Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It depends on context.  That line of thinking is what delayed the American entry into WWII and cost a lot of lives in the process. When some of the Dems tried to oppose aid to Ukraine, they were also called out on CDC.

Exactly the context would matter to see somebody wear a hat that says Canada first just walking down the street or going to work or going into a Tim Hortons would not be an issue. They would be showing pride to their nation and would be sending a message that I agree with Canada should be put first! That line of thinking had nothing to do with American entry or lack thereof into world war II. Just so you know, I'm probably not the guy you want to discuss world war II history with.

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

What is so bad about saying Canada first?

because it seems to inevitably come with other stupid stuff.

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah I don't think that's what it would have been. You think like that Because at heart you're a progressive conservative. You just don't support the CPC, but I don't believe you are a Trudeau liberal either. So I think you find yourself stuck going I no longer have a party.

I've never been a single party voter. I believe in a strong business climate, International trade and assistance, Canada having a meaningful international presence, and staying the f out of peoples lives. So whatever party has been closest to that has got my vote. It used to be the PCs,  then the Martin lib's, and due to the Reformer nonsense now the Trudeau libs. 

The CPC is too deep into peoples lives. Its too linked with the victimhood complex of "western alienation" which imo is the worst thing to ever happen to the western psyche. 

So yeah, Trudeau it is until something else comes along. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've never been a single party voter. I believe in a strong business climate, International trade and assistance, Canada having a meaningful international presence, and staying the f out of peoples lives. So whatever party has been closest to that has got my vote. It used to be the PCs,  then the Martin lib's, and due to the Reformer nonsense now the Trudeau libs. 

The CPC is too deep into peoples lives. Its too linked with the victimhood complex of "western alienation" which imo is the worst thing to ever happen to the western psyche. 

So yeah, Trudeau it is until something else comes along. 

1) Dafuk it does! No clowns or morons should be ever powerful enough to allow you to give up Canadian pride!

2) based on what I bolded how can you vote for Trudeau after saying that? I'm not even joking. That's a dead serious question.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Thanks Bob.   I was about to write one of my typically long winded posts about the history of the America First Committee and then I saw you cover it in a few words.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

Thanks Bob.   I was about to write one of my typically long winded posts about the history of the America First Committee and then I saw you cover it in a few words.

It doesn't cover anything actually and if your long-winded post would have been anything similar it would have been incorrect in my opinion as well. You are allowing those people to win and that is not right. Clowns that want to be against everything that is Canadian are the problem and that they shouldn't take away from anybody else's pride for putting this country first. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

It doesn't cover anything actually and if your long-winded post would have been anything similar it would have been incorrect in my opinion as well. You are allowing those people to win and that is not right. Clowns that want to be against everything that is Canadian are the problem and that they shouldn't take away from anybody else's pride for putting this country first. 

One mans patriot is another mans Russian.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

1) Dafuk it does! No clowns or morons should be ever powerful enough to allow you to give up Canadian pride!

🤣

2) based on what I bolded how can you vote for Trudeau after saying that? I'm not even joking. That's a dead serious question.

its easy. Trudeau's activism is typically about giving people more rights, not less. Can you give me an example of where Trudeau has taken anyones rights away? I get that the reaction to some of it has been people upset that their particular brand of intolerance isn't accepted anymore, but in black and white law, Trudeau has not taken anyone's rights away. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

🤣

its easy. Trudeau's activism is typically about giving people more rights, not less. Can you give me an example of where Trudeau has taken anyones rights away? I get that the reaction to some of it has been people upset that their particular brand of intolerance isn't accepted anymore, but in black and white law, Trudeau has not taken anyone's rights away. 

Listen you either have freedom of expression which would cover freedom of speech. Of course you don't have hate speech, but if you just move the goal posts over and over to suit your purpose well then we'll all find exactly what we want with differing candidates. The bottom line is he has taken away freedoms. He turned Farmers into criminals with one signature. He attempted to take away my right to criticize Islam. In fact that could still happen. Essentially he put it away for a rainy day. He attempted to take away the rights of parliamentarians to take their constituents concerns in the House of Commons to the prime minister by only trying to address them once a week. I mean the list goes on but if you want to say he hasn't taken away individual rights okay then but the onus would be on you to tell me which individual rights to conservatives took away. As you made the claim

This is really sad. You would rather be ashamed of national unity and pride because some clowns decided to use it for their purpose.

its not really that. Its how the clowns are using flags and what else they stand for. It's always attached to something like being mad about vaccinations or an f-Trudeau sign too. 

