Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Rob Eh said:

I heard that going around, its not true. She was 100% Cree and was adopted by a white/Italian 'Christian' family in Mass. They are saying she is lying about that, showed some suspect documents from 80 years ago and act like the government did nothing wrong by selling her to a pedophile.

But isn't the Piapot chief defending her background?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But isn't the Piapot chief defending her background?

Yes, no one knows exactly who her parents are, the pedo's gass lighted her on her origin. I believe her before i believe a bunch of government money suckers. 

She did 1,000 more for FN than the selfish fat cow in video

5 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Yes, no one knows exactly who her parents are, the pedo's gass lighted her on her origin. I believe her before i believe a bunch of government money suckers. 

She did 1,000 more for FN than the selfish fat cow in video

I don't know what you're talking about with the 'pedo' stuff? What is that?

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't know what you're talking about with the 'pedo' stuff? What is that?

You have to watch it to the end. They hid it in the last 3 minutes in true scummy CBC fashion. This is a political hit piece but what else would you expect from CBC?

Muck raking government money suckers.

38 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

You have to watch it to the end. They hid it in the last 3 minutes in true scummy CBC fashion. This is a political hit piece but what else would you expect from CBC?

Muck raking government money suckers.

I watched the whole thing this morning.  My take on this seems to be the polar opposite of yours.

I was left with the feeling she's been fooling people for years and that there is compelling proof to back that up.  My impression was that she came up with a good story to help launch her folk singing career, a career which brought her a great deal of money and fame. There were a lot of background stories being made up by folk singers in New York in the early 60's.   Bob Dylan had a new story every week (and still makes things up all the time).   Buffy's story seemed to go through a lot of changes too until she settled on one she held on to. 

The pedo accusations towards her brother look like they arrived only after he had made attempts to prove that she was not indigenous.  At this point, it's all she said/he said and anyone can pick a side.   

I know she did many good things for aboriginals.   Many are still standing by her because of what she has said and done on their behalf.

I also know that this is not the first instance of someone being accused, or proven to be, a 'Pretendian'.  The first one I heard of was Grey Owl and he, an Englishman, made a lot of money writing books and going on speaking tours in the 1930's.   

There have been a bunch more in the States and in Canada over the years.  Actors, artists, writers, academics, all of whom profited through pretense.   Are you that bugged about them too?   

I see you don't like the CBC much and seem to shooting both the message and the messenger.  This is national news and that's the business of the CBC.   I bet the other networks would have liked to have scooped them and broadcast it all first.   If they had, it would have been in no less a glossy and sensational package than the CBC provided.

CBC was just the messenger here.   Messages like these are all started by indigenous academics who are tired of the charades.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I watched the whole thing this morning.  My take on this seems to be the polar opposite of yours.

I was left with the feeling she's been fooling people for years and that there is compelling proof to back that up.  My impression was that she came up with a good story to help launch her folk singing career, a career which brought her a great deal of money and fame. There were a lot of background stories being made up by folk singers in New York in the early 60's.   Bob Dylan had a new story every week (and still makes things up all the time).   Buffy's story seemed to go through a lot of changes too until she settled on one she held on to. 

The pedo accusations towards her brother look like they arrived only after he had made attempts to prove that she was not indigenous.  At this point, it's all she said/he said and anyone can pick a side.   

I know she did many good things for aboriginals.   Many are still standing by her because of what she has said and done on their behalf.

I also know that this is not the first instance of someone being accused, or proven to be, a 'Pretendian'.  The first one I heard of was Grey Owl and he, an Englishman, made a lot of money writing books and going on speaking tours in the 1930's.   

There have been a bunch more in the States and in Canada over the years.  Actors, artists, writers, academics, all of whom profited through pretense.   Are you that bugged about them too?   

I see you don't like the CBC much and seem to shooting both the message and the messenger.  This is national news and that's the business of the CBC.   I bet the other networks would have liked to have scooped them and broadcast it all first.   If they had, it would have been in no less a glossy and sensational package than the CBC provided.

CBC was just the messenger here.   Messages like these are all started by indigenous academics who are tired of the charades.

Sadly I agree with you 100%.….and I didn’t want to believe it.

She has done a lot for the indigenous community but she has taken much from them as well. Every award she received was stolen from the next in line.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sadly I agree with you 100%.….and I didn’t want to believe it.

She has done a lot for the indigenous community but she has taken much from them as well. Every award she received was stolen from the next in line.

Yeah, I might have pointed out that I was also shocked and saddened by the news.  It's a drag when someone you respect falls.

Not saying Buffy crossed the same line, but I used to have a great respect for Bill Cosby too.  I even liked Johnny Depp at one time - before all the nonsense - and it turns out he's likely a pretendian too.

