Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

29 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Give Ryan a. DT...... or make him write lines......  LOL

Yes, i expect many districts  and even schools within districts have a big discrepency in access to technology in classrooms. 

My wife is a retired teacher that worked in the VSB (Vancouver School Board), that experienced this first hand. All the schools on the West Side of the City, had huge advantages over the schools in East Vancouver. Her school was an Annex that relied on second hand computers, whereas corporations or wealthy donors would donate money to buy PC's, or other equipment for their kids schools. Fundraising in her school was basically non existent. I never knew how much of her paycheck went to buying supplies etc. for her kids. 

43 minutes ago, moosehead said:

My experience is 2-3 ipads per room - sometimes kids use them to take photos of their work and post  online in learning portfolios.......... which parents can view from home. 

We have 5 iPads per class in primary and in class intermediate, we share 28 Chromebooks between 3 classes......almost 90 kids.

Giving every kid in your school an.ioad would cost upwards of$300-500k.  That's not happening 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is just it for all intents and purposes. There is free speech holding somebody criminally responsible for hate speech seems like the logical way to go to me.

Restriction of one form of speech does not imply or mean freedom of other forms of speech.  The government can technically still restrict or censor speech within the constitutional limits of freedom of expression.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

My wife is a retired teacher that worked in the VSB (Vancouver School Board), that experienced this first hand. All the schools on the West Side of the City, had huge advantages over the schools in East Vancouver. Her school was an Annex that relied on second hand computers, whereas corporations or wealthy donors would donate money to buy PC's, or other equipment for their kids schools. Fundraising in her school was basically non existent. I never knew how much of her paycheck went to buying supplies etc. for her kids. 

I never actually knew this. I always kind of thought the province  looked after making sure there was equal learning throughout it's schools.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

We have 5 iPads per class in primary and in class intermediate, we share 28 Chromebooks between 3 classes......almost 90 kids.

Giving every kid in your school an.ioad would cost upwards of$300-500k.  That's not happening 

Okay so now you admit they do have iPads. I don't even know why you respond to me sometimes man you keep changing things. Almost like you forget you said it. But then again I have two kids and sometimes I find that a challenge. So who knows. Maybe having 30 or so causes you to forget where your brain is lol.

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Is the Manitoba Election on topic? NDP oust the PC's if not reported.

Very much on topic. I felt because of the historic event. Maybe it should have its own thread but sharpshooter said it's good for now. Was quite a historic day yesterday.

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Restriction of one form of speech does not imply or mean freedom of other forms of speech.  The government can technically still restrict or censor speech within the constitutional limits of freedom of expression.

Unless I'm missing something I feel like we are saying the same thing

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Because sometimes I like to know what someone's personal preferences on it rather than you know as war hippie says well Tell me how this is different when all you're asking is what his opinion is. I see a lot of I don't like Trudeau but this is why he's good. This is why I support this but I don't like the guy lol. I mean it's a back door way of saying I support his policies just come out and say it. I don't support this kind of overreach. Because who decides hate speech or who decides what's okay? We see political parties push the envelope all the time but for some reason they're not held accountable. Why? Because in the house of commons you can get away with things you can't get away with outside the house of commons. If it violates Canadian law sure it should be taken down. But then again, I imagine that it would be taken down without even violating Canadian law. For example, rebel Media doesn't violate Canadian law. However, we seen the leader of the NDP flat out not take questions from them and Trudeau not even answer their questions. Again, the question I have is simple. What other countries do this?

I dont know what regulations other countries have. The states might have something as I reference MM being banned and the advisory warnings for music, movies and eventually video games.

In that sense I dont see the big deal, there should be some regulatory body or anything could fly, no?

I have seen other countries politicians refuse questions from certain media... I'm pretty sure that famous ex-potus was all about that.

My boy Jag is alright. Don't know what he has against Rebel. I know I think lowly of that 'news' company. I heard a long interview on the radio by one of their ex-employees. He said that they focus on stimulation of the divide, look for hot topic stories to enrage the public. He joked about the idea of not letting facts get in the way of a good story. The co-founder also left due to association with some unsavoury groups.

I know this, my nephew-in-law is an ex-logger. He gets all his news from the Western Producer and Rebel. I have seen him go from a happy young dad to an old man that yells at clouds. I dont work with him anymore, too much moaning. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

How long do you really think we're going to have TV news, outlets and radio? Look to the future my friend just like they do in elementary school and they give iPads to all the kids now. 

Please don't speak for all the schools, when you and you kids don't go to all the schools.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Unless I'm missing something I feel like we are saying the same thing

Except we're not.  You're conflating freedom of speech (ie, as a protected right under the constitution, which we don't have) with freedom of expression, which is guaranteed under the constitution.  We're not Americans.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont know what regulations other countries have. The states might have something as I reference MM being banned and the advisory warnings for music, movies and eventually video games.

In that sense I dont see the big deal, there should be some regulatory body or anything could fly, no?

I have seen other countries politicians refuse questions from certain media... I'm pretty sure that famous ex-potus was all about that.

My boy Jag is alright. Don't know what he has against Rebel. I know I think lowly of that 'news' company. I heard a long interview on the radio by one of their ex-employees. He said that they focus on stimulation of the divide, look for hot topic stories to enrage the public. He joked about the idea of not letting facts get in the way of a good story. The co-founder also left due to association with some unsavoury groups.

I know this, my nephew-in-law is an ex-logger. He gets all his news from the Western Producer and Rebel. I have seen him go from a happy young dad to an old man that yells at clouds. I dont work with him anymore, too much moaning. 

