Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Ah thx, it's a non binding motion but still embarassing for JT. They seem to be in panic mode.

They have been in panic mode for months. It seems like now, every decision they make was worse than the last. I was Trudeau interviews and he is having to act more and more like it isn't bothering him and he is not very good at it. Hearing Percy Downe, a highly regarded and influential Liberal state that he should down and then when asked, Trudeau gives a childish "who?, who?" response is just a horrible look. 

The longer he stays the more likely Pierre gets elected and it could push him into a small majority. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Long term cost and pollution. 

Pollution is irrelevant. It's hard to hear but our miniscule input on the climate is NOT worth killing our economy over. Trudeau is finding that out the hard way. 

Long term cost is something that needs to be taken care of at the municipal and provincial levels. Get natural gas to them or more reliable electricity. 

10 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

It's great, unless you are a liberal who is trying to get re-elected in the next 2 years. 

That's the oof. 

OK I know I might need to write this in crayon or draw a picture.

But common sense is not party related.  Helping canadians is not party related.  Doing the right thing is not party related.  Constantly using partisanship as some sort of point scoring system only ensures other Canadians get screwed and you get to be happy about it because you are little better than a Leafs fan for politics.

Maybe try growing up and not having such a myopic view of things.

Also, why don't you expand for us on what you were attempting to get at regarding first nations and vaccines

Super curious to see what point you were trying to make

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

OK I know I might need to write this in crayon or draw a picture.

But common sense is not party related.  Helping canadians is not party related.  Doing the right thing is not party related.  Constantly using partisanship as some sort of point scoring system only ensures other Canadians get screwed and you get to be happy about it because you are little better than a Leafs fan for politics.

Maybe try growing up and not having such a myopic view of things.

Also, why don't you expand for us on what you were attempting to get at regarding first nations and vaccines

Super curious to see what point you were trying to make

There is no such thing as common sense. Your opinion is as irrelevant as mine. You can be as condescending as you like, but it doesn't change anything. 

Crayons, pictures, growing up? 

As for the vaccines, my statement speaks for itself. I watched what happened to the bands around me. It was a disgusting mess by our government as it related to vaccines. 

20 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

There is no such thing as common sense. Your opinion is as irrelevant as mine. You can be as condescending as you like, but it doesn't change anything. 

Crayons, pictures, growing up? 

As for the vaccines, my statement speaks for itself. I watched what happened to the bands around me. It was a disgusting mess by our government as it related to vaccines. 

There is no such thing as common sense?

You're kind of proving that right aren't ya.

Ya crayons, Pictures.  I dunno how to further dumb it down for you short of comic sans and a bright colour

Ya no no.  About the point you're trying to make using first nations bands and members as a talking point.  Do go on.  What exactly is it you're trying to claim or say here.  Super interested to hear this coming from such an obvious scholar and gentleman.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya crayons, Pictures.  I dunno how to further dumb it down for you short of comic sans and a bright colour

Ya no no.  About the point you're trying to make using first nations bands and members as a talking point.  Do go on.  What exactly is it you're trying to claim or say here.  Super interested to hear this coming from such an obvious scholar and gentleman.

I am convinced he is just a troll now.  Nothing he says makes sense and he doesn't even know it.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not going to engage with someone condescending. Go take your gate out on someone else. 

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

They have been in panic mode for months. It seems like now, every decision they make was worse than the last. I was Trudeau interviews and he is having to act more and more like it isn't bothering him and he is not very good at it. Hearing Percy Downe, a highly regarded and influential Liberal state that he should down and then when asked, Trudeau gives a childish "who?, who?" response is just a horrible look. 

The longer he stays the more likely Pierre gets elected and it could push him into a small majority. 

Agreed, I do think Trudeau is headed for certain defeat, barring PP doing something truly stupid.

I want to see Carney take over. We need real financial experts now.

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You do know an oil furnace won't work if the power goes out right?

Probably not.

You must be very young.

I have oil, propane and electric baseboard.

Propane for my fireplace and stove, oil for general heating. You're right, the oil furnace doesn't work in an outage but the propane will.

He's right about natural gas, we can't get it where I live. 

I hate my oil tank and plan to do the heat pump thing next year. May keep the propane for the reason i mentioned but switch the cooker to electric

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You do know an oil furnace won't work if the power goes out right?

Probably not.

You must be very young.

