Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

This makes me nervous.

Autonomous warfare via drones and even Australias new ghost shark subs are the way to go and spending bllions on subs and billions more to maintain them is a frightening thing to consider and entirely backwards to how things are progressing.  

Modern militaries need to look forward as far as possible or else large expenditures like this among NATO nations will see them spending their budgets on yesterdays toys

Canada definitely plans to move forward with the purchase of new submarines, the federal government announced on the margins of the NATO Summit on Wednesday.

Up to now, the government has spoken only about the possibility of replacing the aging Victoria-class boats. But in the face of mounting criticism of Canada's defence spending by allies — notably the United States — Ottawa has given the proposal the green light.

A senior government official, speaking on background, said they could not confirm how much the plan will cost, how many boats will be purchased or when they will arrive.

The submarine construction program will be separate from the National Shipbuilding Strategy because no shipyards in Canada currently have the capacity or technology to build sophisticated sub-surface vessels.

Defence Minister Bill Blair announced Wednesday that Canada "is taking the first step towards the procurement of up to 12 conventionally-powered, under-ice capable submarines."

He said the federal government is formally launching the process to find out what submarine builders can offer.

"Through the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project (CPSP), Canada will acquire a larger, modernized submarine fleet to enable the Royal Canadian Navy to covertly detect and deter maritime threats, control our maritime approaches, project power and striking capability further from our shores, and project a persistent deterrent on all three coasts," Blair said in a media statement.

The Department of National Defence is in the process of meeting with manufacturers and potential partners, Blair added.

"A formal Request for Information (RFI) will be posted in fall 2024 to gain further information on the procurement, construction, delivery and operational capabilities of potential bidders who can build submarines for Canada," the minister said.

"This RFI will also seek to gain information which will enable the establishment of a submarine sustainment capability in Canada."

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This will upset people I am sure.  Going from woke to warrior before Pierre can do his thing.  Darn

Following a blizzard of criticism from allies — most notably the United States — the Liberal government announced Thursday that it hopes to meet NATO's military investment benchmark of two per cent of alliance members' gross domestic products by 2032.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the statement at the close of the alliance's annual summit in Washington.

While the prime minister didn't say precisely how the Liberal government intends to reach the goal, both his defence and foreign affairs ministers have for weeks hinted that uncosted, unapproved elements of the new defence policy will push the country up to and possibly past the two per cent mark.

The government has committed to a regular cycle of defence reviews. The next one is set for 2028. 

"We will continue to explore opportunities that will further increase defence spending and advance Canada's strategic interests," Trudeau said.

Defence Minister Bill Blair has said repeatedly over the past few months that he's been hoping to share a verifiable plan with NATO allies — who have been increasingly vocal about their disappointment in Canada's failure to accelerate its investments in defence.

The announcement of a timeline without details is unlikely to quell allies' criticism — especially now that some of them, including Poland, are calling for the benchmark to be moved even higher.

Fed goverment just relased a request for interest to submarine builders- up to 12 according to Defence Minister Blair.

edit- drones could also be controlled by the proposed subs.

Edited by Gurn

5 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Literally search it up and you’ll see a massive amount of articles on it. The thing that people don’t understand about the far right is that it’s silent. Progressives are always crying and calling everyone out and conservatives are far more reserved. It’s just like when trump surprisingly won the election. Nobody knew the silent conservatives were hiding in the weeds. All of these conservative landslide wins in Europe are all huge surprises as well. Here in Canada, it’s not even a secret when you see how the conservatives are polling, which tells me there are even more silently sitting in the weeds. We are going to see a blue wipeout like we’ve never seen before. 

look at the election results. 

Look at election results where?  If you are saying the cons will win Canada's next election I think you may be correct. Doesn't make it a good idea or more than a knee jerk reaction (IMHO).

If you are going to blanketly refer to liberal/NDP voters as progressives I'm going to question your understanding of any of those terms.  If you are going to tell me what those groups always do or act I'm going to question you. 

