Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Pollution is irrelevant. It's hard to hear but our miniscule input on the climate is NOT worth killing our economy over. Trudeau is finding that out the hard way. 

Long term cost is something that needs to be taken care of at the municipal and provincial levels. Get natural gas to them or more reliable electricity. 

Doing the right thing is never the wrong thing.

• ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

yeah. i want a genny

I want solar panels too....seems like I want all forms of power  🙃

I'd love a blend of solar and small rooftop wind turbine with battery storage. Most of the time when the power goes out here on the Island, it's windy AF.

31tu0U7QVyL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doing the right thing is never the wrong thing.

Actually if a family freezes to death then that’s the wrong thing. 
We live in a mild coastal climate so freezing to death won’t happen. But for those folks in the parts of Canada that get really cold oil heat is a must (if there is no natural gas). 100% they should have wood heat too, of course and a generator. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO the government should help people (who need them) install generators. 

A generator would be nice but in the 25 years I have lived in this house the longest power outage was about four hours. Most outages are fairly short. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd love a blend of solar and small rooftop wind turbine with battery storage. Most of the time when the power goes out here on the Island, it's windy AF.

31tu0U7QVyL._AC_SX679_.jpg

My bro-in-law has one of those on the top of his lake house. 

Sooo much trouble with it. Think it might be a faulty unit, he has had techs out and has plenty of wind.

We have had lots of fun teasing him about his big fancy non-moving decoration on top of small house.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We live in a mild coastal climate so freezing to death won’t happen. But for those folks in the parts of Canada that get really cold oil heat is a must (if there is no natural gas). 100% they should have wood heat too, of course and a generator. 

Where I live there is no natural gas. However nobody has been installing oil heat for many years. Most are electric or propane with lots of heat pumps being installed. My heat pump still heats my house at -30c though it has to run steady and is not efficient at that temperature. Efficiency starts to drop off at -10

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Time to get a heat pump. 

No chance. Electricity is unreliable up there. 

19 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

A generator would be nice but in the 25 years I have lived in this house the longest power outage was about four hours. Most outages are fairly short. 

That's lucky. We were nearly a week last year. Some were longer around us. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I have oil, propane and electric baseboard.

Propane for my fireplace and stove, oil for general heating. You're right, the oil furnace doesn't work in an outage but the propane will.

He's right about natural gas, we can't get it where I live. 

I hate my oil tank and plan to do the heat pump thing next year. May keep the propane for the reason i mentioned but switch the cooker to electric

There was something I read yesterday, from someone who tried to qualify for it. I will try to find it. It ended up being a 15k dollar nightmare for them and they decided to do the heat pump in their own for for less. 

It wasn't free. They had to pay up front. Were told the rebate would 6 to 12 months and they ended up needing some additional upgrades to their home that wasn't covered in the 'free' heat pump. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Cheap?

I think you can get the turbines at ~$700 and up (quality likely rising with $). Of course you'd also need controllers, inverters, batteries, solar panels (if you're doing a blended/redundant system). All of those things add up...but if you do it, you could all but be off grid and never really have to worry about power outages or electric bills.

Edited by aGENT

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nobody has to freeze to death without oil. That's ridiculous hyperbole.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

There was something I read yesterday, from someone who tried to qualify for it. I will try to find it. It ended up being a 15k dollar nightmare for them and they decided to do the heat pump in their own for for less. 

It wasn't free. They had to pay up front. Were told the rebate would 6 to 12 months and they ended up needing some additional upgrades to their home that wasn't covered in the 'free' heat pump. 

Thx,

I figure it will cost some.

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

My heat pump cost me $9,000 after a rebate from BC Hydro. There were too many hoops to jump through for a federal rebate. 

Just now, 5forFighting said:

It needs to make our energy bills less. 

Kitimat LNG which is estimated to be bringing in BC alone over 500 million a year is yet to be semi-operational. They are in the construction and testing phase.

Phase 2 which will bring in the other half of the plant won't start till it is semi-operational. Probably won't start till 2025/26

A lot of eyes on Canada with this site. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Then those folk need to get generators wired into their electrical panels. If the power goes out and it’s well below freezing they’re in big trouble. Maybe the government could help these folk get generators installed? 

The power rarely goes out.  You must live in the interior where weather is very cold.

But if the power goes out does a generator work if its wired into electrical panals?

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

26 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

I would love to read you source.