Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, bolt said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/governor-general-apologizes-for-order-of-canada-awarded-to-waffen-ss-member

Was it Rota's fault again?  Before celebrating a Nazi in Parliament, the Liberal's gave a different Nazi the most prestigious award in Canada.

The Liberals? :classic_huh:

AFAIK, Brian Mulroney was PM in 1987......:classic_unsure:

• Thanks 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/governor-general-apologizes-for-order-of-canada-awarded-to-waffen-ss-member

Was it Rota's fault again?  Before celebrating a Nazi in Parliament, the Liberal's gave a different Nazi the most prestigious award in Canada.

Who...was in charge in Canada in 1987 again?  How is he or was this an issue of the Liberals?  Sorry I am confused because my history shwos *checks notes* that the Mulroney CONSERVATIVES held a majority in 1987

In a statement, Rideau Hall said it regretted the award given to Peter Savaryn in 1987. Savaryn was Chancellor of the University of Alberta and President of the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta in the 1980s. He also served with the Waffen SS, a voluntary Nazi unit in Ukraine during the Second World War.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Who...was in charge in Canada in 1987 again?  How is he or was this an issue of the Liberals?  Sorry I am confused because my history shwos *checks notes* that the Mulroney CONSERVATIVES held a majority in 1987

In a statement, Rideau Hall said it regretted the award given to Peter Savaryn in 1987. Savaryn was Chancellor of the University of Alberta and President of the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta in the 1980s. He also served with the Waffen SS, a voluntary Nazi unit in Ukraine during the Second World War.

Apparently the guy was also chancellor of UofA and president of the PCP in Alberta in the 80s as well.. seems more than one organization/political party May have some explaining to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

Good for the Minister in charge for clamping down so harshly on that.  After finding out that the company in charge was pork barrelling the money something is being done immediately.  Smart move

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne released the third-party investigators’ final report on the agency, Sustainable Development Technology Canada, late Tuesday, following a series of questions to the ministry from The Globe and Mail.

He laid out a series of corrective actions SDTC’s board must

Mr. Champagne said in a statement that he takes the findings seriously. He issued a number of directives, including that SDTC temporarily halt funding of all new projects until corrective measures are taken by its board. He directed SDTC to ensure there is a clear, consistent and transparent process for declaring real or perceived conflicts of interest.

The board must make sure that all projects receive the same level of due diligence, and invite a ministry official to all meetings of directors and SDTC’s project review committee. The directives must be completed by Dec. 31, the minister said.

The ministry launched the investigation in April. It, the federal Auditor-General and the Privy Council Office had all received whistleblower complaints about SDTC last year. Some of the complaints alleged SDTC had made grants to startups and technology accelerators with ties to its own senior management, or to companies or technology accelerators that were ineligible because they were too established. The complainants also alleged a volatile workplace under Ms. Lawrence, marked by high staff turnover rates and stress-related leaves.

undertake to deal with contraventions of its contribution agreement with the government, a number of which are highlighted in the report. The agreement guides how SDTC distributes public money.

3 hours ago, bolt said:

2 hours ago, bolt said:

Maybe because we shouldn't honor Nazis???

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

41 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Apparently the guy was also chancellor of UofA and president of the PCP in Alberta in the 80s as well.. seems more than one organization/political party May have some explaining to do.

image.gif.44ca06495ba5b7b652be0d93a7f813d1.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Considering Canada brought in something like 2,000 Nazis after world war II, I think the government of the day so today is the liberals need to explain exactly why this happened. 

Wait till you find out about operation paper clip and the head of Nasa's space program after WWII. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

https://globalnews.ca/news/10004970/majidpour-probation-breach-release-repeat-offender/

30 prior convictions. Released. 

Goes out on a September day: commits assault with a weapon in the morning, and sets a car on fire later that day.  Released

Why are politicians scared to change the rules and lock serious re-offenders up?

Serious crime is getting worse...

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10004970/majidpour-probation-breach-release-repeat-offender/

Goes out on a September day: commits assault with a weapon in the morning, and sets a car on fire later that day.  Released

Why are politicians scared to change the rules and lock serious re-offenders up?

So sad.  😞

24 minutes ago, bolt said:

Society needs to be more inclusive… including towards criminals… sad. I think a lot of it has to do with being afraid if sentencing guidelines are more strict then proportional representation in jails wont improve.. but idk the true reason. Its ridiculous how soft on violent crime our judicial system is

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Things were much harder to uncover on 1986

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Things were much harder to uncover on 1986

100%

Who knew that history was messy.  

Checks notes

Anyone who even remotely studies history.

A lot of stuff was easier to hide in the past.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• Upvote 1

The 5 major grocers in Canada.

That own literally everything related to food distribution in our nation.  They have raked in profits never seen in the grocery sector over the past 2.5 years and now all of a sudden have the ability to price math, offer deeper discounts and in fact lower prices.  But the entire time they said it was out of their control.

We need more competition in this nation and to stop pretending like we aren't owned by a small handful of corporations in every sector

The five largest grocery chains have delivered plans to stabilize food prices to the federal government, Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Thursday.

Champagne met with the heads of Loblaw, Sobeys, Metro, Costco and Walmart in Ottawa last month. The minister told them the government wanted to see their plans to stabilize prices by Thanksgiving.

