Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This thread is going to be hilarious if PP ends up winning. The amount of crying and whining that will be done is sad

I'm sure there will be plenty of people crawling out from under their rocks, just so they can rub it in....

Present company excluded, of course....

26 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-taube-does-it-matter-that-alex-jones-endorsed-pierre-poilievre-not-in-the-slightest

Michael Taube: Does it matter that Alex Jones endorsed Pierre Poilievre? Not in the slightest

*excerpt*

"Why? Because most intelligent and rational-thinking Canadians will realize this supposedly big breaking news event isn’t worthy of their consideration."

*excerpt*

"And besides, Poilievre doesn’t need to address Jones’s endorsement in any great detail. A few media organizations reported that the Opposition Leader’s Office said on April 5, “We do not follow the individual you mention or listen to what he says.” That’s more than enough. Anything else would only serve to provide legitimacy to the statement itself, and potentially open the doors to an even wider discussion and more conspiracy theories. As the old saying goes, less is more."

Hasn't CBC reprted this?

This seems like one man's opinion to me.     So, it's no more or less valid than mine or yours.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This seems like one man's opinion to me.     So, it's no more or less valid than mine or yours.

The part you were asking about is PP's response. All of this occurred weeks ago, incidentally. I'm not sure why Trudeau is making an issue of it now.

2 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

The part you were asking about is PP's response. All of this occurred weeks ago, incidentally. I'm not sure why Trudeau is making an issue of it now.

its aligns with Skippy's visit to the weirdo camp this week. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maninthebox said:

Yes, I perhaps responded too quickly.

Still, I disagree that saying 'We do not follow the individual you mention or listen to what he says.”  is more than enough.   I'd prefer a party leader who  would take the opportunity to denounce Jones.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm sure there will be plenty of people crawling out from under their rocks, just so they can rub it in....

Present company excluded, of course....

don't know if you saw the beginning of the At Issue discussion this week but they are talking about what we've all been talking about in here for a year at least, it appears that this is a good time for trudeau to step out of the picture and let someone else take over for the next election. 

I think that would be the worst thing that could happen to Ricky and other PP supporters. It pretty much nukes the narrative they've spent 9 years on. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maninthebox said:

That could be it. Alex Jones is certainly a weirdo.

anyone that can camp out for 3 weeks like those folks are in the weirdo camp. Its just true. Who has the time for that? clearly Skip is just playing to the base sympathetic to folks like this, same as he did with the convoy crowd. 

19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Agreed. I have to say, it's a bit odd that I see so many people who claim to be Liberal, or at least progressive voters, all of a sudden ready to vote for PP, just because they don't like Justin....

Yeah, lets just go ahead and throw out all of our principles and political beliefs, because of the guy leading the party. :classic_rolleyes:

Gotta say, it kind of makes me doubt their claims of being "progressives" in the first place.....unless of course, they're abandoning Justin to vote for Jag....

Older folks who've been voting longer, and who've been around to witness and participate in the Canadian political climate could probably correct me if I'm wrong, but my view is that this is partially a result of the Americanization of Canadian politics. Parties and leaders trading jabs ain't new, but it just seems like more of a popularity contest that revolves around individual party leaders than it used to be. I used to view this more as an over the top sensationalized American politics bit but there seems to have been more of it in Canada within the last decade. 

Which is a shame, because it ain't these individual leaders who are forming platforms, policy, or who make up the political machines that back each of them. They're individuals capable of having micro, messo, and macro level impacts on Canada but at the end of the day they're still individuals. 

But I could be off base, I was younger and less mature ten years ago and I noticed less. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Can I discount the opinions of the National Post as readily as others discount the opinions of CBC/CNN?    Either way, I see no validation of the word 'barely'.

From your article:

A video statement released earlier this week by senior Hamas leader Dr. Ghazi Hamad thanked Canada for their controversial support of a non-binding United Nations resolution calling for a ceasefire in war-torn Gaza — referring to a joint statement issued by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau alongside his Australian and New Zealand counterparts calling for a “sustainable ceasefire” between Israel and Hamas.

Calling for a ceasefire prompted a thankyou from Hamas.  This is sad according to one of your previous posts.   Was the call for a ceasefire sad or the response from Hamas?

Hamas can say what they will.   Trudeau, PP, and Singh, along with others, heard what they said and and condemned Hamas.  So, they took action.  PP heard what Alex Jones said and did nothing.   No sadness there?

You can discount the opinions of national post or anyone else you want. I don't care.

I'm not going to get into the Hamas war right now but anytime a terror leader thanks you that's how you should know you are in the wrong.   One is a terror group and one is a guy who's says some dumb shit sometimes. It really doesn't matter if PP says anything. I don't care about that either 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

don't know if you saw the beginning of the At Issue discussion this week but they are talking about what we've all been talking about in here for a year at least, it appears that this is a good time for trudeau to step out of the picture and let someone else take over for the next election. 

