Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1714251540107.jpg

Do they even realize that the bill was passed to protect the media companies so they can get paid properly for their programming?  I’d blame Zuker for this one.. our government tried to play hardball and us it failed but I believe their intentions were in the right place

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

😝 what a BS survey.  Anyone who knows, or like me has kids that fit both those generations know they don’t give a damn about politics.. if they are choosing one side or another it’s that echo chamber in their homes.  And who tends to do the most whining and complaining??? Yeah you guessed it, the right wing tools. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Rook said:

😝 what a BS survey.  Anyone who knows, or like me has kids that fit both those generations know they don’t give a damn about politics.. if they are choosing one side or another it’s that echo chamber in their homes.  And who tends to do the most whining and complaining??? Yeah you guessed it, the right wing tools. 

I think the Lib's ignore this poll at their peril. It seems accurate to me, tbh. Listening to my daughter and her buddies, this rings true. None of them really like Trudeau. 

16 minutes ago, Rook said:

So, any person you don't agree with politically is a tool?  Sounds like maybe you are the one with issues...

‘Generational fairness’?: Seven-in-ten Gen Z, Millennials say Trudeau’s government not working in their interest - Angus Reid Institute

‘Generational fairness’?: Seven-in-ten Gen Z, Millennials say Trudeau’s government not working in their interest

Concern over inflation cools, worry over the deficit rises; few see Trudeau best to handle top issues

April 25, 2024 – As the federal government looks to address “generation fairness” in its most recent budget, new data from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute finds most Canadians doubting it’s working for any generation at all.

In the second part of a post-budget scan of Canadian public opinion, seven-in-ten Canadians of all generations say they don’t believe the federal government under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is working in the best interest of their age group. Vast majorities of Gen Z adults (18- to 24-year-olds) and Millennials (25- to 44-year-olds) also express doubt the Liberals have their best interest at heart, despite a volley of measures in the recent budget aimed at some of their top issues.

Canadians’ top issues vary by generation but have been consistent for several years, with health care and affordability rating as high concerns since the end of the COVID-19 pandemic. On the latter, there has been some abatement. Half (51%) of Canadians believe cost of living to be a top issue, an 11-point drop from last year.

Both health care and affordability have been policy foci for the federal government in recent years. Still, when it comes to both issues, Canadians are more likely to say someone other than Trudeau is best to lead.

On health care, 28 per cent of Canadians say Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre is the best choice. Trudeau (14%) finishes behind NDP leader Jagmeet Singh (22%) and none of the above (22%) and is tied with “not sure” (14%). On housing affordability, Poilievre again leads (31%) and Trudeau (13%) trails “none of them” (24%), and Singh (19%) and ties “not sure” (13%). The Conservative leader also outpaces Singh and Trudeau combined when it comes to issues of the economy and handling the deficit.

Gen Z adults are more likely to say Poilievre (25%), Singh (23%) and none of them (21%) are the best choice for prime minister than Trudeau (10%), while Millennials believe Poilievre is the best choice at a plurality level.

More Key Findings:

Twice as many Canadians (28%) select the deficit/government spending as a top issue as a year ago (14%).

Two-in-five (43%) Canadians believe Poilievre is best to handle the deficit, outpacing Trudeau (13%) and Singh (8%) combined by a two-to-one ratio.

When it comes to who is best to lead on various issues, Trudeau performs best on Indigenous issues and the environment. In both cases, one-in-five Canadians believe he is the best choice, and similar numbers choose Poilievre and Singh.

About ARI

The Angus Reid Institute (ARI) was founded in October 2014 by pollster and sociologist, Dr. Angus Reid. ARI is a national, not-for-profit, non-partisan public opinion research foundation established to advance education by commissioning, conducting and disseminating to the public accessible and impartial statistical data, research and policy analysis on economics, political science, philanthropy, public administration, domestic and international affairs and other socio-economic issues of importance to Canada and its world.

No Bounce: Liberals' hoped-for support surge in wake of under-40 targeted spending blitz has yet to materialize - Angus Reid Institute

No Bounce: Liberals’ hoped-for support surge in wake of under-40 targeted spending blitz has yet to materialize

Despite popularity of various measures, budget appears to have no immediate effect on vote

April 24, 2024 – A month-long political sales job by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, his cabinet and caucus attempting to raise awareness and – crucially – support for a slew of budget spending measures aimed making life affordable for Canadians has yet to pay off.

In a bid to climb out of a 20-point deficit in vote intention, this year’s budget invested heavily in Gen Z adults and Millennials, loading $8.5 billion in spending on housing and other affordability measures, to woo Canadians under 40, while forecasting a nearly $40-billion deficit for the next fiscal year.

The problem? These key vote demographics do not appear to be picking up what the Liberals are throwing down. New data from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute finds Trudeau and the Liberals’ “generational fairness” budget has had no effect on the party’s electoral fortunes so far.

