Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Rook said:

Proof is in the pudding, pudding 

Yeah so you got nothing hey cupcake. Are you actually going to add anything to the conversation that actually stays with the forum rules? Or you just going to keep derailing threads with comments that have nothing to do with Canadian politics?

• Haha 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

@Rook honestly, I don't even know why you were following me around to comment on anything except for the topic of the thread like get lost man or woman or whatever you are. I apologize. But seriously, you're getting annoying. I'm a pretty patient person, but honestly you are annoying as hell.

Following you around? You mean reading the same forum posts, discussing topics with the same group of people that I’ve done for months? Sorry bud I’ve been at the adults table contributing while you were banned.  Back to the thread at hand 😘 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This has been touched on actually, but before you joined up I'd imagine 

I think there's an appetite for a progressive Conservative party in Canada, the current iteration seems to be emulating the US too much 

A lot of folks who lean right probably don't lean far right, Canada has historically leaned left and realistically that probably applies to a good chunk of Canada's right 

Right but left leaning right results in folks being closer to the center, which I think is probably better for Canada's right anyway, and the country 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I would be for it if this comes to fruition to be honest. That being said, I would need to see something more tangible first; however, I do think such a party could, at the very least, take a bite out of both the Liberals and the Conservatives if it proves true that people like me are the majority.

Yes, I'm interested in learning more myself as more comes available from the party. I'm not sure if you are overly familiar with Alberta politics but there was a party here. Actually. They are still here. They just have no seats called the Alberta party and they were considered the center party which admittedly for Alberta is going to put you on the right anyways cuz the NDP is pretty much the center party out here. But the thing about the Alberta party is they were actually gaining some steam. It was only when Alberta became a left versus right. Did people not want to split the vote anymore. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

This has been touched on actually, but before you joined up I'd imagine 

I think there's an appetite for a progressive Conservative party in Canada, the current iteration seems to be emulating the US too much 

A lot of folks who lean right probably don't lean far right, Canada has historically leaned left and realistically that probably applies to a good chunk of Canada's right 

Thanks for the update. I appreciate that. I would disagree with you though.As Has been covered Canada is not traditionally left Canada's traditionally center, which is traditionally what the liberal party of canada was. I believe that this new party wants to be what it actually says. It wants to be. They can actually take a lot of conservatives and a lot of liberals because we have as you say the progressive conservative type and we have lots of liberals who don't feel like they are liberals anymore because of what Trudeau and some of his gang have moved that party towards. At least that's my view on it all.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I would be for it if this comes to fruition to be honest. That being said, I would need to see something more tangible first; however, I do think such a party could, at the very least, take a bite out of both the Liberals and the Conservatives if it proves true that people like me are the majority.

Not sure if you saw @Warhippydiscussing the “little C” idea.  I had never heard it before but most of the folks I know align right along the centrist line.  Something’s gotta give.. this hole having to vote for someone you don’t care for, just to keep some other worse candidate out of power, is no way for us to progress as a nation

in 2021 :
29.9% of Canadians identified as being Catholic, about 11% attended a church service in the past year

12.3% of Canadians identified as being Protestant, about 5% attended a church service in the past year

34.6% of Canadians identified NO Religious Affiliation

(a further 12.1% identified anti-theist or athiest)

4.9% of Canadians identified as being Muslim, no number found for attended services in the past year

2.3% of Canadians identified as being Hindu, no number found for attended services in the past year

2.1% of Canadians identified as being Sikh, no number found for attended services in the past year

1% budhists

0.9% Jewish

about .5% other includiong pagan, personal faith, traditional spirituality et cetera

due to rounding the totals comes out to 100.6%, live with it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

in 2021 :
29.9% of Canadians identified as being Catholic, about 11% attended a church service in the past year

12.3% of Canadians identified as being Protestant, about 5% attended a church service in the past year

4.9% of Canadians identified as being Muslim, no number found for attended services in the past year

2.3% of Canadians identified as being Hindu, no number found for attended services in the past year

2.1% of Canadians identified as being Sikh, no number found for attended services in the past year

1% budhists

0.9% Jewish

about .5% other includiong pagan, personal faith, traditional spirituality et cetera

OP you are an under appreciated asset!! Thanks for keeping us in the know with the real figures!  👊 

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

When did I crap on anybody for disagreeing with me? Feel free to show me the evidence because the only one that I see between the two of us that is cropping on somebody and isn't even staying on topic is you. You need to go look in the mirror guy. You really aren't a very good person and you talk about how others are disrespectful. Go look in the mirror.

