Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

don't know if you saw the beginning of the At Issue discussion this week but they are talking about what we've all been talking about in here for a year at least, it appears that this is a good time for trudeau to step out of the picture and let someone else take over for the next election. 

I think that would be the worst thing that could happen to Ricky and other PP supporters. It pretty much nukes the narrative they've spent 9 years on. 

12 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

TBH, I thought the best time was right after Sophie dumped him....He could have said something like "time to focus on my family", or something.

Why would he step away? His profile is far better as the leader of Canada than the former leader of Canada.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I wanna give you props for your fortitude.

I dont agree with you much and i know you get frustrated by being perhaps in a minority of opinion on here. 

But you are willing to respond and dont tuck your tail. I repect that. We need all the POV's and I am a big believer that we need to all keep communicating, even if sometimes it hurts us right in feels. Canada is the best country in the world. I know that almost all of us agree on that. Our concerns come from that love of our homeland.

Go Nucks. 

Nah 

Australia is the best country in the world.

The only place you can find Kangaroo's, Platypuses and Wombats. 

And Numbats, Wallabies and Wallaroo's.

And who else would think to make a condiment, from spent brewers yeast extract. 

We introduce our kids to " alcoholic " products at a young age.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I look longingly on the days when 1.40-1.50 seemed like a gouging, and 1.10-1.20 was the norm. 5-10 years ago?

Used to fill up my old V8 f150 for $100-120 at 1-1.20, yesterday filled up my 4c car for $100. 

The good old days apparently.

If everyone in Canada dropped dead tomorrow the planet wouldn't be saved. Wait let me re-phrase this as a question..

If everyone in Canada dropped dead tomorrow, would it save the planet? How much longer would we have? 

You are implying an entire nation of tens of millions of people do absolutely nothing to try and combat climate change.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sorry I'm responding so long. I try to avoid this thread when I'm sober, haha.

I said that at the beginning I agreed they didn't know the information, hence the entire world shutting down. But I think as time went along they definitely knew more than we did.

If your a leader of a country negotiating vaccine contracts under those circumstances your likely far closer to the process than the general public given the fact that your the ones negotiating the contract to spend (in our country) nearly unlimited funds to purchase said product for the population you represent - and if your closer to it why wouldn't the FDA looking for up to 75 years to release the data be of any concern? This isn't exactly conspiracy, just logic. Or else why do we even have representatives then.

Nvm the other things, I hate to go back down this road but if social distancing worked why did we go away from it, how does people wearing their mask into a restaurant only to take it off at their table restrict the virus, is standing 6ft apart really further than the virus could travel, if vaccines prevented you from getting the virus then why did vaxxed folks get the virus, if vaxxed folks just faced lesser/no symptoms but could contract & spread the virus to others then why were they allowed in public while non-sick people weren't, why was the natural development of children - who were at far far lesser risk than any group - sacrificed first & foremost, exc. exc. (Vaccine passports were a conspiracy theory that only lunatics thought would happen, until it happened then those opposing it were the lunatics, despite what I just said about it not restricting spread of the virus, exc. exc)

Due to the quality of masks and overall lack of diligence in sanitation, masks in restaurants were largely for show.  But the point was that the industry was doing the best they could to maintain a sense of civility.  Workers wore masks knowing they could contract germs and pass them onto others.  Going out was always going to be a risk.  It was a half-measure.

The fact that you are still asking these questions (both about vaccines and global warming) implies you are purely concerned with yourself and have no sense of community.  For what it's worth, you should feel at liberty to complete trash your own environment and just burn plastic for fun. 

32 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Nah 

Not to mention some of the best knives in the world. 

images.jpeg

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You are implying an entire nation of tens of millions of people do absolutely nothing to try and combat climate change.

I was asking a question..

If a nation of tens of millions has no effect on a global issue, how much should they sacrifice?

And if they do have an effect, then you should see what I asked as a question (which it was), and maybe you have an answer?

