Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.b2f0704c33a67179c593d43aecc61150.jpeg

'I’m admittedly busting some balls in here for my own entertainment.'

Having fun yet NH?  If trolling doesn't do the trick you could try bowling.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

Your showing common conservative  tendencies. Alt right politics dictates they must be the victim at all times. Anything and everything they don't agree with has harmed them and by extension all of Canada and everything sacred

It's ok to say you like or dislike anything you wish to do so. Opinion pieces and the social Media clips from any party are opinions and party propoganda designed to slant the message to their favour

Google PP sucks and Truduea sucks and you'll get an equal number of opinion write ups and party supporters shocking tik Tok videos  ....  None of them should be taken as anything more than what they really are ..... One person's opinion

Alt right 

lmao

Anyone who isn’t part of the extreme left is now alt right we know 

dude read the room (Canada and globally)

The extreme left is the fringe minority 

again for the last time since you’re all too scared to read it 

there is a poll from abacus 

linked in the article 

you can also use google to find it 

i posted it three times 

data doesn’t lie 

ffs the level of mental gymnastics, avoidance and denial here is bordering on insanity 

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. However, that first statement is incorrect. There are some that still think Trudeau can win and want him to win. 

Eh, chalk me up as thinking the ideal outcome is a Conservative minority until Trudeau is replaced.

5 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Alt right 

lmao

Anyone who’s who isn’t part of the extreme left is now alt right we know 

dude read the room (Canada and globally)

The extreme left is the fringe minority 

again for the last time since you’re all too scared to read it 

there is a poll from abacus 

linked in the article 

you can also use google to find it 

i posted it three times 

data doesn’t lie 

ffs the level of mental gymnastics avoidance and denial here is bordering on insanity 

Your need to be a victim has you disengaged from reality 

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

There isn't a serious discussion only tag on this, so anything goes. Until then, we can expect this quality of discussion, which is the point of disinformation campaigns and propaganda.

I don't blame you for not having one though @Sharpshooter, haha herding these cats is a full time job.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

20 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

'I’m admittedly busting some balls in here for my own entertainment.'

Having fun yet NH?  If trolling doesn't do the trick you could try bowling.

The depth of this is brilliant. You can argue how it happened if you like but if you were brought over from 2015 in a Time Machine it’s the first thing you’d notice hahaha. 
The drama teacher

The ranting

The elementary kids intently watching. 

So good. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That's a real knee-slapper Noheart....

Now do that hilarious one about his marriage break-up....

We all know why his marriage broke up. 

• Haha 1
  • Wiener 1

New report says 1 in 4 Canadians may be living in poverty (msn.com)

New report says 1 in 4 Canadians may be living in poverty

A new report from Food Banks Canada suggests the number of Canadians living in poverty may be higher than previously thought, with the organization estimating 25 per cent could fall under this category because they cannot afford two or more household essentials.

The report, released Tuesday, introduced what the authors call a material deprivation index (MDI) — a metric used in Europe to measure a poverty level standard of living.

Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, says the MDI distinguishes between individuals who cannot afford a certain good or service, and those who do not have this good or service because they don't want it.

"We should continue to prioritize poverty reduction," Richard Matern, Food Banks Canada director of research, told Global News. "Many more people are feeling the impacts of poverty."

According to Food Banks Canada, the MDI looks at 11 types of essential items Canadians surveyed said they could not afford.

That includes 10 per cent unable to afford clothing or 18 per cent unable to pay for dental care.

From this, the report's authors suggest 25 per cent Canadians likely would fall under a poverty-level standard of living because they could not afford two or more of such essentials. The report's methodology means 10 million of Canada's 40 million people are living in poverty, compared with four million people as reported by Statistics Canada.

Matern said the report also looked at other indicators like food insecurity, reported economic distress, self-reported income adequacy and their actual level of income.

"It's very striking," Matern said.

"When you combine all these four indicators, it basically highlighted statistically that two or more items were most representative of the majority of people experiencing struggles in those other areas as well. So essentially what we call the threshold."

When assessing poverty in Canada, the "poverty line" is often referenced by determining an income level for households.

Statistics Canada uses a model, as Matern referenced, called the Market Basket Measure to define poverty, which means that a family is considered to be living in poverty if they cannot afford a modest, basic standard of living which includes the costs of food, clothing and footwear, transportation, shelter and other expenses.

But Matern says having assets or debt, living in the same apartment with below-market rent, having a disability or even moving into new housing with above-market rent can all impact the standard of living.

Under that metric, the report said nearly 10 per cent of Canadians currently live in poverty, but authors of the report and those who helped in its development say looking at more than just the "poverty line" could help improve outreach.

"Developing and maintaining an MDI alongside existing income-based poverty measures could provide the government with deeper insights to enhance programs to reach more of those experiencing food insecurity," said Sarah Stern, the executive director of the Maple Leaf Centre for Food Security, which helped support the report, in a statement.

When it comes to who falls under the MDI as living in poverty, single-parent families and those aged between 18 and 30 were at the top at 44.5 per cent and 30 per cent, respectively. As well, 42 per cent of renters also experience being unable to afford two or more household essentials and live in a poverty-level standard of living.

The report suggests "poverty may be more extensive and possibly more multifaceted than it appears when viewed only via an income-based poverty line."

— with files from The Canadian Press

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A new report from Food Banks Canada suggests the number of Canadians living in poverty may be higher than previously thought, with the organization estimating 25 per cent could fall under this category because they cannot afford two or more household essentials.

The report, released Tuesday, introduced what the authors call a material deprivation index (MDI) — a metric used in Europe to measure a poverty level standard of living.

Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, says the MDI distinguishes between individuals who cannot afford a certain good or service, and those who do not have this good or service because they don't want it.