Its the re-branding of what to be proud of that bothers people. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

its not really that. Its how the clowns are using flags and what else they stand for. It's always attached to something like being mad about vaccinations or an f-Trudeau sign too. 

Its the re-branding of what to be proud of that bothers people. 

You are allowing them to win. You are giving up without a fight. On each side of my deck I have a Canadian flag and an Alberta flag. I never removed either because some skinhead flies a Canadian flag. They don't represent Canada and they never will. Canadians died in large numbers so that these people would never take over this country so I will never support giving up.

Listen you either have freedom of expression which would cover freedom of speech. Of course you don't have hate speech, but if you just move the goal posts over and over to suit your purpose well then we'll all find exactly what we want with differing candidates. The bottom line is he has taken away freedoms.

but he hasn't. You have the same Charter today you had 20 years ago.

He turned Farmers into criminals with one signature.

is this a gun thing?

He attempted to take away my right to criticize Islam. In fact that could still happen. Essentially he put it away for a rainy day.

you need to clarify this one for me. 

He attempted to take away the rights of parliamentarians to take their constituents concerns in the House of Commons to the prime minister by only trying to address them once a week.

not sure how QP relates to this?

I mean the list goes on but if you want to say he hasn't taken away individual rights okay then but the onus would be on you to tell me which individual rights to conservatives took away. As you made the claim

We don't have to cover this again, but you know my thoughts on the attempt to bring abortion laws into Canada. Then we have nonsense like Moe using the notwithstanding clause over a US evangelical concept of "parental rights" which is horse crap. We have the convoy support. We have he pandering to the western victimhood complex. 

This is really sad. You would rather be ashamed of national unity and pride because some clowns decided to use it for their purpose.

I am not ashamed of anything.   I am proudly Canadian and like it when we win things.   But isolationism, which is deeply in entrenched in America, or Canada, or North Korea, First has historically not worked out well.

I'm all for national unity too.   Seen much of it in this thread?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You are allowing them to win. You are giving up without a fight. On each side of my deck I have a Canadian flag and an Alberta flag. I never removed either because some skinhead flies a Canadian flag. They don't represent Canada and they never will. Canadians died in large numbers so that these people would never take over this country so I will never support giving up.

no I don't give them that much. I'm very much a proud Canadian. I just don't drive around with two flags hanging off my car. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but he hasn't. You have the same Charter today you had 20 years ago.

is this a gun thing?

you need to clarify this one for me. 

not sure how QP relates to this?

We don't have to cover this again, but you know my thoughts on the attempt to bring abortion laws into Canada. Then we have nonsense like Moe using the notwithstanding clause over a US evangelical concept of "parental rights" which is horse crap. We have the convoy support. We have he pandering to the western victimhood complex. 

No conservative government took away a woman's right to choose. That is factual! As for parental rights, that is absolutely not horse crap. In fact, I posted a study last night that contradicts you on that and I only deleted it because I thought you know what for Thanksgiving. It's going to be far too divisive. If you want to look it up, it's from the National Post. I never said it was a gun thing. You claimed he's given out more rights. I disagree you claim the conservatives take away rights again. I disagree and I just want some facts to back it up. 

12 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I am not ashamed of anything.   I am proudly Canadian and like it when we win things.   But isolationism, which is deeply in entrenched in America, or Canada, or North Korea, First has historically not worked out well.

I'm all for national unity too.   Seen much of it in this thread?

So I take it you don't care for Bernie Sanders or Barack Obama? 

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

no I don't give them that much. I'm very much a proud Canadian. I just don't drive around with two flags hanging off my car. 

I don't drive around with flags on my truck either, but to insinuate when you see this national pride that it's something bad is in fact giving them the power in my opinion. Actually, just based off what I know of the guy, I feel like I've taken Trudeau's position here and you have taken the position of an apologist.

No conservative government took away a woman's right to choose. That is factual! As for parental rights, that is absolutely not horse crap. In fact, I posted a study last night that contradicts you on that and I only deleted it because I thought you know what for Thanksgiving. It's going to be far too divisive. If you want to look it up, it's from the National Post. I never said it was a gun thing. You claimed he's given out more rights. I disagree you claim the conservatives take away rights again. I disagree and I just want some facts to back it up. 

No they haven't, but I think the current version of the CPC will try to move on reducing some rights if given the chance. Its the tolerance within the CPC of things like that idiot in SK on the abortion-adjacent laws, or the Moe stuff that bothers me. Thankfully they haven't really achieved anything yet, although it looks like Moe will get his way and allow some kids to no longer have a safe place to be who they are.