Due to the quality of masks and overall lack of diligence in sanitation, masks in restaurants were largely for show.  But the point was that the industry was doing the best they could to maintain a sense of civility.  Workers wore masks knowing they could contract germs and pass them onto others.  Going out was always going to be a risk.  It was a half-measure.

Thank you for confirming it was a phycological measure. I agree. 

The fact that you are still asking these questions (both about vaccines and global warming) implies you are purely concerned with yourself and have no sense of community.  For what it's worth, you should feel at liberty to complete trash your own environment and just burn plastic for fun. 

Hahaha of course this is the response. Your inferring your own conclusions from my post.

I pointed out a series of events, that I felt were illogical or didn't hold the test of time (in some parts by the authorities own supposed rational). And the fact this is even being raise is blasphemy to you, apparently.

Suggesting (example) that maybe there might've been a flaw in allowing people who had covid without symptoms to infect others in society while barring others who didn't have covid from not infecting other in society might've been wrong is now selfish. Makes sense. Also raising an issue with us sacrificing children's development? (Whom were clearly at the least risk) so selfish right, who cares about the kids. 

Its also not 'global warming', its climate change. And I'll continue to not burn plastic & sort/condense my waste as much as I can. Its just the most selfish thing to do after-all, which I love.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I was asking a question..

If a nation of tens of millions has no effect on a global issue, how much should they sacrifice?

And if they do have an effect, then you should see what I asked as a question (which it was), and maybe you have an answer?

Thank you for confirming it was a phycological measure. I agree. 

Hahaha of course this is the response. Your inferring your own conclusions from my post.

I pointed out a series of events, that I felt were illogical or didn't hold the test of time (in some parts by the authorities own supposed rational). And the fact this is even being raise is blasphemy to you, apparently.

Suggesting (example) that maybe there might've been a flaw in allowing people who had covid without symptoms to infect others in society while barring others who didn't have covid from not infecting other in society might've been wrong is now selfish. Makes sense. Also raising an issue with us sacrificing children's development? (Whom were clearly at the least risk) so selfish right, who cares about the kids. 

Its also not 'global warming', its climate change. And I'll continue to not burn plastic & sort/condense my waste as much as I can. Its just the most selfish thing to do after-all, which I love.

Make no mistake - don't go out to eat if you're worried about germs or getting sick.  Most kitchens in Canada are run entirely by young men/teenagers who are not gonna wash their hands every 2 minutes.  Same goes for servers - they did a bit more during the pandemic, but they didn't adhere to all the sanitary stamdatds either.  Everyone knew the risks of going out - nobody thinks the measures taken all worked.  Some did, others didn't.  But the custoners who refused to follow those rules?  The ones who tried to force their way into restaurants without passports or refused to wear masks walking in?  Trust me - those were the people everyone hated.  Compliance was the decent thing to do and they put a nice "I'm an asshole" sign on their backs.

This country is trying to combat climate changing by affecting consumer habits.  What other countries do is beyond their control.  But other countries' poor habits shouldn't dictate how this country implements policy.  Do our miliary forces cut the heads off captured enemies because they might do the same to us?  Or if your neighbour chooses to burn garbage, should that influence what you do in your own household?  Do your efforts to sort/reduce waste mean nothing just because of your neighbour?

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Why would he step away? His profile is far better as the leader of Canada than the former leader of Canada.

Because it's time. Every pm has a shelf life and he's reached it.

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Nah 

It’s such a beautiful place but I’ll never be allowed as long as you have the Huntsman as a gate keeper!! My wife is deathly scared of spiders 😂 Our good friend sent us a video of one hanging out behind a picture, they named the damn thing!! Wife said nope, nope hell nope!! Haha

Edited by Rook
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sorry I'm responding so long. I try to avoid this thread when I'm sober, haha.

I said that at the beginning I agreed they didn't know the information, hence the entire world shutting down. But I think as time went along they definitely knew more than we did.

