Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Yes, we are 🙂

Well... I do have this one cousin near Yorkton...

My Mom and Dad were both born in Sask.......I spent many summers there as a kid.  Weyburn and Spalding up North,

Had 3 relatives in the police force in the RCMP....and city police.

My Uncle who is 92 now ....who sold the family farm still lives in the house there as part of the sale.

Before my Dad passed a few years ago he told me stories about growing up there.  He was born in 1927.

Thats why I laugh at people complaining about  little crap now.

Farmers are salt of the earth and never heard anyone say else wise.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My Mom and Dad were both born in Sask.......I spent many summers there as a kid.  Weyburn and Spalding up North,

Had 3 relatives in the police force in the RCMP....and city police.

My Uncle who is 92 now ....who sold the family farm still lives in the house there as part of the sale.

Before my Dad passed a few years ago he told me stories about growing up there.  He was born in 1927.

Thats why I laugh at people complaining about  little crap now.

Farmers are salt of the earth and never heard anyone say else wise.

I'm happy to have grown up there .

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Canuckle said:

From the article:

"The November discussion in Montgomery County, Maryland was led by Pamela Lindstrom, commissioner of the Housing Opportunities Commission. Lindstrom explained that Vienna’s city government owns and manages 220,000 housing units, which represent about 25 percent of the city’s housing stock."

That's pretty remarkable.  And I'm guessing land prices are high in Vienna just as they are in Vancouver.  Wonder if the city simply owned a large amount of land in the city or do they buy it?

I was trying to find a comparison to Vancouver.  Best I could do is from 2017 and which I think is applicable:

"In 2016, there were 309,418 total dwellings in Vancouver compared to 286,740 (8% increase). In
2016, there were 283,916 private occupied dwellings in Vancouver compared to 264,575 in 2011 (7%
increase)."

and

"As of April 2017, the City had 25,623 non-market housing units. 5,780 of these units were nonmarket co-operative housing. "

Quite a difference from Vienna.  About 8% of our housing stock is non-market housing compared to 25% in Vienna.

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/housing-characteristics-fact-sheet.pdf

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I can't vote for team Y or X while complaining about taxes?

Hmmm

GST came from where?  Who revised the national tax code in 87?  Kinda looks like almost all of the taxes and the tax system people are angry about was *checks notes*

Conservative made. 

As for the oil comment.  Funny thing about canada.  it has resources.  Not just resources, but easily accessible resources in abundance with the single largest non conflict frontier in the world.  Companies can go elsewhere sure.  But they aren't making more resources so the threats of leaving are entirely overblown.  I also didn't say anything about an increase in royalties but a strategic siphoning of resources for a strategic reserve like that of the US and a rebuilding of our national gold and silver reserves.  The amount i suggested is a literal pittance compared to what companies are paying to rip and ship raw resources out of our nation.

They aren’t threats lol. They left already bro lol. Selling commodities is like prostitution. Ya, Canada is a clean classy source but other countries are cheaper and nobody really cares how dirty it is. 

• ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/alberta-s-pension-plan-proposal-a-financial-leap-or-a-political-ploy/ar-AA1jadMN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=441821e4be3d49b7952c524599e913cc&ei=76

"In a virtual gathering that underscores the gravity of Canada's evolving pension landscape, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland has convened a meeting of the nation's finance ministers. The agenda? A contentious proposal from Alberta to withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), a blueprint that could redraw the financial futures of millions.

The proposal, championed by Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, seeks to establish a provincial pension plan, severing the province's ties with the CPP. It's underpinned by a report commissioned by Alberta's government, suggesting that the province is entitled to an eye-watering $334 billion from the CPP, over half of its current $575 billion in assets.

Yet, this move is not without its critics. From Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to Ontario Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy, the chorus of dissent underscores the perceived flaws in Alberta's exit strategy. According to the proposed formula, if applied to Alberta, Ontario, and British Columbia, these provinces would receive an untenable 128% of CPP assets, an outcome Freeland has categorically deemed 'absurd'.

From the vantage point of critics, the proposal is riddled with inaccuracies. Gillian Steward, writing for The Star, is especially scathing. Steward critiques the 'lousy math', pointing out the incongruity of Alberta claiming 53% of CPP's assets, despite only contributing 15% of its payments.

