Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought your question was how it would be determined who had lived where and contributed what if an Albertan moved away from Alberta or vice versa. My point was that this must occur when Quebecors with their separate plan did the same thing. It suggests that a separate Alberta plan would follow what Quebec is doing.   

Remember that Quebec has always had their own plan.

I lived in and worked in Montreal for a while decades ago.   Now that I've reached retirement age they have not tracked me down to inform me I am eligible for some pittance a month.   CPP did.   Last time the province of Quebec owed me money I had to physically go there to collect it.   

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought your question was how it would be determined who had lived where and contributed what if an Albertan moved away from Alberta or vice versa. My point was that this must occur when Quebecors with their separate plan did the same thing. It suggests that a separate Alberta plan would follow what Quebec is doing.   

Quebecors don't need to go back almost 60 years to figure out what's "their's".

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If they thought they had a tough time getting their oil to the coasts before, just wait until they have to negotiate with another country.  Nothing to stop the Feds severely limiting tanker traffic if those morons think they can succeed as a country.

if things go to hell the nation of Cascadia, or whatever BC becomes will simply ban tanker traffic on the coast entirely. The only reason we have not yet is that we want to work with our provincial partners for the bennefit of everyone in this wonderful country. I am highly suspicious of some members of the Conservative caucus in Alberta and federally for that matter, in that they seem to be working for interests outside of Canada, more than even for their own constituents. We are wealthy in this nation, changing the math that has us mostly all wealthy, relative to the rest of the world, is simply working against Canadians, regardless of what province they are in.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Alberta was 4% of the population not that long ago, they are now 11% of it. I have no real clue where that consulting company got the HALF EDDIE! number from, but its entirely bogus, unworkable and would not be a reality if Alberta chose to form their own APP. I also shudder to think of what the AIM folks would do with the investment over the next 30 or 40 years as well. Currently they are all in on Big Oil. WOrks well if there is a profit margin but "and its gone" happens when there isn't. 

Spoiler contains comedy that is not safe for work, or for kids. LMAO but that video didn't age well..hahahah...still funny but so wrong.

Spoiler

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

The most important aspect of the CPPIB is that operates OUTSIDE of political control. Trudeau can't touch it, Pollievre can't touch it, Harper couldn't touch it and Danielle Smith sure as hell can't touch it.

My greatest concern with a so called APP is that it becomes an overly tempting cash cow to fund government initiatives that the sitting government can tap into at their own discretion. Think it couldn't happen? Well, according to the Fraser Institute, in 2020 the Alberta Heritage Fund was worth around $16.5 billion, but in 2021, the Fraser Institute estimated the fund SHOULD have been worth just over $33 billion if it had been inflation-proofed since the beginning. Regardless of exact numbers, it's pretty clear that government mismanagement cost the Heritage Fund about half of it's potential value. Evidently that vast pool of money was just to tempting to resist. Who is to say that an Alberta Pension Plan wouldn't be subject to the same government fiscal jiggery-pokery?

This might be the most important thing for Albertans to think about. Do they actually think Smith is a better pension manager than an independent CPP?

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

The most important aspect of the CPPIB is that operates OUTSIDE of political control. Trudeau can't touch it, Pollievre can't touch it, Harper couldn't touch it and Danielle Smith sure as hell can't touch it.

My greatest concern with a so called APP is that it becomes an overly tempting cash cow to fund government initiatives that the sitting government can tap into at their own discretion. Think it couldn't happen? Well, according to the Fraser Institute, in 2020 the Alberta Heritage Fund was worth around $16.5 billion, but in 2021, the Fraser Institute estimated the fund SHOULD have been worth just over $33 billion if it had been inflation-proofed since the beginning. Regardless of exact numbers, it's pretty clear that government mismanagement cost the Heritage Fund about half of it's potential value. Evidently that vast pool of money was just to tempting to resist. Who is to say that an Alberta Pension Plan wouldn't be subject to the same government fiscal jiggery-pokery?

Before withdrawing from the CPP and putting whatever negotiated amount into the APP where the bulk of it would no doubt be invested in O&G projects Albertans would be wise to heed their Auditor General’s warnings.

“Alberta’s AG has recently reported estimates of $60B in closure liabilities in the conventional (non oil sands) sector.  Meanwhile the province holds less than $295M from industry in security - less than .5% of official estimates. And $60B is the low estimate - leaked documents from a joint industry/regulator project in 2018 estimated liabilities of upwards of $130B. In other words, taking on these liabilities will at least double, if not triple Alberta’s current debt of $80B.”

Albertans won’t be able to look to the rest of Canada to take on that debt after leaving the CPP. So it’s either a massive tax bill for Alta taxpayers or a shitload of wells and poisoned land that will never be remediated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/s/tDheItelrx

• Vintage 3

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

This might be the most important thing for Albertans to think about. Do they actually think Smith is a better pension manager than an independent CPP?

I wonder if that isn't the end goal? 🤔 The conservatives in Alberta are anathema to a provincial sales tax, thus tapping the funds at their disposal over time. Setting up for a HUGE piggy bank to tap in future rather than ever consider a PST?

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I wonder if that isn't the end goal? 🤔 The conservatives in Alberta are anathema to a provincial sales tax, thus tapping the funds at their disposal over time. Setting up for a HUGE piggy bank to tap in future rather than ever consider a PST?

Could be. A provincial tax would have allowed them to build up a Norway style nest egg.  

