Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

WARMINGTON: Canada is starting to look like 1930s Germany

https://canoe.com/news/local-news/warmington-canada-is-starting-to-look-like-1930s-germany/wcm/2919523b-33a7-4d3b-8e01-b5027b0701fa

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

WARMINGTON: Canada is starting to look like 1930s Germany

https://canoe.com/news/local-news/warmington-canada-is-starting-to-look-like-1930s-germany/wcm/2919523b-33a7-4d3b-8e01-b5027b0701fa

This guy's an idiot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1699282757038.jpg

And that, my friends, is how a government mouthpiece becomes formed.

I find it laughable that the Tories would hammer Liberal politicians for not following "cumbersome guidelines" such as ethics, but would "free" journalists from them - with strong ethical journalistic standards being the only thing that makes those journalists worth trusting in the public's eyes.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nothing to see here but the premier of Alberta sitting & chatting with a guy calling for the US military to declare war on Canada & take over a country in which she is a premier of.  Not unlike the time she questioned support for Ukraine in a province which has a LARGE ethnic population of Ukranian origin.  

Also "on brand" with the inclusion of W Brett Wilson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Brett_Wilson#Remarks_regarding_Calgary_mayoral_election

Remarks regarding Calgary mayoral election

On June 3, 2020, Wilson made tweets accusing Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi of "playing the race card" to win the 2017 election.[23] Mayor Nenshi called the "hateful" tweet an example of "casual racism".[24]

In response to the tweet, actor and comic Andrew Phung made a call to Calgary non-profits to stop taking donations from Wilson. Phung stated he would not emcee or host events for organizations working with Wilson.[25]

The Royal Roads University of British Columbia, which had previously issued an honorary degree to Wilson, put forward a statement that they were "deeply disturbed" by Wilson's comments which were "inconsistent with RRU's values and the president's recent statements on anti-racism" and references to Wilson on the university's website were taken down.[26]

The Nashville Predators (which are part owned by Wilson) also issued a statement against the "race card" comment made by Wilson, stating "The Nashville Predators stand against racism and discrimination in all forms. W. Brett Wilson is one of many investors in the Nashville Predators Ownership Group, and his views, comments and social media posts do not reflect or represent the views of the organization or the National Hockey League."[27]

The reaction prompted Wilson to "apologize without reservation".[28]

Hang protestors for treason

In 2018, Wilson produced a series of tweets describing anti-pipeline activists as "slimy bastards," calling for them to be hanged for "treason".[29][30][31][32] CBC Calgary decided against using Wilson as a future commentator because of these comments.[23]

Petition for removal from the Order of Canada Advisory Council

In May 2018, Wilson suggested that money be raised to pay B.C. NDP MLAs to cross the floor and bring down B.C.'s minority government, which resulted in a petition that he be removed from the Order of Canada advisory council "for his continued un-democratic and un-civil comments inciting violence against Canadians and undermining democratic institutions in our country."[33]

He and Tucker can wax poetic about the "Great Replacement Theory"....or whatever small minds like to think about these days....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/6/2023 at 7:19 AM, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1699282757038.jpg

This, to me, is just further proof that right now is a bad time to be voting right wing. There's still too many remnants of "Trumpism" that want to move us towards a more propagandist society instead of issues that actually matter.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nothing to see here but the premier of Alberta sitting & chatting with a guy calling for the US military to declare war on Canada & take over a country in which she is a premier of.  Not unlike the time she questioned support for Ukraine in a province which has a LARGE ethnic population of Ukranian origin.  

Why  is he admissible to Canada given his repeated violation of our hate speech laws? 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

But Alberta isn't effected at all by US right wing ideas. 

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

This, to me, is just further proof that right now is a bad time to be voting right wing. There's still too many remnants of "Trumpism" that want to move us towards a more propagandist society instead of issues that actually matter.

Fiscal conservatism and/or Red Tories died when McKay stuck a shiv in Joe Clark's back.  The Social Conservatives run that party now.  

I'm gonna have to start studying my family tree to see if there's any First Nations ancestors in there.  :classic_ohmy:

Indigenous groups argue at the Supreme Court of Canada they are owed billions in historical redress

The Supreme Court of Canada is being asked to order financial redress worth as much as $126-billion to First Nations in Northern Ontario over broken treaty promises more than a century old. Taken together with another broken-promise case, heard last month, it is among the most important reconciliation matters the Supreme Court has heard in recent years.

On Tuesday, the country’s top court heard a case brought by 21 First Nations that ceded lands roughly the size of France in an 1850 treaty. In return, among other things, their members received an annuity, which was to have been augmented as economic conditions allowed – but which has been stuck at $4 a person per year since 1875.

More at:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-indigenous-groups-argue-at-the-supreme-court-of-canada-they-are-owed/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Morning Update&utm_content=2023-11-8_7&utm_term=Morning Update%3A Federal chief technology officer lied about ArriveCan app%2C MPs hear&utm_campaign=newsletter&cu_id=t7%2BP3rI%2Bt%2FYx5Iui%2B6yRZxVYYZ6TE%2BGK

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Wait, Killary also wants to invade Canada?

That low down so and so.

i bet it's the babies blood getting her all riled up. 

It's the baby sauce that makes the pie.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Bernie too!?!!

Why do they all hate us? Frickin invaders...bring it on. 

I like Bernie.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

It's the baby sauce that makes the pie.

It migh be tricky when you try to add it to a pie.

You have to extract the blood right as the baby is pumping its adrenalin, get the poor thing all scared, thats how you get the super power.

You know what's wild? I swear I actually read the above a few years ago ( not the pie part)

• Haha 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

It migh be tricky when you try to add it to a pie.

You have to extract the blood right as the baby is pumping its adrenalin, get the poor thing all scared, thats how you get the super power.

You know what's wild? I swear I actually read the above a few years ago ( not the pie part)

Just wait until you hear how they make baby powder.

Yea the GOP is weird.

• Haha 2