Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

And located where?

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Canadian space industry did not transfer to Quebec by choice. The federal government mandated that move. My brother-in-law is in the industry and works for Telesat in Ottawa. He said that move sent many Canadians south to work at Nasa because they did not want to live in Quebec. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

People will be presented with some clear choices. PP will try to make it about hating Trudeau, and axing a tax that you really don't feel the effects of.

I'm hoping Carney can put forward a really compelling vision and plan that people can get behind, because we deserve much better than what PP is offering.

I dunno, I feel that instead of hating Trudeau this election is more about a protest vote against the current iteration of the Liberal party.

1 hour ago, BabyCakes said:

I dunno, I feel that instead of hating Trudeau this election is more about a protest vote against the current iteration of the Liberal party.

Yeah, that's why you see all those "Fuck the Liberal Party" flags flying on the Rams, F-350s and Silverados....

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Canadian space industry did not transfer to Quebec by choice. The federal government mandated that move. My brother-in-law is in the industry and works for Telesat in Ottawa. He said that move sent many Canadians south to work at Nasa because they did not want to live in Quebec. 

I get flashbacks to the Avro Arrow program ..

2 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

Sure that's part of it but IMHO, its mostly Junior.  Not too different when the voters chose a lightweight over a guy that overstayed his welcome (Harper).  But that's just my opinion 

13 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

The Liberals disownment of Canadian tax dollars is a huge part of the dismay.  It probably won't make much of difference who their leader is.  Owning up to their failure and correcting it would be a start.

Yesterdays 'Question Period' suggested there was a chance the CPC will take the Blaikie NDP riding in Winnipeg. Not sure about Quebec but likely a Liberal retain. If the CPC take Winnipeg it will be a clear demonstration that the blue collar vote is moving to PP and abandoning the NDP. 

6 minutes ago, bolt said:

The Liberals disownment of Canadian tax dollars is a huge part of the dismay.  It probably won't make much of difference who their leader is.  Owning up to their failure and correcting it would be a start.

usually with these stories there's far more than just whats in the tweety line.

Her ethics issues didn't look good but were cleared:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/annette-verschuren-resigns-probe-launched-1.7033605

I know that won't satisfy some, but there's no "there" here.

Just now, Boudrias said:

Yesterdays 'Question Period' suggested there was a chance the CPC will take the Blaikie NDP riding in Winnipeg. Not sure about Quebec but likely a Liberal retain. If the CPC take Winnipeg it will be a clear demonstration that the blue collar vote is moving to PP and abandoning the NDP. 

not sure its that simple, given who is the premier of MB now. But the NDP does seems to be losing this vote to some degree, which is both funny and ironic given how PP has scewed over union workers his entire career. 

Bullshit is so powerful now, even PP can make himself look like a friend to the working man 😆

• ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Blaikie stepped down earlier this year.

He works as an advisor now.

Edited by bishopshodan
byelection. duh.

That's weird.  I thought things were getting better.  That's what this thread keeps telling me.  Unless I am misunderstanding what the word "worsen" means.  Maybe OP can give me the proper definition of it. 

Bank of Canada governor raises prospect of bigger rate cuts

Tiff Macklem signals central bank will step up pace of reductions should economic conditions worsen

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's weird.  I thought things were getting better.  That's what this thread keeps telling me.  Unless I am misunderstanding what the word "worsen" means.  Maybe OP can give me the proper definition of it. 

Tiff Macklem signals central bank will step up pace of reductions should economic conditions worsen

Petey Jan 2024.  High inflation is bad, look at what trudeau has done to the country.

Petey Sept 2024.  Look at those interest rate cuts and promises of more, that's bad.  Look at what trudeau has done to the country.

Lather, rinse repeat.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

YES!!!!!  YES!!!!!

100% yes,

These are paid public servants.  

Much like every leader of a party must be cleared by various security groups and obtain their high level security clearance so they can in fact be briefed about these threats.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

why are you surprised by the BoC making adjutments?

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

100% yes,

These are paid public servants.  

Much like every leader of a party must be cleared by various security groups and obtain their high level security clearance so they can in fact be briefed about these threats.

It should be made public once the investigation is completed and there's no risk of jeopardizing its integrity.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the magazine was "Ma and Pops Table Top: what is for supper" then the note 'worsening' would be replaced with 'improving'. lol. Lower inflation and lower interest rates must seem like 'worse' to someone in finance. I think?

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Petey Jan 2024.  High inflation is bad, look at what trudeau has done to the country.

Petey Sept 2024.  Look at those interest rate cuts and promises of more, that's bad.  Look at what trudeau has done to the country.

Lather, rinse repeat.

As Kamala would say, here's the deal...

Inflation is still high, prices of homes, rent and food have not gone down.  Doesn't matter what the CPI number says.  If prices of homes, rent and food were coming down nobody would be bitching about it.

Just because rates are coming down, it doesn't mean things are getting better.  That's why the Governor of the Bank of Canada is monitoring the situation.  GDP per capital is down 5 quarters in a row.  GDP growth this year is at 0.9%.  Last year was at 1.1%.  That number is going down not up.  

Also, you need to take into consideration that there is a real possibility of "stagflation" happening, which is worse than a recession.  If prices keep going up and the economy shrinks, then we are fooked...

One more thing.  It doesn't help the situation if all people do is try and counter this whole situation by saying that PP is worse than Trudeau.  That argument isn't going to fly anymore.  GDP is worse today than under Harper.  Food prices are worse today than under Harper.  Nobody is buying the bullshit anymore Hippy...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

why are you surprised by the BoC making adjutments?

No surprise at all.  If the economy worsens, then we might have to drop rates 50bps.  That wasn't my argument though.  The argument is that the economy may be worsening not getting better.  Which is the exact opposite of what this thread is trying to convince you of...