She suggests the move is less about financial prudence and more about political maneuvering, potentially leaving Albertans worse off.

Moreover, a poll conducted by the Alberta Federation of Labour found that 63% of Albertans prefer to stay with the CPP rather than risk their pensions on an untested provincial plan. The proposal, thus, not only faces resistance from the federal government and other provinces but also from the very citizens it purports to benefit.

The Meeting: A Confluence of Concerns

Amid this backdrop of critique and controversy, Freeland's meeting seeks to unpack the implications of Alberta's proposal. Recognizing Alberta's legal right to opt out of the CPP, Freeland emphasizes the need for a clear understanding of the risks involved. This meeting is not just about dissecting Alberta's exit formula; it's a broader attempt to ensure the CPP's sustainability — a safety net for workers and retirees across Canada.

29 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Wonder if the city simply owned a large amount of land in the city or do they buy it?

That's a good question. I found this on the City of Vienna website:

URBAN DEVELOPMENT AND LAND POLICY - Counteracting speculation -

Zoning as an instrument of land acquisition

"Close co-operation between wohnfonds_wien and the city’s planning departments is important as it ensures that land is reserved for social housing in urban development areas. wohnfonds_wien as a socially responsible land developer is accountable to a board with strong public-policy interests. Sites are purchased in accordance with the

Urban Development Plan (STEP) and in co-ordination with the City of Vienna. In addition, wohnfonds_wien acts as land developer for these sites. In this role, it also organises developers’ competitions as these have proved an effective tool."

"Recent years have seen land and real-estate prices in many European cities spiralling out of control. To counteract this development, the City of Vienna amended its Building Code in November 2018 by introducing the “Subsidised Housing” zoning category. Thus, if a plot is classified as belonging to the “Subsidised Housing” category, two thirds of the useable floorspace created for housing purposes must as a rule be taken up by subsidised dwellings. This approach caps rents and safeguards that affordable dwellings will continue to be constructed across the entire city, which, in its turn, ensures another objective – a good social mix all over Vienna.

The “Subsidised Housing” zoning category is above all used in the reclassification of industrial or commercial areas as building land as well as, occasionally, when aiming to increase density in residential or mixed-purpose development zones as well as in connection with high-rise projects. It only applies to plots that will accommodate more than 5,000 square metres of housing space. The new zoning category is moreover linked to a sales ban – embodied in the land register – for the subsidised housing units constructed on such plots. This means that the City of Vienna has to approve the sale of these subsidised flats. The sales ban applies for the entire period of the subsidy granted."

https://socialhousing.wien/tools/urban-development-and-land-policy

Edited by Canuckle
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm

GST came from where?  Who revised the national tax code in 87?  Kinda looks like almost all of the taxes and the tax system people are angry about was *checks notes*

Conservative made. 

As for the oil comment.  Funny thing about canada.  it has resources.  Not just resources, but easily accessible resources in abundance with the single largest non conflict frontier in the world.  Companies can go elsewhere sure.  But they aren't making more resources so the threats of leaving are entirely overblown.  I also didn't say anything about an increase in royalties but a strategic siphoning of resources for a strategic reserve like that of the US and a rebuilding of our national gold and silver reserves.  The amount i suggested is a literal pittance compared to what companies are paying to rip and ship raw resources out of our nation.

Canada was founded as, and continues to be, a plunderers wet dream.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm

Conservative made. 

Don't forget who sold off our nationalized oil company, Petro-Can. POS Mulroney.

Whereas a country like Norway would use the profits from their Nationalized oil company to fund things like The Government Pension Fund (today worth over 1.44 trillion USD) our fuck stick politicians sell of our crown corps used for public good to private parties and we get fuck all in exchange.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

Don't forget who sold off our nationalized oil company, Petro-Can. POS Mulroney.

Whereas a country like Norway would use the profits from their Nationalized oil company to fund things like The Government Pension Fund (today worth over 1.4 billion USD) our fuck stick politicians sell of our crown corps used for public good to private parties and we get fuck all in exchange.