None of the comments you make regarding Canada make any of your international comments true.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You proved nothing, my being incredulous at such a ridiculously and easily disproved statement does not justify your position mate.

It would ave been akin to saying Chicago had the best chance to win the cup to start last season.  Just because you say it doesn't make it true

A guy with a sticker on the back of his truck isn’t the silent majority that his tired of all the progressive bullshit that’s filling the streets with homeless drug addicted people in the prime of their lives and all the insane political correctness and they/them/ Zer, I’m a cat, open the boarders, don’t say this, regulate that. Everyone is done. 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

I’m talking about the growth of right wing support in Europe. It’s unprecedented. 

It's pretty strongly precedented in the 1930s.  The two most recent elections also do not support your claim.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Literally search it up and you’ll see a massive amount of articles on it. The thing that people don’t understand about the far right is that it’s silent. Progressives are always crying and calling everyone out and conservatives are far more reserved. It’s just like when trump surprisingly won the election. Nobody knew the silent conservatives were hiding in the weeds. All of these conservative landslide wins in Europe are all huge surprises as well. Here in Canada, it’s not even a secret when you see how the conservatives are polling, which tells me there are even more silently sitting in the weeds. We are going to see a blue wipeout like we’ve never seen before. 

See, here's the thing. If you want to have an actual discussion you provide facts, not tell the other person to look it up. I can't look up what you're looking at, so no way to know if I'm looking at the same place your information comes from. Which means to me your argument is flat. 

And silent conservatives? Where are they? Because I hear them ranting all the time......

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

And I just proved my point. 

it’s no different then having to walk on rainbow crosswalks 

If walking on rainbow crosswalks is so difficult for you, I would suggest crossing where there isn't one.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

A guy with a sticker on the back of his truck isn’t the silent majority that his tired of all the progressive bullshit that’s filling the streets with homeless drug addicted people in the prime of their lives and all the insane political correctness and they/them/ Zer, I’m a cat, open the boarders, don’t say this, regulate that. Everyone is done. 

Everyone is done

You don't speak for everyone.  The silent majority or the whining minority that permeates todays conservative brand.

The "homeless drug addicted" statement you made, is almost universally the issue and fault of provincial governments.  In Canada since 2015 no less than 8 provinces have been consistently governed by Conservative parties.  

What political correctness are you speaking of?  I'd actually like you to point out or indicate what you mean in your words about this.

3 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

If walking on rainbow crosswalks is so difficult for you, I would suggest crossing where there isn't one.

His "reserved nature" at the sight of a rainbow crosswalk indicates that they do just that

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

His "reserved nature" at the sight of a rainbow crosswalk indicates that they do just that

But whatever shall they do if there are nothing but rainbow crosswalks? How will the law-abiding conservative be able to cross the street to get to buy his F Trudea flag?

The horror... The inhumanity....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What political correctness are you speaking of?  I'd actually like you to point out or indicate what you mean in your words about this.

I'm also curious about this, but I think we all know the answer to this one....

35 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

look at the election results. 

I actually agree with you on the rise of the right wing views among the youth. Maybe not on the scale but its noticeable. But Conservatives being more reserved?

The youtube rage algorithms and the amount of "get woke go broke" bros, not to mention a few recently banned far right accounts in the last few months says otherwise. 

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

You’re very wrong. It’s well documented that a large percentage of the youth today is becoming conservative. I even see it in real time here in salmon arm with my kids and their friends. I’m not talking right leaning center, I’m talking as far right as you can possibly go. The progressive narrative has been shoved down this younger generation’s throat for so long that they’ve had enough of it. This progressive movement has had the opposite effect on our youth today. Never have I seen young people more homophobic and racist. I remember when I was a teenager my demographic was far more progressive than it is today. The left is fixing to get wiped out all over the world. You see it happening in all countries. 

