Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

- Nordic countries due to their strong institutions, low corruption, and efficient regulatory environments.

- South Korea and Japan are investing heavily in research and development and have a high rate of innovation. 

- BRICS, only because they are emerging. 

- Saudi Arabia and the UAE for their use of their natural resources.

- Germany for their manufacturing ability. 

A smart leadership in Canada would look to those nations, and run this place like the better parts of those. It really isn't rocket science. What they have chosen to do here is asinine. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/rankings/economically-stable

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

In the US Politics thread, here and on CDC, there are some posters who like to claim that both parties are the same, which to me is am obvious false equivalency....but, in Canada I think it's closer to the truth.

I don't think that we, as a country would be in all that much of a different position had O'Toole unseated Trudeau as PM. That being said Pollievre seems to echo the worst of what we saw from the MAGA movement and I would hate to see that sort of dog whistle heavy, policy light brand of electioneering gain a foothold in my country.

Pollivre's stance on public health mandates alone, makes him dangerous, IMHO and I worry about the damage he might do, if elected. It's why I am hoping Trudeau sees the writing on the wall and steps aside "to focus on family", or whatever reason makes him comfortable in doing so.

Sorry, just can't agree.

EVERY time the cons have power, Canada loses bigger. Tax breaks for the wealthy, race to the bottom, selling off Canadian assets to balance budgets (Petro, wheat board...), slashes to social safety nets, coast guard...

Nevermind the healthy undercurrent in the party of regressive, archaic social policies, and the almost complete denial of climate issues (or their obvious economic side effects).

But yes, PP seems to bring even more of these negative issues.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think you are quoting US numbers. What is it in BC?

I am not sure. I doubt they are measuring. 57% got 3 doses, which in itself is telling as that was Q3 2021. 

If America is at 7% we will not be far off, we follow in lock step as our populations and lifestyles are quite similar. 

Just now, 5forFighting said:

I am not sure. I doubt they are measuring. 57% got 3 doses, which in itself is telling as that was Q3 2021. 

If America is at 7% we will not be far off, we follow in lock step as our populations and lifestyles are quite similar. 

Dunno. When I got mine our pharmacist said she was extremely busy with bookings. Maybe it depends on which community you are in.

5 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

If it's only 15% that is a massive shift from 5 years ago. Do you have a source for that?

Screenshot2023-11-01114953.thumb.png.706eadcb88efc2640b339a6cbf8a3886.png

There are lots of reasons why this happens.  Contributions to CPP are capped, so having a large number of young workers who earn more than $66,600 means of course there will be a large net positive in contributions.  If there are large numbers of workers who earn less than $66,600 and/or seniors who are collecting, it will reduce the net contributions.  Simple math.  Lots of oil and gas jobs will kinda skew things that way.

Ultimately, they are the workers benefits.  It isn't a scam.  I'd love to see if large numbers of those workers who are flocking to Alberta stay and collect their benefits when they retire, or if they move to a different province.  

• Vintage 2

17 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/alberta-s-pension-plan-proposal-a-financial-leap-or-a-political-ploy/ar-AA1jadMN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=441821e4be3d49b7952c524599e913cc&ei=76

"In a virtual gathering that underscores the gravity of Canada's evolving pension landscape, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland has convened a meeting of the nation's finance ministers. The agenda? A contentious proposal from Alberta to withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), a blueprint that could redraw the financial futures of millions.

The proposal, championed by Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, seeks to establish a provincial pension plan, severing the province's ties with the CPP. It's underpinned by a report commissioned by Alberta's government, suggesting that the province is entitled to an eye-watering $334 billion from the CPP, over half of its current $575 billion in assets.

Yet, this move is not without its critics. From Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to Ontario Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy, the chorus of dissent underscores the perceived flaws in Alberta's exit strategy. According to the proposed formula, if applied to Alberta, Ontario, and British Columbia, these provinces would receive an untenable 128% of CPP assets, an outcome Freeland has categorically deemed 'absurd'.

From the vantage point of critics, the proposal is riddled with inaccuracies. Gillian Steward, writing for The Star, is especially scathing. Steward critiques the 'lousy math', pointing out the incongruity of Alberta claiming 53% of CPP's assets, despite only contributing 15% of its payments.

She suggests the move is less about financial prudence and more about political maneuvering, potentially leaving Albertans worse off.

Moreover, a poll conducted by the Alberta Federation of Labour found that 63% of Albertans prefer to stay with the CPP rather than risk their pensions on an untested provincial plan. The proposal, thus, not only faces resistance from the federal government and other provinces but also from the very citizens it purports to benefit.

The Meeting: A Confluence of Concerns

Amid this backdrop of critique and controversy, Freeland's meeting seeks to unpack the implications of Alberta's proposal. Recognizing Alberta's legal right to opt out of the CPP, Freeland emphasizes the need for a clear understanding of the risks involved. This meeting is not just about dissecting Alberta's exit formula; it's a broader attempt to ensure the CPP's sustainability — a safety net for workers and retirees across Canada.

2 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

So what changed where doctors I assume are still saying to get the vaccines but only 7% are getting the most recent booster?  If people listen to their doctors it should be much, much higher. My doctor suggested getting it, I said no. I looked around, looked at my personal situation and decided against it. I have no issue with others doing the same.

Nor do I. As I said, what worries me with PP is the next pandemic.

55 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Religion is important to more people than not. 

So what? you can't believe all of them. 

Still doesn't explain why the massive drop off. 70% of Americans received 2 doses, now the latest is 7%. 

people are fatigued on information. Social media garbage is the most likely culprit. 

Religion is important to more people than not. 

It's also important to keep it out of government and science.  Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.  This is why maniacs like PP are unfit to rule civilized countries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Less people are getting the vax, because the virus has mutated to the point of much less lethality.

The older folk will likely continue to get vaxed, and those of us with older friends and relatives will also likely get the jab.

No, no, you don't get it G....

The fact that less people are getting the jab means it was all a big scam from the get go....:frantic:

• Haha 3

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Like, do you even Pharma, bro?

thats a good one 🤣

Listen I get it, it has its share of slime balls, like every other big industry. But there are many many good folks working in pharma who have actual good intentions and provide life saving treatments people can afford. Some Vancouver companies in fact. 

Whenever I see "big Pharma" used as some kind of blanket condemnation of the entire thing I just think, uh huh, wait till you have an actual illness. 

I really hope the NDP and Libs can get the pharmacare program started before PP takes over, because he'll kill it given the chance. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Can I pick option B?

"Don't let the inmates run the asylum"

As it stands today, I have no doubt PP will at least win a minority, probably a small majority. 

Hoping something comes up to shift that, but right now, yeah thats what we're looking at. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So what? you can't believe all of them. 

people are fatigued on information. Social media garbage is the most likely culprit. 

I think if there were bodies in the streets of unvaccinated people from covid, it would be 100% uptake. Social media is garbage. People in general will never be fatigued on information, the human mind is a meat computer for most people and it wants to be fed constantly. It's healthy. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

As it stands today, I have no doubt PP will at least win a minority, probably a small majority. 

Hoping something comes up to shift that, but right now, yeah thats what we're looking at. 

Maybe they can rig the elections! 😳

I think if there were bodies in the streets of unvaccinated people from covid, it would be 100% uptake.

if only we had something to prevent that. 

Social media is garbage. People in general will never be fatigued on information, the human mind is a meat computer for most people and it wants to be fed constantly. It's healthy. 

I don't think so anymore, I think we're inundated with it and top out.