Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Can someone explain how the Conservatives have this mantle of "fiscal responsibility' attached to them?

I'm getting extremely close to 60 yrs old, and cannot recall a conservative party government that was ever "good/great" at looking after the debt

tldr- they all spend  too much money, they don't have.

couple of links for those that can decipher  charts and graphs

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/canada/national-government-debt

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/federal-debt-in-canada-by-prime-ministers-2019.pdf

My thought is that the Tories are quick to complain when "their" money is being spent (ie. when they're not in government, they're just "regular taxpayers"), but have no problem spending other people's money (ie. when they're in government, they're no longer just "regular taxpayers", but are the ruling class who are tasked with spending).

Kind of a "Do as I say, not as I do".  People see them supposedly holding the Liberal government to task when they're in Opposition, and just assume that they'd exercise the same when they're in power (without really scratching under the surface or tabulating the figures when the Tories are in fact the governing party).  Plus they want friends too, so they'll spend like a drunken sailor on shore leave for their buddies until they realize, "Oh shit, it's election time again!"

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:54 AM, Warhippy said:

Oh, so not like OTHER pms in the past but specifically this one?  because the others didn't have legal, ethical and  moral issues as well?  Gotcha.

But chinese money being spent?  Fascinating.  You mean like on swaying the elections to both sides or?  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-poilievre-among-dozens-of-mps-targeted-by-china-linked-spamouflage-campaign-1.6612872

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/politics/video/russian-trolls-targeting-trudeau-and-election~1785084

But again totally different that this happened this recent election and not at all similar to 2015 right?  Or 2019?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/study-details-ways-russian-and-iranian-trolls-tried-to-influence-canada-s-2015-election-1.5319541

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/canada-wexit-and-the-federal-election-targeted-in-russian-disinformation-campaign-academics-say

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/nato-researcher-warns-of-russian-interference-in-2019-canadian-election/article38124979/

Just curious because it appears as though Russia, India Iran and China have been locally and visibly interfering with things since about 2015 or earlier yet it depends on the government du jour because it wasn't an issue in 2015 but is an issue in 2021.

So when I ask which investigations I have to know because ti is bvious we are picking and choosing what PM is investigated for what as it appears this is an issue that has been ongoing for some time

I don't know, there is only one PM at a time, so let's start there. 

On 10/25/2023 at 1:03 PM, Bob Long said:

this asshat is fine with blood on his hands. 

In what regards? Not wanting to be coerced into a vaccine. 

People I know who got it did so to travel, not because they believed it would work and the booster is intake is dropping like a rock. 

No one should ever be forced to take a vaccine, of any kind, ever. 

I will never be convinced otherwise. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

So I'm guessing you feel all those children who are vaccinated against measles, mumps, polio, etc should wait until they're old enough to make their own decisions on the vaccines? Assuming they live that long, of course.....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

In what regards? Not wanting to be coerced into a vaccine. 

People I know who got it did so to travel, not because they believed it would work and the booster is intake is dropping like a rock. 

I will never be convinced otherwise. 

That's fine, don't take it. But don't go and put yourself in a public place and expose people to your decision.

The idea that people were coerced comes out of the back of a bull. People just didn't want to live with the consequences of their choice.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Can someone explain how the Conservatives have this mantle of "fiscal responsibility' attached to them?

I'm getting extremely close to 60 yrs old, and cannot recall a conservative party government that was ever "good/great" at looking after the debt

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/federal-debt-in-canada-by-prime-ministers-2019.pdf

edit to add:

tumblr_nr9jhfp0Np1tyv2j7o1_1280.thumb.jpg.20003aa2c1a9008d3bd87031f1f54a8c.jpg

Leaves out the most recent Liberal govt-  and the debt has gone up- but a global pandemic and a major European war can do that.

So again- why are the Conservatives touted as 'go0d with money"?

Those numbers at the bottom of the graph carry some significance eh.

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s a fair statement. 

It’s also very fair that unvaccinated people will have to accept the consequences of their decisions. 

That may be an inability to travel, visit people, go to restaurants or other establishments, and on and on. 

Anyone willingly unvaccinated that spreads diseases to others, should also be held liable, criminally and civilly. 

Personal decisions have ramifications for themselves and others. 

Next week my best friend’s parents (basically godparents to me)  are celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary. Had I not been vaccinated I would not been allowed to enter the care home where they live. That would have have been a consequence to me of my personal decision. Last week I got my booster because my personal decisions have ramifications for others. I will do anything I can do to reduce the risk of me bringing something deadly into the home of a couple in their 90’s.

