Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Albertans are Canadians too.
All Canadian taxpayers paid the bill that oil companies were legally obligated to pay and will likely have to do so again in the future.

It's your wording of how you said it. I don't see you saying that in the same manner when it's other provinces receiving a lot more money for different things. None of those provinces contribute near as much as what Alberta does.

Edited by Ryan Strome

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's your wording of how you said it. I don't see you saying that in the same manner when it's other provinces receiving a lot more money for different things. None of those provinces contribute near as much as what Alberta does.

It's not a contest.  It's a country.

43 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It's not a contest.  It's a country.

I completely agree and I imagine this is why Alberta so generously helped British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec during the coronavirus. Alberta donated ventilators, PPE, etc because we are a country and because it isn't a contest.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I completely agree and I imagine this is why Alberta so generously helped British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec during the coronavirus. Alberta donated ventilators, PPE, etc because we are a country and because it isn't a contest.

Ok, I know this is going to sound snippy...

If it's not a contest why are you trying so hard to win points for Alberta? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Ok, I know this is going to sound snippy...

If it's not a contest why are you trying so hard to win points for Alberta? 

I'm not at all but I noticed is when people make derogatory comments towards Alberta. I don't see you pointing out to them that it's not a contest or we are all one country. We are all the same people etc. But when I come to the defense of Alberta you point out to me It's not a contest. We are all one country. If you want me to agree with that, speak up because believe me I'm in the minority here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not at all but I noticed is when people make derogatory comments towards Alberta. I don't see you pointing out to them that it's not a contest or we are all one country. We are all the same people etc. But when I come to the defense of Alberta you point out to me It's not a contest. We are all one country. If you want me to agree with that, speak up because believe me I'm in the minority here.

I'll bet that's happened,   I'd say I haven't seen it, but it's more likely I just haven't noticed due to a bias that I'd be reluctant to admit to.

That's going to happen.   We're human and we are going to have a regional bias amongst all our other flaws.

You should have just stayed in BC and all would have been ok.

Just now, Satchmo said:

I'll bet that's happened,   I'd say I haven't seen it, but it's more likely I just haven't noticed due to a bias that I'd be reluctant to admit to.

That's going to happen.   We're human and we are going to have a regional bias amongst all our other flaws.

Especially when the province is full of Oilers and Flames fans.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I followed the money my man! If I stayed in BC life would have been a lot different I think!

Just now, King Heffy said:

Now this I can get on board with! They are about as obnoxious and ridiculous as Toronto fans! For example, just look at the Oilers. They believe they have a Stanley Cup contending team...

Welcome to game one Edmonton! By chance is 8 your favorite number?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh ok, let me be more clear then. My beef isn’t with Alberta on this, it’s with big oil. I will add that Sask got $400M and BC $120M so I’m po’d that our tax dollars came here as well but I was referencing this with Alberta’s feud with the Feds. Oil & gas companies should be paying their own debts everywhere in Canada.

Meanwhile -

To date, the federal government says that more than 7,135 full-time jobs in B.C., Alberta, and Saskatchewan have been supported, and over 49,000 wells have been addressed. 

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I followed the money my man! If I stayed in BC life would have been a lot different I think!

Me too!  100%

Alberta was very good to me.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hey, they’re Canadians too!

1F2AC1DF-478C-4B17-A948-6FDC02E63E4C.jpeg

89870385-E962-4304-B3B9-597CCE455135.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Now this I can get on board with! They are about as obnoxious and ridiculous as Toronto fans! For example, just look at the Oilers. They believe they have a Stanley Cup contending team...

Welcome to game one Edmonton! By chance is 8 your favorite number?

You mean guys like this?

8F72DC3D-A795-4374-B529-953B57840018.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Oh ok, let me be more clear then. My beef isn’t with Alberta on this, it’s with big oil. I will add that Sask got $400M and BC $120M so I’m po’d that our tax dollars came here as well but I was referencing this with Alberta’s feud with the Feds. Oil & gas companies should be paying their own debts everywhere in Canada.

Meanwhile -

To date, the federal government says that more than 7,135 full-time jobs in B.C., Alberta, and Saskatchewan have been supported, and over 49,000 wells have been addressed. 

Me too!  100%

Alberta was very good to me.

So not that I wanted to defend the liberals like ever!! 🙂

But based on the bolded part you posted, wouldn't that actually be money well spent? By that i mean the federal government pushed its environmental agenda while creating jobs a significant amount of jobs.

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So not that I wanted to defend the liberals like ever!! 🙂

But based on the bolded part you posted, wouldn't that actually be money well spent? By that i mean the federal government pushed its environmental agenda while creating jobs a significant amount of jobs.

That’s a legitimate argument. It certainly came at a time when it could make a difference but overall I’ve never been a fan of bailing out those who are too big to fail. Low interest loans or the like maybe…

Here’s one you may like. I hated the ‘grocery rebate’ that the government handed out. Of course it helped people that needed it but in reality it was just subsidizing the grocery industry while they were overcharging consumers. I would have been ok with it if it was tied to some action by big grocery.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s a legitimate argument. It certainly came at a time when it could make a difference but overall I’ve never been a fan of bailing out those who are too big to fail. Low interest loans or the like maybe…

Here’s one you may like. I hated the ‘grocery rebate’ that the government handed out. Of course it helped people that needed it but in reality it was just subsidizing the grocery industry while they were overcharging consumers. I would have been ok with it if it was tied to some action by big grocery.