The grocery chains are promising more discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns, Champagne said Thursday.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Calamity K said:

It's just not small enough. Libertarians are fine with people selecting drug use.

We've lost the war of drugs. @King Heffy is right just legalize everything. I mean we have shoot up clinics anyways. May as well save the taxpayers money by fighting an endless war on drugs. Never thought I would ever say that but that's where I'm at.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

The Liberals? :classic_huh:

AFAIK, Brian Mulroney was PM in 1987......:classic_unsure:

Ya both parties have welcomed Nazis into Canada. As long as you hate the Soviet Union.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Same answer I gave Rupert.

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Wait till you find out about operation paper clip and the head of Nasa's space program after WWII. 

Ya the Soviet Union and United States divided up the smartest Nazis and Churchill wanted to use the remaining Nazis to fight the Soviets. Colourful background for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Next person that brings up stupid crap like Fascism without any substance is getting blocked. I’m tired of this baseless dramatization. Throwing strong words like Fascism around like it’s no big deal. 
you’re a troll that will never be called out cause you’re a liberal. Go for a nap Boomer, when you wake up, try posting some substance.
Show me results.  

show me a plan.
If the liberals continue on this trajectory, we won’t have money to pay for social programs. The paradigm shift will be significant and this collapse will be tied to the liberal party for generations to come. If I were a liberal I’d be praying for a government change in the next 24 months, at least this way, the blame for the collapse can be spread out. If this doesn’t happen there will be a huge shift right when the dust settles after this generational housing collapse. 
Stop talking about stupid crap like Fascism in fricken Canada FFS and start thinking about the issues that really matter. Nobody is coming for the kid that identifies as a moth. 

It's absolutely pathetic what the left wing has become, calling everyone Nazis. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That own literally everything related to food distribution in our nation.  They have raked in profits never seen in the grocery sector over the past 2.5 years and now all of a sudden have the ability to price math, offer deeper discounts and in fact lower prices.  But the entire time they said it was out of their control.

We need more competition in this nation and to stop pretending like we aren't owned by a small handful of corporations in every sector

The five largest grocery chains have delivered plans to stabilize food prices to the federal government, Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Thursday.

Champagne met with the heads of Loblaw, Sobeys, Metro, Costco and Walmart in Ottawa last month. The minister told them the government wanted to see their plans to stabilize prices by Thanksgiving.

The grocery chains are promising more discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns, Champagne said Thursday.

Shocking..the country was in lockdown with pretty much only grocery stores open and you are telling me they took advantage of the situation? Colour me shocked. 

It's absolutely disturbing how much money they made on the backs of struggling Canadians.

On 10/3/2023 at 12:53 PM, Ryan Strome said:

is the Canadian politics thread So we are discussing the prime minister as he is an important player in Canadian politics at the moment. Looked at the American politics thread. It's all about a guy who hasn't been president since 2020. I don't see you telling anybody in there, they're talking about the former president too much.

He's history (JT) unless Pee-pee puts his foot in his mouth.  All Pee-Pee has to do is smile and keep his mouth shut, and its 'in the bag' (all he has to do is let JT do the work for him).  Course, that was the case of each of the past several Con candidates.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The problem with big retailers during high inflation periods is showing growth to their investors. Inflation will lower overall sales. Lower sales means lower revenue. What ends up happening is they increase the prices of the products that don’t see a drastic drop in volume (necessities) it increases revenue on lower overall volume. This is why we see inconsistent inflation on things like meat and eggs, milk. 
The government is going to have to figure out how to somehow cut a deal with the big corporations. They don’t give a crap about anything but growth for shareholder sentiment.
This is also treating a symptom over a disease. 

Edited by LaBamba
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The problem with big retailers during high inflation periods is showing growth to their investors. Inflation will lower overall sales. Lower sales means lower revenue. What ends up happening is they increase the prices of the products that don’t see a drastic drop in volume (necessities) it increases revenue on lower overall volume. This is why we see inconsistent inflation on things like meat and eggs, milk. 
The government is going to have to figure out how to somehow cut a deal with the big corporations. They don’t give a crap about anything but growth for shareholder sentiment.
This is also treating a symptom over a disease. 

I do think the government making threats towards them is maybe the only card they had to play at the moment, but in reality it's a losing hand. The threat of increasing taxes on them so all they will do is turn around and raise the prices on the consumers. The vast majority of Canadians cannot afford to go back to the mom and pop grocery stores as much as I would support that and love that. It's just far too expensive shopping at mom and pop shops. Sadly big corporations control all of us in one form or another

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

100%

Who knew that history was messy.  

Checks notes

Anyone who even remotely studies history.

A lot of stuff was easier to hide in the past.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

There's also an aspect of the Nazi's forcing conquered people to fight for them as well, especially from Eastern Europe.  Many Ukranians, Poles etc were forced to fight with the Nazis under the fear of death or harm to their families.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

There's also an aspect of the Nazi's forcing conquered people to fight for them as well, especially from Eastern Europe.  Many Ukranians, Poles etc were forced to fight with the Nazis under the fear of death or harm to their families.

So then what does that make the Eastern Europeans that didn't join up with the Nazis? Really Heroic? That sounds like to me you are making an excuse for them. That's not good!

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

And, many of those lived through the Holodomor.  Imagine you lived through family, friends, neighbours starved to death due to Soviet policies.  

• Thanks 1