Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I also quoted your other post so I will stick to those topics. But the thing about farmers is when you outlaw their rifles immediately turn them into criminals.

ah OK. Well, here I'd argue that new regulations (of any type) are something all federal governments can do. It doesn't mean you've lost any rights. You may hate the regulation but thats not the same thing.

I'm sympathetic to people experiencing stupid regulations. But unfortunately the whole thing is so toxically politicized I don't know what the correct next step is. We do need to do more about the border smuggling issues and guns in the city. 

The parents rights should have legs as parents should have rights in fact more rights than any publicly funded institution. But feel free if you want to keep the discussion to that to enlighten me a little bit on what Scotty has done as I'm not staying up to speed on Saskatchewan laws and rules. Furthermore, unless I'm mistaken abortion in a woman's right to choose his federal, not provincial.

well, its shared. Healthcare is provincial, which is where services are provided. 

Am I missing something? Serious question.

So the problem with the 'parental rights' thing is its a massive red herring designed to scare parents into thinking they've lost something. It comes out of the US evangelical movement from a guy called Michael Farris (see e.g.https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2023/08/29/michael-farris-homeschoolers-parents-rights-ziklag/). Its part of a larger evangelical US movement to bring more religion into policies, we don't need that shit up here.

But the real problem is, all the policy does is give vulnerable LGBTQ+ kids one less safe place. But Moe and the other god boys don't care about these kids, they love having a wedge issue that scares parents. I mean who can argue that parents shouldn't have "rights"? right? but thats not really whats going on, its just making life less safe for some kids that need a safe place.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ah OK. Well, here I'd argue that new regulations (of any type) are something all federal governments can do. It doesn't mean you've lost any rights. You may hate the regulation but thats not the same thing.

I'm sympathetic to people experiencing stupid regulations. But unfortunately the whole thing is so toxically politicized I don't know what the correct next step is. We do need to do more about the border smuggling issues and guns in the city. 

well, its shared. Healthcare is provincial, which is where services are provided. 

So the problem with the 'parental rights' thing is its a massive red herring designed to scare parents into thinking they've lost something. It comes out of the US evangelical movement from a guy called Michael Farris (see e.g.https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2023/08/29/michael-farris-homeschoolers-parents-rights-ziklag/). Its part of a larger evangelical US movement to bring more religion into policies, we don't need that shit up here.

But the real problem is, all the policy does is give vulnerable LGBTQ+ kids one less safe place. But Moe and the other god boys don't care about these kids, they love having a wedge issue that scares parents. I mean who can argue that parents shouldn't have "rights"? right? but thats not really whats going on, its just making life less safe for some kids that need a safe place.

Let me look into this a little bit. It would be better for discussion if I had a better understanding in my opinion.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope, don't buy a lottery ticket my friend! Listen if you want to make a point that there's crazy lunatics holding these flags and saying Canada first, we can agree on that. But you won't change my mind when I say it is okay to say Canada first and to fly many Canadian flags. These people at certain events are just piss ants and that's all they'll ever be.

I tried to get out of this but....

I never said don't fly a flag.  Never said don't be patriotic.

I did say Canada First implies isolationism and ultra nationalism, as much or more than it implies patriotism.   Isolationism / ultra nationalism (I feel) have never worked.  In our interconnected world they likely never will. 

And, as Bob pointed out, it seems to attract a lot of nutters.

I'm done.   Let's agree to disagree.   It might all be an argument over semantics anyway.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

My bad I totally missed it. I thought it was a political message that was being debated here.

Stop posting such left-wing trickery.🤣

I mean it's not the same at all. But yes if somebody wore a hat like that, that would be okay as well.

Otherwise, I wonder if you have outrage when left-wing leaders in the United States say America first. Like honestly, putting your country first should be what most should think. You shouldn't be ashamed by that

You're ignoring all the context that goes with slogans like that, but you do you. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No, I'm not. What you are doing is allowing that to go with slogans like that. But you do you? Everybody needs a social justice warrior lol

Strome, the picture is taken at the "Freedom" rally in Ottawa. "Canada First" is not something any regular Canadian wears or says. It's a slogan for hypernationalists. 

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Strome, the picture is taken at the "Freedom" rally in Ottawa. "Canada First" is not something any regular Canadian wears or says. It's a slogan for hypernationalists. 

The picture is a fake! Second, when Bernie Sanders and Barack Obama say America first. Do you have an issue with that?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

The picture is a fake! Second, when Bernie Sanders and Barack Obama say America first. Do you have an issue with that?

If the picture is fake and he - or others - wasn't wearing a Canada First hat at that bs rally then thats one thing. If Obama or Bernie were wearing America First hats while storming the White House, then no, I wouldn't be okay with that. I'm assuming you know what context is, but maybe I'm wrong?  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If the picture is fake and he - or others - wasn't wearing a Canada First hat at that bs rally then thats one thing. If Obama or Bernie were wearing America First hats while storming the White House, then no, I wouldn't be okay with that. I'm assuming you know what context is, but maybe I'm wrong?  

If you choose to take National unity and national pride as a meaning of something bad because somebody used a flag or a hat, that's a Canada first that's on you, not on the rest of us.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Also, the fact you see nothing wrong with the All Lives Matter slogan says it all. 

To you it says it all and that's fine. You can have your opinion, but I don't live in your world where I want to fight racism with racism. I've seen more than enough of your posts to make my mind up.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

If you choose to take National unity and national pride as a meaning of something bad because somebody used a flag or a hat, that's a Canada first that's on you, not on the rest of us.

To you it says it all and that's fine. You can have your opinion, but I don't live in your world where I want to fight racism with racism. I've seen more than enough of your posts to make my mind up.

