Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

No, no, the coffee and just take in the sounds of the squirrels and birds. No headphones or cell phone. Walk 6am-7amish.

Sounds great. I do mine every day late afternoon.  Very important to get some personal me time each day outside in nature.

Good for you. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I always miss the trees in BC. I generally do a after dinner stroll as well, the whole family.

Great to decompress with your partner.   Great time just to have real conversations or just breath deep and see our beautiful canadian nature.

Yesterday i think i saw heron, bald eagle , squirrels  and salmon.    We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Great to decompress with your partner.   Great time just to have real conversations or just breath deep and see our beautiful canadian nature.

Yesterday i think i saw heron, bald eagle , squirrels  and salmon.    We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country. 

Of course i  love to tease you about Alberta..... but you know i lived there and loved it .    I moved back to BC when the Albertan economy / job market sucked.

Our banter here is all in fun.   My father and brother both were high up in KPMG  so i grew up in a fiscally conservative household.   Social conservatism is something i  struggle more with as my family were atheists.....    Our sunday church was out in nature on a river.

Edited by moosehead
  • Cheers 2

Just now, moosehead said:

Of course i  love to tease you about Alberta..... but you know i lived there and loved it .    I moved back to BC when the Albertan economy / job market sucked.

Our banter here is all in fun.   My father and brother both were high up in KPMG  so i grew up in a fiscally conservative household.   Social conservatism is something i  struggle more with as my family were atheists.....   

I'm don't support socons. Honestly I haven't voted conservative in some time. I couldn't support Harper for his decision on veterans and cuts to the armed forces. Trudeau is a knob that is dividing the country like nobody ever before him while adding massive debt. Jag would spend recklessly and be in the same boat as Trudeau. But at least Jag is a respectful, nice person. So I don't know. I guess that leaves maybe that new party. What are they called the future party or the Canadian future? Apparently wanting to be a true centre party. Maybe they're worth a shot

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Again you’re wrong. CBC is a much needed National broadcaster that supports our Canadian culture. It’s TV, Internet, and radio. IT’s Canadian and we should be proud of it. 

Does it need 1 bn to do that?

If you make quality programming someone will fund it

if you make crap, just because you’re trying to “protect culture” and no one watches it, its still crap and that’s why the govt has to fund it, because no one watches crap 

Edited by BlockerHigh
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm don't support socons. Honestly I haven't voted conservative in some time. I couldn't support Harper for his decision on veterans and cuts to the armed forces. Trudeau is a knob that is dividing the country like nobody ever before him while adding massive debt. Jag would spend recklessly and be in the same boat as Trudeau. But at least Jag is a respectful, nice person. So I don't know. I guess that leaves maybe that new party. What are they called the future party or the Canadian future? Apparently wanting to be a true centre party. Maybe they're worth a shot

👏 👏 👏 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

who funds the CBC?

are you aware in the usa 6 people / companies own 98% of the main stream media?

I bet you're not

Why is the CBC / Canadian news not attacking Trudeau for the Chinese influence issues, or any of his scandals?

Why do they soft peddle the issue with the truckers, even when the Canadian Civil Liberties Associate said he crossed the line?

I could go on and on.

I watched this debate recently and it could be insightful for many. The munk debates are a terrific opportunity to think beyond what you're told. You see both sides. This one was on trusting the main stream media. What's interesting, is pre debate they poll the audience, do you trust or not? then after. Prior the audience was 65% trusting main stream media, in the end only 35%

The sooner people wake up to the reality that main stream media is state run propoganda the better. The ONLY way you learn this is by seeking out reliable independent journalists and evaluating what they say vs main stream and not "dismissing". Many here, as I've noticed, like to 'Dismiss" anything that doesn't fit the narrative they like, their bias. Most people are like this, because learning you're wrong or could be wrong is not something most people like to see. But it's also important to learn what the truth is.

No side has a monopoly to truth sir..the minute you believe that, you're in trouble.

have a watch - you will  notice a commonality from those on the left even in this debate. When challenged with issues they can't debate, they turn to slander, calling others racists, bigots, etc but never actually debating the point. At times the audience actually starts to Boo them. because its so obvious they don't want to admit they are wrong (primarily because they of course, are the main stream media haha).

Here is a must-watch debate between Frum and Bannon from 2018. Should be mandatory viewing for anyone who wants to comment on populism vs liberalism.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453964-1/munk-debate-rise-populism

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Have at'er man. The entire premise originally brought up by Strome is ridiculous.

Alright.  The pro life vs pro choice P debate.

We have a PM that as a catholic is theologically opposed to abortions based on his religion. To my knowledge he has never come out against abortion and has stated it is a persons choice even if he is against it, or at the least not in favour of it.

We have a PM hopeful that spent his first 13-14 years in office as a very pro choice individual who attended pro life marches in Ottawa and was up until recently an MP who enjoyed a large amount of support and money from the nations 2 largest pro life coalitions.  These are inarguable facts.