Bolded the answer for you.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Bolded the answer for you.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Are you saying I'm not a good person? Considering you have called hockey players Nazis and anybody that disagrees with you Nazis and people racist without any proof. I mean dirt meet sand right?

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I might comment on your first paragraph if I could make any sense of it.

Admitedly my first paragraph was a bit confusing, I said "maybe if endless deficits will be the way forward and we can all just go work for the government.  No need to be a responsbile citizen engaged in community, let the goverment take care of it".  

I'm talking about fiscal policy and a lot of people are concerned about a potential fiat and debt spiral crisis (the US just increased debt by 275 billion in one day now at 33.442 trillion).  I mean if this can just go on forever, we can all just let Governments print and borrow money and we can all just go work for the the government and hopefully get paid really good wages to keep up to the inflation.

6 minutes ago, Rook said:

Not sure if you saw @Warhippydiscussing the “little C” idea.  I had never heard it before but most of the folks I know align right along the centrist line.  Something’s gotta give.. this hole having to vote for someone you don’t care for, just to keep some other worse candidate out of power, is no way for us to progress as a nation

Yeah I agree. I think there needs to be more of a balance. Historically, there kinda sorta has been with the power going back and forth between the Liberals and Conservatives; however, with the PPC taking out chunks of the Conservatives, I find it hard to see the Liberals being kept in check for the foreseeable future; especially, if all they have to do is work with the NDP to make up a "majority". While this is great for some things in the form of progress, it's not great if there becomes too much "progress" too fast if that makes sense.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, Future Considerations said:

Admitedly my first paragraph was a bit confusing, I said "maybe if endless deficits will be the way forward and we can all just go work for the government.  No need to be a responsbile citizen engaged in community, let the goverment take care of it".  

I'm talking about fiscal policy and a lot of people are concerned about a potential fiat and debt spiral crisis (the US just increased debt by 275 billion in one day now at 33.442 trillion).  I mean if this can just go on forever, we can all just let Governments print and borrow money and we can all just go work for the the government and hopefully get paid really good wages to keep up to ages to keep up to 

I mean to be honest it works pretty good for those of us that have investments in real estate. But I feel bad for my kids and other people's kids that will never ever be able to buy a house

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Are you saying I'm not a good person? Considering you have called hockey players Nazis and anybody that disagrees with you Nazis and people racist without any proof. I mean dirt meet sand right?

I'm saying that that's where you're crapping on another poster for disagreeing with you.  Note that while we disagree on pretty much everything, I haven't directed a single personal insult towards you.

Just now, Rook said:

OP you are an under appreciated asset!! Thanks for keeping us in the know with the real figures!  👊 

Lol, thanks. I just happen to wear a lot of hats with my free time and belong to a group of Secular Humanists. I have helped fund things like "You can Be Good Without God" ads on busses, that you may remember some districts with a heavy right political leaning refused to allow on their busses, made the news once or twice. 

I donate extensively to my favorite charity Habitat For Humanity and helped to edge them away from religion here in Canada over my involved years. I encourage anyone looking to make a tax deductible donation to consider their local Habitat for Humanity team: you can even donate your garage sale items which they will sell for you and give you a tax receipt for whatever they sell for! Make a difference! I did. Victoria HFH has built 34 houses since 1990 for familiies in need which is a generational hand UP for those familiesl Lifts them out of poverty instead of perpetually keeping them impoverished a la the Mother Theresa model. 

I don't mean to come off as a know it all, I just avoided this thread in the CDC forums as back 20 years ago it was just endless name calling and ban hammer bait. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm saying that that's where you're crapping on another poster for disagreeing with you.  Note that while we disagree on pretty much everything, I haven't directed a single personal insult towards you.