Its the tolerance within the party of these positions that keeps me away, not (thankfully) that they've achieved much. 

So I take it you don't care for Bernie Sanders or Barack Obama? 

I don't drive around with flags on my truck either, but to insinuate when you see this national pride that it's something bad is in fact giving them the power in my opinion. Actually, just based off what I know of the guy, I feel like I've taken Trudeau's position here and you have taken the position of an apologist.

I don't think I'm apologizing for anyone, I just don't see when in actuality anyones rights have been taken away. Not liking a law or policy is one thing, but fundamental rights have not been changed.

Curious what the farm thing is tho - not following on that one. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Anyways ladies and gentlemen, I'm not ignoring your comments but I've got a bunch of things to get done for a couple hours here. So if you do send me some compelling evidence @Bob Long give me some time and I'll get back to you.

I'll just go with the most recent stuff we've been discussing, the abortion-adjacent law stuff and my buddy Moe. 

Its the tolerance of this stuff within the party that keeps me away, not that they've achieved it. Although the 'parents rights' crapperola seems to have legs. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

No they haven't, but I think the current version of the CPC will try to move on reducing some rights if given the chance. Its the tolerance within the CPC of things like that idiot in SK on the abortion-adjacent laws, or the Moe stuff that bothers me. Thankfully they haven't really achieved anything yet, although it looks like Moe will get his way and allow some kids to no longer have a safe place to be who they are.

Its the tolerance within the party of these positions that keeps me away, not (thankfully) that they've achieved much. 

I don't think I'm apologizing for anyone, I just don't see when in actuality anyones rights have been taken away. Not liking a law or policy is one thing, but fundamental rights have not been changed.

Curious what the farm thing is tho - not following on that one. 

I also quoted your other post so I will stick to those topics. But the thing about farmers is when you outlaw their rifles immediately turn them into criminals.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'll just go with the most recent stuff we've been discussing, the abortion-adjacent law stuff and my buddy Moe. 

Its the tolerance of this stuff within the party that keeps me away, not that they've achieved it. Although the 'parents rights' crapperola seems to have legs. 

The parents rights should have legs as parents should have rights in fact more rights than any publicly funded institution. But feel free if you want to keep the discussion to that to enlighten me a little bit on what Scotty has done as I'm not staying up to speed on Saskatchewan laws and rules. Furthermore, unless I'm mistaken abortion in a woman's right to choose his federal, not provincial. Am I missing something? Serious question.

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Regardless of how I feel about these two gentlemen I fail to see any connection between what I said and this question.

Because it's not a bad thing to say Canada first! In my opinion, it's a patriotic and admirable thing to say.

Because it's not a bad thing to say Canada first! In my opinion, it's a patriotic and admirable thing to say.

Ok, how about "Me First" ?   Not accusing you of saying that, just asking if you ponder both statements and their similarities for a moment.

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Ok, how about "Me First" ?   Not accusing you of saying that, just asking if you ponder both statements and their similarities for a moment.

No, I don't live by that comment and I don't think it's similar because when I say Canada first it encompasses 40 million people. It's not saying white people first. It's not saying brown people first. It's not saying black people first. It's not saying this race first or that race first or this religion first it's saying Canada first all of us! Now I know that individual posted, although you said it was a fake but anybody doing that probably doesn't hold the point of view I have, but I don't care what it means to them. It's not what it should mean to the rest of us that live in the civilized country.

Edited by Ryan Strome

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No, I don't live by that comment and I don't think it's similar because when I say Canada first it encompasses 40 million people. It's not saying white people first. It's not saying brown people first. It's not saying black people first. It's not saying this race first or that race first or this religion first it's saying Canada first all of us! Now I know that individual posted, although you said it was a fake but anybody doing that probably doesn't hold the point of view I have, but I don't care what it means to them. It's not what it should mean to the rest of us that live in the civilized country.

Well, it looks like I'm just not going to convince you of anything today.  And I thought this would be the day.

• Haha 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

Well, it looks like I'm just not going to convince you of anything today.  And I thought this would be the day.

Nope, don't buy a lottery ticket my friend! Listen if you want to make a point that there's crazy lunatics holding these flags and saying Canada first, we can agree on that. But you won't change my mind when I say it is okay to say Canada first and to fly many Canadian flags. These people at certain events are just piss ants and that's all they'll ever be.