Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

This isn't all entirely true my friend. But I do agree with a lot of what you said.

What isn’t entirely true? That oil isn’t sold on the open market? Lol. The government has absolutely no control over the price of WCS or CL

Just now, Bob Long said:

Cash the cheques

The golden age of Alberta prosperity rose and fell with Harper. Nationalization of oil could probably never be a real possibility. The amount of capital required to initiate this would be astronomical. It had to be done in the early stages, it was tried, it didn’t work and that’s the end of it. Regulation and low commodity prices killed Alberta energy, it will likely never recover. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

The golden age of Alberta prosperity rose and fell with Harper. Nationalization of oil could probably never be a real possibility. The amount of capital required to initiate this would be astronomical. It had to be done in the early stages, it was tried, it didn’t work and that’s the end of it. Regulation and low commodity prices killed Alberta energy, it will likely never recover. 

What would the cost of one refinery be? Or upgrading an existing one to deal with ab oil?

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What would the cost of one refinery be? Or upgrading an existing one to deal with ab oil?

I think the Sturgeon refinery near Edmonton was estimated to be $5+B and came in somewhere between $8.5B and $9.7B.

The Alberta government had to buy 1/2 ownership in 2021.

Edited by 4petesake
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

10-50 billion lol. 

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

CANADA FIRST

well cropped by the hoody.

What is so bad about saying Canada first? While it looks like the guys a bit odd, I mean wearing that shirt doesn't mean anything, does it? If it's about trying to draw a correlation, I certainly don't think that's the case. Otherwise all the women that shout about murdering babies being okay, I wouldn't hold that against liberals.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

What isn’t entirely true? That oil isn’t sold on the open market? Lol. The government has absolutely no control over the price of WCS or CL

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. Just know that I agreed with most of what you said. Also I don't need the background talk. I do the exact same thing so save me that and just know that I agreed with most of it.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Imagine what you libs would do if Harper invested tax dollars in a refinery!!!! 

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Cash the cheques

Yeah I don't think that's what it would have been. You think like that Because at heart you're a progressive conservative. You just don't support the CPC, but I don't believe you are a Trudeau liberal either. So I think you find yourself stuck going I no longer have a party.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Of course, Alberta's oil industry will never be what it could be. It's for a multitude of reasons but the biggest reason would be the global shift that is taking place away from oil. We are at a point now where guys like you and me at our age we will be okay but somebody that's 19 aspiring to be a tool push or Driller should also go to university because it might not be there for them in 20 years. Nobody is going to invest billions of dollars into refineries in the global climate we are in. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

They are very expensive and have very slim profit margins. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

10-50 billion lol. 

With very slim profit margins.

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

What is so bad about saying Canada first? While it looks like the guys a bit odd, I mean wearing that shirt doesn't mean anything, does it? If it's about trying to draw a correlation, I certainly don't think that's the case. Otherwise all the women that shout about murdering babies being okay, I wouldn't hold that against liberals.

Huh? What the hell are you going on about?

I just thought you didn't know what the hat said. I have no idea what/who Canada First is.

and what blinking shirt? I was talking about a hat.

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

You shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Although we don't specifically know what a red Canada First hat means, I'll toss out a guess that the guy likely has similar thinking patterns as red MAGA-hat wearing people. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Huh? What the hell are you going on about?

I just thought you didn't know what the hat said. I have no idea what/who Canada First is.

and what blinking shirt? I was talking about a hat.

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Although we don't specifically know what a red Canada First hat means, I'll toss out a guess that the guy likely has similar thinking patterns as red MAGA-hat wearing people. 

This is exactly my point. While the guy looks shady AF there is absolutely nothing wrong with the message on his hat. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is exactly my point. While the guy looks shady AF there is absolutely nothing wrong with the message on his hat. 

It looked like it said Anal First in the picture.

I honestly thought you 'didn't know what you were looking at' 

You read a lot into a little. Still dont know who or what this dude is, the cropping of the hoody made the Canada First look like Anal First. 

That is all Ryan, no comment on any message that you are talking about. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Hate to be that guy, but I'm convinced that hat photo is fake.   Pretty funny, but fake,   

Fake was my first thought (well second after funny).   There are clues if you look.

I mentioned it over family dinner last.  Both my 20 something sons are home for thanksgiving.   They told me of a set of photos that have been out there a while.  The first photo is a pretty girl wearing a t shirt that say I Love Canada.  In the next photo she's putting on a jacket.   In the third photo she's got the jacket on and you can guess how the t shirt now reads.

And now the topic may shift to left wing trickery...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

That's like saying a hat that reads "All Lives Matter" has nothing wrong with it because all lives do matter, which ignores all the context that goes along with it.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

It looked like it said Anal First in the picture.

I honestly thought you 'didn't know what you were looking at' 

You read a lot into a little. Still dont know who or what this dude is, the cropping of the hoody made the Canada First look like Anal First. 

That is all Ryan, no comment on any message that you are talking about. 

My bad I totally missed it. I thought it was a political message that was being debated here.

25 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Hate to be that guy, but I'm convinced that hat photo is fake.   Pretty funny, but fake,   

Fake was my first thought (well second after funny).   There are clues if you look.

I mentioned it over family dinner last.  Both my 20 something sons are home for thanksgiving.   They told me of a set of photos that have been out there a while.  The first photo is a pretty girl wearing a t shirt that say I Love Canada.  In the next photo she's putting on a jacket.   In the third photo she's got the jacket on and you can guess how the t shirt now reads.

And now the topic may shift to left wing trickery...

Stop posting such left-wing trickery.🤣

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

That's like saying a hat that reads "All Lives Matter" has nothing wrong with it because all lives do matter, which ignores all the context that goes along with it.

I mean it's not the same at all. But yes if somebody wore a hat like that, that would be okay as well.

Otherwise, I wonder if you have outrage when left-wing leaders in the United States say America first. Like honestly, putting your country first should be what most should think. You shouldn't be ashamed by that

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Otherwise, I wonder if you have outrage when left-wing leaders in the United States say America first. Like honestly, putting your country first should be what most should think. You shouldn't be ashamed by that

It depends on context.  That line of thinking is what delayed the American entry into WWII and cost a lot of lives in the process. When some of the Dems tried to oppose aid to Ukraine, they were also called out on CDC.