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Coronavirus vs. Flu Deaths­

COVID-19: Current COVID-19 deaths*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

The COVID-19 situation continues to change, sometimes rapidly. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19. At present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu.

*This information comes from the Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases map developed by the Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

For my demographic. I'm not elderly or obese.

Edited by MightyCPC

21 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

Those were crazy times. I was cheering them on. Longer term effects of the mrna are the question imo.

We're coming up on the 3 year anniversary of the first authorizations.  December will mark the 3 year anniversary that the first millions of doses were given. 

How much more time do we have to wait for these long term effects to kick in?

10 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

We're coming up on the 3 year anniversary of the first authorizations.  December will mark the 3 year anniversary that the first millions of doses were given. 

How much more time do we have to wait for these long term effects to kick in?

I'd like to see a total mortality rate for unvaccinated vs vaccinated. Three years is enough for me. It should be broken down by age group.

Sorry two things.

one, is this the Canadian Politics page or the Covid/Vaccine page?

Secondly, the world has now seen over 12 billion total injections from the related covid vaccines with less than 500k total severe VAERS incidents.  That is .0041%

You have better odds of winning the lottery twice in the same week than you do of getting a bad reaction that affects of a covid vaccine by those numbers.

That being said.  As almost all major health regulations and restrictions were passed at the provincial levels and as Canada has or had 8+ Conservative governments in provincial control during or through Covid why the absolute hell do people still blame liberals, trudeau or anyone but the actual people in charge for their not being able to sit their asses on a pub stool to have a beer and complain about how sock boy is the cause of all their problems?

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

why the absolute hell do people still blame liberals, trudeau or anyone but the actual people in charge for their not being able to sit their asses on a pub stool to have a beer and complain about how sock boy is the cause of all their problems?

You already know the answer to that question, friend. Lol

There are some that listen to wrong people, read the wrong books (if at all), watch the wrong videos, etc. and generally lack the knowledge and/or life experience to critically think about what they think about.

11 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I watched this because Buffy St. Marie is a person I have admired for decades. An incredibly talented singer/songwriter. The show suggests she assumed the native ID while she was struggling to establish herself in NYC. If that was true it was a gutsy move. The accusations she made about her brother is contrasted by the picture of a family get together when Buffy was in her 20's when her brother was prominent. There is no doubt that she has been a force in promoting native American circumstances. She has done much good.

The simple solution to this question is a DNA test. Elizabeth Warren claimed status but failed the test. If Buffy wanted to disprove this story she could take the test. I wish her well.  

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I watched this because Buffy St. Marie is a person I have admired for decades. An incredibly talented singer/songwriter. The show suggests she assumed the native ID while she was struggling to establish herself in NYC. If that was true it was a gutsy move. The accusations she made about her brother is contrasted by the picture of a family get together when Buffy was in her 20's when her brother was prominent. There is no doubt that she has been a force in promoting native American circumstances. She has done much good.

The simple solution to this question is a DNA test. Elizabeth Warren claimed status but failed the test. If Buffy wanted to disprove this story she could take the test. I wish her well.  

It sounds like you can't really determine native ancestry through DNA tests, at least according to Wikepedia:

While there are some genetic markers that are more common among Native Americans, these markers are also found in Asia, and in other parts of the world. The commercial DNA companies that offer ethnicity tests do not have a large enough pool of North American DNA to provide reliable matches. The most popular companies have admitted to having no North American DNA, and that their "matches" are to Central Asian and South or Central American populations; smaller companies may have a very small pool from one tribe who participated in a medical study. The exploitation of Indigenous genetic material, like the theft of human remains, land and artifacts, has led to widespread distrust to outright boycotts of these companies by Native communities. While a DNA test may bring up some markers associated with some Indigenous or Asian populations (and the science there is fairly problematic, as TallBear describes in her book Native American DNA), as Indigenous identity is based in citizenship, family and community, a genetic marker does not make a person Indigenous.

I gave all this a bit more thought over night.   I still think Buffy spawned a lie, but after more reading and reflection I'm starting to accept the last sentence above - Indigenous identity is based in citizenship, family and community.  

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

gave all this a bit more thought over night.   I still think Buffy spawned a lie, but after more reading and reflection I'm starting to accept the last sentence above - Indigenous identity is based in citizenship, family and community.  

At the end of the day, it's not our place to tell the indigenous community that someone shouldn't be considered a member.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

No, but what evidence do you have of any wrong doing then? Just that your guy lost?

My guy? The evidence is others have been caught. You aren't catching them all.

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

At the end of the day, it's not our place to tell the indigenous community that someone shouldn't be considered a member.

What about their vaccines?