You do realize the vast majority of people using oil tanks have a backup power source, like a generator, right? 
Oil tanks are used in a lot quite cold areas. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I have oil, propane and electric baseboard.

Propane for my fireplace and stove, oil for general heating. You're right, the oil furnace doesn't work in an outage but the propane will.

He's right about natural gas, we can't get it where I live. 

I hate my oil tank and plan to do the heat pump thing next year. May keep the propane for the reason i mentioned but switch the cooker to electric

A generator will run the furnace fan and a lot of the house. Oil tanks are a must in a lot of places, especially the Atlantic provinces. 

Just now, Alflives said:

A generator will run the furnace fan and a lot of the house. Oil tanks are a must in a lot of places, especially the Atlantic provinces. 

yeah. i want a genny

I want solar panels too....seems like I want all forms of power  🙃

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Pollution is irrelevant. It's hard to hear but our miniscule input on the climate is NOT worth killing our economy over. Trudeau is finding that out the hard way. 

Long term cost is something that needs to be taken care of at the municipal and provincial levels. Get natural gas to them or more reliable electricity. 

Disagree about vaccines. They are much needed. Agree about oil tanks. Many rely on them. And those people tend to have a backup heat source, usually wood, and (or) a generator. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

yeah. i want a genny

I want solar panels too....seems like I want all forms of power  🙃

Yup. It would very cool to provide for the house and sell extra power back to the grid. I don’t understand how geothermal works (perhaps a smart poster could explain:) but I heard that’s a good heat source too. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Disagree about vaccines. They are much needed. Agree about oil tanks. Many rely on them. And those people tend to have a backup heat source, usually wood, and (or) a generator. 

Vaccine disagreement is okay. Get yours if you feel you need to, I got the first two. 

We have oil tank heat in the interior. We have both a generator and wood stove. 

We have used them all at one point or another, but oil is 95%. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Not where I live.

Then those folk need to get generators wired into their electrical panels. If the power goes out and it’s well below freezing they’re in big trouble. Maybe the government could help these folk get generators installed? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Vaccine disagreement is okay. Get yours if you feel you need to, I got the first two. 

We have oil tank heat in the interior. We have both a generator and wood stove. 

We have used them all at one point or another, but oil is 95%. 

Time to get a heat pump. 

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. It would very cool to provide for the house and sell extra power back to the grid. I don’t understand how geothermal works (perhaps a smart poster could explain:) but I heard that’s a good heat source too. 

Geothermal is basically a grid in the ground or water which is then ran through a heat pump to capture the heat from the ground/water and then heats or cools it to the desired indoor temperature. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Geothermal is basically a grid in the ground or water which is then ran through a heat pump to capture the heat from the ground/water and then heats or cools it to the desired indoor temperature. 

So if the power goes out the homeowner needs a generator or some other source of electricity than the grid to run the pumps and fans? 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's about accurate.

the issue is, to remove gas oil heating from your home is a HUGE undertaking.  Your duct work and base have to be removed and replaced.  Moving a tank that size from your home means blowing out walls and as half are found either attached to a house or in the basement.  You have to remove them, remodel for it then install and work with a heat pump or gas furnace exchange unit.  These can run in to the tens of thousands or more IF everything goes well and you have a smaller unit in your house that has not contaminated your ground or can be hauled up a stair well

How much does it cost to switch from oil to natural gas?
However, to give you a ballpark figure, many homeowners may expect to pay anywhere from $6,000 – $15,000 to switch from an oil to a gas-fired heating system. The good news is, after the initial costs of installing the new system have been paid, you will immediately begin saving on fuel costs.

I dunno...I've seen some oil tanks in some old places in Nanaimo and they just leave them in the house (and sometimes yards as well). Ductless heat pumps don't need ducting, and if they have ducting, you should be able to use the same ducts in a ducted system. 

According to Google:

How much does it cost to install a mini-split heat pump in Canada?
Between $6,000 to $18,000
The average cost for a ductless heat pump ranges between $6,000 to $18,000. 

I have to think $18,000 is probably for a fairly large/complicated house. This seems like a no brainer to me.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So if the power goes out the homeowner needs a generator or some other source of electricity than the grid to run the pumps and fans? 

Yes a generator or some other backup. I have a wood fireplace that is old and not efficient but will keep the house above freezing. 

• Thanks 1