Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

55 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So this means we won't hear CONs bitch and moan about the SNC/Lavalin thingy then.   Right??????????

Just blows me away.

This is a motion that would have 100% held Trudeau accountable and unable to use his powers to hide and the Cons to a person shut it down.  Poiliverre must 100% believe he is going to be the next PM and soon because NO other reason exists other than him wanting to have the same ability to hide as Trudeau or Harper did.

It cements for me at least, my belief that he is little more than angry trudeau.

His stupid apple eating moment is the same as trudeaus "because it's 2015" moment and they're the exact same person

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It cements for me at least, my belief that he is little more than angry trudeau.

His stupid apple eating moment is the same as trudeaus "because it's 2015" moment and they're the exact same person

2 sides to the same pie....   but i can not support the party will likely put Canada years back on social policy / rights of women.

photography-on-theme-fresh-cow-260nw-225

Edited by moosehead

1 hour ago, moosehead said:

2 sides to the same pie....   but i can not support the party will likely put Canada years back on social policy / rights of women.

photography-on-theme-fresh-cow-260nw-225

I don't vote for parties anymore.  Just the person I'd be more inclined to have a beer with

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't vote for parties anymore.  Just the person I'd be more inclined to have a beer with

Jack Layton

Chuck Cadman

Ed Broadbent

possibly Joe Clark- I  think he got a bad ride.

I'd need to think about any others- which kind of makes the point.

• Cheers 1

There are legit reasons.  Increases in RCMP pay.  Changes in technology.  And having the yahoos with the F - Trudeau flags probably doesn't help either.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-security-costs-1.7009159

The cost to protect the prime minister has shot up to more than $30 million a year

Security costs also rose sharply under former prime minister Stephen Harper

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wth? Didn't see this coming.

In her defense, I believe she's always said she doesn't know anything about her birth parents.

edit:  I found this article:

https://ottawasun.com/entertainment/music/i-know-who-i-am-buffy-sainte-marie-calls-indigenous-identity-questions-hurtful/wcm/f548fb15-f4a9-430a-a458-cd988e5adff0

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wth? Didn't see this coming.

Welp, my bingo card is totally fucked now. Always loved Buffy and was proud of her story and heritage.

Started watching it thinking it can’t be true and looking for reasons to not be convinced of the credibility of various people that were interviewed. By the end it was a cold hard slap of reality as it sunk in. She is a liar.

8 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Welp, my bingo card is totally fucked now. Always loved Buffy and was proud of her story and heritage.

Started watching it thinking it can’t be true and looking for reasons to not be convinced of the credibility of various people that were interviewed. By the end it was a cold hard slap of reality as it sunk in. She is a liar.

This is going to hurt a lot of people :classic_sad:

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:53 PM, Bob Long said:

That's fine, don't take it. But don't go and put yourself in a public place and expose people to your decision.

The idea that people were coerced comes out of the back of a bull. People just didn't want to live with the consequences of their choice.

I took the first two, no more. This seems to be the norm currently as most are not getting boosted. My thinking changed when it became evident that it wasn't stopping me from getting COVID-19 (3 times now, 1 before the vax, 2 after) and I was it was worse the two times after. Now, people will say "It would have been much worse if you weren't vaccinated for the latter two" but that is not how viruses mutate. They get more infectious but less dangerous, yet I was worse AFTER the shot and one quite recently. 

Now you see people getting mad for others not getting the boosters. They are mad that someone didn't take a shot that is supposed to protect others for a shot they did take. It makes no sense. The vaccines others have mentioned worked to stop those diseases. This is about money, a lot of money.

Saying don't put yourself in a public place, what a ridiculous statement. Anyone who took two shots and no more is no longer considered vaccinated. There are far more of those people (that's me). 

If they all listened to you and didn't go into a public place the world would grind to a halt, immediately. 2 shots are no longer vaccinated. Bodily autonomy won out. I wish I had never taken them. You can keep taking them and all the best, but the world is not following along. All the best. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

This is going to hurt a lot of people :classic_sad:

Why? Isn't that her truth?