The opposition Conservatives lead the Liberals by a margin of nearly two-to-one (43 per cent versus 23 per cent) while the NDP are a not-to-distant third at 19 per cent. The Liberals are also the third choice among the Gen Z and Millennial voters they’re trying to win over, trailing both the NDP and CPC among those age cohorts.

However, this does not mean the budget’s measures are unpopular. At least seven-in-ten Canadians approve of the pharmacare (70%), dental care (73%) and Canada Disability Benefit (74%) included in the budget. Measures to address the housing affordability crisis – leasing out federally owned lands to build affordable housing (68%) and funding infrastructure such as pipes for new housing developments (65%) – are also popular.

At issue for many Canadians, though, is there is little belief that the budget as a whole will improve their personal financial situation, Canada’s economy, or the housing affordability crisis. In fact, a majority say the changes planned by the federal government will have a detrimental effect on these fronts instead.

Meanwhile, half (47%) of Canadians say they are more pessimistic about the future of their personal financial situation, and a majority (56%) say their outlook for Canada’s economy has grown more negative in the wake of the budget.

More Key Findings:

Renters are more likely to park their vote with the Conservatives (34%) or NDP (31%) than the Liberals (18%) if an election were held today.

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre is viewed more positively among Gen Z adults than Trudeau (29% vs 17%). He also has a higher favourability than Trudeau’s approval among younger (35% vs. 27%) and older (39% vs. 27%) Millennials.

Few undecided voters (5%) or those not very committed to their party choice (5%) say their opinion of Trudeau has improved in recent weeks.

Half (50%) believe increasing the capital gains inclusion rate is a “good idea” because “wealthy Canadians do not pay their fair share of taxes.” One-third (34%) disagree, saying “taxing capital gains hurts economic growth”.

While I don't discount such polls I also realize how quickly opinion can change. Unfortunately gross political advertising works to sway how people are viewed and their message discounted or validated. IMHO this is why political parties of all stripes have devalued their grass roots organizations. 

What is interesting on the federal level is how the Green and Peoples Party appear to be imploding. Both have internal org problems. One has to wonder where their supporters will drift too? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, any person you don't agree with politically is a tool?  Sounds like maybe you are the one with issues...

Oh don’t get me wrong there are people in the right wing that aren’t tools.. it’s one of those, if the shoot fits scenarios 

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

While I don't discount such polls I also realize how quickly opinion can change. Unfortunately gross political advertising works to sway how people are viewed and their message discounted or validated. IMHO this is why political parties of all stripes have devalued their grass roots organizations. 

What is interesting on the federal level is how the Green and Peoples Party appear to be imploding. Both have internal org problems. One has to wonder where their supporters will drift too? 

NDP or CPC almost exclusively I would think 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Currently on a trip with a ton of kids in these demos… asked 20 what their thoughts were, each of which said they all of which said not sure.  This is a very skewed survey

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think the Lib's ignore this poll at their peril. It seems accurate to me, tbh. Listening to my daughter and her buddies, this rings true. None of them really like Trudeau. 

I did make a comment on old CDC stating there was a bit of a conservative movement happening in my age group(20s). Right around the snap election. 

Me myself became more conservative minded as I reached my mid 20s. 

My entire level one IW class considered themselves conservatives and most of them were right out of high school in their teens. That was last year. 

I think there are a lot of reasons for it. Both solid and ignorant reasons. Albeit all sides have people on their side for those reasons. 

Young people are impressionable that’s why you see people out of universities where the culture swings left come out as such. Many more young people are online these days and I think the right has done a bit of a better job of attracting them or in some cases, deterring them from the left there. 

Generally speaking that’s what I believe. I don’t think it’s been a massive movement but enough of one. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I used to vote Green. Last election was a clown show, imploding as you say.

I went NDP.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I did make a comment on old CDC stating there was a bit of a conservative movement happening in my age group(20s). Right around the snap election. 

Me myself became more conservative minded as I reached my mid 20s. 

My entire level one IW class considered themselves conservatives and most of them were right out of high school in their teens. That was last year. 

I think there are a lot of reasons for it. Both solid and ignorant reasons. Albeit all sides have people on their side for those reasons. 

Young people are impressionable that’s why you see people out of universities where the culture swings left come out as such. Many more young people are online these days and I think the right has done a bit of a better job of attracting them or in some cases, deterring them from the left there. 

Generally speaking that’s what I believe. I don’t think it’s been a massive movement but enough of one. 

They are young and have little to lose trying out Poilievre this time.

I have sons that are In the aged group 25-35 and it's terrifying how many of their friends actually believe PP and expect day one for him to have all prices drop 25% immediately to see all carbon tax savings throughout the chain get passed upwards ... And to see their take home pay skyrocket without even a pay raise due to all the cuts to deductions coming ..... All while no impacting health education or pension

PP and his followers are selling fairy tales and rainbows and to see so many of our youth being taken by PPScam is frightening 

I don't like trudeau and the fed NDP will never form government..... But I was hoping sanity would prevail and the youth would start calling PP on his bullshit and demand he be honest of what his plans really are and what legislation he will pass about passing on carbon tax savings to customers actually is

Spoiler alert.... He doesn't and wouldn't ..... In BC only 2 things are fact If the carbon tax is deleted 

1 - you'll see it gone from your home has bill

2 - your carbon rebate If you get one will stop

That's it ..... And the checks in the mail is a fake line that was debunked generations ago 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

They are young and have little to lose trying out Poilievre this time.