Why anyone would choose to have their pension politicized is beyond me.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Oh, it can't be that important, as it only took about half a second to conclude that Smith wouldn't be managing the pension. Perhaps a bit longer for some...

18 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Oh, it can't be that important, as it only took about half a second to conclude that Smith wouldn't be managing the pension. Perhaps a bit longer for some...

No, she wouldn’t be managing APP, directly.

Much like Aquaman has never managed the Canucks, directly.

IMG_9775.jpeg

https://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/alberta-ndp-says-30000-have-responded-to-pension-survey-90-against-leaving-cpp

1. Politics
  2. News
  3. Local News

Alberta NDP says 30,000 have responded to pension survey, 90% against leaving CPP

The Opposition party also said it's preparing to host in-person consultations in six Alberta cities

Author of the article:
Matt Scace
Published Oct 23, 2023  •  2 minute read
Edited by Maninthebox
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

But the point is it would be under direct political control. 

I don't care what stripe you are politically that's a bad idea.

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

Curious to see people's thoughts on the NDP/ Liberal coalition voting to keep the RCMP from testifying in the investigation of how Trudeau blocked the RCMP from investigating him. 

Seems pretty wrong. 

Cabinet privacy is something we have in Canada. You can call it wrong if you want to but it's not something Trudeau invented.

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Curious to see people's thoughts on the NDP/ Liberal coalition voting to keep the RCMP from testifying in the investigation of how Trudeau blocked the RCMP from investigating him. 

Seems pretty wrong. 

Voting to adjourn the committee didn't have anything to do with cabinet privilege, it was just a power move. Yes, it once again demonstrates a lack of transparency by our ethically questionable government, but I'm not certain what else the Conservatives thought the committee would accomplish. The spectacle was likely the intent.

Will it resound with Canadians for any length of time? Probably not. For Trudeau's detractors it is just another item to add to the list. For his supporters it is just another item to sweep under the rug.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maninthebox said:

Voting to adjourn the committee didn't have anything to do with cabinet privilege, it was just a power move. Yes, it once again demonstrates a lack of transparency by our ethically questionable government, but I'm not certain what else the Conservatives thought the committee would accomplish. The spectacle was likely the intent.

Will it resound with Canadians for any length of time? Probably not. For Trudeau's detractors it is just another item to add to the list. For his supporters it is just another item to sweep under the rug.

It's also just how our system works. There nothing underhanded about it, everyone in parliament knew where this would all end up 

I'll add that privilege exists in other countries as well.  The US President has executive privilege.  

The RCMP investigated what they could.  Found nothing.

Jody Wilson-Raybould even characterized the situation as inappropriate rather than illegal.  Her words.

I mean, what more is there????

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Nobody gives AF....except those who have an axe to grind already....

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

I don't have an axe to grind but I find it troubling that they would shelve this, like others in the past. The guy is using the power of his position to protect himself. Very Trumpian

Like which others in the past?

Other PMs?

Like the guy trudeau replaced?  Who is potentially going to be replaced by a guy who justified the other guy trudeau replaced doing the same thing while holding a majority?

On 10/23/2023 at 7:36 PM, 4petesake said:

Before withdrawing from the CPP and putting whatever negotiated amount into the APP where the bulk of it would no doubt be invested in O&G projects Albertans would be wise to heed their Auditor General’s warnings.

“Alberta’s AG has recently reported estimates of $60B in closure liabilities in the conventional (non oil sands) sector.  Meanwhile the province holds less than $295M from industry in security - less than .5% of official estimates. And $60B is the low estimate - leaked documents from a joint industry/regulator project in 2018 estimated liabilities of upwards of $130B. In other words, taking on these liabilities will at least double, if not triple Alberta’s current debt of $80B.”

Albertans won’t be able to look to the rest of Canada to take on that debt after leaving the CPP. So it’s either a massive tax bill for Alta taxpayers or a shitload of wells and poisoned land that will never be remediated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/s/tDheItelrx

The AG must think we need to relocate ant hills and moss like for Trans mountain. Maybe he wants Guilbeaults job.

I'd like to see some of this devastation from conventional O&G and then have someone explain to me why it would be worth 130 million, never mind 130 billion, to fix it. lmao. 

24 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

The AG must think we need to relocate ant hills and moss like for Trans mountain. Maybe he wants Guilbeaults job.

I'd like to see some of this devastation from conventional O&G and then have someone explain to me why it would be worth 130 million, never mind 130 billion, to fix it. lmao. 

The present AG began working in the department in 1989 and became AG in 2018. As an independent non-partisan appointee who reports directly to Alberta’s 87 MLAs I doubt he’s looking for anyone else’s job after a 34 year career to date.

No idea where the AG gets their costs estimates but I would assume they have some legitimacy since they have access to everyone’s books, including the Alberta Orphan Well Association and others.

On a personal note as a former landowner that had one lonely pump on one corner of a quarter I can say that seeing it remediated was a long involved process. I have no idea what it cost but it was a lot different than sending Steve out with a shovel & rake to smooth over some anthills and moss.

In Alberta, roughly 237,000 drilled wells will need to be abandoned and the land remediated and reclaimed. About 80,000 of these wells are currently non-producing (referred to as inactive wells), while another 90,000 abandoned wells still await remediation and reclamation.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, Bob Long said:

Suggesting that Smith would manage a APP is dishonest. You have no basis for such an assertion.