If your a leader of a country negotiating vaccine contracts under those circumstances your likely far closer to the process than the general public given the fact that your the ones negotiating the contract to spend (in our country) nearly unlimited funds to purchase said product for the population you represent - and if your closer to it why wouldn't the FDA looking for up to 75 years to release the data be of any concern? This isn't exactly conspiracy, just logic. Or else why do we even have representatives then.

Nvm the other things, I hate to go back down this road but if social distancing worked why did we go away from it, how does people wearing their mask into a restaurant only to take it off at their table restrict the virus, is standing 6ft apart really further than the virus could travel, if vaccines prevented you from getting the virus then why did vaxxed folks get the virus, if vaxxed folks just faced lesser/no symptoms but could contract & spread the virus to others then why were they allowed in public while non-sick people weren't, why was the natural development of children - who were at far far lesser risk than any group - sacrificed first & foremost, exc. exc. (Vaccine passports were a conspiracy theory that only lunatics thought would happen, until it happened then those opposing it were the lunatics, despite what I just said about it not restricting spread of the virus, exc. exc)

'... I think as time went along they definitely knew more than we did.'   A bit paranoid imo.

The FDA's action was shady but points to bureaucratic nonsense on their part rather than conspiracy.  They did not want to have to release more than 500 pages of information a month.  Each page must be reviewed.  Certain pages will contain personal information and others will contain trade secrets.  A responsible government agency will try to protect both.

500 pages a month would mean 75 years.   That is not acceptable which is why they did not get away with it.  It was of concern and was stopped.  The FDC has a budget of billions and were forced to put more people on the job of releasing documents.

I'm not even going to bother responding on your vaccine comments except to say that I think you've drawn many incorrect conclusions.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

'... I think as time went along they definitely knew more than we did.'   A bit paranoid imo.

The FDA's action was shady but points to bureaucratic nonsense on their part rather than conspiracy.  They did not want to have to release more than 500 pages of information a month.  Each page must be reviewed.  Certain pages will contain personal information and others will contain trade secrets.  A responsible government agency will try to protect both.

500 pages a month would mean 75 years.   That is not acceptable which is why they did not get away with it.  It was of concern and was stopped.  The FDC has a budget of billions and were forced to put more people on the job of releasing documents.

I'm not even going to bother responding on your vaccine comments except to say that I think you've drawn many incorrect conclusions.

I've done a couple of FDA FOI requests in my work, this tack @Smashian Kassian is on about the 75 years is incorrect. It wasn't about blocking all of the info for 75 years, it was about how many documents could be requested in a given year. The people asking for the info wanted all of it immediately, the FDA was asking for a reasonable time frame to process it. 

It takes multiple staff members at the FDA to process a FOI request. You actually have to give them a budget along with your request to cover the costs if its more than a few pages. 

The resistance was about staffing. Each page released has to be reviewed and potentially redacted for confidential info, like trade secrets, supplier names, patient info, etc. You just can't release 100s of thousands of documents with no one looking at them beforehand.

There's no conspiracy here. This is why its so frustrating to have a discussion with people about this stuff, they don't know what they don't know, and yet have a strong stand on it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Off the top of my head: Because he's going to lose and hand the reins of the country to Pierre Pollievre....

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I see this "all or nothing" stance a lot...."I can't fix Climate Change, so why even try?"....it's beyond frustrating.

Aside from the fact that we should never need a reason to do the right thing, it's because even a small difference can have an effect, if we all do our part. That doesn't mean we have to all buy EVs, it just means doing something....just as OP suggested.

It's looks as though we're going to have to "science" our way out of this one and for that we need time. Doing our part might just give the scientific community the time they need to come up with solutions....

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Yea, but are those cookies free or...

Did you notice it's the same cookie shown 4 times?   So, there's really only one cookie.   There will be a bidding war.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wiener 1