Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm all for helping those who will genuinely accept help and are willing to work to help themselves as well.  I do, however, want there to be a genuine path away from assistance where possible and would prefer prioritizing helping those given the assumption that resources are limited.

A compassionate/ just society is judged by how it looks after its most vulnerable members. 

Edit

Forgot to add, those are the words I hear from right wing nut job politicians over here in Aus when discussing this subject.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

A compassionate/ just society is judged by how it looks after its most vulnerable members. 

Edit

Forgot to add, those are the words I hear from right wing nut job politicians over here in Aus when discussing this subject.

I lean right on this particular issue.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I lean right on this particular issue.

So you are happy with women and children being homeless ?

Veterans ?

Native Americans ? 

I lean towards to giving a f#ck about people less fortunate than myself.

I can't find the information about homelessness/ poverty that is available to me about the same subject here in Aus.

And my personal experiences.

Here's one, when I was still living with my ex, I used to take my son on a bike ride to the park.

There was a big carpark behind some buildings where I discovered a woman living in her car with her kids.

I gave her all the money I had on me at the time.

Here's another, a guy sleeping under a bridge near the footy oval was elderly guy that had lost his job and his home and had nowhere to go.

And guess what domestic violence is the main cause of homelessness for women 

https://www.sbs.com.au/voices/article/a-tragic-reality-domestic-violence-is-the-main-cause-of-homelessness-for-women/pftu1wnsi

The main causes of homelessness in my home state of Victoria are financial difficulties, domestic violence and the housing crisis.

https://chp.org.au/about-homelessness/causes-of-homelessness/

I am willing to bet the same reasons are applicable in BC.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

The main causes of homelessness in my home state of Victoria are financial difficulties, domestic violence and the housing crisis.

https://chp.org.au/about-homelessness/causes-of-homelessness/

I am willing to bet the same reasons are applicable in BC.

A recent study where I live listed the most common causes as mental health issues, learning disabilities, and drug addition.  It would be difficult for such people to just 'get off their butts and get a job'.  I'm sure financial difficulties, domestic violence and the housing crisis also come into play.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/supreme-court-richard-wagner-impact-assessment-act-1.6993720

For all of you guys that supported it over the years. Thank goodness for the supreme court of Canada!!

Trudeau and c69 bye bye!! Unconstitutional AF

@Bob Long discuss.

It's an assessment not a binding ruling.

It helps to know this.  While these rulings do have serious merit it also means that this could find the new pipeline dead in the water should BC challenge it under this assessment as it encroaches against BCs provincial rights.

Careful not to step on any tacks or anything doing your little dance

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

It's an assessment not a binding ruling.

It helps to know this.  While these rulings do have serious merit it also means that this could find the new pipeline dead in the water should BC challenge it under this assessment as it encroaches against BCs provincial rights.

Careful not to step on any tacks or anything doing your little dance

Actually it was deemed unconstitutional and the environment minister has already come out and said they will respect the decision and only infringe on things that have a federal matter to it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually it was deemed unconstitutional and the environment minister has already come out and said they will respect the decision and only infringe on things that have a federal matter to it.

One has to respect both the letter of the law and the common sense approach of not being willing to drag it out after a ruling of this nature.

The ruling was part of a "reference case," which involves the provincial and federal governments asking courts for advisory opinions.

It doesn't mean the law is now off the books — a ruling such as this from the Supreme Court of Canada is not necessarily binding, but is traditionally treated as being binding by governments, noted David Wright, an associate professor in the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

One has to respect both the letter of the law and the common sense approach of not being willing to drag it out after a ruling of this nature.

The ruling was part of a "reference case," which involves the provincial and federal governments asking courts for advisory opinions.

It doesn't mean the law is now off the books — a ruling such as this from the Supreme Court of Canada is not necessarily binding, but is traditionally treated as being binding by governments, noted David Wright, an associate professor in the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary.

Exactly so obviously you can see why I'm so happy with this ruling and the response from the environment minister.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/supreme-court-richard-wagner-impact-assessment-act-1.6993720

For all of you guys that supported it over the years. Thank goodness for the supreme court of Canada!!