So I think we remember what everybody said about Trump not answering those questions, right? As far as Jag goes, I mean I can understand wholeheartedly while he doesn't like rebel media, but at the same time if you're in his position, you are supposed to be transparent with the media. Otherwise, you're saying following Trump's footsteps is the way to go or should we be better?

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Please don't speak for all the schools, when you and you kids don't go to all the schools.

Then by the same logic, please get your cohorts not to speak for all schools. I don't see you doing that, boss! They have now admitted that they have iPads in that school so your little late to the party fella.

What exactly are you and a couple others even adding to this thread? Stay on topic. You're not adding nothing. In fact, I only said that to show how society's moving towards the future. Some of you guys just come on here to argue points that aren't even being made and the irony is it's off topic just stop. Fill your time better. Lol

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except we're not.  You're conflating freedom of speech (ie, as a protected right under the constitution, which we don't have) with freedom of expression, which is guaranteed under the constitution.  We're not Americans.

Nope, I don't think that's what I'm doing at all. I mean sure by the correct term there is no freedom of speech but again there is freedom of speech. However, you don't have freedom of hate speech which I think we can all support or I would hope at least. And again why they've had trouble prosecuting a lot because expression and speech are very similar. I never said we are Americans. I know you have a lot of American friends. The Trump thread was about what 11,000 pages.

Edited by Ryan Strome

So I think we remember what everybody said about Trump not answering those questions, right? As far as Jag goes, I mean I can understand wholeheartedly while he doesn't like rebel media, but at the same time if you're in his position, you are supposed to be transparent with the media. Otherwise, you're saying following Trump's footsteps is the way to go or should we be better?

Then by the same logic, please get your cohorts not to speak for all schools. I don't see you doing that, boss! They have now admitted that they have iPads in that school so your little late to the party fella.

Nope, I don't think that's what I'm doing at all. I mean sure by the correct term there is no freedom of speech but again there is freedom of speech. However, you don't have freedom of hate speech which I think we can all support or I would hope at least. And again why they've had trouble prosecuting a lot because expression and speech are very similar. I never said we are Americans. I know you have a lot of American friends. The Trump thread was about what 11,000 pages.

image.png.6ef9aea8453cc287f9883b8e404bcdbc.png

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Every elected official should answer questions to all that have credentials .  

So, do you think that the CRTC should have a say in online mass streaming ( over 10mil) platforms? 

Edited by bishopshodan

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Every elected official should answer questions to all that have credentials . 

Oh so who decides the credentials? Because I mean rebel was allowed to be there. A judge said so! It was the liberals and NDP who wanted to restrict these people but our judges disagreed.

• Haha 1

Just now, Gurn said:

You spoke about all kids, then get upset because you think people were talking about all schools.

Hypocrisy- look it up.

Not staying on topic. Look it up. Again, that member has pointed out that there are in fact iPads in his schools. Spend your time a little more wisely Gurn 

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh so who decides the credentials? Because I mean rebel was allowed to be there. A judge said so! It was the liberals and NDP who wanted to restrict these people but our judges disagreed.

We have someone here shilling for Rebel News?  I had no idea they're still a thing.

• Cheers 1

Slow down my friend.

I am agreeing with you.

Jag should give Rebel an answer or two if they have credetials to be at the presser. Who decides the credentials? I dont know but I would support a wide landscape of political media. 

That said, some companies become trolls and sooner or later should be removed in favour of companies trying to do an honest job.

If you watch UFC Dana White, who idolises Trump, is trying the same thing to media. He even is doing a doc about how he has been poorly treated. His whines are being recieved as well as his slapfight league. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I never actually knew this. I always kind of thought the province  looked after making sure there was equal learning throughout it's schools.

Okay so now you admit they do have iPads. I don't even know why you respond to me sometimes man you keep changing things. Almost like you forget you said it. But then again I have two kids and sometimes I find that a challenge. So who knows. Maybe having 30 or so causes you to forget where your brain is lol.

Very much on topic. I felt because of the historic event. Maybe it should have its own thread but sharpshooter said it's good for now. Was quite a historic day yesterday.

Wtf are you talking about.  You said every kid.  I never said we didn't have iPads or any other device.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Not staying on topic. Look it up. Again, that member has pointed out that there are in fact iPads in his schools. Spend your time a little more wisely Gurn 

Note- you said "all kids"

So please don't speak for "all kids" then get annoyed because you say people are talking about "all schools".

PS my time is my own, to do as I choose, freedom lovers would understand that, but a limitarian, such as your self, seem to have trouble with the concept.

• ThereItIs 2

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

In response to my post, most schools do their own fundraising for extras. The curriculum is the same for all schools, except my wife taught cursive writing. All the extras when she taught were up to the schools to fund, as far as I knew. The first computers in her Annex were from a private business that donated them. Of course the VSB, had IT people set them up.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think, while it's commendable to strive for equality and we absolutely should be doing that, realistically there's no way currently things are going to be equal. You have multiple school districts with sometimes different needs. Then, within that, you have multiple schools within each school district also with different needs.

I remember back when I was in elementary school, there were people in Victoria wanting to set a limit on school buses. I happened to be in an area where that would have been disastrous as it would have forced people like me to have to walk around 7km one way down a relatively busy road with no sidewalk. Imagine being 10 years old having to do that. Yet, there were people in Victoria trying to enact laws like that. I'm sure those laws would have worked in Victoria (...maybe?) but up here that would have been terrible.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1