Yeah and I can appreciate that. But when you post stuff like you just did you actually are crapping on me. And in fact, that's what your purpose is in my opinion. How on earth did me telling him he isn't a good person for following me around and attacking me while not even discussing the topics at hand. I don't even know the guy I have a feeling I know exactly who he is from years back but I could be wrong. If he can show you proof of where I attacked anybody without defending myself just to talking, I will tell you right now. I will apologize for it cuz that's not generally how I roll. I agree with you. I believe we are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum, but I can have a conversation with you. I just don't know if I want to tell you that I think the maple leaves have a decent defense.lol

• Haha 2

Thanks for the update. I appreciate that. I would disagree with you though.As Has been covered Canada is not traditionally left Canada's traditionally center, which is traditionally what the liberal party of canada was. I believe that this new party wants to be what it actually says. It wants to be. They can actually take a lot of conservatives and a lot of liberals because we have as you say the progressive conservative type and we have lots of liberals who don't feel like they are liberals anymore because of what Trudeau and some of his gang have moved that party towards. At least that's my view on it all.

Alright, not left, but left leaning center. The liberals as it stands are closest to the center whereas the cons have swung too far right imo, at least for a lot of folks taste. The issue with the cons being what they are is it either alienates those who lean more center right, pushes them to vote for the cons anyway regardless of any disagreements they may have with the party at present, or pushes them to vote liberal. 

The liberals have the NDP who are further left and they do work together at times, the cons would do well to have a party that's closer to the center. The tricky thing is getting any new progressive conservative party to gain traction. If nothing else it'd be nice to have a right party more willing to work with the liberals on progressive matters. 

The liberals need a new leader, if only because it'd remove a the figurehead folks bash their heads against, the tricky question is who and when? If the Cons win the next election it could be in part to Trudeau simply being a factor, take him out of the picture and there's less mudslinging ammunition. There's also a tendency for things to swing the other way after a party has been in power for a while, change for the sake of change sometimes, removing a much maligned figurehead could potentially mitigate this factor a bit. 

A new conservative party taking bites out of both the liberals and the conservatives would be great, if only because it'd likely result in fewer majority governments. I could be mistaken, I don't dig deep into politics the way some folks here do, but don't minority governments generally have better results as it forces both sides to work together more?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't really want to chime in much here but I'm going to try and give a bit of insight, only to help.

Think about how you've responded to me and compare it to how you've responded to someone like King Heffy or Rook. Try responding to others like how you've responded to me. See where that gets you.

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

I'm talking about fiscal policy and a lot of people are concerned about a potential fiat and debt spiral crisis (the US just increased debt by 275 billion in one day now at 33.442 trillion).  I mean if this can just go on forever, we can all just let Governments print and borrow money and we can all just go work for the the government and hopefully get paid really good wages to keep up to the inflation.

I had just walked back to the computer to to reach out to you.  I had realized that my comment was snide, snippy, sanctimonious or all three at once.  My apologies.

I also share your worries over rising debt.  

Edited by Satchmo
typos never end
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

in 2021 :

1% budhists

0.9% Jewish

It'll be interesting to see how this changes as immigration continues to supplement Canada's declining birth rates 

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I mean to be honest it works pretty good for those of us that have investments in real estate. But I feel bad for my kids and other people's kids that will never ever be able to buy a house

If currency is devaluing, you probably want a bunch of your money in Canada's real estate gold, but high interest rates are bringing prices lower and further limiting buyer entry into the market.

Affordable housing and affordable home ownership are not the same thing.  Government is in the way of both.  It's not really about inflation, they need higher interest rates to protect the currency they keep printing.   All the workers and red tape at city hall was already doing a good job of limiting housing starts, higher interest rates have most builders on the sidelines these days.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Alright, not left, but left leaning center. The liberals as it stands are closest to the center whereas the cons have swung too far right imo, at least for a lot of folks taste. The issue with the cons being what they are is it either alienates those who lean more center right, pushes them to vote for the cons anyway regardless of any disagreements they may have with the party at present, or pushes them to vote liberal. 

The liberals have the NDP who are further left and they do work together at times, the cons would do well to have a party that's closer to the center. The tricky thing is getting any new progressive conservative party to gain traction. If nothing else it'd be nice to have a right party more willing to work with the liberals on progressive matters. 