Sorry what am I wrong about? The discussion was how much of today's economic, environmental etc problems are largely due to decisions, laws/regulations, purchasing and voting habits of boomers. No idea with what that has to do with "youth moving right".

Canadian finance minister could walk the plank. Mark Carney could be tapped

• Chrystia Freeland could be shuffled out of cabinet

A report in the Globe and Mail reports that the relationship between Canadian PM Trudeau and finance minister Chrystia Freeland has become tense and that a cabinet shuffle could be coming.

"Senior officials in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office are concerned that Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has not been effective in delivering an upbeat economic message as the Liberal government struggles to reconnect with Canadians amid low approval ratings, sources say," the report says.

The Prime Minister is polling dreadfully but doesn't have to call an election until November 2025 so long as the left-wing NDP continues to support his Liberal party.

The report (and another one in the Toronto Star) says that former BOC and BOE Governor Mark Carney could be tapped to replace Freeland. He's not an MP but neither was Michael Wilson, who served as Minister of Finance from 1984 to 1991 under Prime Minister Brian Mulroney. Wilson was first unelected and held the position but was later elected in a by-election.

I strongly suspect that Carney could have the position if he wanted it but I'm not sure he wants to latch himself to a ship that's surely sinking. However he may be seduced by freedom to craft a new budget that marks a different path and would set himself up to succeed Trudeau.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does it burn your feet, or do the jackboots protect you?

• Haha 1

I’m talking about the growth of right wing support in Europe. It’s unprecedented. 

Unprecedented? :classic_huh:

Have you ever heard of 1930's Germany?

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Does it burn your feet, or do the jackboots protect you?

Should we really take anyone seriously if a rainbow makes them this sensitive?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Anyone offended by a rainbow crosswalk is a moron. A person would have to be remarkably stupid on multiple levels.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

A report in the Globe and Mail reports that the relationship between Canadian PM Trudeau and finance minister Chrystia Freeland has become tense and that a cabinet shuffle could be coming.

"Senior officials in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office are concerned that Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has not been effective in delivering an upbeat economic message as the Liberal government struggles to reconnect with Canadians amid low approval ratings, sources say," the report says.

The Prime Minister is polling dreadfully but doesn't have to call an election until November 2025 so long as the left-wing NDP continues to support his Liberal party.

The report (and another one in the Toronto Star) says that former BOC and BOE Governor Mark Carney could be tapped to replace Freeland. He's not an MP but neither was Michael Wilson, who served as Minister of Finance from 1984 to 1991 under Prime Minister Brian Mulroney. Wilson was first unelected and held the position but was later elected in a by-election.

I strongly suspect that Carney could have the position if he wanted it but I'm not sure he wants to latch himself to a ship that's surely sinking. However he may be seduced by freedom to craft a new budget that marks a different path and would set himself up to succeed Trudeau.

It's not about the message....telling us we're still floundering with a smile or a frown doesn't change the data.

We need a viable plan that doesn't involve or revolve around mere resource extraction and wholesale.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Anyone offended by a rainbow crosswalk is a moron. A person would have to be remarkably stupid on multiple levels.

Well.....that same person thinks that the rise of the far right in Europe is "unprecedented", so.....If not remarkably stupid, at the very least remarkable ill-informed.

I'm also betting that the person's History grades were remarkably bad....

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Her firing is long overdue.  Have the Liberals learned their lesson yet that appointing cabinet ministers without credentials isn't a good plan?

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

It's not about the message....telling us we're still floundering with a smile or a frown doesn't change the data.

We need a viable plan that doesn't involve or revolve around mere resource extraction and wholesale.

Interesting angle here tho. Technically you can hold a ministry position without being elected. So they could preview Carney well before the next election.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Well.....that same person thinks that the rise of the far right in Europe is "unprecedented", so.....If not remarkably stupid, at the very least remarkable ill-informed.

I'm also betting that the person's History grades were remarkably bad....

I took his post to mean others in his community, not himself.