On 10/26/2023 at 11:18 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

Just to add, if it wasn't for his tax cuts, he could have easily had multiple balanced/surplus budgets.   He wouldn't have needed to sell assets to make his final budget appear to be good.  And that would have carried over into JTs time.  

CONs tax cuts never pay for themselves.   Ever.

I don't really remember the details from back then, but generally, struggling businesses equal layoffs which we want to avoid. As for the rich not paying enough, the marginal tax rates are ridiculous. If you want to talk about fairness, flat taxes are fair, just get rid of the write offs.

22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So Trudeau is the reason golfing in Phoenix is not $15 anymore?

I don't know where this came from. 

The financial crisis was survived in large part as you stated by Chretien/Martins policies and regardless of people's statements more in spite of Harpers leadership.  As there WERE in fact major policies shelved that would have destroyed the Canadian real estate and banking sector.

The covid crisis affected everything and everyone in ways the financial crisis did not.  We won't know the full effect of all of that for at least 5-8 more years.  But to say that without direct government intervention and cash infusions, millions of businesses would have closed and millions of Canadians would have been bankrupted is not an over statement or exaggeration.

One also needs to remember that the 2020-2022 spending through the covid crisis was in fact at the hands of an all party round table of Cons, Libs, NDP and Bloc members that agreed how money would be spent.  Not just one person.  Not just one party.

The lockdown policy is what caused the businesses to close and supply chains to collapse. There is debate as to whether this policy was the best way to go.

I might also add that without high oil prices which canada did not have from about late 2014 through 2022 Canada did not have that excess infusion of cash the same way they did from 2009 through 2014.  Every $4 is about a billion or so give or take and if one looks at what oil prices were from 2014 through 2021 vs 2008 through 2014 one can see immediately canada had a massive hole to deal with in that period based on that loss of oil revenue.

The other thing that was good about Chretien is that he didn't need to be poking his nose into all things international, unlike JT who wants to put a target on Canada's back every time he opens his mouth. The people he sucks up to in Europe think he's a joke.

16 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

I took the first two, no more. This seems to be the norm currently as most are not getting boosted. My thinking changed when it became evident that it wasn't stopping me from getting COVID-19 (3 times now, 1 before the vax, 2 after) and I was it was worse the two times after. Now, people will say "It would have been much worse if you weren't vaccinated for the latter two" but that is not how viruses mutate. They get more infectious but less dangerous, yet I was worse AFTER the shot and one quite recently. 

Now you see people getting mad for others not getting the boosters. They are mad that someone didn't take a shot that is supposed to protect others for a shot they did take. It makes no sense. The vaccines others have mentioned worked to stop those diseases. This is about money, a lot of money.

Saying don't put yourself in a public place, what a ridiculous statement. Anyone who took two shots and no more is no longer considered vaccinated. There are far more of those people (that's me). 

If they all listened to you and didn't go into a public place the world would grind to a halt, immediately. 2 shots are no longer vaccinated. Bodily autonomy won out. I wish I had never taken them. You can keep taking them and all the best, but the world is not following along. All the best. 

Well, we're dealing with a lot of bitter people that are coming to terms with the reality that the shots were a failure but can't admit it. It's way easier to fool someone than to convince them they were fooled. I got my two shots, using the best info at the time I guess. I sure hope I'm not forced to get another one. 

How long do the new shots provide immunity for?

11 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

Well, we're dealing with a lot of bitter people that are coming to terms with the reality that the shots were a failure but can't admit it. It's way easier to fool someone than to convince them they were fooled. I got my two shots, using the best info at the time I guess. I sure hope I'm not forced to get another one. 

Sorry but this idea is bs. If you don't think the shots helped people I don't know what to say to you. 

You've decided to complelty ignore reality.

36 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Honestly we are starting at less than zero if this is how you think vaccines work.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

A few thoughts on your post.  I'm not going to attempt to change your mind, but I have to mention a few things I disagree with.

My thinking changed when it became evident that it wasn't stopping me from getting COVID-19 (3 times now, 1 before the vax, 2 after) and I was it was worse the two times after. Now, people will say "It would have been much worse if you weren't vaccinated for the latter two" but that is not how viruses mutate. They get more infectious but less dangerous, yet I was worse AFTER the shot and one quite recently. 

