Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

56 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My bro-in-law has one of those on the top of his lake house. 

Sooo much trouble with it. Think it might be a faulty unit, he has had techs out and has plenty of wind.

We have had lots of fun teasing him about his big fancy non-moving decoration on top of small house.

These look pretty cool:

https://ridgeblade.com/rb1-residential/

DSC_0046-1024x680-1.jpg

• ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think you can get the turbines at ~$700 and up (quality likely rising with $). Of course you'd also need controllers, inverters, batteries, solar panels (if you're doing a blended/redundant system). All of those things add up...but if you do it, you could all but be off grid and never really have to worry about power outages or electric bills.

I like the sound of that. Do you know who makes them by chance?

48 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

By that argument so is the wrong thing.

Not flaming you, just pointing out what seemed clear to me when I read that.

Sure, that's what breeds discussion. 

44 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kitimat LNG which is estimated to be bringing in BC alone over 500 million a year is yet to be semi-operational. They are in the construction and testing phase.

Phase 2 which will bring in the other half of the plant won't start till it is semi-operational. Probably won't start till 2025/26

A lot of eyes on Canada with this site. 

Do we not have the largest natural gas lake just off our shores? We should almost be giving natural gas free to to residents. 

Maybe immigration would spike though. 

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

I like the sound of that. Do you know who makes them by chance?

Sure, that's what breeds discussion. 

I mostly know "of them", certainly no expert. There's probably a billion wind turbine companies....a lot likely cheap crap 🤣 I posted one above that looks neat...do some research 😉 

Just now, aGENT said:

I mostly know "of them", certainly no expert. There's probably a billion wind turbine companies....a lot likely cheap crap 🤣 I posted one above that looks neat...do some research 😉 

Our house in Nova Scotia was very close to one of those Don Quixote plants (17 windmills). That plant generated power for all the homes in the area. Plus all the businesses. Plus the largest bottom fishery in Canada. And it had extra to add to the Nova Scotia grid. I’m not too sure how much each windmill produced, but it must have been a heck of a lot. The fishing industry there was massive. 150 huge boats. Lots of processing plants. And even more ice plants. (Every boat, when they go out, puts thousands of pounds of ice into the hold). 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our house in Nova Scotia was very close to one of those Don Quixote plants (17 windmills). That plant generated power for all the homes in the area. Plus all the businesses. Plus the largest bottom fishery in Canada. And it had extra to add to the Nova Scotia grid. I’m not too sure how much each windmill produced, but it must have been a heck of a lot. The fishing industry there was massive. 150 huge boats. Lots of processing plants. And even more ice plants. (Every boat, when they go out, puts thousands of pounds of ice into the hold). 

Cheap ice for your glass of scotch.. nice....

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kitimat LNG which is estimated to be bringing in BC alone over 500 million a year is yet to be semi-operational. They are in the construction and testing phase.

Phase 2 which will bring in the other half of the plant won't start till it is semi-operational. Probably won't start till 2025/26

A lot of eyes on Canada with this site. 

Coastal Gaslink pipeline recently did their last weld on the physical pipeline.  The line should be tested by the end of the year.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/coastal-gaslink-pipeline-fully-installed-tc-energy-1.6623661#:~:text=The Coastal GasLink pipeline%2C one,Canadian history%2C is physically complete.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm from New Brunswick! Hello fellow Maritimer..

20 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Francois Lake is west of PG.

I know exactly where Francois Lake is. That's not what he said.

Seems odd that someone who lives there wouldn't know what the name is....

1 hour ago, Spur1 said:

In BC. 

I've been pretty much everywhere in BC and I've never heard of it.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I know exactly where Francois Lake is. That's not what he said.

Seems odd that someone who lives there wouldn't know what the name is....

I've been pretty much everywhere in BC and I've never heard of it.

You're mad my autocorrect on my phone put someone's last name and I didn't bother to correct it?

Letouching legrass is lefree.

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Agreed, I do think Trudeau is headed for certain defeat, barring PP doing something truly stupid.

I want to see Carney take over. We need real financial experts now.

You have been a pretty consistent supporter of JT for some time. Now you are opting for a financial expert? Not that I disagree with Carney being a reasonable Liberal option. I guess a review of his time at the Bank of Canada and Bank of England is in order. My hope is that his time with Bruce Flatt has served him well. 

My critic of the CPC is that it is top down and light on philosophical reasoning. It might be there but my lack of knowing speaks to their level of communication with party members and the general public. PP is popular right now because he is speaking to what many Canadians are experiencing. That can change quickly especially with a Liberal Party that rules by polls versus real understanding. Handouts usual sways support. Heat Pumps the latest example. 

Globe & Mail had an interesting piece that all Canadians should read. It compares the performance of the Canadian economy to the USA. I mentioned the other day that combined government debt federal, provincial and municipal now exceeds $3 trillion. Add to that citizen debt of $183 per $100 of income (stand to be corrected). This is a serious ticking time bomb. Carrying this debt requires a level of confidence in the economy which IMO is not warranted.  IMHO real estate valuations are overstated whether residential or commercial. Defaults are not higher as duration is being extended. 

