Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Disappointing but not surprising given what's gone on down in the US the past few years, and given the rhetoric we've seen across Canada in recent years. 

Words have power, particularly when they're coming from people of influence. There is legitimate cause for concern. 

Religions gonna religion. Still a very small portion of the population and are being aged out most younger people who dont spend majority of their time in a church/temple are more open minded now. 

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

You can't get that book at the library anymore...

Conservatives had it banned, because it has an image of a rainbow.....

Haha Ya I'm sure they did.   Conservatives really have you shook huh?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Religions gonna religion. Still a very small portion of the population and are being aged out most younger people who dont spend majority of their time in a church/temple are more open minded now. 

I don't think it's quite that cut and dry, and I say that as someone who generally isn't keen on organized religion, particularly when it's woven into politics. There's a tendency for religion and bigotry to be interlocked but it's also not always the case, sometimes bigotry is just bigotry and there are bigots amongst all generations and demographics. 

There are various approaches to conservatism, I wish Canada had a more progressive conservative option for voters. One of my biggest issues with this current conservative party is that they seem to draw on the US brand of Christianity-infused social conservatism, which is a much uglier brand of conservatism. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just no where else to put this, but I wanted to share as I am uber-proud of our Canadian Royal Military College team this year as they have captured FIRST PLACE in the "international team' division at SANDHURST Military Skills Competition, and 2nd place overall among 45 teams and 15 nations!!!

After the cool intro video you can jump to the 10 minute mark to see "the most lethal squad award" ~ Canada

Next up in this long video is at the 24 minute mark, where you will see the "International Trophy" award to first place from any nation not called the USA. ~Canada

Finally you can jump to 35:30 to see them get their 2nd overall awards, losing only to the USM Academy, from what I can tell only due to the USMA folks winning the top physical fitness award. It must have been close!

GO CANADA!!!!! 

Truth Duty Valour

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I don't know if "shook" is the right word....

"Disaffected", more like....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think it's quite that cut and dry, and I say that as someone who generally isn't keen on organized religion, particularly when it's woven into politics. There's a tendency for religion and bigotry to be interlocked but it's also not always the case, sometimes bigotry is just bigotry and there are bigots amongst all generations and demographics. 

There are various approaches to conservatism, I wish Canada had a more progressive conservative option for voters. One of my biggest issues with this current conservative party is that they seem to draw on the US brand of Christianity-infused social conservatism, which is a much uglier brand of conservatism. 

In my experience most of the anti abortion and LGBTQ stuff, stems from religious beliefs. Bigotry may be more prevalent in areas like Alberta though, but in BC for the most part most conservatives I know do not resemble the Florida hillbilly republicans most try and make them out to be. Abortion and LGBTQ are issues brought up every election but to be honest I think this country has way bigger issues to address. Abortion and LGBTQ rights on a federal level are not likely to be changed anytime soon no matter who is Prime Minister. 

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my experience most of the anti abortion and LGBTQ stuff, stems from religious beliefs. Bigotry may be more prevalent in areas like Alberta though, but in BC for the most part most conservatives I know do not resemble the Florida hillbilly republicans most try and make them out to be. Abortion and LGBTQ are issues brought up every election but to be honest I think this country has way bigger issues to address. Abortion and LGBTQ rights on a federal level are not likely to be changed anytime soon no matter who is Prime Minister. 

I feel so much better now knowing we have nothing to worry about.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I feel so much better now knowing we have nothing to worry about.

Good good, we can just relax and enjoy the Canucks game now knowing abortions and gay marriage are still going to be on the table for the foreseeable future. 

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Time will tell, I would still say there's cause for concern though given Pierre's track record on the matter. 

As for bigger issues, I guess that depends on who you ask, but there are certainly other issues that need to be addressed, no question. 

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The common BS on here is that the CPC is full of Trump wannabees or religious nuts. Yet the NDP and unions regularly show that they hate Jews. Crickets. 

• Cheers 2

Wait a tick: the guy who is brilliant campaign strategy is to say over and over these past few weeks that he has no problem using the Notwithstanding Clause as Prime Minister to get around our civil and human rights ...and some of you think Gay marriage and Abortion rights are safe in his party's hands? With him at the helm?> and Religious whackos in his cabinet???????