If someone is wearing a slogan hat at a rally like that then it changes the meaning, hence context matters. I'm not sure how you're missing this. You're either obtuse or trolling. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

If someone is wearing a slogan hat at a rally like that then it changes the meaning, hence context matters. I'm not sure how you're missing this. You're either obtuse or trolling. 

So it could only be two options? Thank you Mr Almighty haha. The slogan at that rally means nothing as it relates to us normal folk.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/rcmp-launches-criminal-investigation-into-doug-ford-s-greenbelt-land-swap/article_f778e402-1c56-54c8-b6b3-1e212fe4d662.html?utm_content=rcmplaunches&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=BreakingNews

RCMP launches criminal investigation into Doug Ford’s Greenbelt land swap

The RCMP has launched a criminal investigation into Premier Doug Ford’s $8.28-billion Greenbelt land swap scandal.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/rcmp-launches-criminal-investigation-into-doug-ford-s-greenbelt-land-swap/article_f778e402-1c56-54c8-b6b3-1e212fe4d662.html?utm_content=rcmplaunches&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=BreakingNews

RCMP launches criminal investigation into Doug Ford’s Greenbelt land swap

The RCMP has launched a criminal investigation into Premier Doug Ford’s $8.28-billion Greenbelt land swap scandal.

I guess that liberal conservative will be hoping he has the same power as the prime minister and can block a RCMP investigation

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dougie is putting a call in to Freeland as we speak 

I'm being a smart-ass for all I know he could have more power and block it. This country is a little messed up sometimes and how politicians can block those that are investigating them.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

Blocked what now?  Care to provide a source?

I don't really think I need to. I think it's common knowledge as it relates to JWR.

Also, if you are not familiar with the fact that the government can claim a thing called cabinet confidentiality than they don't have to provide that evidence then just do a little search yourself. This is more about Ford I just haven't heard of anybody else potentially under a police investigation other than the prime minister as far as governments in this country go.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm being a smart-ass for all I know he could have more power and block it. This country is a little messed up sometimes and how politicians can block those that are investigating them.

Our executive privilege/cabinet confidence rules are quite powerful for sure.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Our executive privilege rules are quite powerful for sure.

Yeah it's actually bizarre. There was somebody in here mentioning the prime minister has very little power and that couldn't be further from the truth. The prime minister of Canada is one of the, if not the most powerful heads of government in the free world. There's been so many pieces written on it. You can YouTube it. It's very easy to access and they go over all the power that the prime minister has, especially with the majority government, which is essentially what Trudeau has until the NDP saves up a bit of money. Although I see the liberals are getting way behind in money as well. The conservatives have already raised over twice as much.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah it's actually bizarre. There was somebody in here mentioning the prime minister has very little power and that couldn't be further from the truth. The prime minister of Canada is one of the, if not the most powerful heads of government in the free world. There's been so many pieces written on it. You can YouTube it. It's very easy to access and they go over all the power that the prime minister has, especially with the majority government, which is essentially what Trudeau has until the NDP saves up a bit of money. Although I see the liberals are getting way behind in money as well. The conservatives have already raised over twice as much.

Oh for sure it is. Cabinet confidence is pretty much a free ticket to discuss anything.

I think you can argue both the value and harms of that. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So an opinion piece.  That's your source.  Cool.

Yet, it was the RCMP who said:

“After a comprehensive and impartial assessment of all available information, the RCMP determined that there was insufficient evidence to substantiate a criminal offence and the file was concluded. The conclusion of that file was communicated to the original complainant in a letter in January 2023 and was also to be released via several Access to Information Requests received.”

Where in that did Turdope stop or block said investigation?  I mean, it gets tiring bringing up this old news over and over.  I think we've had like at least one election since then.  

I just posted the current news regarding the greenbelt scandal that plaguing the Ford government.  A real scandal that may have implications in the upcoming Federal election.  You're the one who deflects saying that JT could block an RCMP investigation.  Whatever man.  Cool.  JT is a dictator that can stop investigations.  I guess then he has the ability to start whole investigations on a whim.  Does he also have the power to control the media?  What about the weather?  Surely, he can turn water into wine?

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So an opinion piece.  That's your source.  Cool.

Yet, it was the RCMP who said:

“After a comprehensive and impartial assessment of all available information, the RCMP determined that there was insufficient evidence to substantiate a criminal offence and the file was concluded. The conclusion of that file was communicated to the original complainant in a letter in January 2023 and was also to be released via several Access to Information Requests received.”

Where in that did Turdope stop or block said investigation?  I mean, it gets tiring bringing up this old news over and over.  I think we've had like at least one election since then.  

I just posted the current news regarding the greenbelt scandal that plaguing the Ford government.  A real scandal that may have implications in the upcoming Federal election.  You're the one who deflects saying that JT could block an RCMP investigation.  Whatever man.  Cool.  JT is a dictator that can stop investigations.  I guess then he has the ability to start whole investigations on a whim.  Does he also have the power to control the media?  What about the weather?  Surely, he can turn water into wine?

An opinion piece?

Anyways, if you don't know anything about cabinet confidentiality, I'm not going to explain it to you. Stick to American politics guy.

Right in the article you quoted it says all the available information! That should tell you exactly what you need to know. I know you love to defend liberals and Trudeau but the fact of the matter is he uses cabinet confidentiality for his corruption.

Edit: I think I very much pointed out that it was about Ford but I was making a joke saying of Trudeau can block investigations Ford probably can as well. But you shouldn't be telling me that I'm making it about Trudeau as you make everything about Trump and the conservatives when the news is something else. So that's a little bit ridiculous coming from you of all people.

Edited by Ryan Strome