Their daughter is a vehement anti-vaxxer who’ll tell anyone who will listen,  & those who won’t, that Dr Bonny is a puppet of conspiracy. She can’t attend her own parent’s 70th.

Consequences. Live with them.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Next week my best friend’s parents (basically godparents to me)  are celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary. Had I not been vaccinated I would not been allowed to enter the care home where they live. That would have have been a consequence to me of my personal decision. Last week I got my booster because my personal decisions have ramifications for others. I will do anything I can do to reduce the risk of me bringing something deadly into the home of a couple in their 90’s.

Their daughter is a vehement anti-vaxxer who’ll tell anyone who will listen,  & those who won’t, that Dr Bonny is a puppet of conspiracy. She can’t attend her own parent’s 70th.

Consequences. Live with them.

My father died in hospital because Saskatchewan didn't limit hospital visits during covid. I appreciate you giving a shit and saving a family from that.

• Huggy Bear 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

My father died in hospital because Saskatchewan didn't limit hospital visits during covid. I appreciate you giving a shit and saving a family from that.

I’m so sorry for your loss BL. 

Thoughts & Prayers?

That will assuage you, right? Right!? 

How many does it take? 

This winter is seeing the trends of cases rising. What a shit show about to erupt. 

PM me if I can be shoulder to lean on.  So sorry about your dad. I’m here if you need to vent. My shoulders are quite broad. I can do the heavy lifting if you need me to. Don’t internalize anything, have a means of releasing the pressure valve. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’m so sorry for your loss BL. 

Thoughts & Prayers?

That will assuage you, right? Right!? 

How many does it take? 

This winter is seeing the trends of cases rising. What a shit show about to erupt. 

PM me if I can be shoulder to lean on.  So sorry about your dad. I’m here if you need to vent. My shoulders are quite broad. I can do the heavy lifting if you need me to. Don’t internalize anything, have a means of releasing the pressure valve. 

Cheers. 

Thanks I appreciate that a lot. It happened during the first wave, I haven't been ready to talk about it yet.

But yea, Christmas visiting was the primary concern right? Morons. Or was it Mormons?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Thanks I appreciate that a lot. It happened during the first wave, I haven't been ready to talk about it yet.

But yea, Christmas visiting was the primary concern right? Morons. Or was it Mormons?

Anytime you need it, I’m here. 

Now, stop derailing this thread! 

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:19 AM, 4petesake said:

The present AG began working in the department in 1989 and became AG in 2018. As an independent non-partisan appointee who reports directly to Alberta’s 87 MLAs I doubt he’s looking for anyone else’s job after a 34 year career to date.

No idea where the AG gets their costs estimates but I would assume they have some legitimacy since they have access to everyone’s books, including the Alberta Orphan Well Association and others.

On a personal note as a former landowner that had one lonely pump on one corner of a quarter I can say that seeing it remediated was a long involved process. I have no idea what it cost but it was a lot different than sending Steve out with a shovel & rake to smooth over some anthills and moss.

In Alberta, roughly 237,000 drilled wells will need to be abandoned and the land remediated and reclaimed. About 80,000 of these wells are currently non-producing (referred to as inactive wells), while another 90,000 abandoned wells still await remediation and reclamation.

Interesting that you had one on your land. Was it leaking? 

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

edit to add:

tumblr_nr9jhfp0Np1tyv2j7o1_1280.thumb.jpg.20003aa2c1a9008d3bd87031f1f54a8c.jpg

Leaves out the most recent Liberal govt-  and the debt has gone up- but a global pandemic and a major European war can do that.

So again- why are the Conservatives touted as 'go0d with money"?

True that the only good government we had was Chretien/Martin. Harper was saddled with the big crisis in 2008 or he would have been ok fiscally. I guess JT's record is too embarrassing to show. Mulroney was a disgrace.

Edited by MightyCPC

2 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

Interesting that you had one on your land. Was it leaking? 

Not that I know of, we inherited a share of leased land and apparently it had been inactive for a while. We only heard the stories of it being remediated from the guy that was farming it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MightyCPC said:

True that the only good government we had was Chretien/Martin. Harper was saddled with the big crisis in 2008 or he would have been ok fiscally. I guess JT's record is too embarrassing to show. Mulroney was a disgrace.

So Harper had a crisis?  But that's excused.  Even though it really only last about 2 years and he had record high oil prices for much of his time in office but still only appeared to balance a budget by selling a major crown corporation and shares from automotive companies in return for assistance to save jobs which... promptly got lost anyways

But JT, is an embarrassment because he didn't have a crisis or high oil prices to buoy things or?

Just ballpark it here for me

• Vintage 1