In politics it’s always better to pick the lesser of two evils!  We learned this with the orange Tang guy

1 minute ago, Sapper said:

I have sons that are In the aged group 25-35 and it's terrifying how many of their friends actually believe PP and expect day one for him to have all prices drop 25% immediately to see all carbon tax savings throughout the chain get passed upwards ... And to see their take home pay skyrocket without even a pay raise due to all the cuts to deductions coming ..... All while no impacting health education or pension

PP and his followers are selling fairy tales and rainbows and to see so many of our youth being taken by PPScam is frightening 

I don't like trudeau and the fed NDP will never form government..... But I was hoping sanity would prevail and the youth would start calling PP on his bullshit and demand he be honest of what his plans really are and what legislation he will pass about passing on carbon tax savings to customers actually is

Spoiler alert.... He doesn't and wouldn't ..... In BC only 2 things are fact If the carbon tax is deleted 

1 - you'll see it gone from your home has bill

2 - your carbon rebate If you get one will stop

That's it ..... And the checks in the mail is a fake line that was debunked generations ago 

Anyone who believes any politician can decrease inflation has no idea what’s actually causing inflation

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Rook said:

Anyone who believes any politician can decrease inflation has no idea what’s actually causing inflation

Agreed ..... Nearly everything impacting inflation impacts on the average Canadian is a global issue that is also happening in almost every country on earth

I would agree though that in conservative lands they blame the left and in the middle of left lands they blame the right 

Easy items to sensationalized and make for snappy tik Tok videos 

I would have thought with alberta , Ontario and Saskatchewan all running deficits , having record homelessness and inflation that educated voters would call BS in any party claiming the other is responsible ..... And demanding to know what they are actually going to do to help... Not common sense solutions , not tik Tok videos , not unicorn promises.

Conservatives should demand the same from PP that they demand from others ... What's the actual plan details , Costs , who's going to pay for it and what will I benefit 

• ThereItIs 1

On 4/28/2024 at 9:08 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Interesting, but I'd take it with a grain of salt considering the sample size is a mere 3,015 Canadian adults who are members of Angus Reid Forum. This was state towards the bottom in the survey methodology subsection.

Thing about institutes and think tanks is you also have to ponder where they sit on the political spectrum, because that does influence how they approach and interpret things as well as their approaches to policy.

This particular institute is credible but it does have a right leaning bias. 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/angus-reid-institute/

Many think-tanks and institutes are not-for-profit organizations, their funding may come from governments, businesses or private advocacy groups, or from consulting and research work they engage in. Ideology plays a key role in who funds who. It's key to both understand and acknowledge that these organizations are not neutral, each has a certain ideology and certain policy objectives.

It's worth poking around at. 

Left leaning organizations include but are not limited to.. 

https://www.ccsd.ca/

https://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/

https://policyalternatives.ca/

On the other side of the spectrum, these lean right. 

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/

https://canadastrongandfree.network/about/

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/deeply-unhappy-grocery-shoppers-plan-to-boycott-loblaw-owned-stores-in-may-1.6865477

It's well documented PP's support for these corporations and opposition to holding their obscene record profits during this runaway inflation to any accountability 

I just hope those that haven't been completely conned by PP start connecting the dotes in his actions

Carbon tax increase gets PP full support for their encampments and call for jailing and execution .....  No matter that actually axing the tax would have very limited return as business will not be passing on much of it .....

We also have run away greed inflation from gas companies jumping fuel prices at a record level with oil actually pretty stable in price.... Conservatives are good with that ..... We have a pipeline coming live in a week or so that will cost near 50 billion and the same oil companies who demanded it be built are now demanding they get subsidized use rates and not have to pay real costs ... PP and conservatives are ok with that and double down by being ok with spending 50 billion if our taxes  for Alberta while they slam anyone not supporting conservatives ( people not conservative do support the oil and gas industry contrary to what PP says )..... And with runaway record grocery profits PP is a ok with you paying more as record profits for corporations is his only real priority 

Heck even Harper had to publicly call out business for not lowering the cost of items from the USA when our dollar was at or above par

It's a shame people don't understand that neither Justin or PP actually give a dam about them and both are supporting obscene profiteering on a needed basic item

We chat change either party to stop ...... But are we at least as the point now where we can agree that both trudeau and PP are the exact same ? Neither gentlemen gives a rats ass about you or your well being .... Just your vote 

Time to stop voting in cats that only change their color and not their actions 

16 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Time to stop voting in cats that only change their color and not their actions 

Mouse land should be be required viewing for everybody in the country, on a yearly, or preferably monthly basis.