Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, you can say that of the US.

The US, unlike China for example, is a net exporter of oil.  They grow enough food to feed themselves.  But they can't get their own house in order when they have the means to be completely self-sufficient.

They are a net exporter, however they buy ours at a reduced rate, refine it(which helps job creation) and then sell it at a higher rate. He isn't wrong with his suggestion about Canada.

People need to stop thinking the Americans are friends. If we had a hostile government they would just move in and take what they wanted. Because both our parties have decided to not spend on the military, they have no choice but to bend over backwards for the Americans.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

They are a net exporter, however they buy ours at a reduced rate, refine it(which helps job creation) and then sell it at a higher rate. He isn't wrong with his suggestion about Canada.

People need to stop thinking the Americans are friends. If we had a hostile government they would just move in and take what they wanted. Because both our parties have decided to not spend on the military, they have no choice but to bend over backwards for the Americans.

I consider the Americans friends but they are not family. Anybody who does not think American interests are at work inside Canada and that they influence our politics and businesses are naive. 

• Cheers 1

A lot of doom and gloom ITT....

I had no idea I was living in the Western Hemisphere's version of Darfur....:classic_unsure:

In my experience, some things are more expensive, (thanks to the Pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine) but otherwise, my life is pretty much as it was when Stephen Harper was PM....

For those of you who's experience is that the country is being "destroyed", you have my condolences. But chin up, I'm sure things will magically turn around for you once Pollievre is elected and it will all be sunshine and roses for you....:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I consider the Americans friends but they are not family. Anybody who does not think American interests are at work inside Canada and that they influence our politics and businesses are naive. 

Boom! Just look at the oil industry! Some including on CDC brainwashed by the United States to shut down our oil industry while theres thrives.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:09 PM, RupertKBD said:

Oh yay.....another pseudo-intellectual trying to convince us all that both parties are the same..... :picard:

Yeah, they're exactly the same.....this is why we see so much bipartisan legislation these days....:classic_rolleyes:

On 10/7/2023 at 7:16 PM, RupertKBD said:

Nobody gives AF about your dime store POLI SCI lecture.

When it comes down to which one is fit to govern and which is a clown car full of cowardly Trump adherents and performance artists.....they couldn't be more different.

Pretty obvious.....

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

A lot of doom and gloom ITT....

I had no idea I was living in the Western Hemisphere's version of Darfur....:classic_unsure:

In my experience, some things are more expensive, (thanks to the Pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine) but otherwise, my life is pretty much as it was when Stephen Harper was PM....

For those of you who's experience is that the country is being "destroyed", you have my condolences. But chin up, I'm sure things will magically turn around for you once Pollievre is elected and it will all be sunshine and roses for you....:classic_rolleyes:

Well, considering you do live in this country, you told all of us the world was coming to an end when Trump was president. Yet everything seemed to be better for you when Biden was president. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how either affected you, but you seemed pretty involved in American politics and still very involved in Trump. As far as the Russian invasion, what is more money in canada because of the Russian invasion? Fuel is more because of the never-ending increases to the ridiculous carbon tax that hasn't helped climate targets in this country whatsoever. But then again, some of us said that would be the case and people like you ridiculed us.

I love these posts like this though. Yes, things are terrible right now but in my opinion they wouldn't be better under another person. So let's keep things terrible under the guy that's done a terrible job because that's my preference. Stick to Trump, guy.

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canada’s oil is sold in the open market (WCS) it is discounted due to its physical properties and accessibility. It’s a higher viscous (heavier grade) that’s blend of bitumen (oil sands) and diluted with condensate (unconventional frac light oil) the majority of refineries are not equipped to handle the byproducts of WCS and also are not equipped with the proper “filtration” most refineries are designed to refine conventional oil (Middle East). This is why the US is a net exporter. This is also why some Canadian refineries can’t process WCS either. Canada would make far more revenue off their WCS if they had the infrastructure to refine it then sell the final product on the open market. It would also be in our best interests to make it more available to the open market. We also have another blend called Canadian light that is similar in properties to WTI (US Benchmark) but is even less accessible. 

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Canada’s oil is sold in the open market (WCS) it is discounted due to its physical properties and accessibility. It’s a higher viscous (heavier grade) that’s blend of bitumen (oil sands) and diluted with condensate (unconventional frac light oil) the majority of refineries are not equipped to handle the byproducts of WCS and also are not equipped with the proper “filtration” most refineries are designed to refine conventional oil (Middle East). This is why the US is a net exporter. This is also why some Canadian refineries can’t process WCS either. Canada would make far more revenue off their WCS if they had the infrastructure to refine it then sell the final product on the open market. It would also be in our best interests to make it more available to the open market. We also have another blend called Canadian light that is similar in properties to WTI (US Benchmark) but is even less accessible. 

So why did Harper never invest in a refinery that could do this?