I think that would be the worst thing that could happen to Ricky and other PP supporters. It pretty much nukes the narrative they've spent 9 years on. 

Trudeau's ego would never allow for that

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Older folks who've been voting longer, and who've been around to witness and participate in the Canadian political climate could probably correct me if I'm wrong, but my view is that this is partially a result of the Americanization of Canadian politics. Parties and leaders trading jabs ain't new, but it just seems like more of a popularity contest that revolves around individual party leaders than it used to be. I used to view this more as an over the top sensationalized American politics bit but there seems to have been more of it in Canada within the last decade. 

Which is a shame, because it ain't these individual leaders who are forming platforms, policy, or who make up the political machines that back each of them. They're individuals capable of having micro, messo, and macro level impacts on Canada but at the end of the day they're still individuals. 

But I could be off base, I was younger and less mature ten years ago and I noticed less. 

you're not off base imo. I do think the right has employed a lot more of the US tactics, you can see it in the messaging in things like "parental rights" and the trans stuff, in the environment arguments, etc. 

the left in Canada has used it less because we have pretty much what the US left has desired for years. We still have Hillary Clinton come up for speeches, e.g., but as far as the arguments go in the Canadian left we're quite far out ahead of the US. I mean, can you even imagine a discussion on national day-care or pharma in the US? they are decades from something like that. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Spring Salmon said:

You can discount the opinions of national post or anyone else you want. I don't care.

I'm not going to get into the Hamas war right now but anytime a terror leader thanks you that's how you should know you are in the wrong.   One is a terror group and one is a guy who's says some dumb shit sometimes. It really doesn't matter if PP says anything. I don't care about that either 

I don't want to get into the Hama war either.  We have a thread for that.

Hamas thanked Canada for calling for a ceasefire.   If you think that means we 'were in the wrong' I think you are wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

I mean the NDP could force an election but we know that won't happen 🤷

Jag isn't stupid. He gets none of his pharma program in place if he does that. 

The Libs could do a quick turnaround on leadership if someone like Carney is willing to step up. Carney would rip Skippy to shreds on economic ideas. 

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

Trudeau has ruined the liberal brand. No new leader can save that party now. They are done for a decade, just like the conservatives were

I don't think so. 2/3 of the county likes the programs, they are just tired of him. The CPC isn't actually offering a viable alternative, just "not Trudeau." Well, the Liberal party can deliver that too 😄

What is the CPC offering that people can look forward to, outside of not having Justin around? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Jag isn't stupid. He gets none of his pharma program in place if he does that. 

The Libs could do a quick turnaround on leadership if someone like Carney is willing to step up. Carney would rip Skippy to shreds on economic ideas. 

I mean maybe? Again I just don't see how Trudeau's ego would ever allow that to happen. He's got a clearly loyal following in his cabinet.

He's also a pretty big fan of basic dictatorship. Doesn't sound like someone who would step aside on their own 🤷

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you're not off base imo. I do think the right has employed a lot more of the US tactics, you can see it in the messaging in things like "parental rights" and the trans stuff, in the environment arguments, etc. 

the left in Canada has used it less because we have pretty much what the US left has desired for years. We still have Hillary Clinton come up for speeches, e.g., but as far as the arguments go in the Canadian left we're quite far out ahead of the US. I mean, can you even imagine a discussion on national day-care or pharma in the US? they are decades from something like that. 

I have noticed that, it's disconcerting. I have no love for the US right, or the US political machine in general, so it's unfortunate that we're seeing more of it up this way. 

As for the left in Canada, Canada's historically been a left leaning country which puts us in a more favourable position to begin with. For all the frothing at the mouth that goes on down south about the left down in the US, I don't believe there is much of a left at the federal level. The US version of left seems more center right than anything to me. I don't think the US really has a left, at least not in the Canadian sense, but the political spectrum for each country is also quite different from what I understand. 

Very different countries, I just wish the US didn't have as much influence on our political system as it does. But the bit about living next to the US being like sleeping next to an elephant rings true. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I mean maybe? Again I just don't see how Trudeau's ego would ever allow that to happen. He's got a clearly loyal following in his cabinet 

I think the job wears people down, and costs them a lot personally. Sure its a long shot, but he should do it. Its time. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I don't think so. 2/3 of the county likes the programs, they are just tired of him. The CPC isn't actually offering a viable alternative, just "not Trudeau." Well, the Liberal party can deliver that too 😄

What is the CPC offering that people can look forward to, outside of not having Justin around? 

We are broke. We cant afford all these programs. Most people know that somehow we need to pay for these things.  Put Carney or Freelander as leader and let's have an election then

• ThereItIs 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I mean maybe? Again I just don't see how Trudeau's ego would ever allow that to happen. He's got a clearly loyal following in his cabinet.

He's also a pretty big fan of basic dictatorship. Doesn't sound like someone who would step aside on their own 🤷

Your post made more sense before the edit.  'basic dictatorship'?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1