Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Oh, and if governments didn't step in from time to time we'd all still be smoking cigarettes.  🙂

....and driving without seatbelts or airbags....riding bikes without helmets....working at dangerous heights without fall protection, etc., etc.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

My family has birthdays up until November 30th. This should be 100% true no questions asked.

About 30 years ago, there was a Futon shop on Quadra, and Hillside.

Come Christmas time they temp paint a picture of Santa holding a gun to Rudolph's head. Santa was saying "Shop here or red nose gets it"

News did a story about it, someone got all offended and broke the windows a couple nights later.

It was at that time, I began to feel like we maybe doomed, that feeling is getting stronger every day.

Edited by Gurn
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

There are still people smoking cigarettes. That same government said they were safe until the science came back the opposite. Just like alcohol, which the government owns liquor stores, it is not safe.

My discussion of nuclear was not about cars but how it is NOT about the environment because if it were there would be for more nuclear power plants than coal and electricity.  

Nuclear is cleaner and superior to other means of power production. It gets frowned upon because of the word nuclear. 10 years of nuclear plant waste can fit inside of a coke can. 

10 years of nuclear plant waste can fit inside of a coke can and remain dangerous for 100,000 years.

Anyway, it sounds as if we are agreeing to disagree.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Not legally.

That wasn't the statement. There are a LOT of things that get done illegally by the majority of people. Speeding as an example. The average speed on my way to Chilliwack this morning was well over 110km/h and I was getting passed all the way out there. The government is not there to protect you from yourself. If you have that expectation you will be sadly disappointed. 

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Good luck making an insurance claim afterwards.

When I get home safely? 

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

10 years of nuclear plant waste can fit inside of a coke can and remain dangerous for 100,000 years.

Anyway, it sounds as if we are agreeing to disagree.

The waste is only dangerous if disturbed. Even then, you could load a bunch of them up every few years and launch them in the abyss if you wanted to. 

2 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The waste is only dangerous if disturbed. Even then, you could load a bunch of them up every few years and launch them in the abyss if you wanted to. 

We are still just disagreeing.    I'm not sure I want to pursue this though.  Almost time for dinner and the game. 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:52 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/the-royal-canadian-mint-unveils-the-first-coins-bearing-the-face-of-king-charles-iii-1.6644708

The Royal Canadian Mint unveils the first coins bearing the face of King Charles III

king-charles-iii-coin-1-6644802-16999904

The new Canadian coin depicting King Charles III was unveiled on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2023.

rakeitoop-rokeitup.gif.083669166856fac38cc32b28c5529889.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

That wasn't the statement. There are a LOT of things that get done illegally by the majority of people. Speeding as an example. The average speed on my way to Chilliwack this morning was well over 110km/h and I was getting passed all the way out there. The government is not there to protect you from yourself. If you have that expectation you will be sadly disappointed.

It might not be what you were stating, but my comment had to do with the fact that governments have made laws designed to improve the safety of their citizens.

Lots of people speed....and lots of people end up paying fines as a result. Better that than the alternative.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I think it's fairly well established that speed limits and seatbelt mandates have lowered traffic fatalities.....or do you disagree?

Oh, I think the relevant question would be whether fines constitute an effective deterrent for speeding/seatbelt infractions. The obvious answer being 'no', one might then question the actual purpose of said fines. 

Hrhr I pass a road sign on my way to work that reads '25% of all vehicle fatalities are due to speeding'. So, by that math...

To answer your question, yes wearing a seat belt can save your life in a vehicle accident. 

3 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Oh, I think the relevant question would be whether fines constitute an effective deterrent for speeding/seatbelt infractions. The obvious answer being 'no', one might then question the actual purpose of said fines. 

Hrhr I pass a road sign on my way to work that reads '25% of all vehicle fatalities are due to speeding'. So, by that math...

To answer your question, yes wearing a seat belt can save your life in a vehicle accident. 

One might also consider what things would be like with the complete absence of said fines.

13 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

By that logic, you might as well do away with speed limits.

And traffic lights, since the fines for running one clearly are not an effective deterrent.

1 minute ago, Maninthebox said:

Slightly less money in municipal coffers? 

I suppose.   I suspect there may be a few other things of notice.   For one, they'd have to change the road signs you mentioned so that would cost municipalities some money. '25% of all vehicle fatalities are due to speeding'  would likely be far too low a number.

31 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

By that logic, you might as well do away with speed limits.

And traffic lights, since the fines for running one clearly are not an effective deterrent.

No, that's merely a logical fallacy.

Fines are punitive, not preventative.

31 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I suppose.   I suspect there may be a few other things of notice.   For one, they'd have to change the road signs you mentioned so that would cost municipalities some money. '25% of all vehicle fatalities are due to speeding'  would likely be far too low a number.

They should, it's an old sign. No idea how accurate it is.

Side note, some poor fool of a woman died about 400 meters ahead of me just yesterday. She appeared to be speeding (difficult to tell given the circumstances) as she attempted to merge, lost control, and collided with a massive sign column. 

why-not-both-why-not.gif

It might still be accurate.  The other 75% could be a combination of impaired driving (drunk/high/inattentive/medical emergency), mechanical issues (blown tire/blown engine/rocks fall), and/or user error, amongst other possibilities.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

No, that's merely a logical fallacy.

Side note, some poor fool of a woman died about 400 meters ahead of me just yesterday. She appeared to be speeding (difficult to tell given the circumstances) as she attempted to merge, lost control, and collided with a massive sign column. 

Depends on the individual. I get a speeding ticket about every 20 years.  My last ticket was costly but more than that was an embarrassment.  One of my sons was in the car with me.   I have slowed down since and hope not to get another one.

Let's get rid of all signs.   They sound dangerous.

Don't know about you, but I'm starting to tire of this conversation.   Let's just wait until about 6 months after they remove all road fines and then meet back to discuss the results.

My bro just got his truck impounded for a week, plus a bunch of fines including recurring fines on his birthday. Nevermind being without his work vehicle for the week, obviously.

The moron was going 50k over on a highway.

Let's just say he is planning to not speed in the future. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

I don't think it's "obvious" at all....