"We should continue to prioritize poverty reduction," Richard Matern, Food Banks Canada director of research, told Global News. "Many more people are feeling the impacts of poverty."

According to Food Banks Canada, the MDI looks at 11 types of essential items Canadians surveyed said they could not afford.

That includes 10 per cent unable to afford clothing or 18 per cent unable to pay for dental care.

From this, the report's authors suggest 25 per cent Canadians likely would fall under a poverty-level standard of living because they could not afford two or more of such essentials. The report's methodology means 10 million of Canada's 40 million people are living in poverty, compared with four million people as reported by Statistics Canada.

Matern said the report also looked at other indicators like food insecurity, reported economic distress, self-reported income adequacy and their actual level of income.

"When you combine all these four indicators, it basically highlighted statistically that two or more items were most representative of the majority of people experiencing struggles in those other areas as well. So essentially what we call the threshold."

When assessing poverty in Canada, the "poverty line" is often referenced by determining an income level for households.

Statistics Canada uses a model, as Matern referenced, called the Market Basket Measure to define poverty, which means that a family is considered to be living in poverty if they cannot afford a modest, basic standard of living which includes the costs of food, clothing and footwear, transportation, shelter and other expenses.

But Matern says having assets or debt, living in the same apartment with below-market rent, having a disability or even moving into new housing with above-market rent can all impact the standard of living.

Under that metric, the report said nearly 10 per cent of Canadians currently live in poverty, but authors of the report and those who helped in its development say looking at more than just the "poverty line" could help improve outreach.

"Developing and maintaining an MDI alongside existing income-based poverty measures could provide the government with deeper insights to enhance programs to reach more of those experiencing food insecurity," said Sarah Stern, the executive director of the Maple Leaf Centre for Food Security, which helped support the report, in a statement.

When it comes to who falls under the MDI as living in poverty, single-parent families and those aged between 18 and 30 were at the top at 44.5 per cent and 30 per cent, respectively. As well, 42 per cent of renters also experience being unable to afford two or more household essentials and live in a poverty-level standard of living.

The report suggests "poverty may be more extensive and possibly more multifaceted than it appears when viewed only via an income-based poverty line."

I’ll preempt! 

SOURCE!!!!!! Give me the source!!!!!

oh I don’t like the source!!! So it’s a lie!!! 

and I won’t read the article Or learn the facts before I say it’s a lie 

am I doing it right? 😂 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

The depth of this is brilliant. You can argue how it happened if you like but if you were brought over from 2015 in a Time Machine it’s the first thing you’d notice hahaha. 
The drama teacher

The ranting

The elementary kids intently watching. 

So good. 

Tell me again what Poilivre did for a living before going into politics.

4 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I’ll preempt! 

SOURCE!!!!!! Give me the source!!!!!

oh I don’t like the source!!! So it’s a lie!!! 

and I won’t read the article Or learn the facts before I say it’s a lie 

am I doing it right? 😂 

No.  Nothing wrong with posting an article from an accredited news source, although the mods have asked us not to paste the entire article in the past.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sad statistics but at least we can be assured that a new Conservative government would fix matters.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Tell me again what Poilivre did for a living before going into politics.

Are you legitimately trying to argue Pollievre is less intelligent than a guy who couldn’t finish an undergraduate degree, who was a failed drama teacher, and spent more time as snowboard / ski instructor?  😂 

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Are you legitimately trying to argue Pollievre is less intelligent than a guy who couldn’t finish an undergraduate degree, who was a failed drama teacher, and spent more time as snowboard / ski instructor?  😂 

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Again, what did Poilivre do for a living before going into politics?  It's a simple question.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Sad statistics but at least we can be assured that a new Conservative government would fix matters.

Stats Can said it was only 10%.  25% is quite a bit different and quite frankly more believable.

The question you need to ask yourself is not what a new Conservative government will do to fix this mess.  The question you need to ask yourself is why the current government allowed it to get to this point in the first place...

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stats Can said it was only 10%.  25% is quite a bit different and quite frankly more believable.

The question you need to ask yourself is not what a new Conservative government will do to fix this mess.  The question you need to ask yourself is why the current government allowed it to get to this point in the first place...

When hiring for a job to run a company, should a company ask what the candidates vision is, or just hire some the first applicant who isn't the previous guy?

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Again, what did Poilivre do for a living before going into politics?  It's a simple question.

Don’t know

don’t care 

I know he’s in politics now and a lot smarter than the PM who’s a spoiled brat, sociopathic narcissist and has a IQ of under 60 

and that’s all that matters 

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When hiring for a job to run a company, should a company ask what the candidates vision is, or just hire some the first applicant who isn't the previous guy?

Well given the job isn’t being a ski instructor or failed drama teacher it seems anything is better than what we have! 

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Don’t know

don’t care 

I know he’s in politics now and a lot smarter than the PM who’s a spoiled brat, sociopathic narcissist and has a IQ of under 60 

Well… PP is smarter than Trump not that that’s saying much. 

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2024 at 6:08 PM, Optimist Prime said:

TO be clear: red is right out, orange is red for psuedo-intellectuals. Yellow is just silly and not encouraged. We have a lot of green which I find somewhat dumb, but doesn't break our rules. Aqua is a good base line for any future posts. Blue and Purple are rare and epic ways to debate, where ever possible be blue and purple. 

r/entp - Debate like a well functioning human being

So based on the above chart, not sure whether this type of commentary below falls under the "red", "orange", or "green" zone.

Don’t know

don’t care 

elmo-die.gif

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

Well given the job isn’t being a ski instructor or failed drama teacher it seems anything is better than what we have! 

Maybe someone who's actually had a job would be a good start.  A neo-Nazi nutjob with no work experience and who has articulated no constructive ideas most certainly is not an upgrade.