It baffles me that people are still willing to vote for the Cons. When you think the Liberals aren't bad enough at screwing us, vote Con!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Recent years have seen land and real-estate prices in many European cities spiralling out of control. To counteract this development, the City of Vienna amended its Building Code in November 2018 by introducing the “Subsidised Housing” zoning category. Thus, if a plot is classified as belonging to the “Subsidised Housing” category, two thirds of the useable floorspace created for housing purposes must as a rule be taken up by subsidised dwellings. This approach caps rents and safeguards that affordable dwellings will continue to be constructed across the entire city, which, in its turn, ensures another objective – a good social mix all over Vienna.

I believe Vancouve has recently approved new zoning regulations that allow for 6 homes per lot.  I wonder if there was any consideration given to making it a condition that such developments must contain one or two subsidized dwellings.

Although, to be frank, I'm not sure how that would work.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

It baffles me that people are still willing to vote for the Cons. When you think the Liberals aren't bad enough at screwing us, vote Con!

In the US Politics thread, here and on CDC, there are some posters who like to claim that both parties are the same, which to me is am obvious false equivalency....but, in Canada I think it's closer to the truth.

I don't think that we, as a country would be in all that much of a different position had O'Toole unseated Trudeau as PM. That being said Pollievre seems to echo the worst of what we saw from the MAGA movement and I would hate to see that sort of dog whistle heavy, policy light brand of electioneering gain a foothold in my country.

Pollivre's stance on public health mandates alone, makes him dangerous, IMHO and I worry about the damage he might do, if elected. It's why I am hoping Trudeau sees the writing on the wall and steps aside "to focus on family", or whatever reason makes him comfortable in doing so.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Pretty much. When I left it was due to a lack of work I wanted to do, but now it would be ideological. Small Alberta just wouldn't work for me.

I kid Saskatchewan, but I spent much of the 80's there and have some really good memories. (as well as some bad, of course)

I believe you mentioned having a cousin in Yorkton, which immediately made me wonder if you're of Russian descent.

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I kid Saskatchewan, but I spent much of the 80's there and have some really good memories. (as well as some bad, of course)

I believe you mentioned having a cousin in Yorkton, which immediately made me wonder if you're of Russian descent.

Yep. And Ukraine too. I'm a Slavic mutt. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/alberta-s-pension-plan-proposal-a-financial-leap-or-a-political-ploy/ar-AA1jadMN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=441821e4be3d49b7952c524599e913cc&ei=76

"In a virtual gathering that underscores the gravity of Canada's evolving pension landscape, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland has convened a meeting of the nation's finance ministers. The agenda? A contentious proposal from Alberta to withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), a blueprint that could redraw the financial futures of millions.

The proposal, championed by Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, seeks to establish a provincial pension plan, severing the province's ties with the CPP. It's underpinned by a report commissioned by Alberta's government, suggesting that the province is entitled to an eye-watering $334 billion from the CPP, over half of its current $575 billion in assets.

Yet, this move is not without its critics. From Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to Ontario Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy, the chorus of dissent underscores the perceived flaws in Alberta's exit strategy. According to the proposed formula, if applied to Alberta, Ontario, and British Columbia, these provinces would receive an untenable 128% of CPP assets, an outcome Freeland has categorically deemed 'absurd'.

From the vantage point of critics, the proposal is riddled with inaccuracies. Gillian Steward, writing for The Star, is especially scathing. Steward critiques the 'lousy math', pointing out the incongruity of Alberta claiming 53% of CPP's assets, despite only contributing 15% of its payments.

She suggests the move is less about financial prudence and more about political maneuvering, potentially leaving Albertans worse off.

Moreover, a poll conducted by the Alberta Federation of Labour found that 63% of Albertans prefer to stay with the CPP rather than risk their pensions on an untested provincial plan. The proposal, thus, not only faces resistance from the federal government and other provinces but also from the very citizens it purports to benefit.

The Meeting: A Confluence of Concerns

Amid this backdrop of critique and controversy, Freeland's meeting seeks to unpack the implications of Alberta's proposal. Recognizing Alberta's legal right to opt out of the CPP, Freeland emphasizes the need for a clear understanding of the risks involved. This meeting is not just about dissecting Alberta's exit formula; it's a broader attempt to ensure the CPP's sustainability — a safety net for workers and retirees across Canada.

The risks involved are a propped up system that they use as their personal piggy bank. With a huge provider to the CPP, if Alberta goes, they will have to draw from elsewhere (likely more taxes). We are one of the most poorly managed economies on the planet. 

