Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Our executive privilege/cabinet confidence rules are quite powerful for sure.

Your Saskatchewan brother said he would repeal cabinet confidentiality if elected. I was pulling for old Andrew just to see if he could actually follow through with that.

Just joking. The guy was far too awkward looking to vote for lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

An opinion piece?

Anyways, if you don't know anything about cabinet confidentiality, I'm not going to explain it to you. Stick to American politics guy.

Right in the article you quoted it says all the available information! That should tell you exactly what you need to know. I know you love to defend liberals and Trudeau but the fact of the matter is he uses cabinet confidentiality for his corruption.

Edit: I think I very much pointed out that it was about Ford but I was making a joke saying of Trudeau can block investigations Ford probably can as well. But you shouldn't be telling me that I'm making it about Trudeau as you make everything about Trump and the conservatives when the news is something else. So that's a little bit ridiculous coming from you of all people.

You're the one who linked to an Toronto Sun opinion piece.

PP will have the same confidentiality.  Harper had it.  Jean C had it.  Mulroney had it.  Yet, the RCMP still investigated and determined there wasn't a case.  Where in that did JT stop the investigation?  Again, old news.

The Ford news is very much happening as we speak.  It's actual news.  Has nothing to do with me and my personal opinions.  You're the one who brought JT in, so your accusations are actually a confession.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

You're the one who linked to an Toronto Sun opinion piece.

PP will have the same confidentiality.  Harper had it.  Jean C had it.  Mulroney had it.  Yet, the RCMP still investigated and determined there wasn't a case.  Where in that did JT stop the investigation?  Again, old news.

The Ford news is very much happening as we speak.  It's actual news.  Has nothing to do with me and my personal opinions.  You're the one who brought JT in, so your accusations are actually a confession.  

So not an opinion piece!

Only able to investigate the evidence they were given!

Every other Prime Minister also had cabinet confidentiality but I don't recall them using it to block a RCMP investigation. Ah wait a second the previous liberal government did under Chretien.

But you are right, let's stick to Ford. So you know what you do when it's a liberal scandal. You say it's a nothing burger. No big deal. The conservatives do worse. So just flip it around and that'll be my answer to you lol.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I actually hope Ford is forced to step down. Guy is a knob. The only time I've ever enjoyed watching him is when he ate a bee

Maybe he can go back to his old job:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Your Saskatchewan brother said he would repeal cabinet confidentiality if elected. I was pulling for old Andrew just to see if he could actually follow through with that.

Just joking. The guy was far too awkward looking to vote for lol

He was full of it, no way he does that 

Isn't his family like some rich auto parts company thing? Like I thought him and his brother were born into money. Never even had to work.

Looks like he made his money supplying his brother's crack habit.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

He was full of it, no way he does that 

Yeah I remember right after it said some conservative strategists were saying that was a mistake. I guess he kind of just shot from the hip on that one.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

As per the article, he and his family are crackhead dealers, although I think they prefer to be called freebase suppliers.

Oh I didn't even look at the article. Maybe I have them mistakened. I thought they came from some rich auto parts family company.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah I remember right after it said some conservative strategists were saying that was a mistake. I guess he kind of just shot from the hip on that one.

Tbh I am fine with cabinet secrecy, it serves a purpose. 

We really don't have corruption like many other places, at least not on a significant scale. 

Maybe Ford is going for a record.

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Tbh I am fine with cabinet secrecy, it serves a purpose. 

We really don't have corruption like many other places, at least not on a significant scale. 

Maybe Ford is going for a record.

A lot going on. This in Ontario, premier Smith preparing to use the sovereignty act because of Trudeau's environmental overreach. Moe in Saskatchewan, Hicks in New Brunswick, Manitoba new Premiere.

Exciting times get out the popcorn.

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

A lot going on. This in Ontario, premier Smith preparing to use the sovereignty act because of Trudeau's environmental overreach. Moe in Saskatchewan, Hicks in New Brunswick, Manitoba new Premiere.

Exciting times get out the popcorn.

is it overreach, if its legal?

this is a win for everyone

B.C. becomes first province to sign individual health deal with feds, worth $1.2 billion

Canada's health minister is touting Ottawa's new $1.2-billion bilateral funding agreement with British Columbia as a new model for federal-provincial co-operation to address the health-care crisis across the country.

Mark Holland said the deal focuses on finding answers to the challenges facing Canada's health-care system instead of placing provincial and federal officials at odds over who's in charge in each jurisdiction.