How can this debt be serviced? Usually GDP growth minimalizes this cost. Even with 1 million new Canadians each year the Canadian GDP growth is at zero! The USA is at 4.9%. GDP growth per capita over the past decade is USA + 16%, Canada + 6%. Canada now ranks 18th in the OECD productivity rating which is 72% of the USA. If we think the Americans have serious problems where does that leave us?

Why have a serious discussion of Canada's financial situation when emotionalism and petty politics works so well and is the default approach in this country.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You have been a pretty consistent supporter of JT for some time. Now you are opting for a financial expert?

I've voted liberal because they represent more of what I think is important. I used to support the PCs pre-reform merger.

I really liked Paul Martin - that's the kind of leader we need now imo.

Trudeau has run his course. He needs to recognize that before his party is burned down.

Not that I disagree with Carney being a reasonable Liberal option. I guess a review of his time at the Bank of Canada and Bank of England is in order. My hope is that his time with Bruce Flatt has served him well. 

Carney has international recognition as a serious person as well.

My critic of the CPC is that it is top down and light on philosophical reasoning. It might be there but my lack of knowing speaks to their level of communication with party members and the general public. PP is popular right now because he is speaking to what many Canadians are experiencing. That can change quickly especially with a Liberal Party that rules by polls versus real understanding. Handouts usual sways support. Heat Pumps the latest example. 

Globe & Mail had an interesting piece that all Canadians should read. It compares the performance of the Canadian economy to the USA. I mentioned the other day that combined government debt federal, provincial and municipal now exceeds $3 trillion. Add to that citizen debt of $183 per $100 of income (stand to be corrected). This is a serious ticking time bomb. Carrying this debt requires a level of confidence in the economy which IMO is not warranted.  IMHO real estate valuations are overstated whether residential or commercial. Defaults are not higher as duration is being extended. 

How can this debt be serviced? Usually GDP growth minimalizes this cost. Even with 1 million new Canadians each year the Canadian GDP growth is at zero! The USA is at 4.9%. GDP growth per capita over the past decade is USA + 16%, Canada + 6%. Canada now ranks 18th in the OECD productivity rating which is 72% of the USA. If we think the Americans have serious problems where does that leave us?

Why have a serious discussion of Canada's financial situation when emotionalism and petty politics works so well and is the default approach in this country.  

PP is all about emotional appeals. The CPC has nothing better to offer economically. 

Carney tho could imo. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You have been a pretty consistent supporter of JT for some time. Now you are opting for a financial expert? Not that I disagree with Carney being a reasonable Liberal option. I guess a review of his time at the Bank of Canada and Bank of England is in order. My hope is that his time with Bruce Flatt has served him well. 

If you mean with PP and his promotional video, of him standing in front of his family home. Something to the effect, mom used to spend a penny on something, but saved a penny by not buying something else. Really great economic platform. He was done when I saw him marching with that idiot Convoy Trucker, Pat King.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've voted liberal because they represent more of what I think is important. I used to support the PCs pre-reform merger.

I really liked Paul Martin - that's the kind of leader we need now imo.

Trudeau has run his course. He needs to recognize that before his party is burned down.

Carney has international recognition as a serious person as well.

PP is all about emotional appeals. The CPC has nothing better to offer economically. 

Carney tho could imo. 

Whoever ends up leading the country will have their hands tied IMO. When politicians were able to access the public purse with little to no pushback the dye was cast. The debt crisis facing Canada will require real leadership and an ability to explain finance to the Canadian people. 

I think it is a time to internalize Canadian thinking so that we can develop a better understanding of the real values we pursue and how we pay to get there. I know this doesn't play well but I think Canada got 'played' on the energy front. Canadian energy could have paid for a lot of what Canadians wanted for their society. IMO when the USA buys oil from the Saudis and Venezuela it is an affront to our supposedly close relationship. Not a friendly act. America First legislation is not a friendly act when it contravenes existing treaties.     

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Whoever ends up leading the country will have their hands tied IMO. When politicians were able to access the public purse with little to no pushback the dye was cast. The debt crisis facing Canada will require real leadership and an ability to explain finance to the Canadian people. 

I think it is a time to internalize Canadian thinking so that we can develop a better understanding of the real values we pursue and how we pay to get there. I know this doesn't play well but I think Canada got 'played' on the energy front. Canadian energy could have paid for a lot of what Canadians wanted for their society. IMO when the USA buys oil from the Saudis and Venezuela it is an affront to our supposedly close relationship. Not a friendly act. America First legislation is not a friendly act when it contravenes existing treaties.     

Agreed 

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Okay, pretty pumped right now, as I just met Wab Kinew in the Winnipeg airport! What a stud. Future PM one day. Book it.

He seems like a great guy to me. 

• Like 1