2 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The risks involved are a propped up system that they use as their personal piggy bank. With a huge provider to the CPP, if Alberta goes, they will have to draw from elsewhere (likely more taxes). We are one of the most poorly managed economies on the planet. 

who would you look to as an example of a well run economy?

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

In the US Politics thread, here and on CDC, there are some posters who like to claim that both parties are the same, which to me is am obvious false equivalency....but, in Canada I think it's closer to the truth.

I don't think that we, as a country would be in all that much of a different position had O'Toole unseated Trudeau as PM. That being said Pollievre seems to echo the worst of what we saw from the MAGA movement and I would hate to see that sort of dog whistle heavy, policy light brand of electioneering gain a foothold in my country.

Pollivre's stance on public health mandates alone, makes him dangerous, IMHO and I worry about the damage he might do, if elected. It's why I am hoping Trudeau sees the writing on the wall and steps aside "to focus on family", or whatever reason makes him comfortable in doing so.

My guess is if Pierre is elected peoples health will remain the same. Those that want vaccines and to wear masks can and those who don't want to, won't. 

The intake of boosters right now is 7%. That is woefully low for something that some claim is a miracle of science. There are always going to be those who get their flue shots every year. The majority do not want them and forcing them is nonsensical. 

If Pierre gets elected and he comes up with a miracle drug for RSV and he says you and your kids MUST get it, I bet you wouldn't. This is why politicians should have NEVER been allowed into the world of health, it should have been 100% independent. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who would you look to as an example of a well run economy?

- Nordic countries due to their strong institutions, low corruption, and efficient regulatory environments.

- South Korea and Japan are investing heavily in research and development and have a high rate of innovation. 

- BRICS, only because they are emerging. 

- Saudi Arabia and the UAE for their use of their natural resources.

- Germany for their manufacturing ability. 

A smart leadership in Canada would look to those nations, and run this place like the better parts of those. It really isn't rocket science. What they have chosen to do here is asinine. 

3 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

My guess is if Pierre is elected peoples health will remain the same. Those that want vaccines and to wear masks can and those who don't want to, won't. 

The intake of boosters right now is 7%. That is woefully low for something that some claim is a miracle of science. There are always going to be those who get their flue shots every year. The majority do not want them and forcing them is nonsensical. 

If Pierre gets elected and he comes up with a miracle drug for RSV and he says you and your kids MUST get it, I bet you wouldn't. This is why politicians should have NEVER been allowed into the world of health, it should have been 100% independent. 

First of all, I never took any vaccine because of something a politician told me. It always was and always will be because of advice from medical professionals. I know for a fact that my GP approved of the vaccine, because he's the one who gave me my second shot.

Secondly, I would take that shot if advised to do so by medical professionals, despite what any politician might have said.

Finally, I'm not concerned about PP's personal feelings regarding Covid 19. I'm concerned about what his "freest country in the world" commitment would mean for the next dangerous pathogen.....

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

People's health remain the same?

Sure....bring back measles in schools....polio?  No problem.

They are against ALL vaccines being mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

People's health remain the same?

Sure....bring back measles in schools....polio?  No problem.

They are against ALL vaccines being mandatory.

And somehow we managed to survive for decades while they were in power with no resurfacing of those diseases. You'll be fine, remember, your vaccine protects you. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

First of all, I never took any vaccine because of something a politician told me. It always was and always will be because of advice from medical professionals. I know for a fact that my GP approved of the vaccine, because he's the one who gave me my second shot.

Secondly, I would take that shot if advised to do so by medical professionals, despite what any politician might have said.

Finally, I'm not concerned about PP's personal feelings regarding Covid 19. I'm concerned about what his "freest country in the world" commitment would mean for the next dangerous pathogen.....

So what changed where doctors I assume are still saying to get the vaccines but only 7% are getting the most recent booster?  If people listen to their doctors it should be much, much higher. My doctor suggested getting it, I said no. I looked around, looked at my personal situation and decided against it. I have no issue with others doing the same. 

31 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

So what changed where doctors I assume are still saying to get the vaccines but only 7% are getting the most recent booster?  If people listen to their doctors it should be much, much higher. My doctor suggested getting it, I said no. I looked around, looked at my personal situation and decided against it. I have no issue with others doing the same. 

You said no. That's "what changed."

• Cheers 1