So I didn't get any handouts so it's not as if I'm going to take a position one way or the other. But I would agree with you that the solution is just to get the gouging under control not to give people money because they can't afford the groceries because that isn't solving anything and it isn't sustainable. As far as bailouts and handouts I mean I do agree with you. I don't necessarily agree with them as well. I do think people need to recognize. For example, war hippie goes on and on about how we shouldn't have subsidies for oil and gas companies except what I think a few of you guys forget is that most of those subsidies are going directly into investing in newer and greener technologies for the future.

Just look at what the Trudeau government did with Volkswagen. That was the worst possible deal in the history of making deals with auto companies. Volkswagen completely played us! Bottom line though doesn't matter which party it is. They bail out businesses. The list goes on and on. Even Barack Obama thought it was a great idea to bail out the auto industry.

Generally speaking it's to save jobs but what stings about it all Is we find ourselves saying but look how much money they have Why should we give any money to them. I agree with that sentiment, but admittedly it would be hard to look at people knowing they're going to lose their jobs.

I will say one last thing. We see time and time again. People come on here and post how the government should be investing in green technologies for the future. Why should any of my money be invested in that? If it's a successful business model, why does it need our money? These other corporations they use billions of their own dollars or investor dollars to create their businesses and yet the environmentalists want taxpayers to fund the businesses they support.

It's a never-ending argument. 

Edited by Ryan Strome

So sick of all the losers i see in my community flying Canadian Flags from their trucks.  Sickening.

An Ottawa resident working at a downtown church during what became known as the "Freedom Convoy" testified at the criminal trial of two organizers that during the protests demonstrators were urinating and defecating on the property.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/protesters-urinated-defecated-on-church-property-convoy-trial-hears-1.6993786

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

OK lets not go too far with this. No one did anything out of generosity. 

10 minutes ago, moosehead said:

So sick of all the losers i see in my community flying Canadian Flags from their trucks.  Sickening.

An Ottawa resident working at a downtown church during what became known as the "Freedom Convoy" testified at the criminal trial of two organizers that during the protests demonstrators were urinating and defecating on the property.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/protesters-urinated-defecated-on-church-property-convoy-trial-hears-1.6993786

they desperately want this to be a legal event. When these clowns get convicted they'll blame "activist courts" or whatever other US-sounding term they can find to justify pooping on a church lawn. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sorry, compassion.

I think thats more accurate, thanks. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Well, at least they moved on from the National War Memorial.

@King Heffy 

This is a good as place as any to continue our discussion on homelessness

27 percent of homeless people are women. 

I in 4 native Canadians are homeless.

1 in every 7 children/ youth are homeless. 

The number of veterans who are homeless is growing every year. 

These people are to use your words " not productive members of your society " 

https://www.fredvictor.org/2019/06/07/homeless-in-canada-important-facts-about-homelessness/

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

@King Heffy 

https://www.fredvictor.org/2019/06/07/homeless-in-canada-important-facts-about-homelessness/

I'm all for helping those who will genuinely accept help and are willing to work to help themselves as well.  I do, however, want there to be a genuine path away from assistance where possible and would prefer prioritizing helping those given the assumption that resources are limited.

36 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

@King Heffy 

A little good news. We need to put more money in these kinds of projects.

North

'A paradigm shift': Liard First Nation tackles housing crisis with timber home kits, new production plant

'My vision is that we become the 1st First Nation north of 60 without a housing crisis,' says chief

Fifteen unique kit-set timber homes have sprung up in the forest outside Watson Lake, Yukon, created by — and for — members of the Liard First Nation (LFN).

The project, run by the First Nation's economic development corporation First Kaska, is being billed as a game changer. 

The frame parts are cut on-site at a brand new production plant, with three different floor plans available. 

It takes five days to prepare the frame for each house and just one day to piece the numbered frame parts together on the building site. 

Watson Lake is grappling with a housing crisis, and LFN Chief Stephen Charlie said the project is "a paradigm shift."

Tthe project eliminates the supply chain issues that make it difficult to build new homes, he said.

Charlie said it's created about 50 jobs and will go a long way toward ensuring the well-being and long-term security of his people.

"It's a complete cycle. It's a benefit for our whole community and people and nation in the process. My vision is that we become the first First Nation north of 60 without a housing crisis. Just think of the legacy that's going to be established for future generations — that we don't have to worry about housing," he said. 

"We're taking control of our own destiny … and it's not just the First Nation that it's moving forward, it's the whole community as well." 

Liard First Nation member Mike Gagnon said the chance to train and work as a carpenter on the project turned his son's life around. Gagnon said his son had gone from a battle with leukemia and heavy use of alcohol to a good job and savings.  

"He's just taken it and run with it. I'm really proud of him," he said. 

A former builder himself, Gagnon said the houses were among the warmest and toughest he'd seen.

They feature 20 centimetres of insulation in the walls and almost 23 in the roof. 

"I've never seen it. And these are well-built homes. As you can see, these are well-constructed. They're well-organized. You look at the floor plans and these are unreal. These homes — you ain't ever going to get a better one. And this is all because of Stephen [Charlie]."

First Kaska hopes to complete the first 15 homes by the end of the year and six more after that.

They will be given to members of the Liard First Nation who most need them, including young families and people living in crowded situations. 

"That's 21 homes. That's probably like 60 people that can be alleviated from bad situations," Charlie said. 

Eventually, Charlie said, the goal would be to demolish and replace other mouldy or derelict homes that members are living in. 

First Kaska plans to scale up its production plant, allowing it to produce frames in just one day. 

That would create a surplus of supply, Charlie said, meaning First Kaska could begin to supply the frames to other communities across the North.

Charlie said some other First Nations have already expressed interest. 

• Huggy Bear 2