Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Satchmo said:

Yikes Bob, you don't expect me to read that thing do you?  😀    I responded to to the article he linked. 

no its OK 😀 just showing you where the physician payments come from. Every province has a payment schedule like this for doc's. No one got paid "more" because it was a vaccine shot. Any shot given by a doc has this payment attached to it.

The AG wasn't saying the doc payments were unfair, he was pointing out governments could do it cheaper via other professionals. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

no its OK 😀 just showing you where the physician payments come from. Every province has a payment schedule like this for doc's. No one got paid "more" because it was a vaccine shot. Any shot given by a doc has this payment attached to it.

The AG wasn't saying the doc payments were unfair, he was pointing out governments could do it cheaper via other professionals. 

I was speed reading and speed typing in the heat of battle I guess.   I'm going to bunker down in my fox hole and eat some K rations before I rejoin the fight.

• Like 1

Public data had the number at 320.  Internally, the number was 898 with an average of 912 over the past week.  That is a pretty big difference.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-doctors-call-on-province-for-more-transparency-amid-discrepancies-in-covid-19-hospitalization-data-1.6620692

Alberta doctors, nurses call on province for more transparency amid discrepancies in COVID-19 hospitalization data

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Renewed my mortgage the other day.  
Went up just over 800$ a month.  
Gas is up higher than ever. 
Cost of food has skyrocketed. 

Thank god we have Justin Trudeau at the helm, doing such a great fucking job keeping Canada affordable for us Canadians he loves so much. 

Im really glad he is our putting money into foreign wars instead of helping his country with it. 

Great job JT.  👍

Well you knew what kind of government Jr would be so it should've hardly been a surprise to you what we'd end up with.

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

1)Went up just over 800$ a month.  
2)Gas is up higher than ever. 
3)Cost of food has skyrocketed. 

Thank god we have Justin Trudeau at the helm, doing such a great fucking job keeping Canada affordable for us Canadians he loves so much. 

4)Im really glad he is our putting money into foreign wars instead of helping his country with it. 

5)Great job JT.  👍

1)  Interest rates have gone up globally.  If Canada was the only nation to have significant increases in interest rates, your complaint would be valid.

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articles/2023/10/10/higher-for-longer-interest-rate-environment-is-squeezing-more-borrowers#:~:text=Policymakers have raised rates by,points in emerging market economies.

2) I'm pretty sure you know that the Feds are not completely to blame for higher gas prices.  Taxes, yes but they are a portion of the blame.  Yet, the real culprits rake in billions and billions in profits every year on top of billions in subsidies from the Feds.  That, and there is a pipeline and a LNG facility being built.

And a good chunk of those taxes on your gas bill existed when Harper was in charge.

3) I'm pretty sure you know that the gouging of consumers is the result of profit hungry corporations like Sobeys and Loblaw.  Nope, it's JTs fault.  And it isn't like JT has sat around and did absolutely nothing.  I'd love to see what you propose he does.

4) Canadian boots are not on the ground and the money spent is but a portion of our Defense budget.  A defense budget that gets an awful amount of criticism for being too small.

Unlike having actual Canadian boots on the ground in Afghanistan, where Canadian soldiers died.  Operations that happened during Harpers government as well.

So which programs would you like to see their budget increased?  

5)  Don't get me wrong.  I have criticism of JT and would like to see him resign.  I really didn't like how he went off on a surfing holiday as opposed to attending in person during the first Truth and Reconciliation Day.  Especially given that the findings out of Kamloops that summer over the graves. 

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Went up just over 800$ a month.  
Gas is up higher than ever. 
Cost of food has skyrocketed. 

Im really glad he is our putting money into foreign wars instead of helping his country with it. 

Great job JT.  👍

Did you get your free Heat Pump at least? 

• Haha 2

I’ve gotten a handful of replies, so I’m just going to reply to all of them with a blanket response.  