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

This isn't all entirely true my friend. But I do agree with a lot of what you said.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So why did Harper never invest in a refinery that could do this?

Because provinces said no. 

They also are very costly things to build and it isn't a good idea to have government pay for everything.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You expected an Alberta PM to nationalize energy production?

I don't think anybody is too fond of that idea Albertan or not.

Just now, Bob Long said:

well, yeah. It would have been good for everyone.

History has shown that it wasn't. Also, let's look at oil prices during the coronavirus pandemic taxpayers would have been on the hook for a lot of money So if Canadians had their say they would have said no and our oil industry would have collapsed. We certainly don't need the federal government involved in the Alberta oil industry. Otherwise, let's get the federal government calling the shots on the British Columbia mining and logging industry.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

History has shown that it wasn't. Also, let's look at oil prices during the coronavirus pandemic taxpayers would have been on the hook for a lot of money So if Canadians had their say they would have said no and our oil industry would have collapsed. We certainly don't need the federal government involved in the Alberta oil industry. Otherwise, let's get the federal government calling the shots on the British Columbia mining and logging industry.

its not really just Alberta's industry tho. Soon it'll be partly BC's responsibility as well assuming TMX finally gets finished. 

Dunno, I think at least one one the west coast, maybe fully/partly First Nations owned, would have been a very good idea for the whole county. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Tell all that to Hydro-Québec.  It's a fun, ongoing history lesson that gets largely ignored here in western Canada.

its not really just Alberta's industry tho. Soon it'll be partly BC's responsibility as well assuming TMX finally gets finished. 

Dunno, I think at least one one the west coast, maybe fully/partly First Nations owned, would have been a very good idea for the whole county. 

One to the east, west and potentially Saskatchewan could put one up into northern Manitoba.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Tell all that to Hydro-Québec.  It's a fun, ongoing history lesson that gets largely ignored here in western Canada.

But hydroelectric dams are so good for the environment...🙃

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Moe-ron could never accomplish anything that useful. 

It's actually been talked about for some time. Believe it or not under conservative government in Manitoba there was a little bit of resistance to the idea probably to do with money. I do know a little bit about their new premiere, but again I don't know how he will act as premiere, but that could become a little more difficult. This is why I don't buy that story about Alberta oil and some of the reasons it sells cheaper. While la Bamba is correct and what he's saying in my opinion it's just not the full story because Saskatchewan oil sells at a discount as well and they have light sweet crude.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's actually been talked about for some time. Believe it or not under conservative government in Manitoba there was a little bit of resistance to the idea probably to do with money. I do know a little bit about their new premiere, but again I don't know how he will act as premiere, but that could become a little more difficult. This is why I don't buy that story about Alberta oil and some of the reasons it sells cheaper. While la Bamba is correct and what he's saying in my opinion it's just not the full story because Saskatchewan oil sells at a discount as well and they have light sweet crude.

Kinew pro-oil? no idea. I could see him being open to new partnerships. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Kinew pro-oil? no idea. I could see him being open to new partnerships. 

It's my understanding that he isn't pro oil, however everybody kind of changes a little bit once they come into government and we see what money looks like on certain projects. Your previous premier would be a perfect example of that wasn't he hell bent on stopping the site c project? I know Dr. Weaver was and then he changed course as well. Politics or money really changes people haha

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's my understanding that he isn't pro oil, however everybody kind of changes a little bit once they come into government and we see what money looks like on certain projects. Your previous premier would be a perfect example of that wasn't he hell bent on stopping the site c project? I know Dr. Weaver was and then he changed course as well. Politics or money really changes people haha

Weaver :picard: You mean the political equivalent of Ned Beatty in Deliverance? Horgan used him like a chew toy.

One thing about Horgan was he was smart enough to promise left and govern a bit more centrally when it came to big projects like site c and natural gas. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Weaver :picard: You mean the political equivalent of Ned Beatty in Deliverance? Horgan used him like a chew toy.

One thing about Horgan was he was smart enough to promise left and govern a bit more centrally when it came to big projects like site c and natural gas. 

I totally agree on using him. I actually thought when he was debating and listening to him prior to that election. I thought man if there was anybody that should try a green government maybe this is the guy that should lead it. Boy was I wrong lol

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I totally agree on using him. I actually thought when he was debating and listening to him prior to that election. I thought man if there was anybody that should try a green government maybe this is the guy that should lead it. Boy was I wrong lol

I was so pissed at how easily Weaver folded. He could have forced Horgan to install a decent EV grid e.g., for major routes. Instead, he had a nice beer and a chat with him.

• Haha 1

The BC NDP has to be a bit more centrist as the B Cup folks who tied up the BC Liberal name were former socreds and conservatives for 30 years now. There was no centrist party in BC without the NDP drifting to center-left. Now seems like the Conservative brand is trying to grow again which will guarantee an NDP re-election here.