Between the both of them, both are at the very least not in favour of abortions.  But as of now only one has attended rallies, been endorsed by pro choice parties and has essentially said, that while he won't raise the motion; said he won't stop MPs from doing so.

Again.  This is grounded fact.  It's literally choosing the least disgusting side of the toilet paper to wipe your ass with but one side is decidedly more gross than the other.

For me, not my argument, not my fight.  I am pro choice because it's not my say and I appreciate a leader who lives life in a way that people know they'll respect their personal freedoms in the same manner

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Absolutely not. We have starving seniors, veterans, kids and millions of Canadians without doctors. The last thing, the CBC adds is culture.

SO defund the CBC to save a billion to help veterans kids and millions without doctors.

Why stop there?

Every single energy producer in canada has enjoyed record profits every quarter far in excess of anything ever recorded and receieve billions in corporate tax breaks direct subsidies and the like.  Why not carge them accordingly and cancel that subsidization and corporate welfare and give it to kids, vets and to train and hire doctors?

Just curious how opposed to that you'd be.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Alright.  The pro life vs pro choice P debate.

We have a PM that as a catholic is theologically opposed to abortions based on his religion. To my knowledge he has never come out against abortion and has stated it is a persons choice even if he is against it, or at the least not in favour of it.

We have a PM hopeful that spent his first 13-14 years in office as a very pro choice individual who attended pro life marches in Ottawa and was up until recently an MP who enjoyed a large amount of support and money from the nations 2 largest pro life coalitions.  These are inarguable facts.

Between the both of them, both are at the very least not in favour of abortions.  But as of now only one has attended rallies, been endorsed by pro choice parties and has essentially said, that while he won't raise the motion; said he won't stop MPs from doing so.

Again.  This is grounded fact.  It's literally choosing the least disgusting side of the toilet paper to wipe your ass with but one side is decidedly more gross than the other.

For me, not my argument, not my fight.  I am pro choice because it's not my say and I appreciate a leader who lives life in a way that people know they'll respect their personal freedoms in the same manner

SO defund the CBC to save a billion to help veterans kids and millions without doctors.

Why stop there?

Every single energy producer in canada has enjoyed record profits every quarter far in excess of anything ever recorded and receieve billions in corporate tax breaks direct subsidies and the like.  Why not carge them accordingly and cancel that subsidization and corporate welfare and give it to kids, vets and to train and hire doctors?

Just curious how opposed to that you'd be.

I'm curious if you support defunding the CBC? Please answer.

As for your question, yes I'm on record as saying go after royalty increases when times are good. Oil companies will blindly agree, both federally and Provincially. Notley and Stelmach wanted to raise royalties when times were bad. Didn't work well. Also you do realize all corporate business get "corporate tax breaks. Right? Trudeau could raise corporate taxes.

As for the bolded could you provide these facts.

Typical liberal hand to play.

Conservatives have argued this bill, which would increase the seriousness of an assault if the victim is pregnant, is about public safety, not abortion, accusing the Liberals of desperately trying to stir controversy to deflect from their own problems.

“When the Liberals are doing something wrong, when they’re in a corner, when the polls are down, we see them try to distract and bring up this age-old conversation,” said Conservative MP Michelle Ferreri. “We are not going to reopen this (debate), this is about public safety.”

Jack Fonseca, spokesperson for the Campaign Life Coalition, said that Wagantall’s private member’s bill would do nothing to reduce the number of abortions nor create rights of a fetus.

“Nonetheless, it does help to increase respect for human life by drawing attention to the fact that there’s an extra injustice when a pregnant woman is violently attacked because there’s a baby in her womb that is also being attacked at the same time,” he said.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/conservatives-poilievre-anti-abortion-parliament-hill-protest

• Haha 1

So I did a little research. Is this where you guys are getting your facts? Do you actually read the article? Such BS.

Until June 2023, ARCC had listed fifteen “pro-choice” Conservative MPs (out of 117 at that time) who supported abortion rights based on their past votes and assurances. But that has changed because of a rightward shift within the Conservative Party, and a unanimous Conservative vote for a private member bill widely seen as a “trick” to re-open the abortion debate.

On June 14, the Conservative caucus banded together to vote in favour of Bill C-311, which would have created an “aggravating circumstance” clause in the Criminal Code to allow for greater penalties when a pregnant person is attacked. (The bill, introduced by Conservative MP Cathay Wagantall, was defeated by a vote of 205 to 113.)

The Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada (ARCC) had urged MPs to oppose this bill. “Even though the wording did not directly implicate abortion, it was being leveraged for the purpose of advancing restrictions or to boost fetal personhood,” said Joyce Arthur, Executive Director of ARCC.

https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/conservative-party-anti-choice/

Utter nonsense.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I did a little research. Is this where you guys are getting your facts? Do you actually read the article? Such BS.

Until June 2023, ARCC had listed fifteen “pro-choice” Conservative MPs (out of 117 at that time) who supported abortion rights based on their past votes and assurances. But that has changed because of a rightward shift within the Conservative Party, and a unanimous Conservative vote for a private member bill widely seen as a “trick” to re-open the abortion debate.