Trudeau and c69 bye bye!! Unconstitutional AF

@Bob Long discuss.

well there it is then, the feds must respect this decision or lose all credibility with every province.

For me, I think its actually good news. As you know I am very pro-industry most of the time so if the feds - which it appears they certainly were - have been overstepping then yeah, they need to stop.

I'm less concerned about oil because I think that market is kind of set going forward in terms of production, and I'm glad this legislation won't get in the way of more rare earth mining projects.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

well there it is then, the feds must respect this decision or lose all credibility with every province.

For me, I think its actually good news. As you know I am very pro-industry most of the time so if the feds - which it appears they certainly were - have been overstepping then yeah, they need to stop.

I'm less concerned about oil because I think that market is kind of set going forward in terms of production, and I'm glad this legislation won't get in the way of more rare earth mining projects.

I understand we have some movement towards extracting more lithium in Manitoba and Ontario.  I'd love to see Canada become a leading supplier of ethically sourced lithium.  Even better if we can subsidize battery manufacturers and create jobs up the supply chain.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I understand we have some movement towards extracting more lithium in Manitoba and Ontario.  I'd love to see Canada become a leading supplier of ethically sources lithium.  Even better if we can subsidize battery manufacturers and create jobs up the supply chain.

100%. Last thing we need is stupid legislation getting in the way of a new industry in Canada. 

There's a good piece over at The Conversation that discusses about why Canada isn't in much threat of a legal system takeover via Supreme Court of Canada, but how the notwithstanding clause can potentially create problems down the road.  Just leaving the URL here because trying to format the copied/pasted text is a nightmare.

https://theconversation.com/its-time-to-banish-the-notwithstanding-clause-the-slow-killer-of-canadas-rule-of-law-215106

What I can foresee for myself is that I probably won't be around on this earth to see a constitutional amendment that changes the powers of the notwithstanding clause, given the high threshold it needs to clear before anything on the Constitution can be changed, but I'm definitely thinking that there will be many problems that will arise due to continued and persistent use (justified or otherwise) of the notwithstanding clause, and it will become fully apparent that use of the notwithstanding clause will become overtly casual to all legislatures and Parliament within my lifetime.

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, I figure this is the reason the court (was allowed to) struck it down. probably would interfere with some plans in Quebec or maybe Ontario. All the stuff that pertains to Alberta will still be good to go if things unfold as they are preordained to. So yeah, tacks are sure to be there.

Justin doesn't need this act anymore regardless, he has killed any meaningful expansion of the energy industry by throwing away 30+ billion moving anthills around for trans mountain. Typical government project.

Edited by Calamity K
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well, I'm glad we all equally hate Bill c69. I don't recall that being the case in the past, but I'm just glad that we all agree on that!!

Thank god for an activist court eh?

I kid. Provincial jurisdiction is something JT has to tread lightly on. He did get a win on healthcare so best not to push things too far. And Canada needs the projects.

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:03 AM, Bob Long said:

you know, we do kind of have that in Canada. The provinces and cities have a ton of power, much more than the feds in many cases when it comes to your daily living issues.

Sure we vote 1/4 years for the feds, but we get many voting opportunities provincially and municipally, and many opportunities to get involved and help guide policy, particularly at the municipal level. 

who cares if some other country thinks something is funny? part of being a mature country is to not GAF what others think or overreact. Every country goes through periods of silly shit. 

Yeah good points. I think this is kind of a philosophical thing. If your principals are adherence to certain beliefs then you want maximal control in order to move towards that aim, if your principal is more-so individual rights/liberty for your people then your looking more towards decentralization & letting the chips fall where they may.

Also I'd say giving a literal nazi a standing ovation isnt merely silly shit (not saying you believe that). I do get where your coming from and I do generally agree, I don't really care I just want our country & our people to be as prosperous as possible, but we don't seem to be achieving that & we are a laughing stock. Feels like a time for reflection maybe. (And I'm not pretending PP is the answer FWIW) 

On 10/8/2023 at 9:23 AM, moosehead said:

Sorry but do some research.  Canada does not even make the list for countries with   highest tax rates.  