I apologize. 
It was silly of me to think that the government actually did anything and might have played a part in how the country has been running.  
JT has nothing to do with anything and the liberals have been doing nothing but perfect work, though it doesn’t matter if they did or not, because they have no say in taxes, inflation, mortgage rates, cost of goods, etc…..

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Did you get your free Heat Pump at least? 

You get a heat pump and you get a heat pump, everyone gets a heat pump (Oprah meme).

Meanwhile, we were told that we would all be getting more money back than the carbon tax was charging, was that not true? 

I noticed too that Trudeau changed the name in the roll back. He didn't call it carbon tax, can't have Pierre snagging those sound bites. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

G minor You doesn't have the same ring to it though.

Yeah and I just realized that's an F Major on the cup anyway so my joke fails no matter what.

Never trust a bass player to be in the right key.

Back on topic we go...

Edited by Satchmo
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’ve gotten a handful of replies, so I’m just going to reply to all of them with a blanket response.  

I apologize. 
It was silly of me to think that the government actually did anything and might have played a part in how the country has been running.  
JT has nothing to do with anything and the liberals have been doing nothing but perfect work, though it doesn’t matter if they did or not, because they have no say in taxes, inflation, mortgage rates, cost of goods, etc…..

Glad you've finally seen the light!

I think there is some truth to what you are saying.   If we all agreed fully though we would not have had all these posts.

I think our little Canada is just trying to keep it's head above water in a turbulent global sea full of sharks.

And now just stop whining about other people's GDT's. 😀   You can't change that either.   Have you no scroll bar?   That's what I use for the longer ones.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

1)  Interest rates have gone up globally.  If Canada was the only nation to have significant increases in interest rates, your complaint would be valid.

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articles/2023/10/10/higher-for-longer-interest-rate-environment-is-squeezing-more-borrowers#:~:text=Policymakers have raised rates by,points in emerging market economies.

2) I'm pretty sure you know that the Feds are not completely to blame for higher gas prices.  Taxes, yes but they are a portion of the blame.  Yet, the real culprits rake in billions and billions in profits every year on top of billions in subsidies from the Feds.  That, and there is a pipeline and a LNG facility being built.

And a good chunk of those taxes on your gas bill existed when Harper was in charge.

3) I'm pretty sure you know that the gouging of consumers is the result of profit hungry corporations like Sobeys and Loblaw.  Nope, it's JTs fault.  And it isn't like JT has sat around and did absolutely nothing.  I'd love to see what you propose he does.

4) Canadian boots are not on the ground and the money spent is but a portion of our Defense budget.  A defense budget that gets an awful amount of criticism for being too small.

Unlike having actual Canadian boots on the ground in Afghanistan, where Canadian soldiers died.  Operations that happened during Harpers government as well.

So which programs would you like to see their budget increased?  

5)  Don't get me wrong.  I have criticism of JT and would like to see him resign.  I really didn't like how he went off on a surfing holiday as opposed to attending in person during the first Truth and Reconciliation Day.  Especially given that the findings out of Kamloops that summer over the graves. 

yep JT has run his course. He should move aside for someone like Mark Carney imo, and go try to save his family situation. He's done enough. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MightyCPC said:

As for the rich not paying enough, the marginal tax rates are ridiculous.

What are the marginal tax rates right now?

5 hours ago, MightyCPC said:

If you want to talk about fairness, flat taxes are fair, just get rid of the write offs.

When someone say "get rid of the write offs" I generally agree with them.  But then I realize I'm not sure what "write offs" we're talking about.  What write offs are we talking about?

I don't agree that a flat tax is fair.  When looking at the fairness of any tax system we have to look, not only at the percentage each taxpayer is paying, but also at the impact that tax rate is having on the taxpayer's life.  A low income tax payer is going to be much more affected by a 20% tax rate (or a 10% rate or a 40% rate or whatever) than someone who is making an uber income.

44 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

What are the marginal tax rates right now?

When people get reminded that the longest unbroken periods of growth in Canada and the US were from the mid 30s through the late 70s when the tax rates averaged 80%+

They get really really weird about things

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1