The liberals need a new leader, if only because it'd remove a the figurehead folks bash their heads against, the tricky question is who and when? If the Cons win the next election it could be in part to Trudeau simply being a factor, take him out of the picture and there's less mudslinging ammunition. There's also a tendency for things to swing the other way after a party has been in power for a while, change for the sake of change sometimes, removing a much maligned figurehead could potentially mitigate this factor a bit. 

A new conservative party taking bites out of both the liberals and the conservatives would be great, if only because it'd likely result in fewer majority governments. I could be mistaken, I don't dig deep into politics the way some folks here do, but don't minority governments generally have better results as it forces both sides to work together more?

Well I think this is a great post. I'm just curious to know what do you think it is about the conservative party that is so right wing and bad and terrible and going to ruin the country? Keep in mind I haven't voted for them in some time. So it's not as if you will be offending me. I've been busy spoiling ballots voting for the libertarian candidate in my riding.

I don't really want to chime in much here but I'm going to try and give a bit of insight, only to help.

Think about how you've responded to me and compare it to how you've responded to someone like King Heffy or Rook. Try responding to others like how you've responded to me. See where that gets you.

So as far as heffy goes I have been responding to him and respectful way even though we disagree. I do apologize to him although I have made it clear. I don't like him throwing Nazi around to people that do not deserve it. As for Rook I have had no conversations with him at all. He just came in and attacked me a few pages back. Kind of like Joey. There is some here that hate anything that isn't left wing kind of like Stawns. Generally speaking, I try to talk to everybody the way that I talk to you. Because let's be honest, I live in Alberta though. I'm from British Columbia and I vote in a way that is not necessarily how BCers these days vote.

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I had just walked back to the computer to to reach out to you.  I had realized that my comment was snide, snippy, sanctimonious or all three at once.  My apologies.

I also share your worries over rising debt.  

Meanwhile, I think you just told us how you don't like that lol. Props for calling yourself out haha.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It'll be interesting to see how this changes as immigration continues to supplement Canada's declining birth rates 

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking as well. But I'd also need to know if religion as a whole is falling globally or just in the western world.

Just now, Future Considerations said:

If currency is devaluing, you probably want a bunch of your money in Canada's real estate gold, but high interest rates are bringing prices lower and further limiting buyer entry into the market.

Affordable housing and affordable home ownership are not the same thing.  Government is in the way of both.  It's not really about inflation, they need higher interest rates to protect the currency they keep printing.   All the workers and red tape at city hall was already doing a good job of limiting housing starts, higher interest rates have most builders on the sidelines these days.  

Oh I agree with you. I was actually being a smartass. Real estate prices are still up where I'm at but Alberta has actually been experiencing the most and fastest growth in its history. At this rate we will probably take over British Columbia and population within a decade. I mean, I believe most of the immigrants come into Alberta are from British Columbia lol.

So as far as heffy goes I have been responding to him and respectful way even though we disagree. I do apologize to him although I have made it clear. I don't like him throwing Nazi around to people that do not deserve it. As for Rook I have had no conversations with him at all. He just came in and attacked me a few pages back. Kind of like Joey. There is some here that hate anything that isn't left wing kind of like Stawns. Generally speaking, I try to talk to everybody the way that I talk to you. Because let's be honest, I live in Alberta though. I'm from British Columbia and I vote in a way that is not necessarily how BCers these days vote.

Like I said, I'm going to stay out of this for the most part. If you want me to analyze how I've read your posts to show where you might have not sounded as respectful as you think and why, I can; however, I'd prefer to hide and prowl in the shadows with debates like these.

• Haha 1

Like I said, I'm going to stay out of this for the most part. If you want me to analyze how I've read your posts to show where you might have not sounded as respectful as you think and why, I can; however, I'd prefer to hide and prowl in the shadows with debates like these.

Oh I'm a big boy if you feel you want to giver. I will say if I'm being shown disrespect I don't need to show any respect out of just being the bigger man so to speak. Also, if somebody disagrees with my opinion, go ahead and share it with me. But if you attack me for it, don't assume that I shouldn't attack back right. But anyways, being a middle-aged man who knows if I'll actually change. And I don't want to derail this thread anymore. We've actually had some pretty big news in the last couple days in this country and for whatever reason we're attacking each other. I've seen very few people talk about what's even happened in Manitoba and I think that's monumental news for this nation.