You need to travel more and see what is like in other countries.       If you want to live in a country with lower taxes, move to  the USA.   You get what you pay for....

Ignore most of what I said, and ascribe things I didn't say. Lol

I never said Canada was the highest, to get more specific the current gov't has gone forward with increasing their carbon tax - which inflates the price of nearly everything given - despite the worldwide increase in cost of living & Canadians struggling. 

You don't have to be in the worst situation ever to think things could be a bit better, alot of people in our country are working hard yet still struggling at the moment.

"You get what you pay for"; our healthcare system isn't doing so hot here either - as an example. Sure its easy to criticize the US that's fair, but at the same time its not exactly Utopia here. Pot meets kettle on that one imo. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah good points. I think this is kind of a philosophical thing. If your principals are adherence to certain beliefs then you want maximal control in order to move towards that aim, if your principal is more-so individual rights/liberty for your people then your looking more towards decentralization & letting the chips fall where they may.

yep I get that. What I'd ask a true libertarian is how do we provide something like healthcare? 

Also I'd say giving a literal nazi a standing ovation isnt merely silly shit (not saying you believe that).

I just think it was an honest, really stupid, mistake by the Speaker. I think he saw an opportunity to create a moment in the House, and man did he ever. Moron. 

I do get where your coming from and I do generally agree, I don't really care I just want our country & our people to be as prosperous as possible, but we don't seem to be achieving that & we are a laughing stock. Feels like a time for reflection maybe. (And I'm not pretending PP is the answer FWIW) 

I don't think PP is the answer either. I don't vote for the Liberals right now because I love everything they do, they just do more (or less depending on the issue) of what I see as important than the CPC. I am disappointed in their approach to innovation in Canada, we're wasting so many opportunities. 

For me the CPC/PP is hurting Canada by focusing on high anxiety/low return issues, like scaring parents at the expense of LGBTQ+ kids, or nonsensical ideas on inflation. We deserve much better than what PP is coming up with. 

Add to that, I can't stand it when the CPCs try to interfere in people's lives on fundamental rights issues like choice and other issues, I just can't support that. 

I'm hoping that this turns into a real party, I haven't had the chance to vote for something along these lines in a long time:https://www.ourcanadianfuture.ca

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:59 AM, Bob Long said:

yep I get that. What I'd ask a true libertarian is how do we provide something like healthcare? 

Anything really. 

"Libertarianism" doesn't really work in a large, complex society with shared interests and needs.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:59 AM, Bob Long said:

I don't think PP is the answer either. I don't vote for the Liberals right now because I love everything they do, they just do more (or less depending on the issue) of what I see as important than the CPC. I am disappointed in their approach to innovation in Canada, we're wasting so many opportunities. 

For me the CPC/PP is hurting Canada by focusing on high anxiety/low return issues, like scaring parents at the expense of LGBTQ+ kids, or nonsensical ideas on inflation. We deserve much better than what PP is coming up with. 

Add to that, I can't stand it when the CPCs try to interfere in people's lives on fundamental rights issues like choice and other issues, I just can't support that. 

I'm hoping that this turns into a real party, I haven't had the chance to vote for something along these lines in a long time:https://www.ourcanadianfuture.ca

Amen. Great post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Great news isn't it?

It's too bad that American disinformation is able to sway Canadians so much to want to hurt their own industries. I'm hopeful that Canadian see through this and stand together and promote all our industries. While that may change in the future, even the politician I dislike the most agrees we should make money while we can.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Great news isn't it?

It's too bad that American disinformation is able to sway Canadians so much to want to hurt their own industries. I'm hopeful that Canadian see through this and stand together and promote all our industries. While that may change in the future, even the politician I dislike the most agrees we should make money while we can.

hey, we have to pay for those battery plants in Quebec somehow. 

• Haha 1