Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I keep seeing people say that Canada doesn't have free speech. Could you explain it to me? As an American I understand our right of free speech, but am unfamiliar with Canada's. 

I think perhaps this is where this particular disconnect is happening; people having differing versions of what constitutes free speech.

It arises from the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that forms the basis of the Canadian Constitution.  There is freedom of thought, belief, and expression, but no mention of freedom of speech.  Consequently, it's not a constitutional right in Canada.  That's where the disconnect is happening between those who are saying there's no freedom of speech (which is legally and technically correct) and those who claim there is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It arises from the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that forms the basis of the Canadian Constitution.  There is freedom of thought, belief, and expression, but no mention of freedom of speech.  Consequently, it's not a constitutional right in Canada.  That's where the disconnect is happening between those who are saying there's no freedom of speech (which is legally and technically correct) and those who claim there is.

Thanks! That gives me a better handle on where people are coming from. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How long do you really think we're going to have TV news, outlets and radio? Look to the future my friend just like they do in elementary school and they give iPads to all the kids now. 

No, no they dont

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, StrayDog said:

In a way, though - expression is both broader and narrower than speech.  So in some aspects, those who are claiming we have freedom of speech aren't entirely incorrect, but it's not legally or technically correct as a direct comparison.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, no they dont

Yes, yes they do! Please don't speak for all schools when you work in one school and God knows where the island I think you said. I very much have seen them and discuss them with my kids teachers starting from grade one. They had iPads in Calgary elementary schools! So before you suggest I'm wrong maybe do a little homework

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How long do you really think we're going to have TV news, outlets and radio? Look to the future my friend just like they do in elementary school and they give iPads to all the kids now. 

And why does it matter what form.the media takes?  It's still media at a level that reaches a huge death of people, I don't see why registering with the crtc is a bad thing.  Nor do I see how it restricts what they decide to broadcast......it's just registering as a media outlet 

Hockey Forum

New Hockey regs for kids under 18

Base layer clothing worn under hockey gear.  Now must be taken on or off at home or in a bathroom stall.    HC trying to be inclusive. 

Not sure how i feel about this as i have spent most of my life in a out of dressing rooms playing hockey as a kid to old timers......

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Yes, yes they do! Please don't speak for all schools when you work in one school and God knows where the island I think you said. I very much have seen them and discuss them with my kids teachers starting from grade one. They had iPads in Calgary elementary schools! So before you suggest I'm wrong maybe do a little homework

Are you mansplaining my career to me?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In a way, though - expression is both broader and narrower than speech.  So in some aspects, those who are claiming we have freedom of speech aren't entirely incorrect, but it's not legally or technically correct as a direct comparison.

This is just it for all intents and purposes. There is free speech holding somebody criminally responsible for hate speech seems like the logical way to go to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

And why does it matter what form.the media takes?  It's still media at a level that reaches a huge death of people, I don't see why registering with the crtc is a bad thing.  Nor do I see how it restricts what they decide to broadcast......it's just registering as a media outlet 

Because the government can clearly reject them, that's the issue. It's similar to Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, China, Russia in present day.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

3 teachers in my family all in primary education.   Each of them has 2-3 ipads provided to their rooms.  Various ages of  ipads that have educational software installed on the ipad by the district IT department.  No computers in their rooms  though...  Nothing burger here .  Next. 

Edited by moosehead
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, moosehead said:

3 teacher in my family all in primary education.   Each of them has 2-3 ipads provided to their rooms.  Various ages or ipads that have educational software installed on the ipad by the district IT department.  Nothing burger hear.  Next. 

I never said it was a something burger. I just pointed out that they are in schools and it's the way of the future as was told to me by my daughter's grade one teacher so for @stawns to tell me that it's not happening. I appreciate you reaffirming that you know this is as well

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm telling you exactly what is happening and you are denying it. So I would suggest you are lying about your career or you aren't very informed on it.

You're telling a teacher of 17 years exactly what is happening in schools based on what your daughter in grade 1 is saying?  Sorry, your daughters grade 1 teacher. 

There is zero chance every kid in your daughter's school has an ipad

Now I'm lying about my career?  Keep digging hombre

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I would note I think what he's also trying to tell you is that speech is a big part of expression, right? So sadly there has actually been cases of blatant racism and no charges laid because hate speech hasn't been prosecuted near as much as it should be in this nation.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You're telling a teacher of 17 years exactly what is happening in schools based on what your daughter in grade 1 is saying?

Now I'm lying about my career?  Keep digging hombre

Nope, I'm telling you exactly what I've witnessed first had in parent teacher interviews and you also had another member point out that yes in fact there are iPads in elementary classes so you can keep denying it but you have multiple people telling you now. I'm not digging nothing. I'm still waiting for you to retract wishing death upon people you don't like

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@moosehead and given that Alberta invests a lot more in education, it probably explains why they had more than two or three iPads. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. At first I thought it was but when the teacher explained it to me that it's the way of the future. It does make a bit of sense whether I agree or disagree.

Schools/ education is indeed changing.

Every highschool in my town now has replaced the library with a Learning Commons.    Way less books.    Computers now and work space for students to collaborate.

Do i agree with all of this...   well i have mixed feelings... I love books.  

Edited by moosehead
  • Cheers 1

Just now, moosehead said:

Schools/ education is indeed changing.

Every highschool in my town now has replaced the library with a Learning Commons.    Way less books.    Computers now and work space for students to collaborate.

Do i agree with all of this...   well i have mixed feelings... I love books.  

Yeah so that was my feeling honestly a few years ago when this took place. I just thought you know it isn't right but my daughter's teacher did a wonderful job and explaining it to me and that they need to set the kids up for the future so it does make sense.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Because the government can clearly reject them, that's the issue. It's similar to Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, China, Russia in present day.

How is it different than the classic crtc restrictions?

I was a drummer in a hardcore/metal band a lifetime ago. We had a major label deal, we had to concern ourselves with appropriate lyrics for our record release.

Around the same time, the first Marilyn Manson album was banned in Canada ( and some retailers in the states from what I can remember). Calgary even blocked a show for MM around that time. I took him out in Vancouver when they toured with NIN and he was bitching about it. 

Isn't this new law just an extension to include online stuff?

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is just it for all intents and purposes. There is free speech holding somebody criminally responsible for hate speech seems like the logical way to go to me.

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm telling you exactly what is happening and you are denying it. So I would suggest you are lying about your career or you aren't very informed on it.

Or maybe, just maybe you don’t know everything.. show some respect to your fellow posters!! The way you talk to people shows little social skills 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How is it different than the classic crtc restrictions?

I was a drummer in a hardcore/metal band a lifetime ago. We had a major label deal, we had to concern ourselves with appropriate lyrics for our record release.

Around the same time, the first Marilyn Manson album was banned in Canada ( and some retailers in the states from what I can remember). Calgary even blocked a show for MM around that time. I took him out in Vancouver when they toured with NIN and he was bitching about it. 

Isn't this new law just an extension to include online stuff?

So which other country is taking these same measures? Let's look to our allies first.

If you guys disagree that's fine. I don't share your enthusiasm for this but I mean we shouldn't be saying it's nothing and defending it because it certainly is something

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope, I'm telling you exactly what I've witnessed first had in parent teacher interviews and you also had another member point out that yes in fact there are iPads in elementary classes so you can keep denying it but you have multiple people telling you now. I'm not digging nothing. I'm still waiting for you to retract wishing death upon people you don't like

You literally said “every kid gets an I pad.. and others are telling you that’s incorrect 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1