any money for an election lol

Yeah I thought you didn't really think too long on that post. What you pointed to is 3xactly what you currently hate here in practice.

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Yeah I thought you didn't really think too long on that post. What you pointed to is 3xactly what you currently hate here in practice.

No, it's not at all because I actually support proportional representation which it's clear you dislike. I wonder if you disliked it when Trudeau liked it or if you just disliked it after he disliked it? Again, the point I was making let's say you need a true majority 50 plus one. You may need three parties. You may need four, not two parties, one of which is only doing this so they don't have to go through an election as they have no money.

So just imagine if the PPC won a dozen seats or so and PP need a 10 more seats to form a majority government. Some of you guys would be getting out your passports and leaving the country lol

Truthfully though it's still not the same. Any way you want to look at it? Because here we have the NDP who have essentially gotten nothing out of this deal and they are still propping up the government in these European countries they have elections all the time because the parties will pull the pin on them. We actually need politicians who stand up for their constituents. That's why I always laugh in this country doesn't matter if it's conservative or liberal. They'll all stand up and vote the same way. How can everything be the same from British Columbia all the way to Newfoundland? It's absolutely ridiculous. Maybe a better way to go would be make everything a free vote in the House of Commons but then our politicians knowing that they have a pension after 6 years they might not be willing to do that. That was a nice treat that the liberals made only 6 years. Don't believe @Warhippy When he tells you it was a conservatives under Harper I had to correct him a few times. I'm still waiting for him to thank me. It's been years now. 😊

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hey, honest question. Would you consider me the spice or the meatball?

Same goes for you futz, am I the cracker, the nut or the banana?

@Sabrefan1 I thought you told me McCarthy would be okay? I can't believe this all happened so fast. I'm going to have to turn the TV on. I hardly watch any TV at all. Especially I don't watch American news as of late so I'll have to tune in to see what the noise is all about

Honest answer.

I was thinking about you when I wrote spice, another self-quoting poster when I wrote meatball.

23 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I dont know. They dont seem to be going on about it much anymore, but I believe you that there are hurdles.

I like simple things. I would like to live in a world where everyones vote is equal.

BC sent out options when we had our provincial referendum and I realised I would need a degree to figure out which version of ER was best. Not simple at all. I know there is many reasons for the different methods and ways we elect officials but i sometimes wonder if it doesn't need an overhaul. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Mac said:

Thank god when the cons get back in they will hand out jobs based on skill level.

Enough of this woke crap already. Thankfully many canadians are also getting back on board with this common sense belief (the left calls it racism somehow).

Yes yes...the far left will scream "racist" at the thought of handing out jobs based on skill.  But honestly who cares at this point. They yell "racism" every time they don't get their way.

This new house speaker is just another corrupt lib as per ethics violations. There is no honestly left in politics so we just have to go with the one that will do the least damage...and the turdeau has certainly done mountains of damage in this country.

Hey there.

Do you respond to any questions or just post? It's a discussion board, I am waiting on what community/work place you live where gay and lesbians are telling you they are tired of LGB?

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

As far as the speaker of the house goes, I mean I totally understand why the conservatives and liberals don't do it. But I would like to see them pick a member from the NDP or the greens to be the speaker. I think that would be good for democracy. With that said, I actually think Jag would be good at that role. I mean I don't support the NDP at all and I think his policies would be disastrous for the nation but I actually don't mind him that much as an individual and his passion for his views for Canada.

Fergus beat out P.E.I. Liberal MP Sean Casey, Nova Scotia Conservative MP Chris d'Entremont, Ontario NDP MP Carol Hughes, B.C. Green MP Elizabeth May, Quebec Liberal MP Alexandra Mendès and Quebec Liberal MP Peter Schiefke for the job.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Fergus beat out P.E.I. Liberal MP Sean Casey, Nova Scotia Conservative MP Chris d'Entremont, Ontario NDP MP Carol Hughes, B.C. Green MP Elizabeth May, Quebec Liberal MP Alexandra Mendès and Quebec Liberal MP Peter Schiefke for the job.

Yeah, getting the majority of MPs support , I  addition to being from Hull, in addition to being a visible minority group member, in addition to being a genuinely kind, intelligent and caring person in my opinion, every time I have had the pleasure of hearing and seeing him makes me like the choice, it also highlights the differences between our politics and the Yankee version where they will be voting 26 or 30 rounds and might not still settle on a new speaker later today. LOL

In sporting parlance the GOP in America just scored on their own net.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Yeah, I was pissed about ER as well. Ranked ballot seems to make the most sense IMO. Be nice if the NDP could convince the Libs to finally do it, given current polling 😆

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, I was pissed about ER as well. Ranked ballot seems to make the most sense IMO. Be nice if the NDP could convince the Libs to finally do it, given current polling 😆

Frankly, the NDP were the reas9n it had to b shelved, outright refusal to budge off the PROP Rep style, which only benefits very tiny vote share parties.

Ranked Ballot leads to over 50% of the local voters having selected the winner, has a person win the seat, not a party. Prop Rep would be very bad for us, I believe. If the NDP changed their minds on PROP Rep or bust, then I know the idea could be re-ignited quickly.

I really want a ranked ballot reform and not just change for changes sake.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Who are you calling a radical? Just the other day you said it was all right to teach people to wish death upon people they don't like. I would call that radicalization. I actually find it more scary given that you teach children in school as a profession.

So what's that thing about staying on topic? I 

I said that?  I'm an excellent teacher thanks and I give my kids every ounce of energy ive got, and then some.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Frankly, the NDP were the reas9n it had to b shelved, outright refusal to budge off the PROP Rep style, which only benefits very tiny vote share parties.

Ranked Ballot leads to over 50% of the local voters having selected the winner, has a person win the seat, not a party. Prop Rep would be very bad for us, I believe. If the NDP changed their minds on PROP Rep or bust, then I know the idea could be re-ignited quickly.

I really want a ranked ballot reform and not just change for changes sake.

bingo-tarantino.gif

NDP needs get over it and do the right thing (and push the Libs to do so). It still likely ensures they get more seats, and gives Canadians a more representative government.