Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I agree. I think there needs to be more of a balance. Historically, there kinda sorta has been with the power going back and forth between the Liberals and Conservatives; however, with the PPC taking out chunks of the Conservatives, I find it hard to see the Liberals being kept in check for the foreseeable future; especially, if all they have to do is work with the NDP to make up a "majority". While this is great for some things in the form of progress, it's not great if there becomes too much "progress" too fast if that makes sense.

In business we’ve always said, there’s such a thing as too big too fast. I agree it applies here too!  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I had just walked back to the computer to to reach out to you.  I had realized that my comment was snide, snippy, sanctimonious or all three at once.  My apologies.

I also share your worries over rising debt.  

all good, I appreciated your response and this one.    

Maybe this thread isn't that bad afterall, a bunch of still free individual citizens talking politics in a relatively civil manner.   In general, I'm for smaller less expensive governments and for politics/governments to operate in a more harmonious manner it should be involved in fewer things. 

I think for politics to be more harmonious it should be involved in fewer things.  
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Future Considerations said:

all good, I appreciated your response and this one.    

Maybe this thread isn't that bad afterall, a bunch of still free individual citizens talking politics in a relatively civil manner.   In general, I'm for smaller less expensive governments and for politics/governments to operate in a more harmonious manner it should be involved in fewer things. 

I think for politics to be more harmonious it should be involved in fewer things.  

Yeah the problem is we don't have a federal party anymore that believes in small government. The liberals believe in a government that is centralized to Ottawa. The conservatives say they believe in a government that gives people more freedom, but meanwhile they want it centralized to Ottawa and clearly the NDP is a centralized to Ottawa government if they could ever make it. About what you are suggesting is exactly what I would like myself.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh I'm a big boy if you feel you want to giver. I will say if I'm being shown disrespect I don't need to show any respect out of just being the bigger man so to speak. Also, if somebody disagrees with my opinion, go ahead and share it with me. But if you attack me for it, don't assume that I shouldn't attack back right. But anyways, being a middle-aged man who knows if I'll actually change. And I don't want to derail this thread anymore. We've actually had some pretty big news in the last couple days in this country and for whatever reason we're attacking each other. I've seen very few people talk about what's even happened in Manitoba and I think that's monumental news for this nation.

I don't really care for "giving it" unless if the other person's wanting to actually get someone else's insight to better themselves. I will say however that, if you want to convince others of your side, respect is a huge part of that.

So it's fine if this is your stance, so long as you don't care to convince anyone of your side.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Thank you.   BTW, it is snide and snippy comments like these that make me feel sanctimonious.

Hey friend, I believe it's your perception of it all. I had a big smile on my face because you are just Saturday and then corrected yourself I thought it was funny as fu*k! I actually thought you were doing it for humour purposes. It made me laugh anyways. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't really care for "giving it" unless if the other person's wanting to actually get someone else's insight to better themselves. I will say however that, if you want to convince others of your side, respect is a huge part of that.

So it's fine if this is your stance, so as you don't care to convince anyone of your side.

Well I don't really need to convince anybody of anything. I'm not trying to change anybody's point of view. If somebody comes and says to me hey I need help politically what do you think the best route is to go? I will ask them what their situation is in life and what they're looking to get out of their government and what they think is important for them and then tell them to figure it out themselves based off party positions. Just so we are clear, my wife votes for the green party and she has ever since she's been old enough to vote. We have been married for a pretty long time..

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hey friend, I believe it's your perception of it all. I had a big smile on my face because you are just Saturday and then corrected yourself I thought it was funny as fu*k! I actually thought you were doing it for humour purposes. It made me laugh anyways. 

Who are you calling Saturday?   I don't mind being called a radical left wing pinko but bringing in the days of the week crosses the line.

• Haha 2

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Well I don't really need to convince anybody of anything. I'm not trying to change anybody's point of view. If somebody comes and says to me hey I need help politically what do you think the best route is to go? I will ask them what their situation is in life and what they're looking to get out of their government and what they think is important for them and then tell them to figure it out themselves. Just so we are clear, my wife votes for the green party and she has ever since she's been old enough to vote. We have been married for a pretty long time..

It sounds  like you know where I'm coming from and what I'm implying with all this anyway. It's good to see politics isn't what fully drives your marriage. That should never be the case anyway. lol

Just now, Satchmo said:

Who are you calling Saturday?   I don't mind being called a radical left wing pinko but bringing in the days of the week crosses the line.

What if he told you this on a Tuesday? Would that have been better?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah the problem is we don't have a federal party anymore that believes in small government. The liberals believe in a government that is centralized to Ottawa. The conservatives say they believe in a government that gives people more freedom, but meanwhile they want it centralized to Ottawa and clearly the NDP is a centralized to Ottawa government if they could ever make it. About what you are suggesting is exactly what I would like myself.

At the heart of a man, same as at the heart of the instutution, just wants the continuance of what is.  

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well the prime minister use that incorrect term not too long ago. Anyways, I kind of feel like conversating with you is kind of pointless. I felt this way a few years ago, but I mean if we are essentially saying the same things but you don't like the wording. Is it really worth continuing?

Wasn't it your limitarian goddess high priestess grand poobah that wrote in "Atlas Shrugged" that "words have meaning"?  If you're unwilling to discern and understand the meaning behind the wording, it makes you no better than the moochers she so clearly abhors.

58 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

My bad bud. Talking into my phone and obviously something from the background got in there, I'm thinking anyways. Otherwise smoking a little too early in the day lol

58 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It sounds  like you know where I'm coming from and what I'm implying with all this anyway. It's good to see politics isn't what fully drives your marriage. That should never be the case anyway. lol

Oh, she won't listen to my right wing nonsense. Calls me barbaric..