I'm sorry to hear you got so sick.   But no one can say how sick you would have been without having your shots.   It can't be denied that all across the world, and in places like Florida especially, many people who had not been vaccinated are now dead from Covid.  

As for -  that is not how viruses mutate. They get more infectious but less dangerous - that is true for the mutations we saw.   But it can't be described as some kind of physical law.   Mother Nature could have mutated the virus in an almost infinite amount of ways.   We just got off fairly easily.

42 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

The people he sucks up to in Europe think he's a joke.

I hear this statement now and again.

Can you tell me who 'he sucks up to in Europe thinks he's a joke'?

Honest question. I dont read much European political news.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A few thoughts on your post.  I'm not going to attempt to change your mind, but I have to mention a few things I disagree with.

My thinking changed when it became evident that it wasn't stopping me from getting COVID-19 (3 times now, 1 before the vax, 2 after) and I was it was worse the two times after. Now, people will say "It would have been much worse if you weren't vaccinated for the latter two" but that is not how viruses mutate. They get more infectious but less dangerous, yet I was worse AFTER the shot and one quite recently. 

I'm sorry to hear you got so sick.   But no one can say how sick you would have been without having your shots.   It can't be denied that all across the world, and in places like Florida especially, many people who had not been vaccinated are now dead from Covid.  

As for -  that is not how viruses mutate. They get more infectious but less dangerous - that is true for the mutations we saw.   But it can't be described as some kind of physical law.   Mother Nature could have mutated the virus in an almost infinite amount of ways.   We just got off fairly easily.

Florida has one of the most aged populations on the planet, it would always be the most likely place that the most people would die, regardless of covid, the flu etc. 

If the COVID vaccines worked like they were preached, I would have gotten boosted. The current intake level would be very high and it is not, it is going the other direction. 

I am not anti-vaccines. I just do not believe any longer what we were being sold. Some still do (see responses to my post) and that is fine for them but considering everyone who only got two doses is no longer considered vaccinated the mentality you shouldn't interact in society is short-sighted and not based in reality. 

My mind can be changed. It just needs to be based in facts and science, not money and payouts. 

32 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

If the people in your orbit are saying that I can assure you the people in mine are not.

25 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

TBH Satch, I don't think this is true.....

Someone who studied this more closely than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall it, Delta was far more dangerous than the three strains that came before it and it was more severe than any of Alpha, Beta or Gamma.

While it's true that Omicron appeared to be the most transmissible of the variants and it was less deadly than Delta, the blanket statement made by 5for5 just doesn't track.

Your conclusion at the end of your response is correct. It could have mutated in many ways.....and it did.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

It's a strange new world. We're not supposed to make our own educated decisions based on our research. We are just supposed to blindly follow the government and big pharma because of social caring. 

Makes me feel right-wing to read that but I don't feel any other way. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

Florida has one of the most aged populations on the planet, it would always be the most likely place that the most people would die, regardless of covid, the flu etc. 

If the COVID vaccines worked like they were preached, I would have gotten boosted. The current intake level would be very high and it is not, it is going the other direction. 

I am not anti-vaccines. I just do not believe any longer what we were being sold. Some still do (see responses to my post) and that is fine for them but considering everyone who only got two doses is no longer considered vaccinated the mentality you shouldn't interact in society is short-sighted and not based in reality. 

My mind can be changed. It just needs to be based in facts and science, not money and payouts. 

It was not just aged people who died from Covid in Florida or elsewhere.    The young fared fairly well but a lot of people over say 30 or 40 are now gone.   The young lost a lot of parents,

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

It's a strange new world. We're not supposed to make our own educated decisions based on our research. We are just supposed to blindly follow the government and big pharma because of social caring. 

Makes me feel right-wing to read that but I don't feel any other way. 

are you a physician? are you even capable of doing your own medical research? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

It's a strange new world. We're not supposed to make our own educated decisions based on our research. We are just supposed to blindly follow the government and big pharma because of social caring

You should always educate yourself but you should also talk to a dcotor and even get a 2nd opinion if you are concerned.

Doctors are experts and can interpret/explain or debunk if needed, any online reseach you come across.

Edited by bishopshodan
yeah, what Jim Bob said.
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1