I was born on a tuesday, but it wasn't last tuesday, NO WAY am i voting for a guy who is openly saying he will curtail our rights with the notwithstanding clause anytime he feels like it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Wait a tick: the guy who is brilliant campaign strategy is to say over and over these past few weeks that he has no problem using the Notwithstanding Clause as Prime Minister to get around our civil and human rights ...and some of you think Gay marriage and Abortion rights are safe in his party's hands? With him at the helm?> and Religious whackos in his cabinet???????

I was born on a tuesday, but it wasn't last tuesday, NO WAY am i voting for a guy who is openly saying he will curtail our rights with the notwithstanding clause anytime he feels like it. 

Let's be honest. There was NO WAY you were voting for him even before this

• ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The common BS on here is that the CPC is full of Trump wannabees or religious nuts. Yet the NDP and unions regularly show that they hate Jews. Crickets. 

No one has said (to my knowledge) that the CPC is full of such people.   IMO there are just too few degrees of separation between them and the CPC.

Can you give some examples as to how the NDP and unions have been regularly showing hate to Jews? 

EDIT - If you reply with examples of statements made against certain policies of the Israeli government I will not accept them as proof of hatred of Jews.

EDT2 - I can understand that some might not agree with my post but I fail to see why it would confuse anybody.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Let's be honest. There was NO WAY you were voting for him even before this

Can't speak for OP, but in my case, you're absolutely correct.

For me the deal breaker was when he stood in solidarity with the Ottawa convoy. And no, I don't think they had a right to shut down a city.

1 hour ago, Spring Salmon said:

But... conservatives are banning books.

Why is that an argument you're willing to have?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Can't speak for OP, but in my case, you're absolutely correct.

For me the deal breaker was when he stood in solidarity with the Ottawa convoy. And no, I don't think they had a right to shut down a city.

Good on you for being honest about it.  If the convoy really was your last straw then that's your choice and I can respect that, even though I fully disagree with you.  I would never tell another person how to vote. 

Myself, I have never voted for the Trudeau liberals. I've never liked him and honestly think he is a moron who got elected because of his last name, weed, and his "looks".   So by me not voting for him again doesn't mean I'm falling for "Skippy PeePees" hate farming or axe the tax rallies. It also doesn't make me a trumper or religious(I'm not).

But by insulting people for voting conservative is not going to work out well for some of you. Ask Hillary about her deplorables comment 

Edited by Spring Salmon
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

But by insulting people for voting conservative is not going to work out well for some of you. Ask Hillary about her deplorables comment 

These insults seem to be flowing both ways SS.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Time will tell, I would still say there's cause for concern though given Pierre's track record on the matter. 

As for bigger issues, I guess that depends on who you ask, but there are certainly other issues that need to be addressed, no question. 

Not as much as cause as people like to think, even if they had a majority government there would not be enough Conservative MPs in favor of axing abortions or gay rights. Seeing as they are all politicians I wouldn't be surprised if more that half of them have a least 1 abortion under their belt. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Good on you for being honest about it.  If the convoy really was your last straw then that's your choice and I can respect that, even though I fully disagree with you.  I would never tell another person how to vote. 

Myself, I have never voted for the Trudeau liberals. I've never liked him and honestly think he is a moron who got elected because of his last name, weed, and his "looks".   So by me not voting for him again doesn't mean I'm falling for "Skippy PeePees" hate farming or axe the tax rallies. It also doesn't make me a trumper or religious(I'm not).

Nor have I. I don't think he's a "moron", but I wasn't particularly enthused when the Liberals chose him as their leader. (I was in the Marc Garneau camp)

That being said, I have preferred him over every opponent the Cons have put up against him and that margin has gotten larger, rather than smaller as I believe the Conservative's choices have gotten successively worse each election cycle.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

No one has said (to my knowledge) that the CPC is full of such people.   IMO there are just too few degrees of separation between them and the CPC.

Can you give some examples as to how the NDP and unions have been regularly showing hate to Jews? 

EDIT - If you reply with examples of statements made against certain policies of the Israeli government I will not accept them as proof of hatred of Jews.

Yeah, @Boudrias is usually even keeled in these discussions, but that claim is just ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Have you ever heard of CUPE president Fred Hahn?

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

Have you ever heard of CUPE president Fred Hahn?

I had not until moments ago.   Sounds like an idiot who has been denounced.   Does his idiocy reflect on all unions and the NDP?

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I had not until moments ago.   Sounds like an idiot who has been denounced.   Does his idiocy reflect on all unions and the NDP?

Not all, but on a lot.  Do you ever read what the NDP or the unions say on twitter?