On June 14, the Conservative caucus banded together to vote in favour of Bill C-311, which would have created an “aggravating circumstance” clause in the Criminal Code to allow for greater penalties when a pregnant person is attacked. (The bill, introduced by Conservative MP Cathay Wagantall, was defeated by a vote of 205 to 113.)

The Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada (ARCC) had urged MPs to oppose this bill. “Even though the wording did not directly implicate abortion, it was being leveraged for the purpose of advancing restrictions or to boost fetal personhood,” said Joyce Arthur, Executive Director of ARCC.

https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/conservative-party-anti-choice/

Utter nonsense.

Maybe you’ll be interested in this. 

IMG_9659.jpeg

IMG_9660.jpeg

Edited by 4petesake
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Maybe you’ll be interested in this. 

IMG_9659.jpeg

IMG_9660.jpeg

So just one? 

What's also concerning is his wanting to restrict strippers from coming here.🤬

Edit: you still haven't provided proof. This is just hearsay ATM. Like all I see is alleged comments from like in between 10 and almost 20 years ago.

Edited by Ryan Strome

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So just one? 

Edit: you still haven't provided proof. This is just hearsay ATM. Like all I see is alleged comments from like in between 10 and almost 20 years ago.

The questionnaire was from 2021.  Look at the fourth question and its answer if you want to make yourself sick.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

So just one? 

Come on, let’s be fair here. I’m not going to search out everyone for you.  This guy happens to be my MP so he’s of interest to me.

Those questionnaire responses and quotes are on the CLC’s website. I’ve posted the list of Conservative candidates that they vetted and fully support. You said you support a women’s right to choose so I thought you might like to see what your MP or others might have to say. I’m sure you’ll find a few Liberals that they support as well.

Maybe the stripper thing is why Abbotsford is so boring!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Come on, let’s be fair here. I’m not going to search out everyone for you.  This guy happens to be my MP so he’s of interest to me.

Those questionnaire responses and quotes are on the CLC’s website. I’ve posted the list of Conservative candidates that they vetted and fully support. You said you support a women’s right to choose so I thought you might like to see what your MP or others might have to say. I’m sure you’ll find a few Liberals that they support as well.

Maybe the stripper thing is why Abbotsford is so boring!

I edited my post. As I said I'm not doubting it could be true I actually have not seen proof this is true other than a partisan website saying it is.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I edited my post. As I said I'm not doubting it could be true I actually have no proof this is true other than a partisan website saying it is.

It’s totally consistent with Ed Fast unfortunately. Abbotsford is the heart of the Bible Belt  after all

Something that may help you to be less skeptical - If you compare the list I posted from CLC (anti-abortion group) with the list that @aGENT

posted from arcc-cdac.ca (pro-choice group) you’ll notice an almost direct correlation. The candidates supported by one are targets of the other.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 4petesake said:

It’s totally consistent with Ed Fast unfortunately. Abbotsford is the heart of the Bible Belt  after all

Something that may help you to be less skeptical - If you compare the list I posted from CLC (anti-abortion group) with the list that @aGENT

posted from arcc-cdac.ca (pro-choice group) you’ll notice an almost direct correlation. The candidates supported by one are targets of the other.

I'm not doubting either one of you guys but I would like to see proof not a biased website saying they said this. If they said this, there should be video of it right? Or copies of it in some form. If you guys want proof of things against Trudeau you should require the same proof for these statements about the conservatives.

9 hours ago, moosehead said:

I live in a conservative riding  Every election i have voted in my life, my candidate has lost.

Getting tiring for me to keep it up.  I need a new political structure in Canada to keep me going. 

I do as well, but it does allow me to vote with my conscience

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Does it need 1 bn to do that?

If you make quality programming someone will fund it

if you make crap, just because you’re trying to “protect culture” and no one watches it, its still crap and that’s why the govt has to fund it, because no one watches crap 

If is much  cheaper in Canada to import American culture. Producing it is much more expensive.

Without CBC. Canada is another american state.   Many here would be happy with this.  I prefer to be Canadian.  

Go visit quebec and experience the wonderful culture they have managed to build as a francophone island surrounded in north america by anglophone culture.  Quebec government invests heavliy into funding quebec culture....  

I want Canada to stay Canadian .  CBC is a critical investment for all of us that love being Canadian. 

Edited by moosehead
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 9/29/2023 at 7:39 AM, bishopshodan said:

Interesting that you said that. I'm not right wing but have made enough bread and balony bundles to tuck away.(RTJ) .That said,  I do believe wealth hoarders are the worst thing for our world. I'm taking real money, the billionaires.

I know you rep thetraditional way of looking at the political spectrum but...

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/politics-in-canada-the-rich-equally-on-right-and-left-but-overall-most-people-in-centre

“People have a tendency to think that wealthier people are more to the right — but not in Canada,”

This is the second time someone has sent me this article on the same quote. I’m talking about radical left. 

• Thanks 1