47 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Wasn't it your limitarian goddess high priestess grand poobah that wrote in "Atlas Shrugged" that "words have meaning"?  If you're unwilling to discern and understand the meaning behind the wording, it makes you no better than the moochers she so clearly abhors.

Whoa whoa! I don't even know what I'm reading way above my pay grade!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It's not so much about ruining the country, that's subjective. It's a complicated thing. Some of my grievances have more to do with provincial level stuff, but some of that same provincial stuff is also happening under conservative led provincial governments. What's going on out in Nova Scotia regarding LGBTQ+ policy, what Ford's been trying to do with the green belt, the pushing of privatized healthcare as well. I do have concerns about Poilievre courting far right supporters and what the current conservative party would do with what remains of Canada's social safety net. A lot of it boils down to values, I am very pro-LGBTQ+, I lean much further left than liberal in general. I'm very much for having a sturdier, more comprehensive safety net paid for by tax dollars, a healthier medical system that isn't increasingly privatized, Indigenous revitalization, prioritizing Canada's most economically vulnerable and oppressed, ect. 

I'm not a fan of the US, I'm not really a fan of US politics as interesting as they can be, my concern is Canada's right emulating what's going on down south. For all the guff that happens along party lines the US doesn't even really have a left, the democrats are center right at best. My worry is the Canadian conservative party leaning more towards republican level right wing. I look at the number of anti-lgbtq+ bills that have been introduced this year alone and it worries me because there's been a lot of anti-lgbtq rhetoric up this way the past few years as well. On some level I fear the Americanization of Canadian politics because I very much don't want us to be what the US currently is.

Canada has historically emulated the US in a lot of ways despite managing to also be it's own thing, I'd rather there be more of a happy medium for those who want vote on the right side of the spectrum because of this. I lean left, I usually vote NDP but I'm also aware the NDP will probably never hold federal office so the country being balanced more towards the middle is the best I can probably hope for. 

I have voted for a libertarian candidate or some party with no chance in my riding since 2015 so I know all about voting for someone who will never make it. As for what you said I can respect your values and concerns. As far as your concerns go I can understand them but I don't think any party can be anti LGBTQ+ because imo Canadians wouldn't support that. I do feel like the media plays this card against the conservative party when in reality they have never done anything while in power federally to limit any rights to that community. I mean I live in Alberta and we have a government where people from other provinces, namely British Columbia attack the premier and call her some sort of barbaric crazy lunatic but the reality is she is done nothing to the hurt the LGBTQ community. In fact, she had somebody that won a significant victory north of Red deer who made disparaging comments about transgender community and she threw her out of the party. Made her sit as an independent I do believe. So sometimes it's just the media playing it up and creating division within this country in my opinion. For example, it was Trudeau that was against a woman's right to choose as he admitted he didn't support abortion yet I never heard the mainstream media in this country talk about it. I know there's going to be some that won't buy that excuse and think oh if it was true, the media would have talked about it and I know sometimes it's hard to explain to people that are more on the left that the media is very left leaning in this country, but it is in fact the case. But again, I appreciate you sharing those thoughts and concerns with me. Sounds like you put a lot of effort and thought into this.

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It'll be interesting to see how this changes as immigration continues to supplement Canada's declining birth rates 

Over the last 20 years it has already swung incredibly far towards, lets just say 'progressive thinking', and away from religion. I suspect the Muslim/Hindu/SIkh/Jewish/Other religions may grow a % or two each in the next 20 years, but generally, I see religion in decline in Canada as it is in the "Northern European Welfare States" to borrow from PM Harper. The trendline is certainly one where eventually practicing 'muslims' will outnumber practicing 'christians'. I put both in '.' as each has more than 20 various factions that disagree with each other under the main umbrella of that faith, sometimes to the point of murder. 

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Over the last 20 years it has already swung incredibly far towards, lets just say 'progressive thinking', and away from religion. I suspect the Muslim/Hindu/SIkh/Jewish/Other religions may grow a % or two each in the next 20 years, but generally, I see religion in decline in Canada as it is in the "Northern European Welfare States" to borrow from PM Harper. The trendline is certainly one where eventually practicing 'muslims' will outnumber practicing 'christians'. I put both in '.' as each has more than 20 various factions that disagree with each other under the main umbrella of that faith, sometimes to the point of murder. 

So that's with the assumption that the Muslim religion will continue to grow. So I asked this question earlier in the thread. Are other nations seeing a decline in religion like Western nations are? If that's the case, maybe in 20 years from now we see all religions declining in numbers?

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So that's with the assumption that the Muslim religion will continue to grow. So I asked this question earlier in the thread. Are other nations seeing a decline in religion like Western nations are? If that's the case, maybe in 20 years from now we see all religions declining in numbers?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48703377

Older article, but best info a quick Google popped up.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This would be from the muslim nations being among the fastest growing in terms of population. More kids born under muslim parents means more muslims.

Contrast that with christian nations. While some of the African christian nations would be growing, others, like in Europe, are on the decline.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well I don't really need to convince anybody of anything. I'm not trying to change anybody's point of view. If somebody comes and says to me hey I need help politically what do you think the best route is to go? I will ask them what their situation is in life and what they're looking to get out of their government and what they think is important for them and then tell them to figure it out themselves based off party positions. Just so we are clear, my wife votes for the green party and she has ever since she's been old enough to vote. We have been married for a pretty long time..

That's awesome about you and your wife.

Been married 29 years as of Oct 1.  My wife was a Mulroney fan when I met her.  Even though we are well off she has since changed her views especially since having a child.

We never talk politics at all...life passes you by if you focus one things that might drive a wedge.

PS.... I once voted for the Rhino party as I didn't like any candidates in my riding.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I think you'll also see children of Muslim immigrants in North America reject religion as well.