"Look, I get that we want to think about jurisdiction and we want to protect jurisdiction," Holland said at the signing of the deal with B.C. at Vancouver General Hospital on Tuesday. "But at the end of the day, health is health, and we all have a responsibility to find ways to work together.

"I'm not looking to walk around with a stick and be aggressive towards provinces. I want to work with provinces and territories. I want to find solutions. So that isn't about intruding on jurisdiction. It's about being partners."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bc-health-accord-1.6991510

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's a violation. Without even getting into provincial rights, that's just look at the fact it'll cost Albertans four times more to power their homes on the days that we actually have electricity.

but wouldn't that only apply to the minority of homes still powered by coal plants?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think so. I think it's our grid system. Alberta's willing to go 2050 not 2035.

tbh I have a very hard time believing anything put out by the UCP and Smith in particular. Is there something more objective we can look at? 

it looks to me like AB is headed the right way: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-renewables-outpace-coal-generation-1.6773404

Just now, Bob Long said:

tbh I have a very hard time believing anything put out by the UCP and Smith in particular. Is there something more objective we can look at? 

it looks to me like AB is headed the right way: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-renewables-outpace-coal-generation-1.6773404

Alberta's plan is 2050 the federal plan is 2035 and the federal plan admittedly doesn't protect all Canadians as there could be blackouts. 2050 is far more achievable and far more cost-effective 2035 will bankrupt people and leave them in the dark. While you might not trust Smith or the UCP nobody in Alberta trust Trudeau or the liberals

Alberta's plan is 2050 the federal plan is 2035 and the federal plan admittedly doesn't protect all Canadians as there could be blackouts. 2050 is far more achievable and far more cost-effective 2035 will bankrupt people and leave them in the dark. While you might not trust Smith or the UCP nobody in Alberta trust Trudeau or the liberals

re: the link - I don't think anyone is pushing AB to be just solar and wind are they? Also, who is calling for a national power grid? why would that even be a good idea?

2050 seems like a stall tactic to me, maybe split the difference?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

re: the link - I don't think anyone is pushing AB to be just solar and wind are they? Also, who is calling for a national power grid? why would that even be a good idea?

2050 seems like a stall tactic to me, maybe split the difference?

I don't think it's a stall tactic. Admittedly, initially I had thought of it when they talked about it, but we have energy companies that are looking to be carbon neutral, but they need a little more time. I would imagine splitting the difference is something that Alberta has already thought about and I'm sure they're saving it for a negotiation response but it's Ottawa that won't move on 2035. I bet you 100%. If we were Ontario or Quebec they would go 2050 but we are Alberta. We are in the west and we are hated by the liberals So 2035 will be pushed on us and the sovereignty act will have to be used.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think it's a stall tactic. Admittedly, initially I had thought of it when they talked about it, but we have energy companies that are looking to be carbon neutral, but they need a little more time. I would imagine splitting the difference is something that Alberta has already thought about and I'm sure they're saving it for a negotiation response but it's Ottawa that won't move on 2035. I bet you 100%. If we were Ontario or Quebec they would go 2050 but we are Alberta. We are in the west and we are hated by the liberals So 2035 will be pushed on us and the sovereignty act will have to be used.

being from SK, and watching the rise of the Reformers, I just can't agree. I think so much of this argument is self-generate and self-sustaining now there's no going back, no matter what the truth is.

But, having said that, there has to be a better solution than whats being done now. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

being from SK, and watching the rise of the Reformers, I just can't agree. I think so much of this argument is self-generate and self-sustaining now there's no going back, no matter what the truth is.

But, having said that, there has to be a better solution than whats being done now. 

I'm not sure why we are seeing such defiance from SG and JT. Is it a control thing? Is it a who cares about Alberta because they don't care about us? One would think we where they are in the polls They would be open to ideas to make things more cost effective for Canadians? Have they completely given up on being competitive in the next election? Imagine the next election is in 2025 or any day depending on what Jag does would you really want to go into an election with a province declaring the sovereignty act and fighting it out in court? Or do the liberals view that as a good campaign tactic? Show the rest of Canada that okay Alberta and Saskatchewan are against us but who cares look at them They're a bunch of far right anti-vaxar lunatics? 

I mean it does seem bizarre that SG has drawn a line in the sand with essentially blacktop. 

Edited by Ryan Strome